Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone's interested.. an article that tells you how to install homebrew on your ARM Mac..

https://andrewbarber.medium.com/how-to-install-homebrew-on-your-arm-based-mac-3660eb5f0b38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

If anyone's interested.. an article that tells you how to install homebrew on your ARM Mac..

https://andrewbarber.medium.com/how-to-install-homebrew-on-your-arm-based-mac-3660eb5f0b38

Thanks. I did a migration and the few brew programs I had on the previous laptop (mostly htop and mosh) work fine but when I try to run brew upgrade or install anything it yells at me

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

There are exceptions. Apple's own apps (and third party apps written to Apple's guidelines) try to minimize activity whenever there's no user-visible (or user-audible) effects. So, if you have a Safari window open with a bunch of tabs, all the tabs that aren't the selected tab have substantial restrictions on how much javascript etc. they're allowed to run. If the entire window's obscured, whether because you've hidden the app, other windows are in front of it, or it's in a different space, same deal.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" base model running Big Sur. In order to squeeze as many frames as possible out of games, I am in the habit of quitting all open apps — pretty much all Apple apps (Calendar, Mail, Safari, Messages) with only two third-party apps (1Password & Things). Is what I'm doing unnecessary?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

terre packet posted:

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" base model running Big Sur. In order to squeeze as many frames as possible out of games, I am in the habit of quitting all open apps — pretty much all Apple apps (Calendar, Mail, Safari, Messages) with only two third-party apps (1Password & Things). Is what I'm doing unnecessary?

I wouldn't expect Calendar, Mail, or Messages to ever matter.

On an 8GB computer like yours, Safari with a lot of open windows/tabs could use enough memory to make things uncomfortable for a game that needs lots of RAM, so it might make a difference even if Safari is successfully preventing itself from using lots of CPU.

A lot depends on the game, too. What games are you doing this for?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Thanks. I did a migration and the few brew programs I had on the previous laptop (mostly htop and mosh) work fine but when I try to run brew upgrade or install anything it yells at me

Didja at least install Command Line Tools v.12.2 from the Apple Developer site?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Didja at least install Command Line Tools v.12.2 from the Apple Developer site?

yeah, turns out I just have to prefix the brew upgrade/install commands with "arch -x86_64" to get them to work

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cant you just create a second shortcut to terminal and go to properties and set it to open with Rosetta? Everything inside that will run in x86

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I wouldn't expect Calendar, Mail, or Messages to ever matter.

On an 8GB computer like yours, Safari with a lot of open windows/tabs could use enough memory to make things uncomfortable for a game that needs lots of RAM, so it might make a difference even if Safari is successfully preventing itself from using lots of CPU.

A lot depends on the game, too. What games are you doing this for?

Hollow Knight (GOG version), which does drop frames unless I turn graphics settings down. I usually play 2D indie stuff with some emulation mixed in (RetroArch PSX with CRT shaders at the most CPU/GPU intensive).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Most 2D indie games shouldn't care about CPU use much, try just leaving poo poo open and see IMO.

Emulation can easily be harder on the CPU than a native 2d platformer, btw.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BobHoward posted:

Most 2D indie games shouldn't care about CPU use much, try just leaving poo poo open and see IMO.

I've found emulation to be the strongest test of a computer's CPU and GPU that exists. Not only do you emulate an entire architecture, but you do so in ways that are often counter to the host's preferred ways of doing things.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know wine isn't technically an emulator

Wasn't the whole joke of the "Wine Is Not an Emulator" name that it is an emulator. It's even more ironically funny now that it's running x86 on an ARM Mac. Like definitely that's an emulator.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Wasn't the whole joke of the "Wine Is Not an Emulator" name that it is an emulator. It's even more ironically funny now that it's running x86 on an ARM Mac. Like definitely that's an emulator.

what a hilarious joke!

