Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Davros1 posted:

You need the alliteration, so maybe "Canadian Canine"?

British Columbian Bulldog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1319648407581982721

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

https://twitter.com/IsTeddyInJail/status/1319637735376932866?s=19

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Middle Name ELLSWORTH

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MLW is back baby. Must see stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTc2BUtH_Q

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you're after something completely different, Billy Dixon just released Paris Is Bumping. It's a combination wrestling show and Kiki ball, and a celebration of black gay wrestling culture like nothing I've seen before.

https://iwtv.live/promotion/paris-is-bumping#OK7nNKB7J5

Lineup:

quote:

DMV Deathmatch: Ashton Starr vs Sahara Seven
Vogue Femme Queen: Candy Lee
Divas 4 Way Extravaganza: Eddy McQueen vs Erica Leigh vs Corinne Mink vs Jared Evans
Sex Siren: Mariah Moreno
Wrestling Executive Realness: Darius Carter vs Billy Dixon
Dark Side Of The Daughter: Washington Heights

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just occurred to me that Retribution is just a way lamer Contra Unit and Zelina Vega was basically Salina de la Renta and is WWE directly stealing ideas from MLW of all promotions?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It just occurred to me that Retribution is just a way lamer Contra Unit and Zelina Vega was basically Salina de la Renta and is WWE directly stealing ideas from MLW of all promotions?

Zelina existed before Salina de la Renta i'm sure

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Salina de la Renta is an amazing name lmao

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So uhhh did WWE sign him

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1324413560982831104

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lio Blake
Dickinson Ryan
IronBeast Ducklings
Atticus Cole
Gringo Aeroboy
Juicy Jordan

These could all be the names of NXT wrestlers

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

He's wrestled a lot for New Japan this year, so hopefully he's just joining the LA Dojo rather than the holding cell in Orlando.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its the fed and its gonna be funny when he retires in like 6 years as an nxt lifer in his 40s

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Zayne and Blake Christian have been doing a ton of NJPW stuff out West so it's very possible they're both headed there. That said, I would have expected him to be announced for the Super J Cup if he was staying in NJPW or going to Impact/ROH so you're, unfortunately, probably right.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

new japan gaijin can work whatever indies they want. new japan dojo guys work indies that are friendly with new japan. new japan also just put the GCW logo on njpw world when they announced blake christian. its not new japan

hes not the only recent signing either but i dont know if you'd think of the others really as indie guys, though they also work some indies

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It might just be the lovely metalcore entrance theme but he’s always had flippy Seth Rollins energy to me so going to NXT and then 205 live forever sounds correct.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

hes not the only recent signing either but i dont know if you'd think of the others really as indie guys, though they also work some indies

Like whomst?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
They just signed a handful of indy wrestlers lol

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

They just signed a handful of indy wrestlers lol

They need more because the indie wrestlers keep catching COVID.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

karmicknight posted:

They need more because the indie wrestlers keep catching COVID.

Good point, they do need more people to cause outbreaks at the PC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheEliDrake/status/1324554691573895169?s=20

UWN: James Storm & Eli Drake defend the NWA World Tag Team titles against Aron Stevens and The Question Mark.

With Storm showing up in Impact two weeks ago, gotta wonder if he and Drake are leaving.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

I thought he disappeared after that TNA promo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’re just signing anyone who goes on Dark because they can.

I can’t fault someone for chasing a dream I guess but any realist would see it’s a waste of their time.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

i don't mean to alarm anyone, but ICW No Holds Barred Vol. 8 just went live on IWTV and the opener is shlak v. meng :yeshaha:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MLW had their first show in months last night, and a couple of thoughts:

Other than crew, there was no one else in the "arena".
Jacob Fatu looked good, looked like he dropped some weight.
Brian Pillman Jr is one lazy wrestler. One of the worst performances I'd ever seen. I've seen jobbers put more effort into being squashed.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wanted to give Pillman a shot during the initial MLW run and wrote off some of his badness as being a rookie. He had some loving god awful match with, I think, Tommy Dreamer that I can't really fully blame on Dreamer being past his prime.

