Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

euphronius posted:

I football throw old vegetables and fruit into the woods.

Make a sling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is it even possible to smother thistle?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Rationale posted:

I’ve approached like thirty tree crews so far and it’s got me ten dump loads of chips and one of logs.

I got a bunch of cardboard from work and we’re gonna see if it can smother thistles.

Are weeds kicking my rear end because I feed too much?

I can never find enough mulch did ancient farmers cart leaves around?

Usually its tilling, because if the soil is turned, new seeds come up. Some will float in.

Beds I'm done with have relatively few weeds (lots of thistle lmao) and most of the weeding I did was just hoe'ing out thistle seedlings.

Example: I tilled a small section over at the end of summer and it was bare dirt for months before, then sprouted a million tiny plants.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

I football throw old vegetables and fruit into the woods.

lol yeah I built a compost bin out of cinderblocks and poo poo just so I could have a backboard to huck tomatoes at

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Atrocious Joe posted:

thistle cannot be defeated by any mortal means. the best you can hope for is to drive it back.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

depends how much vinaigrette you use

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Glad I found this thread. I enjoyed marveling over the lovely pictures of growing green things and mystical Lenins of the Woods. It was nice and soothing to my brainworms, so thank you kindly.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Lately I have been developing an interest/obsession with growing my own food. I could list a whole bunch of reasons, but y'all already know

I started this venture by getting some chickens a few months ago. I already had weird animals, I breed snakes as a hobby, so I figured I might as well have chickens too. I like eggs. gently caress it, let's go hog wild.

I can only have up to 4 hens (no roosters) here, so I'm keeping them just for eggs, not meat. They haven't started laying yet. Hopefully soon. They're about 6-7 months old.

The black one is Lilith. She is the boss lady.

With eggs on the way, it's time to think about gardening.

I'm great with animals but I've killed every plant I've ever had, including bamboo. So like a gormless rube, I was easily suckered in by the Aerogarden's seductive promises of "guaranteed germination" and "fool-proof gardening."

Three weeks later I have this

And now I'm looking around and thinking, "Holy poo poo I can fit so many plants in here"

I also have a yard (obviously, chickens). I'm thinking about doing some outdoor planting next spring, but a lot of stuff would have to be in pots or raised beds. I'm zone 9b and my soil is basically just sand.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

snake and bake posted:

I also have a yard (obviously, chickens). I'm thinking about doing some outdoor planting next spring, but a lot of stuff would have to be in pots or raised beds. I'm zone 9b and my soil is basically just sand.

you like watermelons? I live in an area that's zone 7 with really loess (limestone sand) soil and melons do great.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

i say swears online posted:

I just have a spot on the ground for banana peels and coffee grounds. jesus does the rest

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Peanut President posted:

you like watermelons? I live in an area that's zone 7 with really loess (limestone sand) soil and melons do great.

Interesting. Hell yeah I love watermelons. I will look into this.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
Weird question.

My wife is looking at mushroom growing kits (cooking mushrooms, not liberty caps). Any suggestions? It'll be an inside grow in an apartment. She showed me this one that looks like cardboard and you mist it every now and then but as someone who grew non-cooking mushrooms, that seems like an invite for contamination. But, I'm probably wrong.

edit to add: it's a gift.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Shitpostradomus posted:

Weird question.

My wife is looking at mushroom growing kits (cooking mushrooms, not liberty caps). Any suggestions? It'll be an inside grow in an apartment. She showed me this one that looks like cardboard and you mist it every now and then but as someone who grew non-cooking mushrooms, that seems like an invite for contamination. But, I'm probably wrong.

edit to add: it's a gift.

i got one of those oyster mushroom cardboard boxes for christmas a year or two ago and it worked great even when i finally got around to growing it out months later

i don't know what kind of contamination you're worried about, because that thing was absolutely filled to the gills with oyster mushroom rhizomes, so just eat the ones that pop out in the first weeks and you should be fine

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Closet panic garden looking pretty decent

A valiantly struggling romaine, surrounded by 5 tomato plants

I've been trying to figure out when/if/how much to prune the tomatoes :ohdear:

They are 28 days old and just starting to sprout tiny flower pods

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

snake and bake posted:

that's a pretty ambitious effort!

i just do fast growing fleeting things like lettuce and spinach under my grow light, and herbs that can't be dried

i would not attempt tomatoes, but godspeed!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snake and bake posted:

I have an aerogarden tomato plant I started earlier this year so I had to look up all this stuff too. I think you're way past the point of pruning, but maybe it'll still be helpful, I'm not sure. The little instruction book that came with the tomato seed pods was helpful for pruning info. but you definitely won't be able to keep 5 tomato plants in that size aerogarden, they're going to get way big and fight each other for light. and that romaine will be choked out from the light real soon too.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I have an aerogarden tomato plant I started earlier this year so I had to look up all this stuff too. I think you're way past the point of pruning, but maybe it'll still be helpful, I'm not sure. The little instruction book that came with the tomato seed pods was helpful for pruning info. but you definitely won't be able to keep 5 tomato plants in that size aerogarden, they're going to get way big and fight each other for light. and that romaine will be choked out from the light real soon too.

My tomato pod box was kind of wonky. It was sealed but didn't have an instruction book.

