Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I agree. If they were really bad kids they'd be in juvie or prison. I always just assume it's some religious bullshit that sent them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree. If they were really bad kids they'd be in juvie or prison. I always just assume it's some religious bullshit that sent them there.

In some cases, yes. But in other cases it's worse imo because it's parents who are unwilling/incapable of dealing with normal teenager "problems" like them being rude, acting out, going to parties and drinking. The parents go "SOMETHING IS HORRIBLY WRONG WITH MY CHILD" and ship them off to these kinds of shitholes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Telsa Cola posted:

In some cases, yes. But in other cases it's worse imo because it's parents who are unwilling/incapable of dealing with normal teenager "problems" like them being rude, acting out, going to parties and drinking. The parents go "SOMETHING IS HORRIBLY WRONG WITH MY CHILD" and ship them off to these kinds of shitholes.
I used to hear ads on the radio about a book on 'how to train your unruly teenager' to 'fix' problems like backtalk and 'disobedience'. Some people view raising independent, thoughtful adults as a failure state, not the literal goal of parenting.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also corruption, kids in group/foster homes who get into trouble end up in these things for offences that aren't bad enough to land them in juvie bc the local judge and the sick gently caress who owns the place have an arrangement

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Telsa Cola posted:

I brought this up in the GBS thread about this but its somewhat easy to tell basically everyone who was sent to these were normal teens doing normal poo poo and not really "troubled" because you would have 100% had staff murdered.

eagerly awaiting the Tarantino movie about this

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The parents are often either super-religious or just incredibly lazy and don't want to have kids anymore. No normal person goes, "Oh, my teenager is acting like a teenager, better send them away for THREE YEARS." Anyone considering that poo poo doesn't deserve kids.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

or the classic daughter doesn't like step dad scenario

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I highly recommend the book Jesusland by Julia Scheeres for anyone who's interested in these camps. It's a memoir of growing up in an evangelical white family with adopted black kids (who got treated differently than the white kids), and part of that was getting sent to one of these kinds of camps along with her brother.

It's pretty grim, fair warning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really want to see an actually troubled person go to one of these places and just go ham on the people involved.

Just, it's not right and I should of course want that these people be reformed or what have you, but loving hell this is a special sort of brutal unthinking evil.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

e: posted in the wrong thread like a dipshit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ask for the sale! I mean, I guess that's worth a shot before just going full divorce.

The absolute balls on that dude. That's some next level "have your cake and eat it too."

Edit:

drat it! Now you made me look like a crazy person!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Lol here is a link to the post in its rightful thread, for anyone who is unnerved by the bizarre relationship problems that prompt people to write to advice columnists

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would absolutely love the r/relationships thread if it only moved a little bit slower. By the time people are really doubling down on stupid takes there's already been like five new posts that people are moving onto. I just think it would be a lot funnier/more entertaining if there was like a four new r/relationship posts per day limit or something so people could really get into the weeds with their stupid relationship takes no one involved will see.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would absolutely love the r/relationships thread if it only moved a little bit slower. By the time people are really doubling down on stupid takes there's already been like five new posts that people are moving onto. I just think it would be a lot funnier/more entertaining if there was like a four new r/relationship posts per day limit or something so people could really get into the weeds with their stupid relationship takes no one involved will see.

It's already just shy of a tire fire of a thread at the best of times, why do you want to add gasoline?

No, what that thread needs is to let Pick post in it again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VanSandman posted:

It's already just shy of a tire fire of a thread at the best of times, why do you want to add gasoline?

lol

How!
Oct 29, 2009

VanSandman posted:

You’re onto something here. Something...

Awful?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thing is, you never really know which one is going to summon all the bad takes so if you artificially limit the supply you might kill them altogether by trying to get ahead of it. It's the surprise of it all that makes it so fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But I'm a slow reader and a slow typist and I have so many stupid relationship takes to give.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

reading the stories is optional

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

when I was hospitalized the third time as a teenager for self-harming they were considering sending me to a treatment center for self-harm/ptsd/bpd poo poo somewhere halfway across the country, and I wish I remembered where it would've been so I could see if it was something like these horrid hosed up places

I knew plenty of people there that were way worse off than me or actually "dangerous to others", so being a shy self destructive person might've been what they were looking for

:tinfoil:

e: is there a list of places like elan school anywhere?

snoo has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Nov 20, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

hawowanlawow posted:

reading the stories is optional

It really is. I try to post stories I few really strongly about because I know my vitriolic, uninformed opinion will stimulate even more vitriolic, uninformed hot takes but it's kind of a crapshoot as to what'll set things off.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/20/remains-in-german-case-show-signs-of-cannibalism

quote:

German prosecutors say there is evidence of cannibalism in the killing of a 44-year-old man whose remains were found in Berlin this month.