Doesn't sound like he's gotten any better and he certainly hasn't gotten any smarter.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

watching MLW for the first time. For a product that's clearly had a bit of money put near it (cameras are decent quality, video packages are competently made) there are some really curious cheap bits. The ring ropes look like absolute poo poo, and there's no excuse for how bad the "Pillman isn't ready to enter" bit looked. (the Pillman match was also crap).

It was also really interesting how much the commentary was dancing around the fact that they'd had a character who was doing a heelish Black Lives Matter gimmick but who was from Louisville, which made it all feel a bit too awkwardly real for a silly wrestling show.

On the plus side, some really good talent in the Opera Cup. And also TJP.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MLW is bizarre because it generally has some truly great talent putting on some of the most boring matches of all time. Just an overall disappointing show/company.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ganso Bomb posted:

MLW is bizarre because it generally has some truly great talent putting on some of the most boring matches of all time. Just an overall disappointing show/company.

also true in 2003

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hunnert car pileup posted:

also true in 2003

It's actually incredible how consistently that's been the MO of MLW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hard to get guys to try for a $125 payday.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Ganso Bomb posted:

I mean look how rich the McMahons got doing the same thing

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
At first, MLW was a delightful and easy to watch hour of wrestling television, but starting around...I dunno, 2 years ago? it suddenly became a slog, and while I haven't watched regularly since then, I get the impression that it never really returned to form. I distinctly remember waking up one night to go to the bathroom, walking through the living room, and finding my roommate, unable to sleep, watching MLW and trying to figure out why the shows suddenly got so bad.

Is there any MLW from, say, late 2018 through the start of the pandemic that I should make an effort to watch? There's stuff like DBS Jr. vs. Tim Thatcher that sounds really good on paper, but MLW is often the kind of place where cool on-paper matches go to be disappointing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

davidbix posted:

At first, MLW was a delightful and easy to watch hour of wrestling television, but starting around...I dunno, 2 years ago? it suddenly became a slog, and while I haven't watched regularly since then, I get the impression that it never really returned to form. I distinctly remember waking up one night to go to the bathroom, walking through the living room, and finding my roommate, unable to sleep, watching MLW and trying to figure out why the shows suddenly got so bad.

Is there any MLW from, say, late 2018 through the start of the pandemic that I should make an effort to watch? There's stuff like DBS Jr. vs. Tim Thatcher that sounds really good on paper, but MLW is often the kind of place where cool on-paper matches go to be disappointing.

The only good thing I can remember is CONTRA Unit. Jacob Fatu moonsaulting onto a dude on a stretcher and jumping off of a cage were cool moments. They generally got good heat and were the best parts of the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have the Von Erichs been worth a drat for MLW?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have the Von Erichs been worth a drat for MLW?

They're okay in the ring, but much like the more famous generation of Von Erichs, their matches aren't terribly complicated.

L.A. Park has been fun in MLW but that's about it. I officially gave up on it after the billionth hardcore match between Mance Warner and Jimmy Havoc that was the same as all their previous matches.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Professional Wrestling Gorilla are doing their big sale, what's a good set of DVD's to get?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gonzo McFee posted:

Professional Wrestling Gorilla are doing their big sale, what's a good set of DVD's to get?

Have you bought from them before? to just see what older or newer stuff to suggest

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

They're okay in the ring, but much like the more famous generation of Von Erichs, their matches aren't terribly complicated.

L.A. Park has been fun in MLW but that's about it. I officially gave up on it after the billionth hardcore match between Mance Warner and Jimmy Havoc that was the same as all their previous matches.

Safe to say we won't be seeing any more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Air Wolf vs Fenix and the Minoru Tanaka match from Mania weekend are not must sees but cool for what they are. Overall that taping was really fun (although Penta vs Park is merely ok for obvious reasons) despite the Tom Lawlor vs Jimmy Havoc match being predictably terrible. Half of the fun was the CONTRA Unit Courtron playing 100 times during the taping.