Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

exquisite tea posted:

The real reason you shouldn't go to Redcliffe before visiting the Mage Tower is because if you choose to use the mages to help Connor it kicks off 25 hours of The Quest That Never Ends Oh My God.

On the other hand, Redcliffe is the fastest way to get Zevran since all you need is to clear up to meeting Connor for the first time.

You can take all the time you need to save Connor either way really, whether you go to Redcliffe or not doesn't affect how long it takes to clear the Mage Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I talked to Zevran twice in camp and I guess that wasn't enough for him so then he tried to assassinate me again in Denerim, so I killed him for good that time. What a pointless character.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Dance Officer posted:

So as I'm playing through DA:O, I notice that my sword and board character isn't doing a lot of damage. I remember someone saying that you can build your tank to do a lot of damage as well. Can anyone expand on that a bit?

For starters, are you putting all stat points to STR?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I was told that dex was more important so no, I'm putting more into dex.

Also just got oneshot by cauthrien, because of course.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dance Officer posted:

That's probably a lot of it. Str boosts melee damage and let's you get better gear while dex will make you dodge more. I've found that getting a bunch of dex early will let you dodge tank pretty solid, but once you have that early critical mass you still want to go for pure strength with con as needed.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
A sword&shield warrior only needs 26 dex (22 if you count the free +4 dex you get in the fade) to get the Shield Mastery talent.

Dance Officer posted:

Cauthrien is supposed to one shot pretty much all builds. That encounter can be won, but it requires you cheesing the AI a bit and taking advantage of how stupidly overpowered mages are.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Raygereio posted:

A sword&shield warrior only needs 26 dex (22 if you count the free +4 dex you get in the fade) to get the Shield Mastery talent.

Cauthrien is supposed to one shot pretty much all builds. That encounter can be won, but it requires you cheesing the AI a bit and taking advantage of how stupidly overpowered mages are.

Ask me about my first playthrough as a mage, winning that fight after a few tries (I didn't know I was supposed to lose), and then not realizing there was a whole section of the game I missed out on. I completed the game and then saw all these people laughing about the prison break pairings and I had no idea wtf.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fun fact about her with how the triggers work. You can kill her and all but one of her guards, loot the bodies, and let the last guard kill you magically activating the PC is arrested trigger and bringing her back to life. This lets you do the breakout mission, get the experience and loot from the fight, and kill her twice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

exquisite tea posted:

I talked to Zevran twice in camp and I guess that wasn't enough for him so then he tried to assassinate me again in Denerim, so I killed him for good that time. What a pointless character.

I'm still baffled they actually went out of their way to get a French actress for Leliana and then you've got Zevran who has an accent like loving Strong Bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I thought he was supposed to be Antivan, AKA Thedas Spain.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

exquisite tea posted:

I thought he was supposed to be Antivan, AKA Thedas Spain.

Yeah my point is it's a very obviously not-Spanish dude trying to do a Spanish accent and it really, really shows.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Ark Eamon is Cailan’s uncle which means he’d be at least sympathetic. Additionally, the only person in your party who knows people at that point is Alistair, so it makes sense you’d go there.

That's kind of the point.

Arl Eamon is Cailan's uncle. Cailan's other uncle probably just told him the Gray Wardens betrayed and killed his nephew. You know, the man he's fought with for years, and likely views as a hero figure.

Now of course that's not what happened and instead Loghain went for the poison trick and Eamon wasn't on great terms with Loghain it seems. But you as the player character don't know that. You are just being told this man who is likely very close to Loghain and would be super attached to the lie will probably help you cause "he's a good man" ( who may be dead/dying and replaced by a not good man, no big deal ).

Also while Alistair knows him, he doesn't give a great defense of him in Lothering. It's not till you actually get to Redcliffe ( or finish another zone ) does he explain why Arl Eamon will absolutely help the PC. Before that it's just "well I heard he's a good man, and I believe that." if you focus him on it.

I'm not saying Redcliffe isn't a great idea in game terms. It's an easy zone to do, and a good starter. I'm saying in terms of what info you have on hand leaving Lothering it's a real loving bad call, and basically up there with "go kill Loghain".