A 41-year-old man was arrested at his home on Thursday on suspicion of murder with sexual motives, close to the site where the victim’s bones were found.

“The suspect had an interest in cannibalism,” Berlin prosecutors’ office spokesman Martin Steltner siad. “He searched online for the topic.”

Steltner said it was unclear whether the victim had also had an interest in cannibalism. The two men, both Germans, had been in touch with each other online, he said. Neither of their names was released, for privacy reasons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean I think that's relevant given that Germany has had consensual cannibalism killings before.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Serve him with a little spaetzle and some red cabbage sauerkraut. Yeah, I could go for a little German tonight.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder how many wills have "And my corpse goes to X to be legally hosed"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Serve him with a little spaetzle and some red cabbage sauerkraut. Yeah, I could go for a little German tonight.

Is that the German equivalent of fava beans and chianti?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Halloween Liker posted:

Wonder how many wills have "And my corpse goes to X to be legally spit-roasted and then cooked and eaten"

FTFY

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

IMHO this is rad, rather than unnerving:

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Rodkin/status/1329586938387591177
(it's a thread)

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

A nice game of Germany or Florida

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna bet on Germany.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I didn't read the article and choose to believe that veteran British Trotskyist Lindsey German ate someone

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I put this in Weird Headlines but it belongs here too.

MONOLITH

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inceltown posted:

I put this in Weird Headlines but it belongs here too.

MONOLITH

And of course they instantly go gently caress with it. Honestly.

Mind you I can't talk. I work in a pharmacy and one time, clearing out a bag of returned medications from someone who'd died, I found one of those cymbal monkeys. It still worked so I brought it home and now it haunts my bedroom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

china bot posted:

eagerly awaiting the Tarantino movie about this

I'd love to do a slasher movie about the staff of a conversion camp getting brutally murdered.

Reminded there was a Batman Beyond episode about one of those types of camps, and absolutely had tons of kids being sent there basically just for being teenagers. And yes, the one genuinely hosed up kid almost murders the camp director if not for Terry intervening. (after having had his help starting a riot) One girl refuses to forgive her parents for it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd love to do a slasher movie about the staff of a conversion camp getting brutally murdered.

Reminded there was a Batman Beyond episode about one of those types of camps, and absolutely had tons of kids being sent there basically just for being teenagers. And yes, the one genuinely hosed up kid almost murders the camp director if not for Terry intervening. (after having had his help starting a riot) One girl refuses to forgive her parents for it.
Batman Beyond was so loving good.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Woman who owned paternity and drug testing lab falsified results, causing an unknown amount of people to lose custody of their children.
https://meaww.com/brandy-murrah-alabama-drug-test-lab-owner-15-years-jail-false-results-parents-lose-custody-kids

quote:

Grace Locke told the court that she had been trying to get her life on track after her two children were taken away from her due to her drug use in 2017. After going to rehab she had a third child and hoped to reunite her family — shared, "I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest because I knew I was doing right with this one." "I don’t understand why anybody would ever do that to any family, any children, for no reason," Locke said.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sarcopenia posted:

Woman who owned paternity and drug testing lab falsified results, causing an unknown amount of people to lose custody of their children.
https://meaww.com/brandy-murrah-alabama-drug-test-lab-owner-15-years-jail-false-results-parents-lose-custody-kids

:guillotine:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That woman looks exactly how I was picturing her.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hard to believe none of those parents whose children were kidnapped for no reason ended up physically resisting their illegal abductors. You have to give me your infant, I I have paper with the word meth on it!

xtal has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xtal posted:

Hard to believe none of those parents whose children were kidnapped for no reason ended up physically resisting their illegal abductors. You have to give me your infant, I I have paper with the word meth on it!

At least from article, I imagine a lot of them were too beaten down by life and the legal system in general to put up much of a fight.

The whole thing just soured my mood for the day. I'm gonna go head over the blessed thread for a bit.