Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the time limit games tend to give out recipes easily and much earlier than you need them just to make sure you don't get stuck, it's not like the mysterious games and onward where they use recipe unlocks as progression speed bumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Soooo does every Atelier have a “now a little something for daddy” swimsuit competition

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I don't think Ayesha does, and...possibly not Sophie from memory? But that game also has Plachta, so.

The others...yeah.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think only the arland trilogy has that unless i just never came across it in any of the other ones ive played

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No. It is not something that is all that common in the series.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I am aggressively surprised that there isn't more man service considering the female demographic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I am aggressively surprised that there isn't more man service considering the female demographic.
I mean, there is manservice. It's just not 'buff dudes shirtless.' because that wouldnt really be service to the demographic they're catering to. The service is all the CGs of Sterk, Logy, or Keith looking mildly sad and serious. Or that one ending CG in Escha and Logy where Logy is in a suit while Escha feeds him. That's to the female demo what bikini outfits are to a male demo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sterk becoming the bird whisper must be some sort of service out there for somebody

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Speaking of which, I stopped playing Totori because of Atelier's best form of fanservice: "Look at all these characters you like from the last game! They're cool and successful adults now!"

I read Sylphid's LP of Atelier Rorona awhile back so I figured I'd find it more enjoyable to skip it, but nope, big mistake; I recognized the returning characters when Totori met them but I didn't have any sort of emotional connection to them. So I'm playing Rorona now instead. In hindsight I don't know why I didn't do this to begin with; the plot is not exactly the major driver of enjoyment in these games.

The Arland games are the ones with the most comprehensive English voice acting, right? I've been listening to the dub for Rorona and while there are definitely some unvoiced scenes, I'm enjoying it so far. It's nice for a change of pace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think theres any games where the dub exists but has less VAing than the original JP?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have to assume that Meruru does given that her Barrel! is unvoiced in english. I haven't checked in Japanese though.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
On the other hand, previous series fanservice was absolutely hilarious for me when Firis turned from docile timid alchemist to buff brazen archer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't describe Firis as docile or timid

a bow would have suited her better even in her own game, imo, but main characters use staves

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually, I take that back, the correct weapon for Firis is pickaxe

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't describe Firis as docile or timid

a bow would have suited her better even in her own game, imo, but main characters use staves

Bring back Mana Khemia's weird weapons, imho. MK2 in particular is incredible for how basically no one in either party uses anything that could be construed as a normal weapon besides Raze and sort of Yun.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im pretty sure that literally every dub left plenty of scenes unvoiced

it's something i could notice with all the dusk games and especially sticks out if you watch videos of sophie or firis

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the sophie dub had a lot fewer lines voiced in english

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up playing both Sophie and Firis subbed because I played L&S first

I miss Atelier dubs. Not getting to hear Julie Maddalena voice mom Rorona has got to be some kind of war crime

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

speaking of atelier dubs

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ayesha had 100% more dubbing in English on PS3

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1329058210389651456

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I ended up playing both Sophie and Firis subbed because I played L&S first

I miss Atelier dubs. Not getting to hear Julie Maddalena voice mom Rorona has got to be some kind of war crime

Yeah that was the saddest one for me as well. I wish they'd ended Arland with a dubbed game.

Heck, I would've loved to see what they did with a dub of Lydie and Suelle. That game's script is so much fun.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

while i'd have liked that too, L&S is a gigantic game and it'd have been a travesty for how much good stuff they'd have had to leave unvoiced in english

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One basic mechanics question that I can’t seem to find an answer to: does the Quality of a consumable improve its power, or is it only the level of the actual effect that matters (e.g. a 80 quality Bomb with Fire S = a 40 quality Bomb with Fire S)

This is in Totori btw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Quality does increase power.

In Arland, the quality of cloth/ingots also increases the stats of the armor/weapon crafted with them

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/NOCO9999/status/1329337770683244544

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey I finished Totori! What a fun little package. Turns out, a relatively low-stakes story about family and friends was what I needed.

I was way ahead of the curve for much of the game, but the way it’s structured made it hard to tell, especially compared to Atelier Rorona’s discrete assignment periods. Still, there was the constant tug of “oh no was this move efficient enough??”-style doubts that I actually really liked. I haven’t tried any of the Atelier games that don’t have time limits, and I wonder if I’d enjoy them as much???

