Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
also lol
https://twitter.com/trash_panda45/status/1331286067476099074

If she'd said "the Human Rights Act and the European Convention on Human Rights protects my right to a private and family life, including the right to run a business" then she'd still be wrong and get fined, but she might at least have been able to get legal representation to argue that case, and perhaps agree a reduction in the fines offset against the material damage that the lockdown did to her business (or more likely lose).

This is what happens when you exit reality instead of dealing with real laws.

e: U-488 was a racist boat that got recked.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
A big part of the issue is that she and people like her are kind of close to arealisation on something - laws ARE just magic words. There's no material power to laws, they work purely by consensus and social contract.

It's just that they don't get that the fact that all laws work by consensus and social contract doesn't mean you can just say anything and consensus and social contract will make it work.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Excuuuuuuse me officer but I think you will find I can park my car here in the middle of the shopping centre having crashed through the entrance and mown down a score of innocents for because the magnum carter says 'tis my right for to go where i please in my private vessel dewntchuknoo :bahgawd:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also I only got about ten points into the magna carta before I got bored and gave up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

It's just that they don't get that the fact that all laws work by consensus and social contract doesn't mean you can just say anything and consensus and social contract will make it work.
Consensus, social contract, and power.

Dominic Cummings could flout the law with impunity because nobody could be bothered enforcing them on him.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

thespaceinvader posted:

Also I only got about ten points into the magna carta before I got bored and gave up.

Alright King John

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

multijoe posted:

Honestly just feel bad for her being taken in by this sovereign citizen poo poo. That's a life-ruining fine just for being an idiot

No!!! Let her suffer!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can plot the exact point where it went to poo poo, too - when he and Merchant returned to XFM between The Office and Extras, he was berating Karl Pilkington for something or other and said "I went away for the weekend and came back with 45 minutes of standup". Most standups are lucky to get 45 minutes out of six months of writing (not even including testing it out) and when you see his standup it's really, really obviously been written over a weekend.

Yes! That's also the point where the XFM show goes from Gervais finding Karl genuinely funny and fascinating and revelling in the chance to put him on the air to just hour-long chances for Ricky to swear at Karl and angrily call him an idiot. That episode where Ricky's "buzzing about writing 40 minutes of brand-new standup" is about three-quarters of the way through Series 2 of the XFM show, and from there you can really tell that Karl's fed up of working with him and wants to stop (he says as much, increasingly often, but he can't because he needs a new kitchen...). Series 3 of the show (once Karl's got Mondays off in return...) and the later podcasts just double down on this - as well as retreading old ground it's increasingly just an hour of Gervais screaming at Karl and belittling him, refusing to actually enagage with anything he has to say and coming up with increasingly rude names for him.

I'm pretty sure that tail end of Series 2 is also when Ricky, irony of ironies, starts having a go at Karl for letting his newfound celebrity go to his head and starting to think that everything he says is meaningful and deep - if that's not projection I don't know what is, because that sums up Gervais to a tee and everything I've seen of Karl in recent years suggests that he hasn't let his profile change him or his life at all.

stev posted:

People who do that sort of freeman of the land-esque poo poo do it because they think their nonsense gives them an advantage over everyone else. They're some of the most selfish people I've ever encountered and while they're also victims of a weird scam that doesn't outweigh how little they care about everyone else that has to share the country with them.

I haven't come across a single FotL/sovereign citizen type who wasn't using to basically get away with not having to something they should. That's always what it boils down to. Rather like libertarianism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Someone edit this so a pack of playing cards is fluttering from his right hand to his left

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BalloonFish posted:

I haven't come across a single FotL/sovereign citizen type who wasn't using to basically get away with not having to something they should. That's always what it boils down to. Rather like libertarianism.

It's usually mortgage payments. They're quite happy to take the mortgage and buy the house, and their interpretation of the law only kicks in when its time to start paying it back.

I mean gently caress the banks and all but it's infuriatingly transparent.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

stev posted:

It's usually mortgage payments. They're quite happy to take the mortgage and buy the house, and their interpretation of the law only kicks in when its time to start paying it back.

I mean gently caress the banks and all but it's infuriatingly transparent.

Well I think their thinking is "Hah if those banks are dumb enough to lend out money I'm not at all obliged to pay back... :smug:"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
[url=https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/selfish-salon-owner-hit-another-19338648]Important update![/quote]

quote:

The salon owner, Sinead Quinn, has now been issued with her second £10,000 fine, on top of previous fines for ignoring the lockdown rules.

She must now pay a total of £27,000.

Number go up!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1331226216020500480?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gervaise always reminded me of the fat rich kid at school who lorded it over everyone else without having any actual redeeming qualities. The kid that everyone inexplicably says is awesome and the only way you can deal with the group is by propping up that illusion.

