Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also that Bonsai looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

smackfu posted:

Lego hired the guy who sold bonsai kits so not shocked:
https://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_bonsai.html

He also used to sell the Batman / Joker flat sculptures that are now official sets so Lego is getting their money worth out of that hire.
That guy's name is Chris McVeigh and I am a tremendous fan of his. I was so drat excited when he got hired. I have a few of his builds:

The two radios were purchased as kits back when he sold them, the camera was pieced together from BL, and the computer is actually one of his originals - this specific one was on display at the LEGO House in Billund. It's the centerpiece of my collection!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I built both of those radios but did my own color scheme for the vintage radio.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Didn’t he come up with the sphere building technique that was used on the big BB8 model?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

One-piling?

It comes in about 20 bags. So I just made one huge pile in a cardboard box and am now searching the parts for the instruction steps in that pile (except transparent parts, I always sort these out because they scratch easily when you rummage around in the pile).

I did the mustang and campervan that way. It takes a lot longer, but that way you get a more satisfying lego experience imho because you have to search all the parts etc.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How’s the build so far? The girlfriend is asking what I want for Christmas this year and the Ecto is on my shortlist.

I really can't say yet, all I managed yesterday was the chassis frame and front axle assembly. However it feels like the mustang, a study frame for a really big car. If the building stays as fun as the mustang was I'd say it's totally worth it. Except for the 30 rust stickers, they will stay off. And I don't get why they don't print the license plates for these expensive builds.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Heck yeah, one-piling is the way to go! Except for the UCS mil falcon, im still scarred from how long that took to build...

For me building sets from instructions is a type of, uh, meditation i guess? So i want the process to last as long as possible. I generally don’t care much for the sets once they are finished. Most of them gets sold off after a while.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Same, it's the same as cooking with a recipe for me. Relatively simple, repetitive and straight forward yet incredible zen and relaxing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Very much so. Building a set is relaxing zen time for me. I open the bags, lay out and group the pieces (knolling style) and then slowly build. My mind is only on the task in front of me and not wandering to other stuff. It’s very calming.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The one true one-piling method is opening every bag then sorting out all the pieces neatly on a table.

This is how I did my lego SSD the first time I built it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
IIIII dunno, if it's neat and tidy, it ain't one-piling.

I am getting the Colosseum on Friday and I may one-pile that. I'll let y'all know what it looks like in 2023.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Please don’t do that to yourself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Anything I build is done with my daughter and her attention span doesn't last longer than a bag or two. One-piling is out, but we do have a fun routine of looking over all the parts and trying to work out what unusual pieces we've seen before.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I one-piled Saruman's tower, for a build that's 90% one colour, I so not recommended. Think it took me about a week to build, compared to the more recent Haunted House tower they took 2-3 evenings following the bags.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I one-piled the bug (thanks Hopper!) then did the Statue of Liberty bag by bag. It was kinda funny when I got mad a lot of parts were missing and started writing them down but then realized there was another bag of that number left. Oops.

I then went back to one-piling the camper, and it’s just so much better because it really makes the end seem like a huge relief because the pile suddenly is so small and you finally find a use for all those parts you fiddled with but mistook all along.

I may one-pile & sort by size for one of my next sets, that sounds fun as hell too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

GlenMR posted:

IIIII dunno, if it's neat and tidy, it ain't one-piling.

Agreed! Knolling is NOT one-piling! :argh:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Lotta masochists ITT

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pfft, I skip every second page of the instructions.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I leave the instructions sealed in the bag and use a pdf on my pc.

Of a different set.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I just one piled the teal brick. :v:

Neat. Gotta look into how to make it a box for putting things into, it’s hollow. Right now it’s kind of a mess to open but doable.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Boy, if you love greebling, find a Nebulon-B frigate. A very fun build that looks great on display.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

Very much so. Building a set is relaxing zen time for me. I open the bags, lay out and group the pieces (knolling style) and then slowly build. My mind is only on the task in front of me and not wandering to other stuff. It’s very calming.

Same. I had a new director at work ask me what technology projects I work on in my off hours. I said none, after 8 hours last thing I want to do is spend more time in front of a screen. I like the tactile nature of lego and find it very relaxing. Guess he was used to programmers or engineers who have side projects.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

tomapot posted:

Same. I had a new director at work ask me what technology projects I work on in my off hours. I said none, after 8 hours last thing I want to do is spend more time in front of a screen. I like the tactile nature of lego and find it very relaxing. Guess he was used to programmers or engineers who have side projects.

