Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xenomrph posted:

I'd be looking at the 6 series if it came in 50"; anything bigger is too big for my entertainment center.

It's frustrating because both the H8G and the 5-Series have major pros and cons. I know either one will be a massive upgrade over what I've currently got and maybe I won't care, but if I'm about to spend $400 on a TV I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for letting me know about the comparison tool, here they are side by side.

From what I'm gathering, the H8G has better HDR, brightness, and stutter/judder with 24fps content, but the TCL is cheaper by $30, has better color gamut, grey uniformity, black uniformity, color gradient, and contrast.

I wish this wasn't such a hard decision. :saddowns:

I'm just going to go ahead and say that, when comparing $400 tv sets, all of those differences you mentioned are going to be almost totally negligible. They're both lower level sets and neither have exceptional quality so you're just comparing slight differences on marginal sets. Don't over think it. Other than brightness neither set is good enough for you to notice those minute differences between them.

If you're really hand wringing this much over how much those features are going to effect your enjoyment then you need to step up a different level of TV.

If you absolutely can't because of budget. Then just flip a coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

If you absolutely can't because of budget. Then just flip a coin.

This but instead just buy the first one that's on a great sale

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

morestuff posted:

This but instead just buy the first one that's on a great sale
Wait, what sale?

Edit-- I don't mean for it to seem like hand-wringing, I genuinely don't know what I'm doing and I'm largely basing my feelings off the numbers I'm seeing and I have no frame of reference. For all I know a 7.2 for "color gradient" could be a "12/10 totally loving amazing" compared to my current TV. You're right, I'm getting worked up over nothing.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 23, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what sale?

Edit-- I don't mean for it to seem like hand-wringing, I genuinely don't know what I'm doing and I'm largely basing my feelings off the numbers I'm seeing and I have no frame of reference. For all I know a 7.2 for "color gradient" could be a "12/10 totally loving amazing" compared to my current TV. You're right, I'm getting worked up over nothing.

I'm just saying, you have two good options. Set up alerts on a deal tracking site or just keep an eye out and buy one of the two when it gets a deep discount.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I got my PC's videos working, I installed Plex Media Server. :D
I had to set Plex to transcode any DTS so the CX's lack of DTS isn't a problem.

Now I just need to figure out how to select the audio track without directors commentary, or remove with handbrake.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ak Gara posted:

Now I just need to figure out how to select the audio track without directors commentary, or remove with handbrake.

There's an option prior to playback that'll let you pick the audio track, then during most clients playback there's an options menu you can bring up that'll let you switch on demand. TV versions of apps can be a different beast, mind.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I got my PC's videos working, I installed Plex Media Server. :D
I had to set Plex to transcode any DTS so the CX's lack of DTS isn't a problem.

MKVToolnix should be able to do this, I've used it to remove audio tracks and remux external subs into a video

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

MKVToolnix should be able to do this, I've used it to remove audio tracks and remux external subs into a video

Thanks that worked great! And because it's not reencoding, only takes a minute :)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
So Im torn between a 65" Sony x900h and 65" TCL R625.

Is the response time really that noticable of an issue for the TCL? I am upgrading from a 2018 55" TCL S405 and the response time doesnt bother me at all but the R625 is rated at a lower response time than the S405 which worries me. Does BFI make the difference negligible?

I also have a PS5 and the x900h does give me the future proofing for 120hz/HDMI 2.1 so that is appealing to me as well and might be worth the extra ~$200.

Is the image quality difference also worth that extra $$$ for the X900h? It seems the TCL has superior brightness and contrast which is pretty impressive considering the cost difference.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 24, 2020

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

So I’m looking to upgrade one of my TVs and have a few questions based on what I’ve been reading in this thread:

1. I’m going back and forth between the Sony A8H and the LG CX. Both seem to have decent sales prices right now and would last me for a long time. Is there any clear advantage between the two other than the HDMI 2.1 support on the CX?

2. I’ve read a bit about HDMI 2.1 not working on recent TVs but I can’t find specific details on what the exact issue is. What happens if they are faulty? Is warranty replacing them? Is it better to wait for next years TV roll out instead of upgrading now so this issue is fixed?

3. I’m also looking for a small TV for our kitchen. I can’t find much info on them because they’re really cheap so no one reviews them. Has anyone purchase a small tv (20” or less) that they’ve really liked?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is the response time really that noticable of an issue for the TCL? I am upgrading from a 2018 55" TCL S405 and the response time doesnt bother me at all but the R625 is rated at a lower response time than the S405 which worries me. Does BFI make the difference negligible?

I also have a PS5 and the x900h does give me the future proofing for 120hz/HDMI 2.1 so that is appealing to me as well and might be worth the extra ~$200.

Is the image quality difference also worth that extra $$$ for the X900h? It seems the TCL has superior brightness and contrast which is pretty impressive considering the cost difference.