I remember him getting his start on the 11 oclock show (along with Ian Lee looking like a necron headmaster and making constant jokes about fingering), and he just dove right in with the sneering charicature of himself as a sneering, self aggrandising parody of... I guess the person he actually ended up becoming?

Ricky gervais' career makes more sense backwards, starting off as a podcaster / DJ who gets into standup, makes a few films, and then ends up on night time TV as a self parody. It makes zero sense the other way round.

Pilkington's travel / nature doc was good because it was just him chilling and making bizarre observations, which is what his shtick should always have been.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
look at this poo poo

4. I will agree to your demands if you show me proof I've agreed to your demands

If you don't show me this I'll take your silence as agreement!!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ricky gervais' career makes more sense backwards, starting off as a podcaster / DJ who gets into standup, makes a few films, and then ends up on night time TV as a self parody. It makes zero sense the other way round.

gervais started in a pop band though

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Consensus, social contract, and power.

Dominic Cummings could flout the law with impunity because nobody could be bothered enforcing them on him.

I wonder how many of these idiots think that the reason the rich and powerful get away with all that they do its that they know all the sneaky loopholes in the law, and so buying into these ridiculous legal theories is a way of rationalising their own powerlessness in society.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is why Futurama is the best sitcom.

Close but it's not King of the Hill, the actual best sitcom ever made.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If we’re doing TV recs I can’t in good conscience not bring up The Expanse. It’s nothing like anything talked about and barely relevant but it’s the best tv I’ve watched in years, maybe since C4 Utopia, and season 5 starts next month. It’s really, really good, especially if you at all care about sci fi or space.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

look at this poo poo

4. I will agree to your demands if you show me proof I've agreed to your demands

Dear Sir,

As per the Offices of packing woollen cloth, etc. in London Act 1513, I can do what the gently caress I want. If you want to stop me, prove 5 things that have never been claimed and are impossible to claim plus one thing that happened in March.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
What do these freemen on the land people think laws are?

Like, even if there was some archaic medieval ruling that supported their position, they do realise that it's not worth poo poo if all of the rest of society says 'lol, gently caress off', right? It just makes me think of someone murdering someone in broad daylight then defending themselves on the basis of one of those 'legal in derby to shoot a welshman on tuesday mornings while the moon is waxing, while wearing woollen mittens' curiosities and expecting the judge to be all 'oh, well, you got me! you're free to go!'. It's a laughably absurd and naive way of understanding how both power and the legal system work and I can't bring myself to believe anyone really believes it's going to be some effective ace in the hole in court.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gervais started in a pop band though

Were they in any way successful? I feel like the 'I'm Ricky Gervais' bit was when he mostly entered public consciousness. Unless the self parody aspect was because he assumed people knew him from the band, but that just makes it all the more hilarious if he thought he was a big name and nobody knew who the gently caress he was.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

What do these freemen on the land people think laws are?
It's not completely infeasible that if a whole bunch of small businesses acted collectively through, say, the FSB and Liberty, they could launch a legal case that saw a judge declare that parts of the Coronavirus Act that allowed for businesses to be shut without full compensation were incompatible with the Human Rights Act and issue a declaration of incompatibility.

Vanishingly unlikely, but within the realms of laws that exist and care to be enforced.

They've just been told for decades to hate collective action and the HRA, so they go around waving their medieval bits of paper.

And they're also idiots so nobody wants to join in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

look at this poo poo

"Wet signature" always makes me gag a bit. It's like a crusty old man saying 'moist'.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Were they in any way successful? I feel like the 'I'm Ricky Gervais' bit was when he mostly entered public consciousness. Unless the self parody aspect was because he assumed people knew him from the band, but that just makes it all the more hilarious if he thought he was a big name and nobody knew who the gently caress he was.

I don't think so, they only had 2 singles which didn't chart in the UK but I think they did alright in Asia but be your own judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuy1Z4wqQ4w

its like he was trying to be a poo poo David Bowie

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Noxville posted:

His stand up is abysmal and it’s entirely because he got rich and famous and decided ‘I want to do stand up’ without any experience of actually trying jokes on an audience

He was doing standup before The Office really took off and it was poo poo then as well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

"Wet signature" always makes me gag a bit. It's like a crusty old man saying 'moist'.
I said certified free, seven days a week
Wet rear end signature, make that legal game weak

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jakabite posted:

If we’re doing TV recs I can’t in good conscience not bring up The Expanse. It’s nothing like anything talked about and barely relevant but it’s the best tv I’ve watched in years, maybe since C4 Utopia, and season 5 starts next month. It’s really, really good, especially if you at all care about sci fi or space.

its a shame alex's actor turned out to be a massive sex abuser/harasser and has been kicked off the show

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't buy the "Gervais needs Merchant to make something good" because Extras is definitely a step down from The Office, Life's Too Short was pretty bad and his HBO sitcom Hello Ladies was awful.

