Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Also, my turkey says it contains 9.5% turkey broth, salt, etc. Does that mean it's already been brined? I don't want to oversalt the thing. The only turkeys I could find all said this so I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yes, that's brined already. Don't brine it and don't add salt to your rub.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Went to grab a turkey after work, and smallest i could find in two stores was 20lb. Glad to know I can spatchcock and still be OK.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That's funny and maybe a little sad. Usually I can't find big turkeys and all that are left are little 10 lb'ers. I would wager that there's going to be more small turkeys sold this year just because people aren't (shouldn't be) hosting large dinners.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

That's funny and maybe a little sad. Usually I can't find big turkeys and all that are left are little 10 lb'ers. I would wager that there's going to be more small turkeys sold this year just because people aren't (shouldn't be) hosting large dinners.

Yeah it's completely the opposite this year. Looking forward to my 20 lb bird haha.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If im gonna break down a turkey to smoke should I debone the breast or leave the bones on?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just got a new akorn and I'm thinking about getting something to automate temp management. I've head iffy things about the thermoworks product. What's the goon choice right now that will work on an akorn?

BBQ Guru

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Also, my turkey says it contains 9.5% turkey broth, salt, etc. Does that mean it's already been brined? I don't want to oversalt the thing. The only turkeys I could find all said this so I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

Not brined, injected. Not necessarily a bad thing, as that can get flavor into the meat as opposed to just salt and water. But I would not brine an injected bird.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My Maverick remote thermometer finally bit the dust after five years, has anyone got a recent model they could recommend?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stringent posted:

My Maverick remote thermometer finally bit the dust after five years, has anyone got a recent model they could recommend?

toplitzin posted:

Fireboard, Fireboard, Fireboard.
here's my current cook:
https://share.fireboard.io/E8E784

edit: actual site:
https://www.fireboard.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I smoked some plate ribs today. Came out pretty good though I need less salt in the rub. Live and learn.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What might work to measure the smoke/convection temperature I have for my pizza oven? I am coming in from the front, so the typical thing of probing from the outside of the case isn't possible. I don't trust what I see with an IR thermometer for smoke temperature. Is there a corded thermometer kind of thing meant particularly for that rather than for inserting in meat?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I smoked some plate ribs today. Came out pretty good though I need less salt in the rub. Live and learn.

Nicely done. Also Holy smokes that’s a lot of spices out

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cheers!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is that....two containers of tonys on the counter? I like me some tonys but wow

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hed posted:

Nicely done. Also Holy smokes that’s a lot of spices out
Well that's their rack, so they're not exactly "out" so much as just there.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is that....two containers of tonys on the counter? I like me some tonys but wow
One is almost empty

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

The Christian god, and the entire pantheon of Indian deities are all probably waiting to torture my eternal soul, but... for the last few years I’ve made turkey tikka masala by just cutting leftover smoked turkey into bite sized chunks and just tossing it into the tikka masala gravy at the end to just warm the turkey through.

It rules.

Turkey curry around Boxing Day is a longheld tradition hereabouts, though technically that's not tikka. In a similar vein, coronation turkey.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking of maybe smoking some turkey legs this week. I would brine them, then smoke at 225 until internal temp of 175.

Is it safe to assume they'd need a quick blast of heat at the end to crisp up the skin?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm thinking of maybe smoking some turkey legs this week. I would brine them, then smoke at 225 until internal temp of 175.

Is it safe to assume they'd need a quick blast of heat at the end to crisp up the skin?

Just do them at 350 or whatever

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My smoker is not going to hit 350

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My smoker is not going to hit 350

I understand each of those words but as a sentence it does not compute. Either you are in the frozen arctic or you have some electric gizmo that doesn’t go over 350? Either case there would be ways to crank it up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chicago is cold, and my portable electric smoker is lucky to break 300 on a warm day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You could lay on some smoke up front and finish in the oven.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Smoke till they're like 15 degrees under temp and then blast in a hot oven.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On my MES, it goes to 275 and honestly that was crispy enough for me. I think either I'm broken or something us up with my setup, because it is contrary to what everyone has said in this thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What might work to measure the smoke/convection temperature I have for my pizza oven? I am coming in from the front, so the typical thing of probing from the outside of the case isn't possible. I don't trust what I see with an IR thermometer for smoke temperature. Is there a corded thermometer kind of thing meant particularly for that rather than for inserting in meat?

How hot of temps do you need to measure?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
OK I have a 21lb turkey thawing and I am going to Spatchcock it. I think I am going to further cut that in half and do 2 different rubs. Anyone have suggestions?

I need one to be more plain/basic because of Kids and picky eaters (wife mainly). The other can be more on the flavor-able side. I don't know what really goes with turkey. The last couple I smoked I just did light S&P and then did a glaze at the end.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Butt rubb

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Colostomy Bag posted:

How hot of temps do you need to measure?

Like, 200F-400F. I was hoping for a remote thing for gauging smoke temperature.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Like, 200F-400F. I was hoping for a remote thing for gauging smoke temperature.

Basically any decent probe thermometer designed for BBQ is going to have an air probe, and good ones are armored up to 650+ F.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kalman posted:

Basically any decent probe thermometer designed for BBQ is going to have an air probe, and good ones are armored up to 650+ F.

That should be fine there. I guess I should update to a better model that'll let me keep track of air temperature and meat temperature at the same time. My meat tends to go dry in the pizza oven and I'm trying to figure out if it's simply humidity or if the air current is hotter than I think. It could be. Anything on the oven floor cooks pretty well but gets no smoke. It might as well be in a crock pot. The convection stream even just a few inches up off of that is something else.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

loving Big Shot Chef Over Here Announces Plans To Smoke Turkey This Year

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I feel attacked...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This just reminds me I need to make a smoke hut for my WSM. Thanksgiving is well past the date I hang up my BBQ apron.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

This is me...

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

We aren't taking reservations and our day's dinner service is a single seating for 3

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Preferred brine mix?

Google is just giving me super elaborate ones that take 17 different spices. Just looking for something simple. Chicken stock, water and salt?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Preferred brine mix?

Google is just giving me super elaborate ones that take 17 different spices. Just looking for something simple. Chicken stock, water and salt?

Salt (and maybe some sugar) are the only things you're getting into the meat with a normal brine. Everything else you add is more abut what you want the outside of the bird to smell like. If you want to get stock and/or spices inside, you need to inject.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Kamado Joe for an early Christmas present. Question is, do I go for a £750 standalone Classic, or a Classic 2 with a bunch of toys (including a Looftlighter, Joetisserie, and pizza stone) for £1400?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Wachter posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Kamado Joe for an early Christmas present. Question is, do I go for a £750 standalone Classic, or a Classic 2 with a bunch of toys (including a Looftlighter, Joetisserie, and pizza stone) for £1400?

Classic II for sure. You'll end up buying all the stuff down the road most likely anyway so just do it now. They made some worthwhile upgrades to the 2 over the classic {air lift hinge, better top vent, better seal).