Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Are there any good tricks for compressing leafs into a paper leaf bag? There has to be a better way than just pushing down on it with my hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I am too lazy to rake, so I tend to run all the leaves on my lawn over with a lawn mower. Back when I was still throwing them away, they'd go into one of those big lawn waste paper bags real easily because they'd be in a million tiny pieces as opposed to a few bigass leaves. Jiggle slightly to compress!

Now I still mow them, but I either put them in the compost or just set the mower to mulch and send them back into the yard as free fertilizer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't really know which tech thread to ask this in - I'm using citrix for my WFH on my mac, but recently I have this weird issue where in certain programs like text editors, ms word, etc. the little cursor (not the mouse cursor, but the vertical line it changes to when you are over text) is now white instead of black, which makes it very hard to see where I am. If I want to put the cursor someone else, I basically have to guess as it's invisible against the white background. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bioshuffle posted:

Are there any good tricks for compressing leafs into a paper leaf bag? There has to be a better way than just pushing down on it with my hands?

My trick is to mow them once without a bag to get them all chopped up, then mow again with a bag. They compress way, way better than just raking or doing a single mow, and it's way faster than just raking. I've converted everyone who has tried this method.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There are leaf blowers that have an option to convert to suck/chop/compress but thats probably a couple hundred bucks

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

No. The ball is placed by the refs and can't be moved.

I was just thinking of a situation where a team might be on the opponents 1 and have a poo poo running game, so they might want to back it up to spread out the defense/zone coverage. I guess they could just take an intentional delay of game. Considering this has never happened to my knowledge, it is probably a terrible idea and that's why I never get any replies when I submit my resume to be an offensive coordinator.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the best website for custom trophies?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Stravag posted:

Possibly. The automated email i got was "profanity or did not meet our guidelines" and my review was " item never arrived" so its possible

You're meant to review the product, not the seller.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

I was just thinking of a situation where a team might be on the opponents 1 and have a poo poo running game, so they might want to back it up to spread out the defense/zone coverage. I guess they could just take an intentional delay of game. Considering this has never happened to my knowledge, it is probably a terrible idea and that's why I never get any replies when I submit my resume to be an offensive coordinator.

Even at the 1 you have the 20 yards of the end zone to work with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grouchio posted:

Regarding brain implants such as Neuralink, what sort of protection exists to prevent brain-hacking? If insufficient, how would brain implant cybersecurity be updated or augmented?
https://twitter.com/a_greenberg/status/1330894644696272897

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Okay no, there's definitely something wrong with Twitch letting me change usernames. I just tried one that I was certain wouldn't have been taken before, got the same message "this username already exists" at the last minute after entering my password to confirm, and then went and made a new account with it. Clearly it wasn't actually taken, it let me make the account but for some reason wouldn't let me switch.

Time to keep trying to find a search term that will help I guess....

ETA: cleared my cache and cookies and tried again, now it's complaining I've gotten my password wrong too many times in the last few minutes and need to wait a few minutes. At least it's a different incorrect error message, this feels like progress!

ETA#2: in case anyone was waiting with bated breath for the end to this thrilling saga, what has eventually done the trick is some combination of logging out from Twitch on every browser I'd been trying, using Microsoft Edge (i.e. a browser I have essentially never used for anything), totally clear cache and cookies, manually typing in password instead of auto-filling from my password manager.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 24, 2020

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
It's killing me I can't remember this but...what's that video where someone reproduced a very strange video of some guy doing cowboy...swing dancing? Or just some kind of cowboy dancing where it was sort of electro music and it would fade in and out of them doing this bizarre dance? I think they originally did it for a toxx?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

actionjackson posted:

I don't really know which tech thread to ask this in - I'm using citrix for my WFH on my mac, but recently I have this weird issue where in certain programs like text editors, ms word, etc. the little cursor (not the mouse cursor, but the vertical line it changes to when you are over text) is now white instead of black, which makes it very hard to see where I am. If I want to put the cursor someone else, I basically have to guess as it's invisible against the white background. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have an idea what you are working with and have some suggestions. I do want to be sure that you are not having this issue when working on apps on your mac, correct?

First, are you using the Citrix Workspace or are you logging in through a web portal?

If you are using the web portal, I would suggest the workspace app instead as in my experience it is more stable. You can get the latest version here https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/mac/workspace-app-for-mac-latest.html and that should be version 2020, just dropped last month.

If you are going to stick with the web version, what browser are you using? Safari/Opera can probably handle it, but I prefer firefox or Chrome. Either way, make sure it's up to date.

If you are going with workspace, again, make sure you are using the latest version. You might need a clean install (uninstall old version, reboot, install new version) but that is a little extreme.

If you are fully up to date and you have tried both a web version and the Workspace app and the problem follows you across both versions/multiple browsers, then you're probably looking at a profile corruption. IME more common than I'd like. This might be the time to bring in your company's IT people.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Even at the 1 you have the 20 yards of the end zone to work with.

The end zone is 10 yards deep. In the NFL, at least.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I have a firgidaire fridge/freezer combo with double vertical doors. between 6-9 years old by best guess.

A few weeks ago the fridge side started beeping with an alarm because it got too warm in there. Found that the coils (which are inside and at the bottom of the freezer) were badly frozen over. Unplugged it for a few hours, cleaned the coils in back, and with some disassembly and chiseling, managed to get the giant ice brick out and free up space around the coils inside. Plugged it back in and within another two hours things were back to normal, temp was OK again.

Cut to today, and my wife has noticed that the ice buildup is back. Not as bad, but certainly not good either.

As I'm typing this I'm reminded of an issue that might be related. When we first moved in to this house (6 years ago) the ice maker worked fine. Then within the first year, it just stopped producing ice. I'm wondering if the feed line for the ice maker might have become loose inside and started dripping water very slowly down onto the coils, building up and blocking the vents there.

If there is no slow leak happening there, what else might contribute to freezing over? What can I do to fix it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

If there is no slow leak happening there, what else might contribute to freezing over? What can I do to fix it?

Unintuitively, when you have a low refrigerant level things get colder (until it's low enough that it doesn't cool at all). At the suspected age it's entirely likely that you've got a slow refrigerant leak somewhere.

Alternate explanation would be a defrost function that's not working. You should be able to look up the model number and find a diagram on one of the appliance parts sites. Look in the area where you are getting the ice buildup and see what's around there. And feel free to link specifics here.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

ulex minor posted:

It's killing me I can't remember this but...what's that video where someone reproduced a very strange video of some guy doing cowboy...swing dancing? Or just some kind of cowboy dancing where it was sort of electro music and it would fade in and out of them doing this bizarre dance? I think they originally did it for a toxx?

Phone posting so the thumbnails won't, but it was part of a variety of voluntary mod challenges in e/n (I think?)
Original : https://youtu.be/AGi6lpib-rU
Remake : https://youtu.be/Eb_IQA9Zbow

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there still a weather geek thread?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

alnilam posted:

Is there still a weather geek thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762868

et voila

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:thanks:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

paternity suitor posted:

I do hope that friendship and community is embraced as a health issue. People are comfortable doing most anything if it’s “for your health”. I swear it used to be considered weird to take walks for no reason, but now that it’s “getting your steps in” it’s socially acceptable. Yes I used to be “guy who takes walks” at work before fit bits normalized it 😛
(How do you even manage to get your steps in at work if that means breaching your 30 minute break time allottance? I just started 8 hour work days and 30 minutes seems a tad cruel for this narcoleptic)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SkunkDuster posted:

As others have mentioned, the end zone is 10-yards deep, so teams do have room to run all sorts of passing plays (Such as the much maligned goal line fade, sneaking tight ends out from blocking positions, or the always hilarious tackle-eligible).

While I cannot recall a team ever intentionally taking a penalty to move further back from the goal line when trying to get a touchdown, I have seen situations where an offense did have a penalty on a previous play (Holding or something common like that) which moved them back a few yards, and announcers will comment that it’s not a huge negative as the additional yardage gives them more room to use different route combinations.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Phone posting so the thumbnails won't, but it was part of a variety of voluntary mod challenges in e/n (I think?)
Original : https://youtu.be/AGi6lpib-rU
Remake : https://youtu.be/Eb_IQA9Zbow

you're a saint, thanks a bunch!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

New question, what is the song playing in that video?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

So we salvaged a Polaroid Polasonic Autofocus 4000 out of my FIL’s old stuff. It seems to work fine when we measure out the distance and manually pull the focus but whenever we use the autofocus the pictures are blurry. Is it broken or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how a “sonar autofocus” works?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

Unintuitively, when you have a low refrigerant level things get colder (until it's low enough that it doesn't cool at all). At the suspected age it's entirely likely that you've got a slow refrigerant leak somewhere.

Alternate explanation would be a defrost function that's not working. You should be able to look up the model number and find a diagram on one of the appliance parts sites. Look in the area where you are getting the ice buildup and see what's around there. And feel free to link specifics here.

Thanks for the help. The model is FFHS2622MSJ and looking up the diagram from repair clinic, the ice is building up in the trough which houses the evaporator. I see that there is a defroster that is probably not doing it's job. Would the next step be to remove the defroster, hook it up to the multimeter and see if it is getting power/broken? If it is getting power, what would the next step be?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Would the next step be to remove the defroster, hook it up to the multimeter and see if it is getting power/broken? If it is getting power, what would the next step be?