The difference is though is that Merchant is actually a talented actor and is quite likeable in interviews, so every time he pops up you actually look forward to what you're about to see and he nails it every time.

edit; Actually, Fighting with My Family was a really fun watch so Merchant gets full credit for that.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 24, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jakabite posted:

Amos is one of the best characters on TV in ages

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

It's not completely infeasible that if a whole bunch of small businesses acted collectively through, say, the FSB and Liberty, they could launch a legal case that saw a judge declare that parts of the Coronavirus Act that allowed for businesses to be shut without full compensation were incompatible with the Human Rights Act and issue a declaration of incompatibility.

Vanishingly unlikely, but within the realms of laws that exist and care to be enforced.

They've just been told for decades to hate collective action and the HRA, so they go around waving their medieval bits of paper.

And they're also idiots so nobody wants to join in.

Yes, but what do they think is actually going to happen when they post in the shop window and insist on staying open?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Gorn Myson posted:

He made the Mighty Boosh. He was pretty poo poo on Buzzcocks too. I just find him annoying and his humour is just "hey isn't this just a bit random?".
I don't think this us completely fair some of his stuff is poo poo yes but you could level "lol randomXD" as a critism to any absurdist or sureal comedy. I think he's okay sometimes, Boosh got worse at it went along IMO and I actually enjoyed Luxury Comedy series 1 wheras the first episode of series 2 was legit navel gazing self congratulationary bollocks and I couldn't continue watching. He's usually fun on a panel show, I think he works well paired with Richard Ayoade on the annual big quizzes.

For actual bad stuff I asked once in the UK TV thread and iirc there was some twitter drama about Noel using the R slur and apparently someone with learning difficulties got dogpiled by his lovely fans, which almost led them to suicide as their entire support network was through twitter at the time. That was pretty hosed up.

If he's had any more poo poo drama or bad takes I haven't read about it, however he's a british comedian so I go out of my way to avoid his social media.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I like Stephen Merchant but Portal 2 is still the best thing he's done

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like Stephen Merchant but Portal 2 is still the best thing he's done

The chicken chef in Darkplace is the best thing he's done.

Sonofabitch

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes, but what do they think is actually going to happen when they post in the shop window and insist on staying open?
Probably that they can refuse to pay the fine, have it go to court, and tell the magistrates that the clearly posted terms were violated when they were fined, therefore nullifying it.

Which will be interesting when it hits reality.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thespaceinvader posted:

I wanna know which bit of the magna carta she was quoting.

E: the magna carta specifically mentions borrowing money from Jews wtf

Without knowing more details of the case, I would guess it is Section 62 of the Magna Carter.

I say that purely because a bunch of pubs in Temple Bar started putting these notices up, and it's all nonsense. I'd say she got suckered by the same nonsense.

See this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/KeithJRooney/status/1330509726388543492?s=20

Basically the core of their argument (as crazy as it is. It's all based on nonsense they have been sold by a madman.) is that they have put up this set of demands on the window of their business and dated it. If the authorities haven't shown up with all these nebulous claims and proofs within seven days* then they will say that the authorities have given them permission to stay open and not be fined.

It's stupid and dumb because the State doesn't have to accept your laws, and this isn't a contractual negotiation.

The problem with the Freemen of the Land types is that the people who start these things are just in for the Grift. The people who use these things may have been driven to do so out of desperation and being in financial hardship. But they are also almost uniformly massive bell-ends. The kind of people who would walk into a shop, skip past the que of people waiting and not only demand to be served but start yelling at the staff for not throwing out the other customers.

*= Also that a witch with longhair will come out of a well and kill somebody.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 24, 2020

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I teach at a girls school and skirts are meant to be knee length. It's the one thing most male teachers won't question students about which leads to terrible compliance. Trying to have that conversation with my form generally leads to "someone told me it's because it distracts the teachers". My response is always no that's not the reason. In the same way that I would much rather not be wearing suit & tie, it's the rules so I have to. Knee-length skirt is the school uniform and you agreed to follow it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

look at this poo poo

Sovereign citizens don't seem to grasp that there's like this maximum size limit on conspiracy theories that apply to social constructs. If the majority of the population are conspirators we call it reality.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Without knowing more details of the case, I would guess it is Section 62 of the Magna Carter.

I say that purely because a bunch of pubs in Temple Bar started putting these notices up, and it's all nonsense. I'd say she got suckered by the same nonsense.

See this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/KeithJRooney/status/1330509726388543492?s=20
The English Common Law, famous for *checks notes* guaranteeing free and fair treatment for the people of Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Sign all contracts with wet eggs.