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
You're telling me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Um, I just restored to a different Mac and literally all of my passwords are gone from iCloud Keychain. Guess I'm going back to 1Password!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Did you wait until they synced? iCloud Keychain takes a bit longer than other iCloud things to initially sync, also depending on a few verification things it may not be enabled by default, was it checked iCloud settings?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shouldn't it be part of my Time Machine restore regardless of whether or not it's in iCloud?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I believe that when you're using iCloud Keychain, passwords are saved in a virtual cloud-based keychain and are not a part of the local keychain in the same way iCloud Drive files or iCloud Photos might be on the local filesystem and backed up.

Only certs and other hardware UUID-specific things are on the local keychain that gets backed up via Time Machine. The only way to back up the iCloud Keychain with Time Machine is to disable iCloud Keychain. This causes macOS to snapshot + copy the iCloud keychain to the local keychain and Time Machine will back up the local keychain entirely, passwords and all.

E: If your iCloud Keychain is still completely bonked, I believe you can talk to Apple Support and they may be able to restore an older version of the iCloud keychain from their end.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 24, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a way to set it so touching the keyboard and mouse doesn’t wake my Mac when it’s sleeping? I’m on Catalina still.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Originally, as I understand, Wine wasn't an emulator; just a set of alternate library functions - because the code had ASM for the same processor architecture (x86), but used different library functions, it acted as a compatibility layer to the OS.

Now it's acting as a compatibility layer to macOS's x86 emulator, soooooooo...?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmmm, interesting that installing Big Sur will force your rMBP's BootROM to be updated yet again, presumably with things like modified drive icons and Intel microcode bugfixes for CPUs against Spectre and Meltdown embedded inside.

Think Rossmann has a video somewhere devoted to how Apple causes Macs to blow up by using lovely flash memory to hold the BootROM and that by constantly updating the firmware (he would call it BIOS) it ruins the flash chips, bricking the Macs since the BootROM is needed for booting..

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Is there a way to make the touchbar only use the program specific options in select apps?

also the touchbar loving sucks

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Get BetterTouchTool.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oof - digital artists will want to hold off on upgrading to an M1 mac- digitizer tablets aren't working with them (Wacom or Huion) and drivers have no definite release time before next year apparenlty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, what magic do I need to perform to get my Big Sur MBP to unlock with my Apple Watch? I’ve tried turning it on and off, toggling Bluetooth, rebooting everything, surgery on my keychain, and it still tells me it can’t connect to my watch.

Also, when I try to turn off iCloud Keychain it prompts me with a warning then briefly clears the checkbox before checking it again on me all of its own accord.

Am I dying?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oof - digital artists will want to hold off on upgrading to an M1 mac- digitizer tablets aren't working with them (Wacom or Huion) and drivers have no definite release time before next year apparenlty.

Yeah a couple people I work with have been bitten by this. I have a 16” Huion pro as does a buddy and he can’t get his to work on his M1 13”. He’s still got his iMac but says he’s tried a bunch of stuff and it just don’t work. I’m sure it’ll get sorted by the time the next Pro rev of AS happens though.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

OK, what magic do I need to perform to get my Big Sur MBP to unlock with my Apple Watch? I’ve tried turning it on and off, toggling Bluetooth, rebooting everything, surgery on my keychain, and it still tells me it can’t connect to my watch.

Also, when I try to turn off iCloud Keychain it prompts me with a warning then briefly clears the checkbox before checking it again on me all of its own accord.

Am I dying?

Is your watch on the latest OS version? There was an update very recently that fixed this exact issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lignicolos posted:

Is your watch on the latest OS version? There was an update very recently that fixed this exact issue.

It claims it’s up-to-date and running 7.1. I’ve only had it for a few days, so that’s the only version it’s ever run AFAIK.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone else having finder open a new window every time you click the finder icon in Big Sur? Didn't realize it was doing this until I noticed that it had like a dozen windows open.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Transmission 3.0 and Big Sur 11.0(.1) don't seem to play well together and I'm not entirely sure why. Suddenly it was refusing to connect to more than a handful of peers, even with port forwarding, even when using a VPN, with or without μTP enabled. I uninstalled it and reinstalled Transmission 2.94 and everything works fine.

