Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Geisladisk posted:

This guy is on my table right now. The uniform is Aggaros Dunes, the helmet is a 50/50 mix of Basilicanum Gray and Militarum Green.

Seconding Wyldwood for the wood and black for the boots, but I prefer Basilicanum Gray for the guns.

I know the boots are just primer but clean up the border and paint the other bits and, honestly, you've captured what if feels and looks like trudging through a cold wet field in early spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Tias posted:

Thanks for the painting tips. If I were to hasard a try and painting my soviets with GW contrast paints, which would you recommend for the brown, tans, greens etc?

I liked the results this guy got for his Soviets with contrast paint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4U52RV8M6s

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, one way to accumulate some more tiny soldiers and obscure 1980s wargames is Trad Games Secret Santa. You have about a week left to sign up! You could be the recipient of some period-accurate sand bag drop terrain, or perhaps a full-color reference book for 15th-century polish pikemen uniforms?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Battlefront is having 3-for-2 sale on some of their plastics, mostly FOW but there's some TY in there too.

I bought three starter boxes because a bargain is a bargain and I don't like money, I guess :shepspends:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Leperflesh posted:

Hey guys, one way to accumulate some more tiny soldiers and obscure 1980s wargames is Trad Games Secret Santa. You have about a week left to sign up! You could be the recipient of some period-accurate sand bag drop terrain, or perhaps a full-color reference book for 15th-century polish pikemen uniforms?

1648 Khmelnytsky Uprising pikemen or nothing!

:colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cessna posted:

https://sklep.wargamer.pl/en/koz-4-moloitsy.html?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fire and Sword is the game that I'd love to play, but - well, see the thread title.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cessna posted:

I tried to find an image to reference but instead I found myself assured by random posters in broken english on the Cossacks 3 game forum that Cossack peasants fighting the Khmelnytsky army either mostly or entirely or not mostly used muskets. I hope this information is helpful somehow.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Warlord Games annouces a new release :stwoon:

It's metal :stare:

You see the faces :stonk:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

lol is it as bad as the Korea range?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has anyone got any experience in playing as the British in the Peninsula/Napoleonic war at the division/corps level in a wargame? My opponents (not just the French) have more and heavier artillery, better cavalry(?) and more infantry. I don't understand what I'm supposed to build my army as (the game is Field of Glory Napolonic 2nd ed, but I *just* got Black Powder rules for the Peninsula too today).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Has anyone got any experience in playing as the British in the Peninsula/Napoleonic war at the division/corps level in a wargame? My opponents (not just the French) have more and heavier artillery, better cavalry(?) and more infantry. I don't understand what I'm supposed to build my army as (the game is Field of Glory Napolonic 2nd ed, but I *just* got Black Powder rules for the Peninsula too today).

Not played division/corps level, but I'd assume the ruleset would make your British infantry shootier, since that's pretty much what all rulesets do. I'd try to funnel them using deployment and terrain to try to make it so that they can't get all their forces to bear on you at the same time, so that you can get local superiority and stop them by infantry shooting.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

lol is it as bad as the Korea range?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
lol

To be fair, a good 30% of that is the poor paint jobs, especially the eyes, but still

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The dreaded Neanderthal partisan contingent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

Good thing Wargames Atlantic released those plastic partisans!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lmao jesus christ

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Doing the finishing touches on my vistula legion battalion, and yeah... poo poo’s getting weird.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Doing the finishing touches on my vistula legion battalion, and yeah... poo poo’s getting weird.

Hell yeah stripes rule

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Hell yeah stripes rule

Triple stripes is just nuts. And this drummer who has white-red lacing all over for some strange reason.

The rest are more straight forward:

Except the grenadiers, who have czapka (a square top helmet) and WHITE epaulettes instead of red for some strange reasons.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those look lovely! Are they the Paul Hicks sculpts from Brigade Games?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Except the grenadiers, who have czapka (a square top helmet)
What does a czapka look like in this context? I'd GIS but "czapka" means any kind of cap in Polish so :shrug:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Those look lovely! Are they the Paul Hicks sculpts from Brigade Games?

