Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
In many German supermarkets you get a few types of store brand pasta, a few types of high quality bronze pasta, some dough alternatives like chickpea, lentil or insect pasta, and dozens of Barilla variants. If you want to eat specific pasta shapes Barilla is often your only choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do you not have Panzani? Together with Barilla they make up 90% of the stuff that isn't store brand. Although maybe PAnzani should be disqualified for not being :italy:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Honj Steak posted:

In many German supermarkets you get a few types of store brand pasta, a few types of high quality bronze pasta, some dough alternatives like chickpea, lentil or insect pasta, and dozens of Barilla variants. If you want to eat specific pasta shapes Barilla is often your only choice.

Huh, maybe the selection is wider for the store-brand stuff in the UK. Off the top of my head in my local tesco, the store-brand options are Spaghetti, Linguini, Tagliatele, Penne, Farfalle, Congliche, [non-elbow] Macaroni and Lasagne. Plus some tiny shells I can't remember the name of for soup and some fancy bronze-die premium shapes too. I think the barilla selection is, like, Spaghetti and Penne and that's it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

what is bronze die pasta? Google did not help.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Starks posted:

what is bronze die pasta? Google did not help.

The noodles are put through traditional bronze casts instead of Teflon or whatever, so they have a better texture and hold sauce more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like pasta

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Also don't forget that Barilla was extremely anti-LGBT for a long time. I haven't heard anything on that front for a bit but I still don't buy their spaghetti.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
You can make Fettuccini Alfredo into a non-garbage dish with a bit of tweaking. There is no saving the cheese covered doughbricks known as "lasagna".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zedhe Khoja posted:

You can make Fettuccini Alfredo into a non-garbage dish with a bit of tweaking. There is no saving the cheese covered doughbricks known as "lasagna".

How much cheese are you putting in it? Like, to me a lasagne has some parmesan in the bechamel sauce, but maybe like, 75g for an 8 serving dish?

Edit: wait, google tells me Lasagne and Lasagna are different dishes or something? Like it's two very different styles because Britain and the US got immigrants from different parts of italy. Huh.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 24, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just put a kilo of parmesan per layer

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which other foreign food-processing companies should I be mad about?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I thought Allamatriciana was a real Rome dish.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HookShot posted:

I thought Allamatriciana was a real Rome dish.

It is.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What's wrong with fettuccine alfredo? Too simple?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Negostrike posted:

Fettuccine spaghetti and penne are vulgar pasta

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spaghetti is at the sour spot of worst noodle size. Linguini and capellini are both better.

Linguini is kind of cheating because it’s a different shape, but I can’t recall the last time I had spaghettoni.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

Spaghetti is at the sour spot of worst noodle size. Linguini and capellini are both better.

Linguini is kind of cheating because it’s a different shape, but I can’t recall the last time I had spaghettoni.

Straight-up spaghetti is perfect for passatta.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Red Bull

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

pene is vulgar pasta

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Well as long as you're mad at Nestle and Unilever that should cover 90% of food.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Negostrike posted:

It's not at all an Italian dish and was invented in America, IIRC.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

It's not at all an Italian dish and was invented in America, IIRC.

It started out as an Italian dish, by a guy named alfredo, but Americans have bastardized it with cream and probably mayo to the point that most Italians no longer refer to the dish by that name.

Edit: while I’m here let me put in a vote for bucatini as the best long pasta

Starks fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 24, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Fettuccine spaghetti and penne are vulgar pasta

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Starks posted:

It started out as an Italian dish, by a guy named alfredo, but Americans have bastardized it with cream and probably mayo to the point that most Italians no longer refer to the dish by that name.

lol nobody puts mayonnaise in alfredo.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Political because the legend cites Belgium twice, is at least missing the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and has some really weird choices in colour gradients. Also, Crimea.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Also weird numbers. I only know the rough number for sweden which is about half of what the map suggests. Maybe its just lumping together people of middle eastern origin? Lots of christians from there ended up here tho.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Starks posted:

Ah cool, thanks, I didn't know that. I thought it had been straight-up invented by an immigrant.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how you thought THAT part was ridiculous, but that using cream to make alfredo wasn't.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Deltasquid posted:

Political because the legend cites Belgium twice, is at least missing the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and has some really weird choices in colour gradients. Also, Crimea.

another map where portugal is a east european country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deltasquid posted:

Also because 9-11% :911:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pasta has many zardoz and zardon'ts

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have terrible news

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HookShot posted:

Ah cool, thanks, I didn't know that. I thought it had been straight-up invented by an immigrant.

I like how you thought THAT part was ridiculous, but that using cream to make alfredo wasn't.

Low standards aren’t no standards :colbert:

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Lol at the Caucasus being "europe".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Lol at the Caucasus being "europe".

They're in UEFA

Israel is Europe.

Also Australia is Europe because Eurovision.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what about Enrique :heysexy:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

is this a dialect map or what

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

It's an easy way to double the number of adherents here in Denmark.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sebzilla posted:

Also Australia is Europe because Eurovision.

Only criterium that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS