Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Obsidian's lead writer, his name escapes me at the moment, talked about this regarding Neverwinter Nights 2. He doesn't mind the idea of romance options per se, but he's also of the opinion that two happy people falling in love and living happily ever after is boring. He thinks romance in fiction is only interesting when it's two broken people making each other and everything around them worse.

Like, he's not wrong that the first doesn't make for much of a story by itself, but does he not get that there's an obvious third option of "two unhappy people falling in love and mutually overcoming their respective shortcomings"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Let Verse to the thing

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
I honestly have no idea what I'd like to see happen here, so I figure the person who actually has strong feelings on the issue can decide.

Name that tune, Verse.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Let Verse decide

Feels a bit like a Tyranny trap I must say, although maybe the DLC is disjointed enough it doesn't pull those.

Also I don't entirely find Verse's reactions to be out of character. Verse went on this quest expecting to find blood on her blades and she was very much looking forward to that. Instead she finds her target and her target's sister dead. The only person left is their mother. A woman who nurtured her daughter's towards war and violence and still loved them both very deeply. A woman who is remorseful for raising her daughters the way she did.

I know Verse is a bloodthirsty maniac, but I think she would still feel sympathy for this woman and also wishing her own mother was more like Nessa.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Whybird posted:

Like, he's not wrong that the first doesn't make for much of a story by itself, but does he not get that there's an obvious third option of "two unhappy people falling in love and mutually overcoming their respective shortcomings"?

Chris Avellone doesn't do happy endings. Like, some things might change for the better, and the world itself may even be on a more positive trajectory, but the best you can hope for from him is a Phillip Pullman-esque "I mean... I guess this counts as 'happy' when you consider the alternatives" ending. Look at the games he's had any sort of significant creative freedom on. Not a one of them has a nice, clean, happy ending, and it makes sense that this would extend to the romances he writes. In fact, the only time a game has had an unequivocal happy ending where he had a prominent creative role was Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and that ending comes at the end of the longest, most grueling, most harrowing campaign to ever feature in a CRPG, and has dozens of flags you need to set in order to unlock it. So, if he was behind that ending, I'd say his philosophy is something like "Sure, you can have your ideal, storybook happy ending, if you absolutely bust your entire rear end for it. Otherwise it's gonna be messy and imperfect because life is hard and merciless."

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

gently caress, i don't care, let verse decide

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It's Verse's quest, so Verse should decide.

The difference in tone of the DLC aside, "Kyros the Overpig" is pretty funny. :laugh:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The thing with Verse's DLC quest is that it isn't actually written badly. Any of the writing with the new characters introduced is honestly good overall. There's subtext with the scumbag liar mercenary, the farmer mother who feels responsible for her daughters deaths and such.

Verse, Nerat, and Ashe all just seem to be acting a bit off. It really does feel like different writers who weren't involved in the core project.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

inflatablefish posted:

gently caress Nerat.
Just on general principles.

Also let Verse decide.

Harem Ending - 3 way with Ashe, Nerat or bust.

let Verse decide

What a useless set of laws Kyros has, where a farmer CAN'T SELL THEIR PRODUCE. In a Market economy.
If she were following Kyros's laws to the letter, that crop would have gone to waste. Because if she can;t sell, she's going to have trouble hiring farmhands to harvest.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Gonna let Verse decide, the alternative I suppose is to let the woman live with the grief.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

Harem Ending - 3 way with Ashe, Nerat or bust.

let Verse decide

What a useless set of laws Kyros has, where a farmer CAN'T SELL THEIR PRODUCE. In a Market economy.
If she were following Kyros's laws to the letter, that crop would have gone to waste. Because if she can;t sell, she's going to have trouble hiring farmhands to harvest.

weird detail here. market economies are a couple hundred years out at this point: back now, "the market" is either informal arrangements with your neighbors, or extremely formal arrangements with your superiors where you have precisely zero negotiating power. kyros' control over the informal bit is anachronistically powerful, but lets ignore both of those anachronisms under "we're playing a video game with magic and ghosts" and move on.

counterpoint: what part of Kyros' law do you think is designed to produce a more numerous populace in the Tiers

ask how many of this woman's children died trying to oppose the Overlord, ask whether Kyros benefits by letting her and those she interacts with not starve to death, and ask whether or not Kyros' laws are doing precisely what they are designed to do here.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
as far as my vote:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

objection: the law is quite clear all things, up to and including your life, are possessed by Kyros. helping someone else commit suicide is a conspiracy to destroy government property and is punishable by fine.

she lives.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Donkringel posted:

Let Verse decide

Feels a bit like a Tyranny trap I must say, although maybe the DLC is disjointed enough it doesn't pull those.