I didn't have a tcl but I had a similar budget brand vizio and I'm pretty happy having moved to the x900h a few days ago. quality of life is just way higher all around. image quality should be roughly the same on paper but the sony looked instantly better to me. really appreciating how it's super fast and snappy ui wise too. the 2.1 actually being supported is great. anyways i say go for it, i really like the x900. dolby vision is actually pretty cool looking too, although i think the tcl does that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

100% go with the X900h. That motion difference is somethin you're going to notice.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I just want to get an obnoxiously big TV. Tell me why I shouldn't get the Sony X800H 85" for $1,700.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I just want to get an obnoxiously big TV. Tell me why I shouldn't get the Sony X800H 85" for $1,700.

The X800H is a non VA, non-QLED panel, it can't get very dark which sucks for films or cinematic television, and there's no local dimming.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Because the 85" X900h is currently on sale for only $300 more :getin:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 24, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HelloNewman posted:

So I’m looking to upgrade one of my TVs and have a few questions based on what I’ve been reading in this thread:

1. I’m going back and forth between the Sony A8H and the LG CX. Both seem to have decent sales prices right now and would last me for a long time. Is there any clear advantage between the two other than the HDMI 2.1 support on the CX?
I did a bunch of research on this before I purchased my A8H. The truth is that the Sony has better picture quality but is not quite as bright. If you are mostly watching movies/TV in a dark room, that's the better choice. I am an insufferable snob, and only watch Film, so I can't speak to your questions about gaming/HDMI 2.1. But I couldn't be happier with my A8H from Greentoe.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

FCKGW posted:

Because the 85" X900h is currently on sale for only $300 more :getin:

Thank you. Anyone want to tell me why I shouldn't get this one???

Oh...and where?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Thank you. Anyone want to tell me why I shouldn't get this one???

Oh...and where?

Everywhere, they're all price matching each other. Costco, Best Buy, Amazon...

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

FCKGW posted:

Everywhere, they're all price matching each other. Costco, Best Buy, Amazon...

Yup....just found it on Amazon.

Yikes....I'm trying to convince myself that an 85" tv is what I want. My old rear end 62" plasma looks pretty good. But I know that a 4k set like this is something else.

What do you think? Buy it or no. It's is up to you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Buy my TV for me, and then continue using your :krad: plasma!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

gently caress....I bought it. It will probably look silly down here.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Buy my TV for me, and then continue using your :krad: plasma!

If you live in Minnesota....I'll give it to you for $100. But you've got to pick it up.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

HelloNewman posted:

2. I’ve read a bit about HDMI 2.1 not working on recent TVs but I can’t find specific details on what the exact issue is. What happens if they are faulty? Is warranty replacing them? Is it better to wait for next years TV roll out instead of upgrading now so this issue is fixed?

3. I’m also looking for a small TV for our kitchen. I can’t find much info on them because they’re really cheap so no one reviews them. Has anyone purchase a small tv (20” or less) that they’ve really liked?

If you plan on doing any gaming at all, get the CX, otherwise get whichever is cheaper.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yup....just found it on Amazon.

Yikes....I'm trying to convince myself that an 85" tv is what I want. My old rear end 62" plasma looks pretty good. But I know that a 4k set like this is something else.

What do you think? Buy it or no. It's is up to you.

I bought the 75” version and liked it so much I returned it and got the 85”.

It’s a great set.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I ended up going with the TCL 5 Series; if for any reason I feel like I made a bad decision SO HELP ME GOD I will come to the home of every single person in this thread and smash your TV. :toughguy:

No seriously I’m excited to get the new TV, I really appreciate all the help and advice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s my best option for a 55”-65” tv for $400-$600 or so? Mainly to be used for gaming and watching tv/movies.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401722.p?skuId=6401722

Is this Ok?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 24, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RCarr posted:

What’s my best option for a 55”-65” tv for $400-$600 or so? Mainly to be used for gaming and watching tv/movies.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401722.p?skuId=6401722

Is this Ok?

No no no no.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

[Michael Scott "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" .gif]

Don't get a Samsung unless it's top of the line Q series and... even then get a different TV.

You're going to want a TCL 6 Series 2020 - $650 for the 55" - look for BF deals. https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Dolby-Vision-QLED-Smart/dp/B0885F5GMP

Or the Hisense H9G https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h9g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403995.p?skuId=6403995

Those are both 55" and slightly above your budget but they are *MILES* above the Sammy 7 series in quality.

We have a Samsung 7 Series at work and it's poo poo. Literally not a single thing about it is desirable. Lower quality everything than the the above TVs and the operating system is pure poo poo compared to Android TV or Roku. It's like some early 2000s crap.

AVOID.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Found an X900h at a local best buy for $900 because the box was opened. It was never even taken out and was only missing the remote and the guy went and just found me one and gave it to me.

Was able to get a basically brand new 65" x900h with 5 year warranty for $1200.

It looks soooooo gooooood.

Thanks for the help tv goons!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Found an X900h at a local best buy for $900 because the box was opened. It was never even taken out and was only missing the remote and the guy went and just found me one and gave it to me.

Was able to get a basically brand new 65" x900h with 5 year warranty for $1200.

