Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I really, really hate quests that expect you to get all the base ingredients so you can "check in" before you actually craft any of them. Thankfully JEI makes it pretty easy to just cheat some back in and throw them back out, but what a pain that if you're making a machine whose components and parts take a total of 200 copper ingots, it wants you to put all those ingots in your inventory at once, before you do anything else.

this one in particular is Insanely Dumb because you only need a fraction of that amount in clay - the bits you make bricks with.

the rest you need to turn into clay dust, and it is at this point that you have macerators and can easily, quickly and cheaply grind down the hardened clay that spawns in the world in vast amounts. not only does it want you to get the whole amount of resources first before engaging in a very lengthy processing cycle, it's asking for the wrong resources!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And even if that was the only way to get clay dust, you'd surely want to have your macerators running as soon as possible in order to get it processed while you're crafting other things.
This is why quests should only ever ask for the final product.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Personally I just use the command to auto complete a quest if I completed it in a different way. Sometimes I make machines even before the quest to make them pop up and I don't want to do it again after all.

Also I'm starting to work on the forestry quests, and apparently I now need to make a second power base since forestry machines use RF. Which in a normal pack I'm happy with, but now that everything is based in EU it becomes annoying.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RaspberryCommie posted:

Personally I just use the command to auto complete a quest if I completed it in a different way. Sometimes I make machines even before the quest to make them pop up and I don't want to do it again after all.

Also I'm starting to work on the forestry quests, and apparently I now need to make a second power base since forestry machines use RF. Which in a normal pack I'm happy with, but now that everything is based in EU it becomes annoying.

I'm pretty sure the forestry machines plug into eu just fine, there's an automatic conversion. Same with enderIO machines. Try that before you go making a sterling engine or whatever.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Oh really? The quest book made a point to say that the machines run off of RF so I assumed it meant that wouldn't work.

Good to know.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I remember the questbook being a little lighter and less strict about resource turnins. Looks like it changed for the worse, though I guess now it's a good tutorial...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Oh really? The quest book made a point to say that the machines run off of RF so I assumed it meant that wouldn't work.

Good to know.

Forge in 1.12.2 standardized power by adding an API that most mods now hook into instead of needing dedicated converters and the like so there's rarely incompatible ones anymore.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Sure but GTNH is 1.7

That said, I've got a high pressure railcraft boiler set up. About how many GT steam turbines will that feed? I've just got a second one, but since I'm working towards an EBF I'll probably need more.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 25, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i know at least the carpenter and thermionic fabricator take eu straight from gt cables in gtnh, dont worry about it. that said, the forestry stuff is kind of it's own thing that is hardly required outside of its own mod. i still made those two machines at least because the forestry tree farms are amazing and require near zero upkeep, highly recommend.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RaspberryCommie posted:

Sure but GTNH is 1.7

That said, I've got a high pressure railcraft boiler set up. About how many GT steam turbines will that feed? I've just got a second one, but since I'm working towards an EBF I'll probably need more.

Depends on the size of the boiler. Each hp boiler gives 20 steam/tick, I believe. An LV steam turbine consumes ~75.2 steam per tick. A 2x2 hp boiler can feed just over 2 turbines? Probably?

I like to make a huge fuckodf railcraft tank to function as a steam "battery". A 5x5x5 holds something like a million steam. The tank parts are super cheap and easy to make once you have an assembling machine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there anything that can generally check if an item has an enchantment on it? I'm trying to get more clever with my mob farming and split off the enchanted junk that rolls in. I'm mostly just throwing it out, but the enchantment generator will at least eat them for some power. I don't think I can just sort by, like, all types of bows because they're not all enchanted.

Thinking ahead, is there anything to fix together various gold armor pieces that roll in with this? I'd like to then melt them down to their ingots, but I don't think I can do them if they're damaged. I actually haven't tried it in 1.12.2 so I have a little homework to do here. I know this was a no-go in previous versions because I really wished I had it for Blightfall, for example.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there anything that can generally check if an item has an enchantment on it? I'm trying to get more clever with my mob farming and split off the enchanted junk that rolls in. I'm mostly just throwing it out, but the enchantment generator will at least eat them for some power. I don't think I can just sort by, like, all types of bows because they're not all enchanted.