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone else having finder open a new window every time you click the finder icon in Big Sur? Didn't realize it was doing this until I noticed that it had like a dozen windows open.
YES THIS IS SO ANNOYING.
I click the Finder icon to zoom back to the last open Finder window, not to open a new one!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RIP Mac supremacy. Hot keys don’t even work anymore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

"2D" might be simplifying things a bit with modern games/engines. Like they mentioned Hollow Knight, which was made with Unity and looks this behind the scenes:

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The joke is that the name is a recursive acronym. And Rosetta is doing the emulating :eng101:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Time to buy some iPads and Pencils.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Arson Daily posted:

My Twitter Account posted:

YES THIS IS SO ANNOYING.
I click the Finder icon to zoom back to the last open Finder window, not to open a new one!

Not doing it here. Behaves as it always has since 10.0 (only opens a new window if there's no other windows open). Any third-party utilities in play or other commonalities?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have a problem with the balance of music playing on their Mac, and for me, also their iPhone? For me, this has been a problem before Big Sur, but I only found out that it was happening recently in this case.

I'm playing a song that has the back and forth between the left and right speakers. (In this case, Tarantula by Smashing Pumpkins, about 1:30 in where the guitar solo moves from speaker to speaker.) The guitar solo playing from the right speaker is much louder/clearer than when it moves to the left speaker. I've had this happen in my car, but it has a blown speaker in the door there, so I thought it was just that. However, I noticed it was doing that from iTunes last night. I opened up the mp3 in Audacity, and found it is playing properly from that program however. I don't have an equalizer set for that song, or in iTunes in general. The balance is set properly in the System Preferences, which makes sense considering Audacity has no problem playing it properly.

Anyone else notice this? Or know how to fix it?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
It sounds much more likely, in that case, that its your file, assuming same-source but ymmv.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

It's really interesting that basically all statistics applications are not able to run natively on ARM due to a lack of FORTRAN support, even modern ones like Julia. Seems like these things have been built on really shaky foundations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

It sounds much more likely, in that case, that its your file, assuming same-source but ymmv.

Yeah, but the same file sounds the way it should in Audacity. It's just Music and my iPhone's Music where it downs out the left speaker.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I have a 2013 Mac Air, updated to Big Sur. Both before and after, iCloud photos will not sync. I go to iCloud in the main settings, select photos, it gives a think circle and then just nothing. remains unchecked.

is this a known issue, or any work around ?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ziploc posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/jwbfgh/no_option_to_unenroll_from_beta_but_still/

I tried the commands in that post. But only after installing the new beta version. Maybe it will work for you.

Good tip, thank you. It now lists an available update for Big Sur 11.0.1, which... I am already running. So that's weird, we'll see what it does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

Good tip, thank you. It now lists an available update for Big Sur 11.0.1, which... I am already running. So that's weird, we'll see what it does.

It's possible that the beta stream 11.0.1 and the release stream 11.0.1 have different internal identifiers, and the release stream version compares higher. I don't know a ton about how Apple manages its build and delivery, but I've worked with a number of systems that have that property and I think it's relatively common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, there's a lot of things I'm really liking about how macOS handles multiple workspaces. I can have one desktop that is setup for leisure and one for work and I can even set up applications so that they are mirrored on both desktops. For instance, I could have my email app set to be open on both desktops so that even if I minimize one I can easily bring it back and it will retain the same state on both desktops. Then it's an easy swipe of three fingers to go between work mode and play mode.

I barely ever use the multiple workspaces in Windows because it was kind of sluggish to move between them and it didn't have elegant ways to get them set up exactly how you want them.