I work on side projects, but literally no one at my work knows anything about them at all. If something shows promise of value I don't want them to have a single loving claim to anything I've created. So I tell them the same thing, I work on nothing outside of work. I tell them about my other hobbies like Lego or gardening or remodeling my house.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I knew that the Sian was big but God drat is it big.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Picked up one of them fancy new Dew-Catties.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

Y'all, we're live. Thanks again for your incessant bullying encouragement and support to make me actually refine a design and get it on Ideas. Now we just gotta make people see this thing!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/ff91bdfe-024c-49d8-a593-404883beeb3f

Supported! :awesomelon:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

I knew that the Sian was big but God drat is it big.
I've got the Bugatti on the way, looking forward to building it, then having no idea where to put it.

Also, I really wish fedex wouldn't always tease me by saying stuff is gonna arrive way sooner then it ever actually does. :v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spookydonut posted:

The one true one-piling method is opening every bag then sorting out all the pieces neatly on a table.

This is how I did my lego SSD the first time I built it.

Nth Doctor posted:

Double post but :holymoley:

I finished Bag 3 of the new White House last night. What's nice is the building uses completely different techniques than the previous one, so even having them both: it's a different experience.

The set also favors the South facade of the building, where the older set featured the North facade by default, so it's nice to have the contrast. Also the East and West wings are independent builds and can be removed (not that I would).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’m a sucker. My 5yo loves lego and Mario, so guess what he’s getting for the holidays?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m a sucker. My 5yo loves lego and Mario, so guess what he’s getting for the holidays?

You are a sucker? Hm...Mario is Italian. Therefore, you are getting the Colosseum.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Chris Knight posted:

Picked up one of them fancy new Dew-Catties.

I think you might have done the windscreen incorrectly.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My wife, best friend and I did the holiday train last night while we had Dick Tracy playing on tv. Trying to do lego with two other adults who are worse than you at following the instructions is an exercise in restraint, forcing myself to just not find pieces so everyone gets a chance to participate. It got me excited for whenever I have time to do the Millennium Falcon (not the huge one) on my own where I can focus and speed through at my own pace.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My double points weekend package arrived :dance:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

davebo posted:

My wife, best friend and I did the holiday train last night while we had Dick Tracy playing on tv. Trying to do lego with two other adults who are worse than you at following the instructions is an exercise in restraint, forcing myself to just not find pieces so everyone gets a chance to participate. It got me excited for whenever I have time to do the Millennium Falcon (not the huge one) on my own where I can focus and speed through at my own pace.
I actually find building with other people to be annoying to the point of stressful for very much the same reason. And then I feel bad, because I like doing things like that with people! Just not this one thing, where I'm fighting every fiber in my being to not just pick up and place the thing they're looking for. Luckily for me, as much as I like building LEGO, my partner much prefers destroying it. Sometimes I'll just hand them something to take apart just so I can build it again. Everyone wins!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Same for me, I sometimes build with the GF and it takes a lot of resolve to not blurt "not it goes in this way" at times.

Ecto update: 3 hours+ in and on step 72 of 608. Started working on the mechanism for the "catapult" side seat, but so many small parts you need to search... had to stop to go to bed.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Leakers are saying next modular is a police station. Supposed to announce Friday.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Scipiotik posted:

Leakers are saying next modular is a police station. Supposed to announce Friday.

It'd be sick if it was on fire and you got like 100 minifig protesters.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Scipiotik posted:

That would be so tone deaf I can't imagine ... oh wait, this year's advent calendar is cops and robbers themed, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scipiotik posted:

Lego is an international brand. In many countries police are just fine. However, they really seem to be confused about things.

I have all of the modulars but I may skip this one. If it is a police station I will definitely want to skip it. Maybe I will take that as a sign it is time to purge my collection. I think about doing it all the time. Too $$ too much space.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I shared the building of the UCS Falcon with my sisters and nephew, but rather than trying to build at the same time we either took sections in turns or had one of us acting as piece picker and the other builder. This avoided most issues while still allowing me to catch any of the mistakes my experienced but sometimes too hasty sister and nephew made. There was only once or twice when I came back to the build and there was a suspicious part left over from a bag and I had to go back through the instructions to find where to insert it.

From a purely building perspective I'd have enjoyed doing the whole thing myself a little more but from a social perspective it was some nice quality family time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'll have to see the actual building. But at the rumored 199.99 and being police it's probably a pass. I still need the bookshop anyway.