Paul Hicks indeed, but from Murawski Miniatures. And a czapka worn by vistula legion:

But they could be even more fancy:

It’s god damm glorious and one of the main reasons that my second project after the French and Vistula Legion is a detachment of Poles from the Duchy of Warsaw.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 21, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

The dreaded Neanderthal partisan contingent.

The Innsmouth sleeper cell: half man, half Nazi.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

After painting the lowest ranking artillery, i.e. the poor regimental artillery that got whatever guns were left over, it's time to paint their opposite. The horse artillery was stupidly expensive since everyone in the regiment were mounted, so that they could rapidly re-deploy on the battlefield. Their cannons were also drawn by six horses instead of four, for extra speed. And in proper napoleonic fashion, the regiment that was already expensive would also need more expensive uniforms, to show that they were, well, expensive.

First crew out of three:

These are from Foundry, and pretty nice sculpts. I could not resist to paint the sabretaches as well (the big flat bags worn on the side).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

And in proper napoleonic fashion, the regiment that was already expensive would also need more expensive uniforms, to show that they were, well, expensive.

Not giving them expensive uniforms would make the expenses on horses and gun go in vain! Forward, men! Speeend!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Is that man on the end there holding the inanimate carbon rod?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Not giving them expensive uniforms would make the expenses on horses and gun go in vain! Forward, men! Speeend!

When the Polish Duchy of Warsaw started a regiment of cuirassiers, super expensive heavy cavalry, Napoleon went "WTF you madmen, you're providing me with Europe's best light cavalry and you spend your money on this poo poo? I already have 15 regiments, I don't need more!".

But Poniatowski went "but my swaaaaaag...." and postponed dismantling them until they all died in Russia.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Is that man on the end there holding the inanimate carbon rod?

He's holding a rod painted green, but I need to go back and recoat it with a slightly less irradiated green.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wonder how good/historical the Annie sculpts are when compared to Warlord Soviets:

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Female-Soviet-Infantry-Squad-10/p/77407036/category=36713221

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I did it.

I'm hitting the start button on a converted Italian Wars army...

...made of hobbits.

Suitable for the historical thread or should I take it to another thread?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would like to see your italian war hobbits.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
people were shorter in the past

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I did it.

I'm hitting the start button on a converted Italian Wars army...

...made of hobbits.

Suitable for the historical thread or should I take it to another thread?
Yes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ironically it’ll require me to do MORE research than if I just bought historical minis, as I want to convert them with historical designs for clothes and armour. Starting with Atlantic’s plastic box, but looking at the sprues pretty much every helmet will be scrapped. Hoods will be converted with green stuff. And so on.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

In case anyone was following the development of the Grumbler Miniatures range, the online store is up at last.

They are some really nice looking 6mm Napoleonics, right now only the Old Guard are for sale. I've ordered some and will report back on quality once I get them in.

https://grumblerminiatures.com/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

Fire and Sword is the game that I'd love to play, but - well, see the thread title.

Same. I've got some old Essex 15mm Poles, which are decent but don't have a lot of variety. I've been hoping Old Glory would do some Eastern Renaissance, I've liked their minis ever since they dropped their original ACW line and blew everyone's (everyone at Games of Berkeley and environs anyway) mind with quality, variety, and price. I wonder if...

Oh they did,

https://oldglory15s.com/Polish-Commonwealth-15th-17th-Century-Phase-I_c502.htm?page=all

Okay, fine. A few packs of minis and the rulebook go on the shopping list for Christmas.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hell, the £6.5ish fee for non-EU parcels will be in full effect for me after new years. Gonna suck having such a barrier for picking up small orders from the smaller manufacturers. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wonder how badly that's going to affect Amazon's shipping to Ireland. Their free shipping threshold is already twice what it is to the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is there a reason that SP arty is cheaper than field artillery point-wise for the same effect in Flames of War? Beyond 'Battlefront going gently caress you, buy more stuff', that is. I like PSC models but SP guns are one of the things they just don't have.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 25, 2020