Also I don't entirely find Verse's reactions to be out of character. Verse went on this quest expecting to find blood on her blades and she was very much looking forward to that. Instead she finds her target and her target's sister dead. The only person left is their mother. A woman who nurtured her daughter's towards war and violence and still loved them both very deeply. A woman who is remorseful for raising her daughters the way she did.

I know Verse is a bloodthirsty maniac, but I think she would still feel sympathy for this woman and also wishing her own mother was more like Nessa.
Yeah, this is how I'm reading it. With Irissa dead, Verse can't get her bloody revenge on the person she's actually mad at. She's not above taking her rage out on the next available target, her entire thing with torturing farm animals because she was so frustrated at her mom and her life is a perfect example of that sort of displaced anger, but she's also been in an environment now where you're encouraging more tempered actions in general as opposed to the Scarlet Chorus of Enabling Bad Life Decisions. Plus, there's significant travel time between scenes, so that gives her a chance to cool down from red-hot incandescent rage at a dead woman before they ever talk to Essa.

So basically, I don't think Verse is suddenly demonstrating a psychologically healthy level of empathy here, but that several factors worked together to make her less enthusiastic than she normally would be at a good old fashioned displaced revenge murder. Plus, Essa is actively asking to die! Verse likes a good fight.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

killing someone who wants to die is basically giving them what they want, which defeats the entire point of murdering them out of sheer spite. verse is going to let her live.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

killing someone who wants to die is basically giving them what they want, which defeats the entire point of murdering them out of sheer spite.

Ah yes, the Catch 22 of murder.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Radio Free Kobold posted:

killing someone who wants to die is basically giving them what they want, which defeats the entire point of murdering them out of sheer spite. verse is going to let her live.
Yes, exactly. Essa isn't even offering up a cool fight beforehand so Verse can feel like a badass.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really the fundamental thing about tyranny is about credit and blame assignment. thats why the central point of the biggest tyrannical movement of the 20th century is about blaming the jews for everything. its why passing the buck is a tyrannical thing to do

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 23, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

really the fundamental thing about tyranny is about credit and blame assignment. thats why the central point of the biggest tyrannical movement of the 20th century is about blaming the jews for everything. its why passing the buck is a tyrannical thing to do

Hahaha which the goon hive mind is voting for!

Tyranny trap!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Donkringel posted:

Hahaha which the goon hive mind is voting for!

Tyranny trap!

There's a difference between "passing the buck" and "allowing someone else to choose their own destiny because it's their sidequest and we're not the center of the universe".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a difference between "passing the buck" and "allowing someone else to choose their own destiny because it's their sidequest and we're not the center of the universe".

Certainly, that's a valid and fair point. But, as other's mentioned in past posts, sometimes Tyranny does not allow you to be the RPG character you want to be. When we see claiming the spires as neither sides should get it, others see it as a blatant power grab.

Verse is the one who will either be seeing it as passing the buck or being empowered to choose her own destiny.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

when you put it like that, verse is totally thinking that we're passing the buck.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Would someone else be interested in a mechanics post about experience in Tyranny? I am at the end game with my 4-mage party, and have some thoughts

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xarn posted:

Would someone else be interested in a mechanics post about experience in Tyranny? I am at the end game with my 4-mage party, and have some thoughts
Can I say YES please clearly enough? :D

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Xarn posted:

I'd be interested

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Xarn posted:

:justpost:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Xarn posted:

Feed me content.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I'm interested in hearing about mechanics.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As well as general mage supremacy in this game, an odd quirk that we can see now that we have all the party members is that of the characters clearly meant to be 'melee-focused' or 'tanky':

Barik is stuck in his poo poo-rust and so he cannot wear any different armor.
Kills-in-Shadow is a Beastwoman and so cannot wear armor.

This means that you may end up with a bunch of heavy armor in your inventory and nobody to wear it... besides maybe yourself, but why?

