Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm having trouble following this one with VWENX. Is it that the guy doesn't understand he is getting good returns, and shouldn't make any changes? Or that he missed something big and is screwed?

It's a little bit of both.

He's in a fund that is made up of 2/3 bonds and pays dividends. He's just looking at the stock price from 5 years ago and the stock price from today and seeing that it has barely changed.

When the fund pays dividends, the value of the stock goes down, but you get paid money and it gets reinvested.

He's upset because the value of the stock only went up a few dollars in 5 years.

But, if you have 10 shares and the value goes up by $5, then you made $50.

If you have 10,000 shares and the value goes up by $5, then you made $50,000.

The absolute value of the stock is not what is important.

Also, someone that is 29 should not be investing 100% in a fund that is mostly bonds.

The past 5 years were some of the best times for stocks in recent history and he missed out on those gains.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a little bit of both.

He's in a fund that is made up of 2/3 bonds and pays dividends. He's just looking at the stock price from 5 years ago and the stock price from today and seeing that it has barely changed.

When the fund pays dividends, the value of the stock goes down, but you get paid money and it get's reinvested.

He's upset because the value of the stock only went up a few dollars in 5 years.

But, if you have 10 shares and the value goes up by $5, then you made $50.

If you have 10,000 shares and the value goes up by $5, then you made $50,000.

The absolute value of the stock is not what is important.

Also, someone that is 29 should not be investing 100% in a fund that is mostly bonds.

The past 5 years were some of the best times for stocks in recent history and he missed out on those gains.

Gotcha, thanks for explaining. makes sense.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Bonsai, Wax, and Miyagi: Can I claim my kid’s karate class as FSA?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Boarding Without Morals: If my roommate dies do I get a bonus on rent

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dik Hz posted:

Like what does that even mean? And also is he planning to have a cat as a roommate and kill the cat for free rent?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I figure he just saw Dead Man on Campus and thought that it somehow extended to real adult life.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Uh yes congratulations on your 2x bonus multiplier

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Like what does that even mean?

It means that we've failed as a nation on teaching basic personal finance in schools.

My 17 year old is going through her high school's personal finance course this marking period. The teacher started out with the stock market. Sigh.

I'm half expecting them to move on to "balancing a checkbook" and "how to use passbook savings" next, but I'll report in as I find out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FateFree posted:

Uh yes congratulations on your 2x bonus multiplier

*Kills roommate*

Voice from the heavens: M-M-M-MONTHLY RENT rent rent

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpartanIvy posted:

*Kills roommate*

Voice from the heavens: M-M-M-MONTHLY RENT rent rent

:hellyeah:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

StormDrain posted:

Like what does that even mean? And also is he planning to have a cat as a roommate and kill the cat for free rent?

I think you know the answer to this.

the answer involves maritime law

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

you know what’s a better feeling than looking online at your bank account? Opening a loving treasure chest with physical gold and silver in it.

I'm not sure if this person is real or a pirate ghost come back to life

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
"GameStop's Black Friday sale includes 25% off Funko Pop! toys"

Investments are 20% off on Black Friday!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Soylent Pudding posted:

Just lol if you don't don full 16th century plate armor over your gambeson before wielding your sharpened steel in the kitchen.

You joke but I will never, ever operate a meat slicer again without chainmail gloves.

Had to run one of my cooks to the ER to put a fingat back on.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Liquid Communism posted:

You joke but I will never, ever operate a meat slicer again without chainmail gloves.

Had to run one of my cooks to the ER to put a fingat back on.

This prompted me to look up chainmail gloves, and it's pretty incredible that something that has historically been something only the best equipped warriors could afford, that was passed down for generations and looted from battlefields as a major prize, is now available with next day shipping for about two hours of minimum wage.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I was recently marvelling at my spice drawer which contains a bounty of dried plant matter that empires were forged to acquire.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"What do you think a medieval serf would be most impressed with about modern life?"
"My easy access to cinnamon."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is sugar still a luxury bought in tiny amounts?

Oh no we have so much its killing people

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yeah we just throw down salt on our roads so they don't get icy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We've eliminated most plagues and some people are very angry about this

We've also solved that thing where milk sometimes kills you and some people are very angry about this

No the other thing where milk sometimes kills you. We solved that one too and look you can see where this is going

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

We can purchase rare and delightful oranges cheaply at the supermarket, but we prefer to consume them after they've been converted to a homogeneous sludge, stored in a vat for several weeks, and then we add flavorings and sugar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Uh, I only drink water.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Bank of America unexpectedly took out $12,000 from my account for a past car debt with them 3 years ago

quote:

I am panicking. 2.5 years ago, I was in a car accident and had a car loan with bank of america. With my insurance, I did not have full coverage and was not informed I needed it. Well, after the accident, the bank said I owed the $11,500 thats left on the car within 30 days. I did not have that money so could not pay it all at once and asked if I could just continue the monthly payments but they wouldn't allow and the loan disappeared from my account with them.

Fast forward 2.5 years later and I have been working all year to buy a home, after months of being under contract, next Wednesday I officially close on my home and I was going to pay closing cost and all that with the money in my checking account. Yesterday, without warning, that full amount was deducted and left me with $3,400 in my checking account and I no longer have the funds to close on this home. To top it all off, I hit a deer this weekend and owe a $2,000 deductible so I really really need this money back.