It looks soooooo gooooood.

Thanks for the help tv goons!

It's $970 right now brand new from BB

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
How desirable is HDMI 2.1 for a tv thats going to be used mostly for a ps5 and sometimes connected to my computer? i watch movies and shows occasionally but its mostly just gaming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

2.1 is necessary for 4K@120fps games, which is like only a handful of them right now. If you are ok with 4K@60fps then 2.0 would be fine

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It's $970 right now brand new from BB

Im seeing $999 everywhere I look for BB, also was labeled that in store so Im not sure where youre seeing $970.

This is brand new for all intents and purposes, everything is still wrapped and sealed it just had an open box. Still saved $100 on top of the black friday deal and was able to spring for the 5 year protection.

I got a new 65" for cheaper than the 55" so Im pretty stoked.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Im seeing $999 everywhere I look for BB, also was labeled that in store so Im not sure where youre seeing $970.

This is brand new for all intents and purposes, everything is still wrapped and sealed it just had an open box. Still saved $100 on top of the black friday deal and was able to spring for the 5 year protection.

I got a new 65" for cheaper than the 55" so Im pretty stoked.

Sign in with your free My Best Buy account and it's $970:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x900h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6401205.p?skuId=6401205

(the 55" is $919, but nobody wants a 55").

I mean good for you for getting it for $900, but you still didn't get a remote and if it didn't have the remote I would suspect it had been opened and put on display.

I don't trust BB open boxes and not having a remote almost *always* means it was used for display and reboxed. At least if perusing my BB open boxes is any indication. Otherwise...how did it only get opened but just the remote magically disappear?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 25, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Sign in with your free My Best Buy account and it's $970:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x900h-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6401205.p?skuId=6401205

(the 55" is $919, but nobody wants a 55").

I mean good for you for getting it for $900, but you still didn't get a remote and if it didn't have the remote I would suspect it had been opened and put on display.

I don't trust BB open boxes and not having a remote almost *always* means it was used for display and reboxed. At least if perusing my BB open boxes is any indication. Otherwise...how did it only get opened but just the remote magically disappear?

I did get a remote for free in the end tho.

I mean with the protection its also treated as a brand new device so if anything should be wrong with it Im completely covered. Im not seeing literally any downsides to this beyond a hypothetical and unlikely 5 mile drive to get a replacement lol. An extra $100 in my wallet and my first new TV. Im chillin.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I did get a remote for free in the end tho.

I mean with the protection its also treated as a brand new device so if anything should be wrong with it Im completely covered. Im not seeing literally any downsides to this beyond a hypothetical and unlikely 5 mile drive to get a replacement lol. An extra $100 in my wallet and my first new TV. Im chillin.

An extra $70. You bought an open used tv for $70 less than brand new. That's fine. Enjoy your TV. But it's not quite a deal (especially when you had to buy $300 in coverage for it just in case).

edit: I'm being a little too harsh. But I don't feel BB open boxes are a deal and I don't feel like they're honest about them. Nothing against you.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 25, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

No no no no.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

[Michael Scott "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" .gif]

Don't get a Samsung unless it's top of the line Q series and... even then get a different TV.

You're going to want a TCL 6 Series 2020 - $650 for the 55" - look for BF deals. https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Dolby-Vision-QLED-Smart/dp/B0885F5GMP

Or the Hisense H9G https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h9g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403995.p?skuId=6403995

Those are both 55" and slightly above your budget but they are *MILES* above the Sammy 7 series in quality.

We have a Samsung 7 Series at work and it's poo poo. Literally not a single thing about it is desirable. Lower quality everything than the the above TVs and the operating system is pure poo poo compared to Android TV or Roku. It's like some early 2000s crap.

AVOID.

Thank you for this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

An extra $70. You bought an open used tv for $70 less than brand new. That's fine. Enjoy your TV. But it's not quite a deal (especially when you had to buy $300 in coverage for it just in case).

I super appreciate you recommending this TV but tbh youre kind of an rear end.

Enjoy the holidays bud.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RCarr posted:

Thank you for this.

Ha no problem... If you can afford the H9G 55" (admittedly $100 over your budget) you're gonna love it. But if you opt for the 65" TCL at the same price... you're going to love that too. Only big noticeable difference is the 120hz native panel of the H9G vs 60 for the TCL. But you're gonna love either.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I super appreciate you recommending this TV but tbh youre kind of an rear end.

Enjoy the holidays bud.

Not trying to be an rear end. You just didn't get that great of a deal and I probably should have just said "return it for the full price one and skip the extended warranty" from the outset so you'd actually get a deal.

BB open boxes are often ill treated and they aren't honest about them. Wasn't anything against you personally.

If you're enjoying the TV and it works great for you - great! Just trying to be protective of goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

How desirable is HDMI 2.1 for a tv thats going to be used mostly for a ps5 and sometimes connected to my computer? i watch movies and shows occasionally but its mostly just gaming.

HDMI 2.1 is still in its infancy and anything you buy now probably won’t work 100%. This includes the new consoles.