Another option is sticking Sirin in heavy armor. Because her song effects have no relation to any other cooldowns or recovery time, using her as an armored jukebox is viable.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Armor is also really bad at tanking you up. It provides flat reduction in damage, worsens your recovery time (how often you take action) and gets outscaled by attack later on. Compare this with dodge, which prevents all damage when successful, and keeps scaling up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the best tank in the game - and I am aware that is not that much of a distinction - is a melee Verse with a massively jacked up dodge skill.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I was using Lantry to tank. Is he good at it? No, but when the enemies are on fire, frozen, stunned and prone at the same time, he doesn't need to be good. :v:

What I am saying is, caster supremacy

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Xarn posted:

I was using Lantry to tank. Is he good at it? No, but when the enemies are on fire, frozen, stunned and prone at the same time, he doesn't need to be good. :v:

What I am saying is, caster supremacy
There's a certain logic to giving the tank role to someone who's too old to fear death and too high to feel pain. Or is it the other way around?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Here is what I know about how the XP mechanics in this game work, and what I make of it.

The most important thing to know is that there are two kinds of XP, skill XP, which is what you get from e.g. casting spells (lore + magic school), hitting things with your weapon (weapon skill), (not) getting hit (dodging, parrying, etc.), and actual character XP (level-XP?) which is what causes your character to get more levels.

As far as I understand it, you only ever receive level-XP when your skill levels up from getting enough skill XP. When a skill levels up, you receive the new level of your skill as level-XP. So when you level-up from Lore 50 to Lore 51, you get 51 level-XP from it.

As you go up skill-levels, the amount of level-XP you get from skill-XP decreases (or you need to get more skill-XP for the same amount of level-XP, whichever you prefer). This makes sense, but is also yet another mechanic that reinforces mage supremacy. The reason is quite simple: if you specialize in hitting stuff with a weapon, you push your weapon skill up quickly, and then need to spend more time hitting people to get the same # of level-XP. You could switch between different weapon types to get more level-XP, but then you suck at hitting people instead :v:

Mages do not have the same problem, because they have 1 important skill that all casting levels up (Lore), and multiple less important skills that they split skill-XP between (Control Foo), when casting. So apart from spells being just stronger, thanks to crowd-control, status effects and plain dmg, they also level up their users quicker.

Other notes

• XP you get from quest/exploration is just divided between your existing skills (skills don't have to always exist, e.g. magic skill doesn't exist until you use that type of magic). Because you are guaranteed to have some skills at lovely level, this is how you get actual level-XP from quests.
  • Subterfuge is surprisingly easy to level up, and the way that works also helps mage supremacy. The trick is that sneaking in this game is not binary, that is, it is not that you are either spotted or not. The way it works is that there 3 levels of detection, and if you are "in sight", then the detection level is slowly going up. While it is going up, you are getting Subterfuge XP, and can do things, such as start casting spells to remove an enemy from the combat instantly... Fighters get less benefits, because bows loving suck and other weapons don't get significant benefits from "precasting" (preswinging? :v:).
  • If you want to maximize your XP, you should save your allotted trainings until later in the game. Each training gives you a skill-level, no matter how much skill-XP you need, so you using them early gives less total level-XP.

How to utterly break the game as a mage (for no reason whatsoever, because mage is already easy mode)

this will be in a later post, I want to finish testing just how far I can take this first

------------------------------

So is there anything balancing mages out? Yes, three things.

• Tedium. The AI is really bad at spellcasting, so you have to babysit your mage party a lot.
  • Things die too fast. Past a certain point of the game, my 4-mage party averaged out less than 1 spell each per opponent in a fight. This does somewhat limit the skill-XP intake you get, if you don't make the fights even more tedious by intentionally spamming spells that don't do damage.
  • The combat is easy anyway. You can break the game with mages. But there is no reason to, the combat is not particularly hard anyway.

(Yeah, I was just kidding about it balancing out :suicide:)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarn posted:

How to utterly break the game as a mage (for no reason whatsoever, because mage is already easy mode)

this will be in a later post, I want to finish testing just how far I can take this first

Prerequisites:
  • Bunch of trainer uses (you get 5 per level up), and a lot of Lore and other support skills (Athletics, Subterfuge, Dodge, Parry) skill-XP. As noted in previous post, Subterfuge is easy to train and Athletics is all over the place in dialogues.
  • Infirmary Spire upgrade
  • The Retraining hireling (Fatebinder Cesper) in the main spire, and master lore trainer (Sage Euphera) in Infirmary spire.
  • Cash to spare

So the trick is that when you get a skill-level through a trainer, your get level-XP from it, as described in the previous post. And trainers just flat out give you enough skill-XP to get the next level...

What you do is that you retrain the character you want to break the game with, and put Lore to ~140, or as high as possible otherwise. Then you teleport over to the trainer, and get yourself trained to 150 (master trainer limit). This will also get you a bunch level-XP, so you will likely level up, and get even more trainings. After you are maxed out, retrain, put Lore to ~140, rinse and repeat until you run out of trainings.

