Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Have any covid models been successful? The ones I recall were off by orders of magnitude and didn't seem terribly useful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Count Roland posted:

Have any covid models been successful?

I think the one in the image is pretty accurate, if tautological.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if their archived data has enough to do this, but I'd love to superimpose their projections over reality, especially for things like predictions for social distancing.

It seems like, at least for my state, that there's a constant prediction that any day now people will take this pandemic seriously and go home.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Mask use around is not 2% in public in my area, are we just the people skewing the average for everyone else or is this bullshit?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sighence posted:

Mask use around is not 2% in public in my area, are we just the people skewing the average for everyone else or is this bullshit?

I think it depends highly on area. I'm in a region where masks in indoor public places have been mandatory for months. Compliance has fallen a bit but is still well over 90% from what I see.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Carbon dioxide posted:

And something else he did was of course made the "Ingredients of an all-natural banana" poster that went viral a couple years ago.

At first I was like "where's the isoamyl acetate" which is the flavor used in fake banana products but I looked it up and the IUPAC name for this compound is 3-Methylbutyl ethanoate which is the first ingredient in flavorings.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sighence posted:

It's specifically for Sweden. But that doesn't matter, my amusement was in how tautological the thing is. Nobody's wearing masks and they're well short of the universal mask use target but if they adopt universal masking then they'll get there.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 20, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strong OBR forecast energy from that graph.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

OwlFancier posted:

This reminds me of the Intel optimism about their Itanium series

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OwlFancier posted:

Gotta respect a good hedgehog chart! Just like Sweden's national bank does them:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
That's got to be one of the worst sonic OC I've ever seen.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OC do not steal the collateral

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Everyone does it, it's great*

Reserve Bank of Australia

*not great

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I have one for Greece's GDP prediction, if nobody makes it ahead of me I'll see about posting it in the morning

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vorpal Cat posted:

That's got to be one of the worst sonic OC I've ever seen.
gotta rise fast

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

Everyone does it, it's great*

Reserve Bank of Australia

*not great

Any day now, companies are going to start paying their employees properly.

Any day now.

Any day.

:(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hey now, looks like 2017 forecast finally succeeded pretty nicely (I can't find a graph that goes past mid-2018, but I presume that 2020 hosed up everything anyway)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Click for big.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Wait, shouldn't Europe be connected to the Americas via French Guiana?

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Where’s Alaska and Hawaii?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SerialKilldeer posted:

Where’s Alaska and Hawaii?

Between Canada and Mexico.

If you had to correctly place the labels on that map it'd be an amazing geography quiz.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Topologists ain't got no time for my boy Kaliningrad.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Click for big.

The other half of Sweden, and Norway. The best known for being Asian countries.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tenebrais posted:

If you had to correctly place the labels on that map it'd be an amazing geography quiz.
https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alcas/hint--find-the-mediterranean?t=graph

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

They had another one that was for the US states. Once you figured out Maine as the only one with a single border, the rest wasn't too bad.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Map is okay but insufficient. Should deal with exclaves that have different borders than the mainland (not a huge deal; the only ones that come to mind are Spain, Angola, Azerbaijan, France, Russia, Palestine, ... I think that's it? Bonus for NL-France) and include little lines for the countries that are linked only by a permanent structure (Singapore-Malaysia, Bahrain-Saudi, Denmark-Sweden, UK-France). Bonus round for Northern Cyprus, Artsakh, Transnistria, Abkhazia, and South Ossetia, and extra points if they included a tiny easter egg for Bir Tawil.

Also a little irked that Cabo Verde's rename is not respected, but a newer one (North Macedonia) is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kantesu posted:

Wait, shouldn't Europe be connected to the Americas via French Guiana?

The note in the corner mentions that exclaves are being ignored (which is also why Russia is not said to share a border with Lithuania even though it does via Kaliningrad)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

MrUnderbridge posted:

They had another one that was for the US states. Once you figured out Maine as the only one with a single border, the rest wasn't too bad.
https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alcas/a-harder-us-graph?playlist=graph-y-geography&creator=Alcas&pid=9bf54513X

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
:nws:?

https://imgur.com/IP11llM

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Sexual Kung Fu

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"It's not what it looks like, I was, uh...transforming my consciousness!!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alcas/hint-if-lost-start-with-maine is a little easier.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
The other one's prettier, though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That's the one!

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Click for big.

The Black Sea doesn't connect to the Mediterranean like it should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I spent a while trying to figure that out as well yes, I think the bosporus is just "turkey"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/fioraaeterna/status/1332081110235246592?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Golbez posted:

Also a little irked that Cabo Verde's rename is not respected, but a newer one (North Macedonia) is.

Since I had to look this up:

quote:

On 24 October 2013, the country's delegation announced at the United Nations that the official name should no longer be translated into other languages. Instead of "Cape Verde," the designation "Republic of Cabo Verde" is to be used.[11][13] English-speakers have used the name "Cape Verde" for the archipelago and, since independence in 1975, for the country. In 2013 the Cape Verdean government determined that the Portuguese designation Cabo Verde would henceforth be used for official purposes, such as at the United Nations, even in English-language contexts.
That's not really a rename, and I don't know if it's necessarily wrong to ignore a request for nonstandard translation.