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Blockhouse posted:

I'm still baffled they actually went out of their way to get a French actress for Leliana and then you've got Zevran who has an accent like loving Strong Bad
And yet you still see people complaining about Leliana's VA "not doing a French accent well" because she doesn't sound like Pepe Le Pew

e: also Zevran rules and is the best at trolling other companions

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When I first played DAO and recruited Zevran, I talked to him forever and ever. Just an incredibly charismatic character.

I had enough spoilers to know to recruit him. I wonder how many people just killed him without knowing he was a potential companion. You can actually miss out on a lot of party members in DAO, it's weird.

You can kill Dog
You can leave Sten in the cage (which means he dies when the Darkspawn attack Lothering I assume?)
You can not go into the tavern with Leliana
You can kill Wynne at the Tower
You can kill Zevran after the fight
You can also tell Morrigan to take a hike.

Alistair is my only friend.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, Oghren exists.... God he's the worst companion in DAO by leaps and bounds, just utterly forgettable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can also quite memorably behead Leliana by defiling the Sacred Ashes, which she apparently recovers from in time for Inquisition.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh yeah, Oghren exists.... God he's the worst companion in DAO by leaps and bounds, just utterly forgettable.

He even manages to be forgettable in Awakening which didn't exactly have the best cast of characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

You can also quite memorably behead Leliana by defiling the Sacred Ashes, which she apparently recovers from in time for Inquisition.

Trespasser actually gives an in-setting explanation for what happened: she didn't recover and the Leliana everyone's been interacting with since wasn't actually her. It was some weird lyrium-spawned ghost, just like the phantoms encountered in the Gauntlet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It’s pretty significant that drat near every previous party member gets mentions and cameos EXCEPT for Oghren, who exits the narrative entirely after Awakening

I guess Velanna and Sigrun too but they were just expansion characters. most of the original cast have significant roles (Alistair, Leliana, Morrigan, Sten) or are mentioned in some capacity through DA2/I (Zevran, Wynne, Shale, your dog) but not Oghren. I think a portrait of his concept art hangs in the Hanged Man in DA2 but that’s it

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I always liked Sigrun, definitely my favourite Awakenings party member.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

IMO Oghren is the least interesting companion in the entire series, followed shortly by Sebastian.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
No disagreement but BioWare being who they are I found it surprising that they didn’t stick him in a war table mission in DAI. He basically ceases to exist after awakening

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stroop There It Is posted:

And yet you still see people complaining about Leliana's VA "not doing a French accent well" because she doesn't sound like Pepe Le Pew

e: also Zevran rules and is the best at trolling other companions
See also: Yvonne Strahovski and Robyn Addison (Miranda and Sera respectively) for doing bad Australian and British accents.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubponticatePoster posted:

See also: Yvonne Strahovski and Robyn Addison (Miranda and Sera respectively) for doing bad Australian and British accents.

It cracked me up when Addison said in an interview that of all the acting roles she's done, Sera is the closest to her own native accent. It's just a very specific regional accent in Britain that has virtually no global awareness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember trying to give him a chance in one playthrough, use him a lot and all and there just wasn't much to it other than 'drunk dwarf' and 'sexual harasser.' And naturally attempting to take that over to Awakenings his personal story didn't proc because Awakenings is really buggy even today.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I remember trying to give him a chance in one playthrough, use him a lot and all and there just wasn't much to it other than 'drunk dwarf' and 'sexual harasser.' And naturally attempting to take that over to Awakenings his personal story didn't proc because Awakenings is really buggy even today.

one of Sigrun's quests straight-up never shows up if you talk to, like, the third person you see the first time you enter Amaranthine

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
God, the bugs. I got screwed out of Leliana's personal quest, and had to redo the Zathrian fight because it bugged out.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I got hit by a nasty bug in Awakening during the prison segment in the mines. My character woke up without any clothes; seemed pretty funny at the time, but I guess it actually meant that the zombie carrying the MC's stuff never spawned, which in turn meant all my equipment was permanently deleted

I decided to just roll with it and finished the expansion naked. I was so insanely overpowered that I never once died even without a single piece of equipment

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Dance Officer posted:

A S&S warrior will never be a DPS monster, but a few pointers anyway

1) 26 to DEX, rest to STR
2) Berserker/Champion
2) Use Starfang
2) Your active abilities mostly decrease your DPS. They can be useful for crowd control, but for the most part, auto attacking with Berserk is the best DPS, so spells like Haste are very useful.

You can also make a DEX build, but in that case you should be using a dagger (The Rose’s Thorn).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I appreciated Oghren a lot more as a concept when I saw someone argue that he's supposed to show how the DA world reacts to a dwarven stereotype from standard fantasy settings. He's a constantly drunk, crude, misogynistic bastard who's only good for fighting and the other dwarves despise him for it. He's still pretty insufferable by today's standards of humor but I do at least see what they were possibly going for with him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Smol posted:

A S&S warrior will never be a DPS monster, but a few pointers anyway

1) 26 to DEX, rest to STR
2) Berserker/Champion
2) Use Starfang
2) Your active abilities mostly decrease your DPS. They can be useful for crowd control, but for the most part, auto attacking with Berserk is the best DPS, so spells like Haste are very useful.

You can also make a DEX build, but in that case you should be using a dagger (The Rose’s Thorn).

Really I found the sword/shield actives do a lot of dps once you get the masteries, especially the 4 hit one. Also I'd still say Templar just because nuke mage at level 16 is the best ability in game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rookersh posted:

That's kind of the point.

Arl Eamon is Cailan's uncle. Cailan's other uncle probably just told him the Gray Wardens betrayed and killed his nephew. You know, the man he's fought with for years, and likely views as a hero figure.

Now of course that's not what happened and instead Loghain went for the poison trick and Eamon wasn't on great terms with Loghain it seems. But you as the player character don't know that. You are just being told this man who is likely very close to Loghain and would be super attached to the lie will probably help you cause "he's a good man" ( who may be dead/dying and replaced by a not good man, no big deal ).

Also while Alistair knows him, he doesn't give a great defense of him in Lothering. It's not till you actually get to Redcliffe ( or finish another zone ) does he explain why Arl Eamon will absolutely help the PC. Before that it's just "well I heard he's a good man, and I believe that." if you focus him on it.

I'm not saying Redcliffe isn't a great idea in game terms. It's an easy zone to do, and a good starter. I'm saying in terms of what info you have on hand leaving Lothering it's a real loving bad call, and basically up there with "go kill Loghain".

Yeah while I love DAO I think one of the weirdest things about it is that they make most of the nobles out to be well-meaning guys who are maybe a little out of touch

The only truly evil ones in the game are the guy who throws the city elf rape party and the dude who kills the human noble's parents, even Logain gets mostly retconned into 'honorable man led astray' if he joins your team

Considering they were cribbing hard from GoT you'd think they would've had multiple layers of backstabbing you have to deal with but you befriend nearly all of them in the end :shrug:

Like the very first time I played I assumed Alistair talking up Eamon as this great guy was supposed to be an example of his naivete but no, the only time he misjudges someone is when he tells his dirt-poor sister to gently caress off

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Dragon Age games, in general, have a pretty incoherent framing of nobility that I think derives from the game wanting to have its cake and eat it too. On the one hand, the setting really wants you to buy into a realpolitik alt-history sort of vibe where nobility is a vicious and backbiting system of oppression.

But then you actually play the games, where the writing and plot often venture more into the realm of a romantic adventure or comedy in which plenty of nobles are "good ones" with a sincere commitment to noblesse oblige. There are bad nobles too, of course, but the focus is on individual character rather than larger systems.

Edit: it's the Bright/Crash problem, only not quite as egregious as either of those two.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 23, 2020

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Eimi posted:

Really I found the sword/shield actives do a lot of dps once you get the masteries, especially the 4 hit one. Also I'd still say Templar just because nuke mage at level 16 is the best ability in game.

I'd say the Mage spell Mana Clash is better. Instantly erases non-boss mages, and takes at least half the health of the boss-tier.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The Dragon Age games, in general, have a pretty incoherent framing of nobility that I think derives from the game wanting to have its cake and eat it too. On the one hand, the setting really wants you to buy into a realpolitik alt-history sort of vibe where nobility is a vicious and backbiting system of oppression.

But then you actually play the games, where the writing and plot often venture more into the realm of a romantic adventure or comedy in which plenty of nobles are "good ones" with a sincere commitment to noblesse oblige. There are bad nobles too, of course, but the focus is on individual character rather than larger systems.

Edit: it's the Bright/Crash problem, only not quite as egregious as either of those two.

