Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You make me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think, starting next week, I'll double-post videos to finish up Vertigo and get to Descent 3 faster. You all OK with that?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd prefer if you did more than one video per week, rather than double uploads, personally. So like one video on Sundays, then one on Wednesdays.

Also, I'd been wondering for a while if you could accidentally kill the hostages, and I guess this video answers that question.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Sounds like around 9:04 part of the commentary track cuts out until around 10:38. Two of you keep responding to someone who isn't audible.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

Sounds like around 9:04 part of the commentary track cuts out until around 10:38. Two of you keep responding to someone who isn't audible.

I know, and when I went back to the files I had, there was nothing there from the person who should be talking.

Just a reminder folks, Keep your raws. You'll never know when you have to go back and double check or fix things.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The curse of the missing audio track, the bane of many an audio editor.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I AM A GODDAMNED FRAKKING IDIOT.

This missing space in Mission 15 for the audio?

That's because I forgot one of the commentators

And I only found out when I went to do tomorrow's update and found that I put his L15 commentary in the L16 folder.

I'm... going to go correct that now. And upload the right video.

I am so sorry.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

berryjon posted:

I AM A GODDAMNED FRAKKING IDIOT.

This missing space in Mission 15 for the audio?

That's because I forgot one of the commentators

And I only found out when I went to do tomorrow's update and found that I put his L15 commentary in the L16 folder.

I'm... going to go correct that now. And upload the right video.

I am so sorry.

You did mention that there were 3 copilots, I thought you just misspoke, and meant 2, since I only remember hearing 2 other voices.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

stryth posted:

You did mention that there were 3 copilots, I thought you just misspoke, and meant 2, since I only remember hearing 2 other voices.
Yeah, I thought that was odd at the time but didn't really put much thought into it.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

stryth posted:

I thought it was a joke :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Now with 1010% MORE MYCROFT HOLMES! does the Kermit Wave

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think there's a desync in the commentary for Ep 16, because you cut out in the middle of the explanation of that teleport cube and what that switch did at the end.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

That's not a desync, I pick up where I left off in the Secret Level.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Interesting. The level name is from my second-favorite late 90s band: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fold_Zandura. Their music is not something that would land in a Descent game, though two of the members had originally been in an industrial band. In any case ,that's certainly not a reference I ever would have expected.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Commentary recording for Descent 3 has begun, and the light at the end of the Tunnel of Vertigo is in sight!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Vertigo will be done by the end of the month. I'm thinking about taking a break in December because I work retail warehousing, and then start D3 in January.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds good, should also help prevent burnout. Vertigo feels really long and that's just watching it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds good, should also help prevent burnout. Vertigo feels really long and that's just watching it.

30 levels for D1, 30 for D2, 23 for DV. I've already recorded... *checks* 11 out of 18 levels (I think I have the secrets counted right) for Vertigo, then Mercenary's levels then overload. I'll be pushing 120 levels by the time I'm done.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The second-to-last level is short, tight, and well designed. I love it!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 22, 2020

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The last thiefbot is dead. Hooray!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

idhrendur posted:

The last Thief Bot in this game is dead. He does come back in Descent 3.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
So long as there is evil in men's hearts, Thief Bot will always rise again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

idhrendur posted:

The galaxy is at peace (for now...)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the thiefbot really the hero, though? An agent of the oppressed workforce rising against its corporate oppressor and their dirty enforcer (no offense), fighting by non-violent means?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 26, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't the thiefbot really the hero, though? An agent of the opprressed workforce rising against its corporate oppressor and their dirty enforcer (no offense), fighting by non-violent means?

"The thiefbot fires flares which can do 1 damage making it an undeniably hostile act." says the PTMC mercenary packing enough weaponry and heavy armor to take on entire planets.

:cop:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

"The thiefbot fires flares which can do 1 damage making it an undeniably hostile act." says the PTMC mercenary packing enough weaponry and heavy armor to take on entire planets.

:cop:

Your (current) Avatar belies your biases!

But yeah, the Thiefbot is gone, but not forgotten. When we get to him in D3, I'll talk about how he's changed.

Fur et armis sit destrui

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

berryjon posted:

The last Thief Bot in this game is dead. He does come back in Descent 3.