Is there something I can do to get that money back and set up a payment plan with the bank? I never heard ANYTHING about this debt for years, no phone calls, no letters to my apartment. Nothing.

After getting thoroughly trashed in the comments, someone posts a vague "sorry your poo poo sucks OP" comment, and OP finally comes back to say:

quote:

Thank you for at least showing some compassion. These comments crack me up. No I didn’t think the debt just “disappeared”. I knew it was coming eventually but I even called Bank of America when it fell off my account 2 years ago and they told me it went to collections and someone would be reaching out. End of the day, it is my fault and I accept responsibility for the debt. Only reason I asked is because I was seeing if I had an option to pay maybe $5,000 today and continue payments until it’s paid off. The shocker was I never was given that option and lost 12k overnight when I’m set to close on a house I’ve been working towards for over a year.

But people love jumping to “WhAT DiD YOu tHInK wOulD HApPeN”.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Boiled Water posted:

Is sugar still a luxury bought in tiny amounts?

Oh no we have so much its killing people

Oh yeah it was fascinating to learn about the teeth of people at Pompeii were in excellent shape, or how Europeans living at the start of when sugar imports became cheap had their teeth rotted fast.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

Uh, I only drink water.

The only water I drink is the water Enrique drinks for me

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tomfoolery posted:

We can purchase rare and delightful oranges cheaply at the supermarket, but we prefer to consume them after they've been converted to a homogeneous sludge, stored in a vat for several weeks, and then we add flavorings and sugar.

OJ is kinda hilarious because people have gotten so used to the old, tanked, reflavored stuff that they'll literally pick it over juice from actual oranges in blind tests because they're so used to the flavorings. Legit "juice straight from oranges" tastes weird when the only thing you've ever had is years old and full of flavoring and sugar.

I have an apple that has red flesh on my desk.

Is the red flesh special? Yes, gently caress you we made a red apple.

Does it taste better? gently caress you we made a red apple. $2.25 each.

Why should I buy this instead of a good apple? gently caress you, it's red.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Living in rural Florida ruined OJ for me. On one hand you could go to any random farms roadside stand and get a bunch of fresh oranges for amazing juice. On the other we were about 20 miles away from an orange juice factory and if the wind shifter just right the entire area smelled like orange-glow. Even after moving away I just can't handle processed orange juice anymore after getting used to the real thing.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

pentyne posted:

Uh, I only drink water.

You know how that water now prevents all your teeth from rotting and falling out? Yeah, some people get really mad about that one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You know goiter? Well we don't, because if we put a tiny bit of something you guys don't even know about yet into our salt, nobody gets sick. Why salt? Well, it's cheap and everyone has access to it.

Also gout is now accessible to everyone, not just the super rich.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Karia posted:

You know how that water now prevents all your teeth from rotting and falling out? Yeah, some people get really mad about that one.

Also it just shows up to your house. And it doesn't have microbes or lead in it.

Unless you live in Flint, I guess.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

No the other thing where milk sometimes kills you. We solved that one too and look you can see where this is going

Wait what's this one?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wait what's this one?
Lactose intolerance and pasteurization is my guess?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Living in rural Florida ruined OJ for me. On one hand you could go to any random farms roadside stand and get a bunch of fresh oranges for amazing juice. On the other we were about 20 miles away from an orange juice factory and if the wind shifter just right the entire area smelled like orange-glow. Even after moving away I just can't handle processed orange juice anymore after getting used to the real thing.

I used to work in R&D in the orange juice industry in Florida; I will say that refrigerated orange juice is relatively less processed than most other foods. The flavor "add-back" as it's called comes from the aromatic compounds that are driven off during pasteurization, and no sugar is added. The pasteurized juice is kept very cold in an oxygen-free environment so effectively there is little to no degradation over time.

Consumer preference is definitely an interesting thing, too. Consumers prefer if pineapple juice has a faint "tin can" note because of canned pineapple juice, and they prefer lime juice with a little bit of oxidation/age (just a few hours) because they're used to that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

moana posted:

Lactose intolerance and pasteurization is my guess?

Yeah I got the pasteurization one, I didn't think lactose intolerance killed anyone though. Could be wrong, it's not something I've ever looked into!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I got the pasteurization one, I didn't think lactose intolerance killed anyone though. Could be wrong, it's not something I've ever looked into!

Here's a partial brief answer: it still does. Indigenous children of Canada who were kidnapped and put into those hellish genociding boarder schools would be given only milk to drink. They are genetically lactose intolerant and would suffer compromised immune systems from being forced to drink fluids they cannot process. Also they would have developmental issues from being starved of nutrients.

I've also heard milk would be sent in care packages to disaster zones in places where local people cannot drink milk either. Useless!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh I see, I'm Canadian and aware of that part of history but I wouldn't say that it was the lactose intolerance doing the murderous genocide there (but I get your point!)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm lactose intolerant and if I ingest even a little bit I will kill your toilet.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I wished for death when my dad would eat pizza and ice cream before spending the entire weekend in a truck or hotel room with me

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Cheese gives Nocheez the sass gut. It all makes sense now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I thought "that other way" milk used to kill we have eliminated was drinking milk from cows eating a particular plant (they didn't know this)

Killed thousands in the American Midwest, including Abraham Lincoln's mother.

milk sickness

.... there sure were a lot of these...