Thinking ahead, is there anything to fix together various gold armor pieces that roll in with this? I'd like to then melt them down to their ingots, but I don't think I can do them if they're damaged. I actually haven't tried it in 1.12.2 so I have a little homework to do here. I know this was a no-go in previous versions because I really wished I had it for Blightfall, for example.

It depends on what mods you have; some item transport mods are able to check NBT data for enchants.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Would NBT end up checking durability too?

Edit: Yes, it does so it only works on that exact item or one that coincidentally had the same enchantment and material.

The good news is that I think I'm now one of the five warlocks that can use Integrated Dynamics. I managed to read a mini chest to see if the item is enchanted or not. If it's enchanted, it will signal a servo to move it out one way. If it's not enchanted, it will signal a servo on the other side to move it the other way.

I think I'd rather have used OpenComputers because I can better explain in some code what's going on. I can see Integrated Dynamics logic getting out of control extremely quickly.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 27, 2020

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So, seeing the notification on the twitch launcher about them letting overwolf handle modding stuff made me and my group switch over to the ftb one, to try and keep playing on our ftb academy server. Only now it turns out the ftb also switched to using overwolf today. I remember hearing they do some shady data collecting and such (and I am not a big fan of programs and companies that do that poo poo) so I've been trying to avoid them, is there any way to both keep playing on the modpack and not deal with that poo poo or are we basically screwed?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You could load the pack up in literally anything else that handles modpacks, but you may not be able to update it.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!
Would GD Launcher be a good alternative to or does that just front-end for Curse with the same problems in a new interface?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GDlauncher works fine currently. I just installed (whatever the last version was before they moved it to the FTB Launcher) FTB Academy to test it.

What you can do is install FTB Academy through GDLauncher, then copy the contents of what you were using before into the folder GDLauncher made for it, which you can see by right clicking on the pack in the launcher and clicking Open Folder.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 27, 2020

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

Would GD Launcher be a good alternative to or does that just front-end for Curse with the same problems in a new interface?

Currently GDLauncher pulls from curse, but doesn’t force you to otherwise deal with overwolf. Time will tell if overwolf will leave the current api alone or do changes to force ads or just remove it.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone! Gonna be annoying having to deal with Yet Another Launcher (maybe they should compile them all into one Ur-Launcher that you can select whichever you need from :v:) but at least this way we can go back to playing on our server without ads or whatever bullshit. Which I had no idea was even a thing, why the gently caress would anyone think putting adds into a game like this is any sensible idea?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Greader posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! Gonna be annoying having to deal with Yet Another Launcher (maybe they should compile them all into one Ur-Launcher that you can select whichever you need from :v:) but at least this way we can go back to playing on our server without ads or whatever bullshit. Which I had no idea was even a thing, why the gently caress would anyone think putting adds into a game like this is any sensible idea?

Number must go up.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My friends and I are potentially looking into setting up a private Minecraft server with some mods (probably FTB Revelations as that's the most recent kitchen sink pack I've played). What's the best way to go about this? Is there some goon-run or goon-approved hosting options available?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I use roxservers.com for a couple of small servers, one modded and one not. If you limit it by number of concurrent users then it's very cheap and they're very mod friendly. They'll even install the modpack for you if you ask nicely but it's easy enough to just use FTP.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I use Shockbyte and am pretty happy with them.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I've had one with extravm for a while and haven't had any issues. I found a coupon code online when I ordered so I have a recurring 20% off. A lot of them have these, worth looking before you get one to save a couple bucks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm glad the Overwolf conversation came up because I thought it had been hashed already but I couldn't remember what the conclusion was. I'm guessing there isn't one ... yet. I was figuring MultiMC was going to be the fallback.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
MultiMC or GDLauncher.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
MMC is my preferred with its interface and swapping over packs from twitch to it is simple.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I gave GT:NH another shot, and it looks like they mostly fixed the NEI thing I was complaining about earlier, so that's nice.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

for quests that seems fucky, use the command "/bq_admin edit" and you can go into the quest book and manually complete stuff. the quest book is definitely better than it was, but i've used it a few times for stuff like the clay for the bbf. or when i build a machine out of order, that happens occasionally.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hooplah posted:

for quests that seems fucky, use the command "/bq_admin edit" and you can go into the quest book and manually complete stuff. the quest book is definitely better than it was, but i've used it a few times for stuff like the clay for the bbf. or when i build a machine out of order, that happens occasionally.

