Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The Christian Science Dark Monitor. :haw:

i did a rudy :(

the true story can be found in the other thread that matches ctrl-f "quote"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We're still on the lookout for the christian science merrimack.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

We're still on the lookout for the christian science merrimack.

:dadjoke:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

i am a big fat dumbass

Mr. President O7

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/1newsnz/status/1330677864555896834?s=21

Mods can I get a name change to Johnny Rotten Penis?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wouldn't throw the Pope out of bed unless I wanted to gently caress him on the floor.

Sir Lemming posted:

Or a certain type of Thai curry.

Massaman Curry is (probably) named after the Malay and/or Indian Muslim merchants whose cuisine inspired it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Massaman Curry is (probably) named after the Malay and/or Indian Muslim merchants whose cuisine inspired it.

At least it doesn’t use, uh, makrut lime leaves.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/1newsnz/status/1330677864555896834?s=21

Mods can I get a name change to Johnny Rotten Penis?

Stupid flea, do you not know where that knob has been?!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Alas, auto correct

zakharov has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Nov 23, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

👽 :iiam:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I mean, giant armless predators and teethed birds with chimp-level intelligence were definitely possible if dinosaurs did not extinct. And if we go beyond dinosaurs we probably would get flightless pterosaurs the size of sauropods and filter-feeding sea lizards with sonar. But geology is still gonna happen and climate change will do the dinosaurs in like so many other living things before them. The Triassic alone had like 3 mass extinction events caused by climate change: the Permian-Triassic one that killed most mammal-relatives and let the reptiles take over, the mid-Triassic one that killed most of those reptiles and allowed the dinosaurs to take over, and a smaller Triassic-Jurassic one that killed off most of the larger non-dinosaur reptiles and made the dinosaurs became giants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whether or not the dinosaurs were already dying out at the time of the asteroid impact is actually a major, decades-long debate in paleontological circles. The headline is stupid but the actual story isn't.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Maybe the dinos wouldn't have dominated the earth anyway, maybe they would've been kind lovers to Gaia, unlike humans.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Not all of them died

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The wrong birds died

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The wrong birds died

Want to know what's crazy? Almost every type of bird that exists now had a common ancestor that lived after the dinosaurs went extinct. The only types of modern birds that were around when dinosaurs still existed were still-flying ancestors of ostriches, emus, cassowaries and kiwis (except we only guessed this based on molecular studies of DNA and have not found their fossils yet), and chickens and ducks (the oldest modern bird fossil is a type of long-legged half-duck half-chicken from Europe).

Also there's a controversial theory that Velociraptors and similar animals were not dinosaurs but flightless birds.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The MSJ posted:

Also there's a controversial theory that Velociraptors and similar animals were not dinosaurs but flightless birds.

There seems to be a consensus now that birds themselves are the last surviving branch of dinosauria, so I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There seems to be a consensus now that birds themselves are the last surviving branch of dinosauria, so I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

It means biologists, like most scientists, will happily spend their entire lives fighting over largely meaningless chicken-and-egg minutiae.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dachshundofdoom posted:

It means biologists, like most scientists, will happily spend their entire lives fighting over largely meaningless chicken-and-egg minutiae.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dachshundofdoom posted:

The first thing we could arguably call a chicken hatched from a thing we would definitely call an egg so that's a solved question.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He means they first evolved flight and then evolved to be flightless (that's what a flightless bird is), and presumably also that they were more closely related to birds than to non-avian dinosaurs.

e: I have heard this about certain -raptors but not the Velociraptor

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

He means they first evolved flight and then evolved to be flightless (that's what a flightless bird is), and presumably also that they were more closely related to birds than to non-avian dinosaurs.

e: I have heard this about certain -raptors but not the Velociraptor

Ok, that makes sense. From what I've read we pretty much know some microraptors could fly. There were also raptor relatives that definitely couldn't yet had what appear to be full-on flight feathers. Potential explanations include fast runners using their wings to help with steering.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've started watching PBS Eons where they talk about this sort of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer posted:

The first thing we could arguably call a chicken hatched from a thing we would definitely call an egg so that's a solved question.

The egg was laid by a creature we’re arguing wasn’t a chicken.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It was laid by Satan himself to sow discord amongst humanity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ok, that makes sense. From what I've read we pretty much know some microraptors could fly. There were also raptor relatives that definitely couldn't yet had what appear to be full-on flight feathers. Potential explanations include fast runners using their wings to help with steering.

dino all running like naruto

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

The egg was laid by a creature we’re arguing wasn’t a chicken.

riiiiiiigghhhttt... that's what the post you quoted is indeed saying

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes but you see it wasn't a chicken, I think that's what everybody here is missing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A Weird Monolith Is Found in the Utah Desert

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I've started watching PBS Eons where they talk about this sort of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

You guys got more paleo channels to recommend?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I mean, you can see the screws

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why would you deny that this was made by aliens....unless.....you're an alien youreself .......

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look bud I don't write the weird headlines

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It also appears to be made of metal, which disqualifies it from being a lith of any variety.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Okay, what is this advertising?

Carthag Tuek posted:

dino all running like naruto

Abelisaurs like Carnotaurus had tiny arms (the tiniest in relation to body size) that naturally pointed backwards. They can't even point it forward.

Phlegmish posted:

You guys got more paleo channels to recommend?

Ben G Thomas
Moth Light Media
TREY The Explainer
E.D.G.E
Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Nov 25, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I take issue with the statement above that dinosaurs were in fact, "doing well"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

Okay, what is this advertising?

Abelisaurs like Carnotaurus had tiny arms (the tiniest in relation to body size) that naturally pointed backwards. They can't even point it forward.

Ben G Thomas
Moth Light Media
TREY The Explainer
E.D.G.E
Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong

lol push that fuken nerd dino over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks.

Seems there's been a CAMBRIC EXPLOSION of these channels in the past few years :D

e: poo poo I meant Cambrian, see this is why I need edutainment

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Nov 25, 2020