… I guess it's a good thing I never got D3 fully working.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

idhrendur posted:

… I guess it's a good thing I never got D3 fully working.

The thief bot isn't omnipresent in Descent 3 and if I remember correctly it only appears in one level.

In another general note for Descent 3: The developers included sort of easter egg like death sequences for most (or all?) robots that are triggered if you kill them with specific weapons or methods. Of course I can't find proof of it but I'm sure one of the devs confirmed this on a long gone forum. The only one I remember is Descent 3's version of the energy hornet melee robot will rear end in a top hat physics itself to death if you kill it with the mass driver and it's really funny to watch.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

The thief bot isn't omnipresent in Descent 3 and if I remember correctly it only appears in one level.

Not quite. I've seen the Thief Bot in three levels so far, having played up to level 11.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thank you all for sticking with me, and I'll see you in the New Year for Descent 3: Retribution!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey guys! Welcome to 2021, and let's get it started with the game that came out in 1999, and would totally put Outrage Entertainment on the map! After all, how could you possibly go wrong with Descent?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just hold on, it'll all be worth it once we hit Overload.

I only played a demo version of this game and don't remember it particularly fondly; you know you're in for a low effort game when it doesn't start with robot info.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2021

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I can't believe poor Blue Jumpsuit Man was killed by a slow progress bar.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Much earlier in this thread, I was inspired to try Overload. I remember loading it up, setting the keyboard controls to what I half-remembered liking in Descent 2 in the 90s, and it just felt right. All the muscle memory was back and I had a blast.

Later in this thread, I was inspired to try Descent 3. With some help I got it working, but without sound. I put in the controls I remembered, but it just felt ungainly and wrong. I assumed I was misremembering my preferred mappings. But watching you play this, I see the same struggle I had. Something about the motion is different and it all feels wrong.

Also, the level is more confusing and the map is more unreadable. It's peak late 90s - try to make it more modern and by doing so make everything so much worse. I'm glad I didn't continue trying to sink time into this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Just hold on, it'll all be worth it once we hit Overload.

I only played a demo version of this game and don't remember it particularly fondly; you know you're in for a low effort game when it doesn't start with robot info.

Weirdly enough I vaguely remember the demo version having a robot info splash screen if nothing else, wonder if we played the same demo (mine was of a level that I'm 99% sure isn't in the actual game and involved a crashed UFO)

"Don't worry, you're fine, just a little too much radiation" oh is that all :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 3, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I wonder whether there was another last minute change in this? Like, the ship that picks you up seems very golden and clockworky, like it was originally meant to be alien. For a minute there I thought we were about to be picked up by the bargain bin protoss. Man the cutscenes are corny, though. And so verbose! It's the opposite of the "show, don't tell" style that half-life pulled off so well.

On the subject of explosions and damage radii, it looks like you took damage at one point by a piece of shrapnel from an exploding barrel hitting you - very impressive if that was the case.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

berryjon posted:

Not quite. I've seen the Thief Bot in three levels so far, having played up to level 11.

Ah, I misremembered. I was thinking about the boss thief bot which shows up at some point. I think, anyways. It's been quite a while.

Those creepy janky porcelain character models in the FMV are really something :wtc: It's really a step backwards from the Descent 2 FMVs in every way.

I don't remember the music from this game very well but for those who like it Jerry Berlongieri is the composer and he has some stuff on Spotify. Dan Wentz did the music for Descent 1, the Descent 2 MIDI set, Freespace 1/2, and the Red Faction games and he's out on Spotify too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Angry_Ed posted:

Weirdly enough I vaguely remember the demo version having a robot info splash screen if nothing else, wonder if we played the same demo (mine was of a level that I'm 99% sure isn't in the actual game and involved a crashed UFO)

I played the same demo and it had a splash screen but didn't give info on robots. It was a demo of a very early version of D3, I think - back when Freespace 1 was going to be Descent Freespace, and the big deal the demo was showing off was Descent with outdoor areas gosh. Might have been a vertical slice that was turned into a demo and released to gather hype.

It was interesting on one point - it depicted a mine in the process of being taken over, with tannoy announcements and evacuating miners. I remember thinking it was nice to see the PTMC's mining crews being competent.