Or cheat yourself in the thing you're missing and then destroy it after the quest completes

Note: requires willpower

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They really reduced the energy consumption on the laser drill when it was taken over to Industrial Foregoing. I anticipated actually straining my power setup by setting one up but nothing really changed despite loading up all four sides of the base unit. It sounds like the drills ("prechargers" in MFR parlance. I know it's confusing) only consume 100 RF/t now. I think the prechargers would consume something more like 5,000 RF/t, which should have absolutely nuked me with two since my power generation was on a redstone energy fluxduct trunk supplying a maximum of 9,000 RF/t. Instead, I find my capacitor bank holding steady and absolutely no drain on my Mekanism turbine. Everything's still getting supplied from the first line of 4x4 furnace generators and a few things burning grassoline.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They really reduced the energy consumption on the laser drill when it was taken over to Industrial Foregoing. I anticipated actually straining my power setup by setting one up but nothing really changed despite loading up all four sides of the base unit. It sounds like the drills ("prechargers" in MFR parlance. I know it's confusing) only consume 100 RF/t now. I think the prechargers would consume something more like 5,000 RF/t, which should have absolutely nuked me with two since my power generation was on a redstone energy fluxduct trunk supplying a maximum of 9,000 RF/t. Instead, I find my capacitor bank holding steady and absolutely no drain on my Mekanism turbine. Everything's still getting supplied from the first line of 4x4 furnace generators and a few things burning grassoline.

Yeah, I was surprised too when playing ftb academy that the laser drill which I remember as being a huge energy sink suddenly... wasn't. One friend went full crazy and ended up making 32 drill bases and hooked them up to a a whole bunch of automated processing, basically turning the cave under his settlement into factorio-lite (well, more than usual tech modpacks do). Though I gotta admit, it is pretty nice to be able to just waltz into his storage house and not even making a dent in his supply as I "borrow" a few stacks of iron ingots :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So what do I do with all the RF now? Draconic Evolution?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Mekanism factory with full speed upgrades but no energy upgrades, an over-large AE2 system with a lot of wireless access points that all have max range upgrades...

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did something replace RF? Been a while since I've played modded minecraft. RF fall out of favor? ...or do you just have a poo poo-ton of it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yea, or rftools dimensions, environmental tech, huge ae2 system, etc.

I usually look for new and interesting ways to automate killing whithers and stuff once I have a ton of rf.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

quantum quarry!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Overwolf has arrived

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Eox posted:

Overwolf has arrived

I moved with Overwolf's Curseforge launcher, it seems basically like Twitch but more focused (since I basically play WoW and Minecraft it's great). It's basically just the same right now, but with less other stuff going on in it, and I was able to uninstall twitch.

I might try another launcher or something soon, but for now this works. Going to try some new modpacks soon and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you got stranded and wanted to change to MultiMC, then this worked for me:

1. Create a new instance of vanilla Minecraft matching your modpack's version.
2. Launch it. Laugh at how fast vanilla launched. Quit. You needed to do this to get some files.
3. Open the instance's folder.
4. Copy everything inside your Twitch modpack instance into the .minecraft folder in the MultiMC instance. You know you're doing good if it has to overwrite some stuff.
5. Select the instance in MultiMC and select to edit the instance.
6. Under "Version," on the right, click the "Install Forge" button.
7. Struggle to remember which Forge version you were using and select it.
8. Launch again and go do whatever you do while your modpack launches like cook dinner, mow the lawn, go to bed, or shitpost.