Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Edit: nevermind. Removed venting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well now I'm curious if you were ranting about my post. :P

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

kedo posted:

Well now I'm curious if you were ranting about my post. :P
Nah, completely unrelated.

I'll leave the summation at: successful resolution of urgent issues requires a structured balance between time spent evaluating next steps as a group and allowing engineers dedicated time to focus independently on specific assigned action items. Without that structure, it is difficult to make any headway, prolonged discussions will degenerate into tail-chasing, and engineers will make silly mistakes that just add to the overall stress levels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, "we need all the things perfect and also right now" is not a project management strategy, it's a wish that you give a genie.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hi thread I'm attempting to learn web dev on the side in my free time and maybe transition into it as a career some time down the line, is this thread open to questions about that sort of thing? if it is right now my biggest worry is that the material I'm learning from the udemy course I'm doing is out of date and won't actually help me get a job when I'm done getting through it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Which udemy course?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Hi thread I'm attempting to learn web dev on the side in my free time and maybe transition into it as a career some time down the line, is this thread open to questions about that sort of thing? if it is right now my biggest worry is that the material I'm learning from the udemy course I'm doing is out of date and won't actually help me get a job when I'm done getting through it.

Fundamentals are always helpful so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's like, an Ember course or something. Once you learn how things work you can pick up new things a lot faster. Sometimes the specific framework you're using goes out of style but the fundamentals are almost always useful

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Null of Undefined posted:

Fundamentals are always helpful so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's like, an Ember course or something. Once you learn how things work you can pick up new things a lot faster. Sometimes the specific framework you're using goes out of style but the fundamentals are almost always useful

Yep this. You'll never be able to keep up with the most up to date technologies while learning on the side. Just carry on with what you're learning now and get comfortable with it, learn a framework and best practices. When the time comes that you want to work in the industry if you need to pick up a new technology then, you'll do it in a fraction of the time if you already have a solid foundation in something else.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Tea Bone posted:

Yep this. You'll never be able to keep up with the most up to date technologies while learning on the side.

Hell, I have trouble with this and it's my full time job. They deprecated what?!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Learn CSS really well, you'll need that no matter what. A lot of FE devs try to skip it or take shortcuts around it and doing that just makes everything harder. No matter what framework you use you're ultimately going to be generating HTML and CSS so you're gonna want to know how those work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed. Anyone looking to get into web development should have at least a working knowledge of both. At that point the next logical jump would be to an actual programming language, JS being the logical choice unless you're looking to go fully backend in which case there are lots of other options to consider (JS [again], Python, PHP, etc). However JS is baked into almost every part of the web design/dev process at this point, so it's probably the best choice. If I were starting my career from scratch, I'd lean hard into JS since it runs on both the front and backend.

Don't jump into a framework until you're rock solid in the three languages of your choosing. Picking up a framework when you already know the language is a thousand times easier than trying to learn a framework and a language at the same time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Trying to decide if it would be better to recommend JS or jumping straight into TypeScript for a newbie. Part of me wants to say go straight to Typescript but it would probably be easier to learn JS first, with the understanding that you'll want to jump to Typescript pretty much as soon as you feel comfortable with Javascript concepts.

I'd probably go:

1. HTML and CSS
2. Javascript fundamentals
3. Typescript fundamentals
4. React w/ Typescript

Some people might say Typescript isn't necessary but I disagree.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question...what do you guys use for a backend scripting language for your react sites? Node? I've been looking into ASP NET CORE because I have a sick love of C# even though I barely know the basics of it and it looks interesting. I know node would be easier to pivot into with basic javascript understanding though.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

This is the cockpit of a space shuttle.

Typescript, I believe is useless outside of large frameworks, that are has complex if not more than these cockpits. So is usally better to learn normal javascript, on enviroments has simple has possible before jumping on a large framework.

Kind of like you learn to fly a cesna before you fly on a jet, before they allow you to fly a space shuttle.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tei posted:

Typescript, I believe is useless outside of large frameworks, that are has complex if not more than these cockpits. So is usally better to learn normal javascript, on enviroments has simple has possible before jumping on a large framework.

Kind of like you learn to fly a cesna before you fly on a jet, before they allow you to fly a space shuttle.

jesus christ this is a bad opinion, maybe as bad as your opinions on https

Typescript is great for every project and should be used instead of vanilla js 100% of the time

I'd even advocate for skipping learning vanilla js at all

Typescript will encourage you to learn better habits and help you avoid early footguns that are all too easy in vanilla js.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can / should one learn typescriot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Where can / should one learn typescriot

start here: https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Fool posted:

jesus christ this is a bad opinion, maybe as bad as your opinions on https

It's ironic considering the space shuttle now looks like this and also runs Javascript,

Typescript should be used whenever possible as it can catch some stupid errors. Javascript is a subset of Typescript, so usually an easy win.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 24, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tei posted:

im not sure if this is a troll post or not

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ngl, all I've heard about Typescript is that is a massive PITA and nobody I know professionally uses it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

ngl, all I've heard about Typescript is that is a massive PITA and nobody I know professionally uses it

are you at big enterprise or small business

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

are you at big enterprise or small business

Small agency

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TS is only a pain in the rear end if you're trying to migrate an existing repo and are having to untangle a big mess of garbage. (read, all existing code)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

TS is only a pain in the rear end if you're trying to migrate an existing repo and are having to untangle a big mess of garbage. (read, all existing code)

