Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I followed the steps in the video and got it up and running on my Series X. Only tried a handful of SNES and Dreamcast games and it works like a charm, with save states and everything.

You still have access to Xbox live so you can even chat with your friends in party chat while you play Crazy Taxi. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How easy is it to swap back and forth between regular and developer modes?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Biodome posted:

I followed the steps in the video and got it up and running on my Series X. Only tried a handful of SNES and Dreamcast games and it works like a charm, with save states and everything.

You still have access to Xbox live so you can even chat with your friends in party chat while you play Crazy Taxi. It rules.
What guide did you follow? I activated the machine but it's saying they need to update my Xbox before it works but it never updates.

Edit I did the secret trigger bumper hack on the system menu and manually enabled it.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 24, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I hope Microsoft just feigns ignorance when they find out about this because Xbox being able to play nearly every game is awesome and hilarious. Finally get Burnout 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 again :dance:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

American McGay posted:

What guide did you follow? I activated the machine but it's saying they need to update my Xbox before it works but it never updates.

Edit I did the secret trigger bumper hack on the system menu and manually enabled it.

I got that same error and resolved it by following some steps I found on Microsoft’s help website.

How to enter developer menu:

To access the hidden menu go to Settings > System > Console Info > Press LB RB LT RT > Developer Settings > Developer Mode

That reboots it into developer mode.

Edit: just saw your edit, yep, that worked for me.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 24, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft only charging 20 bucks to play your PS1 classics at actual 60fps.

Edit: Retroarch just updated their app and it has a PS2 core in it now.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 24, 2020

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Zerot posted:

Yes, but this isn't a Smart Delivery feature. Smart Delivery means you're playing the best version possible on your hardware. Your DLC is associated with your account, so that will work across Xbox consoles with that game.

thanks for this

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Microsoft only charging 20 bucks to play your PS1 classics at actual 60fps.

Edit: Retroarch just updated their app and it has a PS2 core in it now.

Does PS1 emulation now make old games run better? I’ve never found that to be the case but most of my ps1 emulation experience is on PSP and Vita

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does PS1 emulation now make old games run better? I’ve never found that to be the case but most of my ps1 emulation experience is on PSP and Vita

You can up Rez the games and make them look better yeah.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't know what features retroarch has, it was more a burn on the fact that the playstation classic didn't run Tekken 3 correctly.

That said emulator for PS1 are ridiculous now a days, they even have some that can eliminate texture warping.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Isn't PS3 emulation pretty solid now? I miss Katamari Forever so much :(

Imagine how crazy they could go with a Katamari game on the new gen of consoles, with the low poly objects they could have absurd amounts of objects in levels and really go wild with the concept. Can't believe the last entry in the franchise was a crummy mobile game :(

Edit: Just checked and Katamari Forever has been running on the PS3 emulator for nearly a decade and people are playing it at 4K and everything nowadays :aaa: Actually surprised Sony didn't put an emulator for the console in the PS5 given how powerful it is since it could easily run everything and unlike PC devs who did this all blind with incredibly complex architecture Sony actually has the documentation for how it works. Such a wasted opportunity to have a console supporting every PS generation.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 24, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Effortless 1440p 60fps Burnout 2 in Dolphin.

Retroarch is a bit finicky to get set up nicely but the games run flawlessly from what I've seen.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Don't forget to claim your 5000 free MS rewards points in the rewards app if you spent $70 (AUD, I assume its less in USD) in the black friday sale as well

Control ultimate, FH4 expansions and Monhun Iceborne put me over the required amount

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Does the UWP Retroarch have an Atari Jaguar core, and if so, can someone test it for me? I have an Atari Jaguar worth over half the price of a Series X, and I'm punting that thing onto ebay right now if the Xbox can play Aliens Vs Predator at fullspeed with sound.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So this also works (to a lesser extent) on the Xbox One? I might keep mine around on another TV in that case.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

So this also works (to a lesser extent) on the Xbox One? I might keep mine around on another TV in that case.

It does, but performance isn't as good, obviously. I don't know if an Xbox One will handle anything past PlayStation 1 given the limits of the development mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to significant emulation quality improvement, swapping to dev mode and back again takes like 20 minutes on the one line of hardware instead of ~5 minutes on the new hardware.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barudak posted:

In addition to significant emulation quality improvement, swapping to dev mode and back again takes like 20 minutes on the one line of hardware instead of ~5 minutes on the new hardware.