I completed about one-third of the super optional super dungeon before tapping out, due to encountering a boss that killed at least one of my guys every turn and who also regenerated health faster than I could deal damage. The “solution” I found online looked pretty tedious (requiring specific turn-granting items and then spamming the superduper bomb over and over again), that’s typical JRPG postgame though

I never actually finished Atelier Rorona and I’m motivated enough to start that up again I think.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you're playing the PC version, Rorona will feel like a bit of an upgrade (Rorona and Neruru got updated Vita releases but Totori did not for some reason.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I was way ahead of the curve for much of the game, but the way it’s structured made it hard to tell, especially compared to Atelier Rorona’s discrete assignment periods. Still, there was the constant tug of “oh no was this move efficient enough??”-style doubts that I actually really liked. I haven’t tried any of the Atelier games that don’t have time limits, and I wonder if I’d enjoy them as much???

Something I've noticed I really like about time limits in Atelier is they provide an excuse not to do annoying but effective stuff. Whenever I made a new piece of equipment in Ryza I was thinking in the back of my head, "if I synthesized 20 metal bars, I'd be able to stuff them all in here and make the equipment I'm creating way stronger." But this isn't an issue at all in a game with a time limit, because the player almost always has better stuff to do with their time than execute synthesis loops or do other time-consuming things.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

How exactly is it determined how much different items contribute to the power of new items in Atelier Rorona? In other words, how can I tell how much the purple bar is going to fill up?

At first, I thought it was just the quality of the item. This is wrong. Quality matters but it’s not the only factor.

Then, I thought it was about quality and item level. This is also wrong. I saw a higher level item contribute less than a lower level item of a different type and similar quality. (IIRC, a fancier mushroom helped less than a lower-level magic herb.)

So now I’m lost. What have I missed? The in-game help is actually quite good so I’m surprised it doesn’t have the answer to this question yet (though maybe it will later).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nrook posted:

How exactly is it determined how much different items contribute to the power of new items in Atelier Rorona? In other words, how can I tell how much the purple bar is going to fill up?

At first, I thought it was just the quality of the item. This is wrong. Quality matters but it’s not the only factor.

Then, I thought it was about quality and item level. This is also wrong. I saw a higher level item contribute less than a lower level item of a different type and similar quality. (IIRC, a fancier mushroom helped less than a lower-level magic herb.)

So now I’m lost. What have I missed? The in-game help is actually quite good so I’m surprised it doesn’t have the answer to this question yet (though maybe it will later).

It's kind of hard to predict, just like you noticed, but in general, the later you obtain an item, the more it boosts the meter. Synthesized items will tend to boost it more than gathered ones. I don't know exactly how it all works either, unfortunately.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It's kind of hard to predict, just like you noticed, but in general, the later you obtain an item, the more it boosts the meter. Synthesized items will tend to boost it more than gathered ones. I don't know exactly how it all works either, unfortunately.

I had a bad feeling you were going to say something like that! Well, it's okay. It's just getting me in character as someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Replaying L&S and I forget--is it fine to do the bare minimum for Roger's requests or should I max them out like Mireille's?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Replaying L&S and I forget--is it fine to do the bare minimum for Roger's requests or should I max them out like Mireille's?

i posted this in the discord, but you have to max the gauge out with roger's requests as well

if you already went ahead and did this one then luckily, you're allowed to miss one perfect score if you want the true ending; when i played blind, i only turned in 3/4 of the letters of recommendation for the A rank exam and i was still allowed to start making the pastels

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finished Rorona over the weekend!

Wish they didn’t make her teacher a sex pest

I won’t lie, I don’t love how it just, ended. It sort has a final boss but there’s no fanfare after defeating it, it’s sort of treated as just another optional encounter you can do if you want a few extra rewards. But that’s kind of on me, the game doesn’t follow “traditional” linear story structure from the start. Anyway, the victory lap Rorona does on her last day was supremely heartwarming and fun :)

Seems like there a lot of post-game content, but I bought Meruru instead!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i posted this in the discord, but you have to max the gauge out with roger's requests as well

if you already went ahead and did this one then luckily, you're allowed to miss one perfect score if you want the true ending; when i played blind, i only turned in 3/4 of the letters of recommendation for the A rank exam and i was still allowed to start making the pastels

Thanks

I don't know if the tutorial Mireille task counts since you have very little freedom to change anything, but I didn't completely fill the bar with my dream paintbrushes, so it's nice that there's a bit of wiggle room.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Wish they didn’t make her teacher a sex pest

Astrid gets so much worse you can't imagine

Jay Rust posted:

Seems like there a lot of post-game content, but I bought Meruru instead!

...welp

(Meruru is great, but prepare to hate Astrid a LOT more. There's a reason she doesn't show up in Lulua.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
she should have been a superboss in Lulua so you could get revenge on the villain of Arland

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Astrid might be a creeper but Meruru is very good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There is a lot wrong with Astrid, but her choosing to make Hom four feet and eight inches tall specifically to make fun of Cordelia is one of the best jokes in all of Atelier.

e: I’m having an unnerving sense of deja vu that someone else has said this exact thing in this thread before

nrook fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 24, 2020