It because they wrote the entire idea of nobility in such wildly different ways depending on which chapter of the history book they were looking at. What they wanted was basically Not-Europe and ended up just smashing together as many stereotypes of nobility/royalty cultures they found.

Orlais: Louis XIV style imperial rule, L' etat c'est moi but also the major religious center like the pope/Vatican (big problem on its own) and massive massive amounts of ~courtly intrigue~
Fereldan: English with random flavors of Scottish/Irish/Welsh whatever they just lumped together, supposedly a former occupied territory but now some major player a few decades on with some sort of pseudo- House of Lords able to take the reigns
Tevinter: Bynaztine Empire but also theocratic slave state that Rome would look at and go "drat wtf is wrong with you"
Antiva: Not-Spain I think? Kind of existed solely for a whole Assassin's Guild lore in DA:O
Qunari: They can say whatever they want now but originally it was a very weird Ottoman/Islamic crusader metaphor that had some gross implications

It was kind of reflected in the "woman can be knights too" they felt the need to explain with some nonsense story about a hidden knight who was then martyred in front of a crowd for revealing her gender and since then everywhere women are allowed to be knights/warriors. It was a pressing need to explain what made their setting so unique and special rather then just setting something as the default in context and not bothering to justify it to the player.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that's the brand of bad/lazy fantasy writing where the author import various parts of history but doesn't bother to integrate them into the context of their setting. A problem made all the worse by Dragon Age having a slew of different writers with pretty lax editorial control.

Which... is fine, really. The Dragon Age games can be pulpy shlock, and I don't think many people pretend they're more than that. So long as there are cool monsters to fight and cute elf boys to date most everyone is happy and doesn't give a gently caress whether the lore or world building is consistent.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I think the thing in DAO specifically is that Fereldan is not really going to be the place to produce political intrigue via the nobility. The revolution was very recent, so all the nobles are former soldiers and generals that basically just got into power.

Unlike in GoT the big otherworldly evil is right in their laps, so there wasn't as much room for backstabbing

Both Orlais and Orzammar do a much better job at capturing that type of nobility - and the corruption and betrayal we associate with them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ehhhh, they were still nobility, they were just nobility of a country that was under occupation. Some of them were deposed, others weren't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pattonesque posted:

one of Sigrun's quests straight-up never shows up if you talk to, like, the third person you see the first time you enter Amaranthine

There's also Velanna's quest which only jumps off randomly at a certain point while you're traveling from location to location and it very easily will just... never... come.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'll ask here cause people probably know the answer to it, and googling leads to a lot of "solved it" but no answers.

I want to do the US into Awakening bug where you load in as your Warden, then use the console to go to character creator and remake as a Orlesian. This allows you to transfer your choices over, while also being a new Warden. All the major characters who shouldn't be there have lines recognizing it so it works.

- I know you need to use a mod to change your character appearance after this. If I change genders/races will Awakening characters see my new flags or old Warden flags. Going to go from a femElf to a mHuman.

- If I transfer to DA2, apparently it bugs out and sees your og Warden as nonUS and the Warden who did Awakening. I'm pretty sure I'll just export/import my US save into DA2 rather then my "buggy" Awakening save. Is that possible with a US save and what would I be missing by not having Awakening data on the save. I assume it just loads a default world state for Awakening, kinda curious what that is, since I usually go with Architect/City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rookersh posted:

So I'll ask here cause people probably know the answer to it, and googling leads to a lot of "solved it" but no answers.

I want to do the US into Awakening bug where you load in as your Warden, then use the console to go to character creator and remake as a Orlesian. This allows you to transfer your choices over, while also being a new Warden. All the major characters who shouldn't be there have lines recognizing it so it works.

- I know you need to use a mod to change your character appearance after this. If I change genders/races will Awakening characters see my new flags or old Warden flags. Going to go from a femElf to a mHuman.

- If I transfer to DA2, apparently it bugs out and sees your og Warden as nonUS and the Warden who did Awakening. I'm pretty sure I'll just export/import my US save into DA2 rather then my "buggy" Awakening save. Is that possible with a US save and what would I be missing by not having Awakening data on the save. I assume it just loads a default world state for Awakening, kinda curious what that is, since I usually go with Architect/City.

What's US?

Have you played DA2 before? There's not really any plot connection to awakening beyond Anders. I don't think you'll miss anything by not using the Awakening save.