Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hit a little too close to home, did I?

I have never heard of any of those people, and dislike all three of the new Star Trek shows with opinions formed by watching the shows that have nothing to do with any women, minorities, or sexual identities of the characters.

It's just weird you're attributing disliking the shows to these people that nobody has heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nine-gear crow posted:

Hit a little too close to home, did I?

:lol:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Also lol that some random group on twitter or reddit or something that I've never heard of has some influence on my opinions on New Trek

Who knew that thinking Disco's writers are bad at their jobs meant I'm secretly a member of some Nazi cabal. :eyepop:

Season three is still okay but every episode just makes me wish Lower Decks was back already.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SO IMPORTANT that the Empire now employs more women and 🙌 BIPOC 🙌 to prosecute its genocidal wars of expansion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

SO IMPORTANT that the Empire now employs more women and 🙌 BIPOC 🙌 to prosecute its genocidal wars of expansion.

HIRE👏MORE👏BIPOC👏GENOCIDERS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Season three is still okay but every episode just makes me wish Lower Decks was back already.

Fully agree. I've been saying all along that Discovery is good enough

As in good enough that I'm going to keep watching it without paying for it

But I really don't think they should be happy with that

On the other hand, I greatly look forward to Lower Decks, Expanse, and Orville starting up again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the first half of S1 and second half of S2 were genuinely bad overall (I liked the MU and pre-Control eps), 3 is better but still not good. Cannot fuckin wait for Expanse day, it'll give me a reason to take a break from the 140 hours of Cyberpunk I just played.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Super Deuce posted:

I have never heard of any of those people, and dislike all three of the new Star Trek shows with opinions formed by watching the shows that have nothing to do with any women, minorities, or sexual identities of the characters.

It's just weird you're attributing disliking the shows to these people that nobody has heard of.

they arent though. like we just had this convo half a page back

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Verviticus posted:

they arent though. like we just had this convo half a page back

And the person I quoted doubled down on their bogus claim of everyone who doesn't like these shows is somehow a youtube Nazi.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like A LOT the diversity on DISCO

Doesn't make the writing good, either the dialog or the overall plot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think the writing is quite fine, this season especially. It only goes off the rails when Michael is on screen - even more so now she feels like a character from an entirely different show that somehow found themselves on Star Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"It's only bad when the main character is there" lol

But pretty much everything so far has been Almost Cool

Why didn't they go back to the desk guy? Why did they jump straight to Trill? Why is Empress Hitler anywhere at all other than meta stuff about contracts and misapplied Rule of Cool

She almost seems like a bad copy of Melinda May from agents of shield

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Bloop posted:

"It's only bad when the main character is there" lol

But pretty much everything so far has been Almost Cool

Why didn't they go back to the desk guy? Why did they jump straight to Trill? Why is Empress Hitler anywhere at all other than meta stuff about contracts and misapplied Rule of Cool

She almost seems like a bad copy of Melinda May from agents of shield

can't wait for space hitler's flashbacks to be from the job in space bahrain

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't care that it's ridiculous and invoke Clarke's law that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Love that someone thought it up and then they made it happen on-screen.
Does Book's ship have a name and classification?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Millennium Fuckin Dumb

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

I don't care that it's ridiculous and invoke Clarke's law that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Why though

What did it accomplish

It feels like Michael Bay complexity for the sake of it

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It would have been just as cool if it stopped on a dime and flipped over

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pile of brown posted:

It would have been just as cool if it stopped on a dime and flipped over

Cooler even. It would have been cool as hell if it had been continually shooting while doing a flip over the target. Much better than stop firing, have the ship fall apart, and then come back together facing the other way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing there was beyond previous trek tech

Show me a smooth undifferentiated mass that manifests beam phaser fire anywhere on its surface and reshapes fluidly to fit through there

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It already started rotating before it broke up... it probably took the same amount of time to break up and reform that it would have taken to finish the turn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the ship is going to come apart, at least have the pieces flying around and shooting phasers at everything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Or like it reveals some weird energy sphere that blasts a pulse weapon before it reassembles

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Binary Logic posted:

drat.

That looks really dumb.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Actually if you look close that rear boxy section does just do a complete curve, all the other parts basically just splay out and then reattach. That front bit does a complete 360 too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

piratepilates posted:

drat.

That looks really dumb.

It reminds me of beyond skyline

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

When you people kept saying programmable matter in here, I pictured something like the size of lego blocks flying around in a swarm and rearranging to be something completely different.

His ship just kinda, splits in to drumsticks and wings and then back again. Just turning around would be faster lmao.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A borg ship wouldn't have had to do any of that nonsense.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Book's ship is a K'Nex class.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

piratepilates posted:

When you people kept saying programmable matter in here, I pictured something like the size of lego blocks flying around in a swarm and rearranging to be something completely different.

His ship just kinda, splits in to drumsticks and wings and then back again. Just turning around would be faster lmao.

That ship isn't the programmable matter, that's like a nanobot swarm. Ships are just entirely held together by structural integrity fields now I guess so the pieces aren't connected. Hope the power doesn't go out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here's the real question; Why can it split? "Because it's cool" isn't enough for good ship design, you've gotta at least attempt a handwave of some kind of practicality in-universe. Do the individual bits do anything? Can the ship change its configuration at all, or have new modules integrated? Because all we've seen is the special effects equivalent of jingling keys at infants.

If you're gonna make your hero ship come apart like that, lean into it. Have all the bits go off on their own shooting at individual targets in a multi-vector assault mode. Or just reform the ship on the fly to dash through tight spaces. All they've functionally done is rip off Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's the real question; Why can it split? "Because it's cool" isn't enough for good ship design, you've gotta at least attempt a handwave of some kind of practicality in-universe. Do the individual bits do anything? Can the ship change its configuration at all, or have new modules integrated? Because all we've seen is the special effects equivalent of jingling keys at infants.

If you're gonna make your hero ship come apart like that, lean into it. Have all the bits go off on their own shooting at individual targets in a multi-vector assault mode. Or just reform the ship on the fly to dash through tight spaces. All they've functionally done is rip off Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon.

Ramadu posted:

lol source your quotes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's to gently caress over everyone in the Jeffries Tubes clearly.

If Dilithium and power are at a premium modern poo poo should be spartan as gently caress but we didn't think the plot device through at all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"The nacelles are detached now."
"And the warp core?"
"Next to the nursery, medbay, and torpedo storage, as always."

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
If your modular ship gets blown up does it make bowling pin sounds

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
phased programmable bio-neural holomatter self-sealing quantum stem bolts

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I'll give you a hundred thousand quatloos for your entire inventory!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's a ship with a cockpit on the side, a long flat body, and has a lone mercenary captain with a secret heart of gold and a gigantic furry companion with a temper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Minion of Freya posted:

I'll give you a hundred thousand quatloos for your entire inventory!

we only accept LatCoin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a ship with a cockpit on the side, a long flat body, and has a lone mercenary captain with a secret heart of gold and a gigantic furry companion with a temper.

I was more laughing at your "They can't just make a ship because they think it looks cool :argh:" comment, but I will also chuckle at your poor star wars comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No, it's a good comparison. That thing is the falcon

Maybe a Dash of the Outrider