Ugh. My son might not mind just keeping it in emulation mode.

Do you need to purchase the Developer app twice, one for each machine?

Zerot posted:

It ties to your account, not the machine.

Thanks. Might as well give a shot in that case.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 24, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Ugh. My son might not mind just keeping it in emulation mode.

Do you need to purchase the Developer app twice, one for each machine?

It ties to your account, not the machine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Yeah I noticed that in the walkthrough video I was following. A splash screen that appeared on my Xbox for about 2 seconds took like 45 in the vid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

I know this feels dumb but I feel like people are overlooking ~5 minute swap

Like for a system so heavy on quick resume and crazy fast SSD loading 5 minutes would feel like quite a bit. I was naively hoping I could jump out of Yakuza to play smash bros melee for a bit

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think it's actually 5 minutes. I can test it here in a sec.

e; 3 minutes 40 seconds, so while a bit less than 5 minutes you definitely won't be able to swap back and forth for a quick game on a whim.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 24, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't be me yall, thinking about buying a second one just to leave in emulation mode full time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

I don't think it's actually 5 minutes. I can test it here in a sec.

e; 3 minutes 40 seconds, so while a bit less than 5 minutes you definitely won't be able to swap back and forth for a quick game on a whim.

Not much worse than loading a AAA game last gen.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

hanyolo posted:

Don't forget to claim your 5000 free MS rewards points in the rewards app if you spent $70 (AUD, I assume its less in USD) in the black friday sale as well

Control ultimate, FH4 expansions and Monhun Iceborne put me over the required amount

It looked like purchases made prior to today didn't count for me? I spent more money, but I guess I know not to impulse buy things when they're on sale now :(

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I got another pending charge from MS this morning, not getting my hopes up about it actually shipping though.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Same. The pending charges reappearing keep hope alive but I think the Dec 23 date might be really real.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Its neat that Xbox has that dev mode and that there's an old Retroarch build that works on it. I haven't used Retroarch in years but when I did, its interface made it borderline unusable, and you always had to go fix controller mappings per core, made it not even worth it imo. Has it improved since then? I want to say this was 3 years ago, but when I say 3 years its probably more like 6 or something since my memory doesn't work right.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lewd

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

falz posted:

Its neat that Xbox has that dev mode and that there's an old Retroarch build that works on it. I haven't used Retroarch in years but when I did, its interface made it borderline unusable, and you always had to go fix controller mappings per core, made it not even worth it imo. Has it improved since then? I want to say this was 3 years ago, but when I say 3 years its probably more like 6 or something since my memory doesn't work right.

Every Dreamcast and SNES game I tried recognized the controls instantly. I never had to do any mapping. And the interface looks high Rez and reminds me of the PSP OS.

Now I gotta get a flash drive to store my RetroArch games, I thought I could use the same external I use for my Xbox games but I don’t think you can.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is there any downside to doing this, like getting my console bricked or gamer tag banned?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No it's very legit and sandboxed enough that I don't think it's possible to gently caress anything up.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why I need a new device to emulate games on considering how little I play them, but this all sounds really neat.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't recommend buying a new Xbox strictly for emulation unless you really wanna get into PS2 and PS3 games but if you already own one it's a nice side benefit.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’ve already got one and I have far too many games to play as is and I own all the old systems and games I want to play. On the other hand Toy Commander without having to dig out my Dreamcast.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Asnorban posted:

Is there any downside to doing this, like getting my console bricked or gamer tag banned?
Is Microsoft selling consoles at a loss? If so and this really really takes off (doubtful) maybe they'd do something about it.

As for not buying console just for this, well if it's super easy to use and best bang for buck, why not? Especially once they become available. Imo living room devices should look nice and be easy to use. If this is that, then perfect.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Cool that such a thing is possible. I mostly bought my next-gen console just so I don't have to play old games anymore.

That said, I'm playing 360 games on it right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

falz posted:

Is Microsoft selling consoles at a loss? If so and this really really takes off (doubtful) maybe they'd do something about it.

As for not buying console just for this, well if it's super easy to use and best bang for buck, why not? Especially once they become available. Imo living room devices should look nice and be easy to use. If this is that, then perfect.

Yeah all the new consoles are looking to be loss leaders this time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you bought a next gen console but didn't want to play old games then why the hell did you buy an Xbox lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You don't think xbox360 games are old games?

Also, I missed an entire gen. I already have 15 games installed, it's great fun. It's all new to me.