Look for a defrost timer on that diagram. I'd start with that just based on my own anecdotal experience. But yeah, you're pretty much going to need to see if it's getting power and if it is if the defroster itself is still working.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have one of these in my kitchen.

It has started flickering. Is there anything I can do about that, not being an electrician of any sort?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm searching for a new apartment and the housing agency posts new listings directly on their website. Since they do not have an instant notification option, I wanted to set up something where it lets me know when their listing page has been updated or something has been changed. How would you recommend I go about this? Is there a simple app or extension I can use or does it involve some coding?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Memento posted:

It has started flickering. Is there anything I can do about that, not being an electrician of any sort?

Doubtful. LEDs flickering are almost always bad electronics.

You can double check that the hot and neutral going to the fixture are correctly connected/snugged down but I really doubt that's going to be the issue.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ask in the DIY electrical thread.

The answer is probably having to replace the fixture though, which is why those integrated LED fixtures are terrible.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the best way to print photos for long life. Old film photos used to be super glossy and on card, is that what you get from a photo printer and how does it work out price wise, is it even more insane than inkjets?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crankit posted:

What's the best way to print photos for long life. Old film photos used to be super glossy and on card, is that what you get from a photo printer and how does it work out price wise, is it even more insane than inkjets?

"Old flim photos" weren't all printed the same.

It sounds like you're looking for "archival quality" and that most definitely exists and is usually chemical prints (like "old film photos") of digital photos.

You're gonna PAY for it. https://www.archival-photos.com/ (there are many other labs that offer this service)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

Consumer photo printers are glorified inkjets.

There are many ways digital photos can be printed on a commercial scale, from inkjets with archival pigments, all the say up to silver gelatin prints using the same chemical process as darkroom film printing but with a super precise projector rather than a negative and enlarger.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crankit posted:

Your best bet is probably just to go down to your local print shop and tell them what you need, and let them suggest a product. Unless you're printing menu thousands of photos, it's not worth getting your own printer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI another cool thing you can do at the fancy photo printing places is print “black and white” photos in true grey scale. No color ink even in the printer, so no chance of there being odd tints.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Memento posted:

It doesn't look like this is a conversion from a flourescent ring tube fixture - looks way too neat (e.g. nothing on the finish from the clips, wires soldered onto the LEDs, etc) so it's likely not a relatively simple fix of replacing the ballast. It doesn't seem likely that you're having a grounding problem, but that's something you could check with

Get a better shot of the box that's wired to the ring of LEDs with the white/red wires, and while you're up there measure the diameter of the fixture.

Google the part number, see if you can find a replacement unit and/or a maintenance manual and compare the cost/wait time (e.g. you may have to call some local speciality lighting stores to get it and wait 6-8 weeks for a replacement in these covid times) to replacing the whole thing with a new fixture - if you're in the US Lowes & Home Depot have a fairly large lighting section, and I've seen fixtures occasionally at Costco as well - I'd be slightly wary of ordering off Amazon unless it was the exact model that you've seen in person.

Now the disclaimers:
1. Doing any kind of mains electrical work may be illegal in your juristdiction unless you are a licensed electrician.
2. It is not in mine, and I have hung fans and replaced ballasts etc. without killing myself so far.
3. If you do DIY, make triple drat sure that the power is off to the fixture, preferably by flipping the breaker for that circuit. You will want a multimeter or A/C detector as well as a pair of wire strippers and some electrical tape. Use a tall ladder so that you are not straining.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do sites like Facebook, imgur, Reddit etc. all adopt new formats or layouts which the members almost universally hate, yet insist on people using it? How does that benefit the site in terms of revenue? I've pretty much abandoned Facebook now (yeah yeah, I know, no one should use it at all) because it's so loving irritating, and I have adblockers on all my browsers so if there are more ads, I'm not noticing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why do sites like Facebook, imgur, Reddit etc. all adopt new formats or layouts which the members almost universally hate, yet insist on people using it? How does that benefit the site in terms of revenue? I've pretty much abandoned Facebook now (yeah yeah, I know, no one should use it at all) because it's so loving irritating, and I have adblockers on all my browsers so if there are more ads, I'm not noticing.

If the people who design the interfaces aren't designing new interfaces, there's no reason to keep them employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Drimble Wedge posted:

It’s not about users it’s about being able to push marketing to those users in new ways to counter subversion of those marketing tools. For all the whining people do about these redesigns, very very few actually quit because of them.

And it’s not necessarily marketing for the site, but for entities that market through those sites. Making it easier for a brand to get their stuff into your eyes, etc

Edit: also, data collection.