I inherited someone's migration and everything was just : any

"No it was easy to migrate just add :any to everything"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

I inherited someone's migration and everything was just : any

"No it was easy to migrate just add :any to everything"

doesn't the ts linter warn on any

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Fool posted:

you can disable it
10x dev here i come

i thought you could just... not type stuff? better than using any

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
you have to type stuff but typescript's type inference is really good so it's not like you're manually typing stuff all the time.

i would not want to migrate a project to typescript, but i also would not start a new project without typescript.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

prom candy posted:

you have to type stuff but typescript's type inference is really good so it's not like you're manually typing stuff all the time.

ok so it seems that if you dont have strict: true it lets you get away with not actually typing things, which might be useful for migrating (and terrible for everything else)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

what linter

the entire file is bounded by istanbul ignore comments

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

prom candy posted:

i would not want to migrate a project to typescript, but i also would not start a new project without typescript.

javascript projects used to have a certain practical limit in size before the developer or company would give up and write whatever it was they were doing in a different language. typescript makes it much easier to create huge libraries containing hundreds of megabytes of code. it's somewhat analogous to how football helmets might overall be increasing the number of head injuries because they make players feel invulnerable so they run into each other harder.

that said, i wouldn't be caught dead developing in vanilla js. gently caress that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

javascript projects used to have a certain practical limit in size before the developer or company would give up and write whatever it was they were doing in a different language. typescript makes it much easier to create huge libraries containing hundreds of megabytes of code. it's somewhat analogous to how football helmets might overall be increasing the number of head injuries because they make players feel invulnerable so they run into each other harder.

that said, i wouldn't be caught dead developing in vanilla js. gently caress that.

The NFL maintains a react module called helmet that modifies <head>

Not apropos of anything, but I was amused when I discovered it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vanilla js is great for very quick prototyping or short scripts
there are a few small things i prefer using it over bash for

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

most of the code I write is front end code, so switching to a different language isn't all that easy. the backend language i have the most experience with is Ruby/Rails and I think i would much rather have a huge typescript API than a huge Rails API. might be a grass is greener thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I am not against good stuff.

I am just commenting on the idea of starting with something simple, then moving to something complex.

At the moment, browsers don't accept TypeScript nativelly, so any work pipeline is going to need... what?

Anyone have a repo with the smaller example of a html page + typescript.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TS is just a superscript of JS. You need to transpile it into JS somehow because JS is the language of the browser. I think there's a CLI tool, but you can also use something to manage it for you like webpack.

There should be plenty of open source projects out there that use TS, but from what I've seen it's usually always with a framework like React.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Typescript is an improvement to the language, but requires a build step. If your process has one anyway, use it. If not, balance easier-to-use code with skipping the build and config TS requires.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Look if you're just making a website that needs a hamburger menu and maybe a modal or two you can absolutely (and probably should) use vanilla JS. There's no need to overengineer every project that touches JS.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Related: Let's build a better web together by not abusing JS. React etc are nice for building interactive applications you don't need to (or can't) install on a computer, but have no place on informational or simple websites. These frameworks and NPM dependencies slow down the internet experience, and nullify improvements in computer and networks speeds.

I've built a VDOM-style WASM framework similar to React and Elm. Now, I use a few sparse JS files that do targeted DOM manipulation on my latest sites, and all ones I'll build going forward.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 25, 2020

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Which udemy course?
Currently doing this one https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-web-development-bootcamp/

Null of Undefined posted:

Tea Bone posted:

Yep this. You'll never be able to keep up with the most up to date technologies while learning on the side. Just carry on with what you're learning now and get comfortable with it, learn a framework and best practices. When the time comes that you want to work in the industry if you need to pick up a new technology then, you'll do it in a fraction of the time if you already have a solid foundation in something else.

alright then I'll keep that in mind and think of it as focusing on nailing the basics down so well that learning new frameworks will be easy, instead of getting caught up in being worried about staying up to date.

kedo posted:

Agreed. Anyone looking to get into web development should have at least a working knowledge of both. At that point the next logical jump would be to an actual programming language, JS being the logical choice unless you're looking to go fully backend in which case there are lots of other options to consider (JS [again], Python, PHP, etc). However JS is baked into almost every part of the web design/dev process at this point, so it's probably the best choice. If I were starting my career from scratch, I'd lean hard into JS since it runs on both the front and backend.

Don't jump into a framework until you're rock solid in the three languages of your choosing. Picking up a framework when you already know the language is a thousand times easier than trying to learn a framework and a language at the same time.

prom candy posted:

1. HTML and CSS
4. React w/ Typescript

For the most part I'm quite comfortable with HTML and CSS now, haven't really done much in JS though... don't suppose anyone would have any course recommendations that cover JS really well would they?
As for Typescript it wasn't even on my radar until now so hey glad I actually upped and asked about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

prom candy posted:

Trying to decide if it would be better to recommend JS or jumping straight into TypeScript for a newbie. Part of me wants to say go straight to Typescript but it would probably be easier to learn JS first, with the understanding that you'll want to jump to Typescript pretty much as soon as you feel comfortable with Javascript concepts.

I'd probably go:

1. HTML and CSS
4. React w/ Typescript

Typescript isn't necessary

Dominoes posted:

Related: Let's build a better web together by not abusing JS. React etc are nice for building interactive applications you don't need to (or can't) install on a computer, but have no place on informational or simple websites. These frameworks and NPM dependencies slow down the internet experience, and nullify improvements in computer and networks speeds.

Please tell this to my boss