One of the pods was a misplaced romaine, which is why that's in there. I didn't notice it wasn't a tomato until after I dropped it in the water, and until it sprouted I thought maybe it was just mislabeled.

I'm not worried about the romaine, I'm going to eat it soon. It was trying to bolt, and a couple of the bottom leaves were turning yellow, so I harvested most of it

Looking at the Aerogarden site for more info on tomatoes wasn't much help. This was all I could find about tomatoes:

I hung 2 old PC fans up in the closet to create air flow for pollination and strengthening the stems. I keep the closet door open during the day and turn the ceiling fan on, so there's a good bit of air movement for a secret closet garden

I watched some Youtube videos, it looks like most people aggressively prune the hell out of the tops and branches until they turn into tiny lil tomato bushes

Some people trim the roots too? :psyduck:

Apparently these things are great for quickly jumpstarting sprouts from seed, then transplanting them elsewhere. I'll probably transition into doing that, instead of continually growing bonsai vegetables to harvest in this wee babby's first hydroponic garden

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I'm pruning the tomatoes and I hate it, I am wounding these innocent & lovely plants :(

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

think of it as asserting your dominance over them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine you are a caterpillar and you need the tomato leaves to turn into a beautiful butterfly.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I bought this basil plant at the grocery store a long time ago and I swear to god it wants to be watered twice a day. Is this normal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s normal.

Basil is a relative of mint and mint is practically aquatic.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ha, the only other plant I take care of is a grocery store mint and even though that one drinks it down this basil is like yellow all week if I forget it for a day. Even though I soak it through every time. Unbelievable how different it is from the succulents that are basically all I grew before

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I planted one bed in three kinds of mint and now one of them has taken over like six whole beds. I was harvesting wrist thick bundles every day and it still outran me. I hung bundles from my porch gutter to dry and one of them became a nest to some really tiny noisy bird. When they first came around I thought a bunch of birds were fighting on the porch but when I went to investigate it was just one tiny loudmouth.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have mushrooms to grow!

I'm hoping I'll have better luck with fungus than actual plants cause I kill all those :ohdear:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rationale posted:

I planted one bed in three kinds of mint and now one of them has taken over like six whole beds. I was harvesting wrist thick bundles every day and it still outran me. I hung bundles from my porch gutter to dry and one of them became a nest to some really tiny noisy bird. When they first came around I thought a bunch of birds were fighting on the porch but when I went to investigate it was just one tiny loudmouth.

iirc you ain't supposed to plant mint because it goes so wild so fast; I've always kept it in a pot

edit: thought to my credit I was dumb enough to think I could keep a Wisteria wrangled and lol

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Dec 2, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a mojito mint on my plant shelf that is trying to colonise every other pot with its tendrils. It’s like The Thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

invasive harvestable plants own. outcompete the trash, my pretties

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if i was in a wetter area it'd be a giant mistake but my giant wall of morning glories two feet thick to block out the sun ruled last year. if i quit watering for 48 hours they die, but if i were in the southeast they'd take over everything

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Morning glories kept trying to get my peppers. I swear you could bake a morning glory in the driveway for a month and itd still grown when it blew back onto the dirt.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Peanut President posted:

iirc you ain't supposed to plant mint because it goes so wild so fast; I've always kept it in a pot

edit: thought to my credit I was dumb enough to think I could keep a Wisteria wrangled and lol

Yeah I think I’m gonna pot a bunch of it and give it to people who claim that they can’t grow anything.

Maybe the mint infestation can be like a living mulch for me next year

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

pretty aerogarden lettuces

clockwise from left: black seeded simpson, rouge d'hiver, marvel of 4 seasons, deer tongue

my review of this thing is very mixed. The worst thing about it by far is the ridiculous sticker price

At some point I want to try the Kratky method side by side with it to see how they compare

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Where do y'all like to buy heirloom veg seeds? I'd like to order direct from a smaller family-run business, but all these seed sites look the same. it's hard to tell which ones are legitimately selling their own privately produced non-gmo seeds vs a pretty facade flipping lovely seeds from alibaba or something

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've ordered from Seed Savers the past few years. I've liked the results and they seem legit. Nice variety too choose from. I've never been to their source farms or shipping facilities, so I guess they could be flipping stuff, but I have no reason to suspect they are.

https://www.seedsavers.org/

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've ordered from Seed Savers the past few years. I've liked the results and they seem legit. Nice variety too choose from. I've never been to their source farms or shipping facilities, so I guess they could be flipping stuff, but I have no reason to suspect they are.

https://www.seedsavers.org/

Hell yeah this is perfect. A non-profit even.

Looks like they run something called the Community Seed Network which has a ton of useful resources on how to grow and save seeds, legal stuff, even guides for setting up community gardens & seed banks

Very loving cool, thanks dude

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Oh hell yes, they have catnip!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rationale posted:

Morning glories kept trying to get my peppers. I swear you could bake a morning glory in the driveway for a month and itd still grown when it blew back onto the dirt.

The only thing keeping them in check behind my house is the Himalayan blackberries, and vice versa.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

You can also eat Morning Glory seeds (after preparation) to get hosed up. They contain LSA which is similar to LSD.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

please do not eat morning glory seeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
maine potato lady is legit

sends good potatoes and garlics for growing in the ground

have ordered from her the last 3 years and enjoyed many a potatoe