This should get you an absurd amount of support skill XPs. Even after I wasted a bunch of trainings because I misread the retraining UI and was too lazy to retrain again to fix my mistake, and got bored before running out of trainings, my Fatebinder went from lvl 15 to 20, and from 74 to 176 ranks Lore. (With abilities and party boost, it is 230+.)

By using up your trainings like this, you now have access to even more absurdly overpowered spells...

But wait, there is more!

Spells only check that you have enough Lore when you first memorize them. So can you use temporary Lore boosts (potions, shrooms) just before a fight ends, wait for the combat timeout and then fill out your spell slots with spells that are over your "normal" Lore cap. The biggest boost is from Skycap which gives you 26 extra Lore, and there is at least one extra potion that also helps...

Placing it all together, you can probably have spells requiring 300+ Lore and use it for your victory lap in the end game. :black101:

Other notes:
  • Retraining UI is bugged and shows wrong values for cost of leveling up skills during retraining. lol Obsidian
  • You can also use different master trainers, but you need significant XP pool to get started, and you want to boost support skill pool to max out Lore afterwards.
  • You can put Lore to 149 for maximizing gains, but if you are willing to get through that level of tedium, maybe just edit your saves instead?
  • The retraining UI can be kinda confusing. You have to use up all of your support XP pool, because if you save before using it all up, it will be split into skills you have trained. So Lore. For combat XP pool you need to just click one skill and save afterwards, because you don't care whether it overlevels.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Xarn posted:

Prerequisites:
  • Bunch of trainer uses (you get 5 per level up), and a lot of Lore and other support skills (Athletics, Subterfuge, Dodge, Parry) skill-XP. As noted in previous post, Subterfuge is easy to train and Athletics is all over the place in dialogues.
  • Infirmary Spire upgrade
  • The Retraining hireling (Fatebinder Cesper) in the main spire, and master lore trainer (Sage Euphera) in Infirmary spire.
  • Cash to spare

So the trick is that when you get a skill-level through a trainer, your get level-XP from it, as described in the previous post. And trainers just flat out give you enough skill-XP to get the next level...

What you do is that you retrain the character you want to break the game with, and put Lore to ~140, or as high as possible otherwise. Then you teleport over to the trainer, and get yourself trained to 150 (master trainer limit). This will also get you a bunch level-XP, so you will likely level up, and get even more trainings. After you are maxed out, retrain, put Lore to ~140, rinse and repeat until you run out of trainings.

This should get you an absurd amount of support skill XPs. Even after I wasted a bunch of trainings because I misread the retraining UI and was too lazy to retrain again to fix my mistake, and got bored before running out of trainings, my Fatebinder went from lvl 15 to 20, and from 74 to 176 ranks Lore. (With abilities and party boost, it is 230+.)

By using up your trainings like this, you now have access to even more absurdly overpowered spells...

But wait, there is more!

Spells only check that you have enough Lore when you first memorize them. So can you use temporary Lore boosts (potions, shrooms) just before a fight ends, wait for the combat timeout and then fill out your spell slots with spells that are over your "normal" Lore cap. The biggest boost is from Skycap which gives you 26 extra Lore, and there is at least one extra potion that also helps...

Placing it all together, you can probably have spells requiring 300+ Lore and use it for your victory lap in the end game. :black101:

Other notes:
  • Retraining UI is bugged and shows wrong values for cost of leveling up skills during retraining. lol Obsidian
  • You can also use different master trainers, but you need significant XP pool to get started, and you want to boost support skill pool to max out Lore afterwards.
  • You can put Lore to 149 for maximizing gains, but if you are willing to get through that level of tedium, maybe just edit your saves instead?
  • The retraining UI can be kinda confusing. You have to use up all of your support XP pool, because if you save before using it all up, it will be split into skills you have trained. So Lore. For combat XP pool you need to just click one skill and save afterwards, because you don't care whether it overlevels.

Sounds like you found out how the Archons became Archons.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Unfortunately we kinda killed the infirmary trainer otherwise I'd be doing this.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On my save I count 5 different master support skill trainers in the Training Grounds spire upgrade. :eng101:

(Shame about the Training Grounds being the worst upgrade otherwise)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Unfortunately we kinda killed the infirmary trainer otherwise I'd be doing this.

When did this happen?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
She is a Sage, so I assume when we burned down the library without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if they didn't want the library to be burned they shouldn't have filled it with so much flammable stuff :colbert: