Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We posted an entry level dev job and the response we've gotten shows its still pretty tough for people to find jobs. There is stuff out there but I'd expect for most people it'll take months.

Having real professional experience even if it isn't coding helps though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

We posted an entry level dev job and the response we've gotten shows its still pretty tough for people to find jobs. There is stuff out there but I'd expect for most people it'll take months.

That's kind of what I've been seeing happen. There are definitely jobs available, but many companies are tightening hiring to minimal. Most companies are just holding on hiring and firing unless it's an absolute need. With that said, I really think anyone targeting joining the field in ~8 months or so could be good timing. I think the value of IT and developers has been really strengthened in this new covid world. It's a service world connected to consumers by online websites and apps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw some speculation that the Biden administration is going to have a tough time unwinding the H1-B freeze situation, so that may make things more favorable to tech workers in the short term (ignoring long term impacts)

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lockback posted:

Same, we're about to hire someone with 4 years experience to do jr level sass work. Jr devs don't even get considered by us now, I feel sorry for people trying to find something right now and wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully it does pick up next year under biden's economy + vaccine(???).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think I've sent out over 50 applications by now and the only non automated response I've gotten has been a startup that has evidently interviewed everyone somehow :negative:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Christ I think I botched my salary negotiation when getting the contract for a new job. I'm currently way underpaid since my current workplace puts way too high an emphasis on education, so when I was asked by my new boss how much I wanted, I used the statistics from my union and asked for the 75th percentile of salaries for software engineers with an M.Sc. and 4 years of experience. I don't have a degree so I figured if I started there maybe I'd land on the median and I'd be on level with people who do have a degree.

In stead they offered me 60 bucks more a month, and at that point I can't backpedal obviously... Is getting more than what you ask for ever not a sign that you should have asked for more?

Joda fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 24, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Joda posted:

Christ I think I botched my salary negotiation when getting the contract for a new job. I'm currently way underpaid since my current workplace puts way too high an emphasis on education, so when I was asked by my new boss how much I wanted, I used the statistics from my union and asked for the 75th percentile of salaries for software engineers with an M.Sc. and 4 years of experience. I don't have a degree so I figured if I started there maybe I'd land on the median and I'd be on level with people who do have a degree.

In stead they offered me 60 bucks more a month, and at that point I can't backpedal obviously... Is getting more than what you ask for ever not a sign that you should have asked for more?

You probably could have asked for more, but it's not the end of the world.

It could be worse, my first job offered me $6500 per year more than I asked for

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Joda posted:

Yes, you shouldn't have said a number to begin with, but you did and hopefully you said a number you're happy with so take the win. If you're unhappy with being underpaid then accept this continue looking for jobs and if you find something better take it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
No I'm not dissatisfied with what I got, it's a 30% increase. I was just wondering 'what if'

But lesson learned; keep a number in mind but insist on them starting

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, if they offer you more than you asked for then you could (should?) have asked for something higher than that from the get go.

But also yeah, no reason at all to feel bad if you’re pleased with the figgies they’ll be giving you.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What if I counter their initial offer and then they give me more than I asked for in the counter? :v:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

That's actually what happened to me, I got more than I initially asked for.

From what I've seen, if you can you should try to ask in a way where they have to talk to their supervisor. If they immediately say something along the lines of "we can do that" or "how about x instead", then you didn't ask for enough. Worse they can say is no to the salary and bring you back down within their budget range, but they still want to hire you and make your total comp doable.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Any good resources on how to best setup a linkedin for dev job finding? Considering what I've got experience-wise I feel like my resume is at a 7 or 8/10 and my linked in is at a 0 or 1 so i should probably bump that up a bit. It feels like a total cesspool to me but I think that's mainly a "gross business people" issue I need to get over.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Put in the jobs you've held, a brief list of what you accomplished at each one, list the languages/framework/etc. that you know as keywords and put a blurb at the top describing what you do and where you see your career going. It is a cesspool, but it's a cesspool you'll have to deal with at some point.

Keep in mind, though, that there's an oversupply of junior developers right now, and recruiters aren't exactly going to be beating down your door to represent you. You're going to be relying on your resume to do the heavy lifting for a few years.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

ultrafilter posted:

Put in the jobs you've held, a brief list of what you accomplished at each one, list the languages/framework/etc. that you know as keywords and put a blurb at the top describing what you do and where you see your career going. It is a cesspool, but it's a cesspool you'll have to deal with at some point.

Keep in mind, though, that there's an oversupply of junior developers right now, and recruiters aren't exactly going to be beating down your door to represent you. You're going to be relying on your resume to do the heavy lifting for a few years.

Okay that sounds reasonable, I can do that. Cheers. Also anecdotally I'm seeing about 60-70% of dev job postings i'm coming across recently wanting specifically senior devs. So it indeed looks like everyone's got all the juniors they can handle and are looking for senior folk. Anyway thanks!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

awesomeolion posted:

Okay that sounds reasonable, I can do that. Cheers. Also anecdotally I'm seeing about 60-70% of dev job postings i'm coming across recently wanting specifically senior devs. So it indeed looks like everyone's got all the juniors they can handle and are looking for senior folk. Anyway thanks!

Don't worry, the pay will be junior.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Gildiss posted:

Don't worry, the pay will be junior.

Haha. It's a funny thing that. On one hand everyone on here with a pulse apparently makes 150k USD at absolute minimum. On the other hand dev jobs in Canada are like "work at TheScore or The Bank and make 80k CDN senior devs only". Anyway... the search continues :)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I work at a non-Faang in Vancouver and make six figgies (cad though) as a senior so there are certainly positions that exist. Just go for the American companies since all of our home grown ones can’t compete financially yet unfortunately.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

So I'm about 3.5 years into my career and have done a fair amount of team hopping, albeit at the same company. I started fresh out of school, and have been on 3 different teams, and had one promotion. Timeline looks like this:

• Team 1
  • 1 years in, promoted
  • 1.5 years in, joined team 2
  • 3 years in, joined team 3

Each role has been fairly unique and I've certainly grown as an engineer, but I suppose I've got more breadth than depth of experience to highlight. I'm kind of feeling my current team of ~6mos may not be a good fit for me in the long run, and I've been at the same company for awhile, so it seems reasonable to at least start looking at my options outside this company.

How should I go about presenting this experience on a resume? My LinkedIn has a role for each bullet point above, but on a resume that seems like it might be a bit odd for one company. :shrug:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Smugworth posted:

So I'm about 3.5 years into my career and have done a fair amount of team hopping, albeit at the same company. I started fresh out of school, and have been on 3 different teams, and had one promotion. Timeline looks like this:

• Team 1
  • 1 years in, promoted
  • 1.5 years in, joined team 2
  • 3 years in, joined team 3

Each role has been fairly unique and I've certainly grown as an engineer, but I suppose I've got more breadth than depth of experience to highlight. I'm kind of feeling my current team of ~6mos may not be a good fit for me in the long run, and I've been at the same company for awhile, so it seems reasonable to at least start looking at my options outside this company.

How should I go about presenting this experience on a resume? My LinkedIn has a role for each bullet point above, but on a resume that seems like it might be a bit odd for one company. :shrug:

Probably fine, don't worry about it. Condense things if you're worried about it looking weird.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
either list the most current title which is probably the most senior or the most recent role at the top with the past titles as subheaders liked linkedin does it. if your title didnt change just bullet point the things you did and achieved on each team

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I usually make sure to list promotion/title changes because it reads as staying with a company and successfully furthering your career through promotions. Different teams aren't necessary to detail, although highlighting the best work done in bullet points are good. Drop the bad, keep the good!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

So I'm in the mostly self-taught camp and have did some recent(ish, about a year ago) courses on fcc, but I eventually put off pursuing it further for a variety of reasons. One of them was the idea of putting together a portfolio of projects, because I have no idea whatsoever what would be considered a worthwhile "project" to include. For example I completed all the front-end, data visualization, and API/microservices projects on FCC but for the most part they all felt like...things I bashed out in a few evenings or over a weekend, not something I'd hang my hat on while job hunting. (Also front-end web dev doesn't strike my interest very much, but if I want to switch careers now I don't know how picky I can be.)

What's an example of an actual project that would actually be worthwhile including in a portfolio for some junior coding position?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr. Peepers posted:

So I'm in the mostly self-taught camp and have did some recent(ish, about a year ago) courses on fcc, but I eventually put off pursuing it further for a variety of reasons. One of them was the idea of putting together a portfolio of projects, because I have no idea whatsoever what would be considered a worthwhile "project" to include. For example I completed all the front-end, data visualization, and API/microservices projects on FCC but for the most part they all felt like...things I bashed out in a few evenings or over a weekend, not something I'd hang my hat on while job hunting. (Also front-end web dev doesn't strike my interest very much, but if I want to switch careers now I don't know how picky I can be.)

What's an example of an actual project that would actually be worthwhile including in a portfolio for some junior coding position?

Almost anything. I don't do coding challenges, my coding portion of the interview is almost entirely based on the candidates portfolio. What I generally want to see is 1 finished project with some polish, and then maybe something that is more ambitious but doesn't need to be polished or even finished. Ideally in more than 1 stack if applicable and definitely something someone can intelligently talk to and critique so I know it's not just copying off a friend. My assumption is a junior coder is going to be working alongside more experienced devs and starting off with smaller projects, not architecting huge scalable projects on day 1.

Some recent examples that I think worked well were a JS based media player, a non-functioning but interesting deep learning exercise, shovelware-level java games, a webpage with embedded twitch stream that added some random functionality.

I don't hire a junior dev trying to buy their projects I just want to see if they have some stuff that shows they can do things. So what you have sounds good, though I'd consider adding something else to show some range even if its just a WIP or whatever.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Mr. Peepers posted:

Anything that isn’t from a book or tutorial. Even something boring, like blogging software to host your own blog, or something you hacked up one night, like a Perl script to organize your comics.

Projects from tutorials never solve any real problems, so they never lead to interesting conversations. They’re always something like, “software to manage a zoo,” and the end user only exists in theory.

But if it solves a real problem you had then you can talk about the trade offs you made, the bugs you found while using it, whether you decided to fix those bugs or live with them, the troubles you ran into when trying to add a feature, etc.

You want to show that you can start with a need, and create with a program to solve it, all without following a step-by-step tutorial.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Keep in mind it doesn't have to be a real significant need, either. It can be something utterly unimportant (by whatever definition).

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anybody in the USA working remotely for a netherlands company and can tell me a little bit about what a salary discussion might look like? Obviously i’m going to negotiate for an american salary, but has anyone had crazy differences in expectations between you and a company?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grump posted:

anybody in the USA working remotely for a netherlands company and can tell me a little bit about what a salary discussion might look like? Obviously i’m going to negotiate for an american salary, but has anyone had crazy differences in expectations between you and a company?

Not Netherlands, but same situation otherwise for me. All of their American employees live in low cost of living areas. They pay in a way calculated to be a bit better than the lovely local employers, but worse than the rates paid by their big city US competitors.

At hiring time, I quoted the rate paid by their competitors for the same role. They came in much, much lower but I took it because it was still better than competing offers from the local yokels. Having a CS degree outside a tech hub is such a waste. Guess I'm starting to feel bitter and should start looking for work again...

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah that's my fear because I'm living in Philadelphia (pretty high COL) and thinking about making the move to San Diego next year (even greater COL).

I interviewed for one other european company before and they offered me 10k less than what I was making at the time and 40k less than the job I eventually ended up at lmao.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you plan to try for a job locally I don't believe the San Diego tech scene pays that well relative to the CoL compared to other areas including SF and LA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Grump posted:

Its probably going to be low, but it'll depend on the company. Are the managers and stuff in the US? If so then it might be fine, but if this is reporting straight to a Dutch team have fun with that! I'd put the over/under at around 60k and might still take the under. You'd also have slower pay raises though sometimes bigger jumps on senior/etc. That might be a negotiation lever you can try to pull.

You never know, the fact they are looking in the US might mean they've adequately done their homework, but figure out ahead of time what your "Leave it" line is so you don't get caught up and end up with a crappy paying job.

Agree with the San Diego comment too, you don't get Bay Area salaries there despite close-to-Bay-area CoL.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can buy a SFH in San Diego for less than $500,000; condos in downtown for under $400; have you checked bay area prices lately? You can get a home at the edge of the bay for $650,000 but Berkeley/Oakland is going to set you back at least $850 for a SFH in questionable shape. Condos in SF proper have taken a beating in price but SFH are still in the $1.6 range, and doesn't taper down much as you go with to San Jose. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong info for SD housing

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Other places in Cali aren't really an option. I'm going to san diego for reasons outside of work.

Anyway this netherlands company is like 10 people with series A funding. It's a pretty popular web app that lots of people use so idk I guess we'll see. I obviously don't have an offer in hand, so at this point it's all speculation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That nine-hour time difference is gonna be something, though. Watch out for when each country does its time change on different days, too!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

You can buy a SFH in San Diego for less than $500,000; condos in downtown for under $400; have you checked bay area prices lately? You can get a home at the edge of the bay for $650,000 but Berkeley/Oakland is going to set you back at least $850 for a SFH in questionable shape. Condos in SF proper have taken a beating in price but SFH are still in the $1.6 range, and doesn't taper down much as you go with to San Jose. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong info for SD housing

Bay area sounds accurate but those numbers for SD sound really low to me, but my information is second hand and old. I was under the impression SD was more expensive that that by a solid margin. Not as high as the Bay though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I just grabbed some listings from Zillow real fast, I don't have an intimate knowledge of the area

I do remember running the numbers back in 2015 (pre covid, obviously) that if I broke my lease in SF, since I only was in the office Tu/W/Th, I could rent an entire house in San Diego, commute Tu/Th by airplane to SFO, Uber to the office, stay in a cheap motel two nights a week, and it was $1000/cheaper/mo than my current shoebox "1 bedroom" in the city. I ended up moving in with my future wife instead of commuting from socal

TL; DR I ran the numbers and it was about $1700 a month (~50%) cheaper to live in socal than sf proper, in TYOOL 2015

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I just grabbed some listings from Zillow real fast, I don't have an intimate knowledge of the area

I do remember running the numbers back in 2015 (pre covid, obviously) that if I broke my lease in SF, since I only was in the office Tu/W/Th, I could rent an entire house in San Diego, commute Tu/Th by airplane to SFO, Uber to the office, stay in a cheap motel two nights a week, and it was $1000/cheaper/mo than my current shoebox "1 bedroom" in the city. I ended up moving in with my future wife instead of commuting from socal

TL; DR I ran the numbers and it was about $1700 a month (~50%) cheaper to live in socal than sf proper, in TYOOL 2015

Christ, that's crazy, but ya the flights look to be ~$100 now.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I'd thought about that, if I could move back to my home state of Louisiana my cost of living would be so low that I could fly into my office a few times a month for in person meetings and otherwise work remote. It would effectively double my pay without actually raising it.

I can't, though, I have to have a taxable address in my companies state for benefits purposes :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're rapidly sliding in to the slippery slope of tax fraud but you could pay rent to crash on your friend's couch, and pay his cable bill so you have a utility bill in your name, but then you end up having to pay "second home" property tax rates for your other place etc

I doubt the accountants care where your live, it's the lawyers trying to limit IRS tax liability reporting the wrong "true" state of residence

The nice thing about giant states like California, Texas is that you can realistically live 500 miles from your office, but still live in the same state for tax purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

So I got a question, I'm a art dude. And I'm good at it. Last few years I've been really enjoying programming, mostly just making my own games. Made a bunch of small ones and I am working on a bigger one now. (I use gamemakers' GML, and I'm learning C at the moment, which I'm super enjoying.)

And while I'm not great at it, I feel like I'm crossing over into competent.

So I'm asking if there's any jobs out there that cross the two disciplines? Like a coding job where you also need to know how to make something look pretty?

It's not for now, I'm just curious to what I should be aiming towards, if that makes sense?