Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah all the new consoles are looking to be loss leaders this time.

I’m not 100% sure about this, especially when you get down to nitty gritty bill of materials and find the consoles using cheap QLC flash, no dram cache for the ssds, and realize that the integrated GPUs they’re using have huge cost savings over separate CPU+GPU.

Edit:
Also one memory controller, the memory buses aren't that wide, and GDDR6 isn't that expensive. In particular, the Series S with its 128-bit bus. That's GTX 1050 Ti-size bus, and a big driver of cost savings. I'm not saying the Series S is bad, just that they've done tons of things to keep costs down and should be able to have one in every home cheaply once their manufacturing gets straightened out.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Never shop online without your glasses on (assuming you are old like me and need them).
I thought I was buying MK 11 Ultimate for a crazy deal the other day and I was actually buying Aftermath Kollection.
So now I have a spare vanilla MK 11 that I don't need. Anyone want it? First person who PMs me can have it for just the cost of shipping.

And it's claimed.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 24, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you need xbl gold to use dev mode for this stuff?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

do you need xbl gold to use dev mode for this stuff?

Nope!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh thats good
Someone lied to me

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh thats good
Someone lied to me

You need an account to buy the activation from the store, so maybe that's where the confusion is? When it was in beta you also needed to make a Microsoft developer account, but I'm not sure if you still need to do that now. I haven't done it in a while.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You need a registered dev account which is a one time $19 fee.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A one time fee to boot your new machine into dev mode is pretty ballsy for MS, I can only imagine it'll make hacking easier. Although I see the Xbox One didn't really have a homebrew scene but I assume that was more due to nobody really liking the hardware. Maybe the Series will change that. It'd be great and hilarious if it could do decent PS2 emu

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they had a one time fee for an xbox windows license and i could just get steam and all my programs on there i would be king xbox.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A one time fee to boot your new machine into dev mode is pretty ballsy for MS, I can only imagine it'll make hacking easier. Although I see the Xbox One didn't really have a homebrew scene but I assume that was more due to nobody really liking the hardware. Maybe the Series will change that. It'd be great and hilarious if it could do decent PS2 emu

There are two sides of homebrew, one group of people want to run custom stuff on a console, the other group wants to pirate games. I'm just pulling things out my rear end, but I think a lot of the people with the skills to break into the console are also the people that just want to run their own stuff. Microsoft selling the ability to do that for 20 dollars with no hacking needed kills a bunch of the motivation to try to hack the xbox. That just leaves the group that want to pirate games. The vast majority of those people have no ability to even figure out what to do to hack a console because they just want free games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The one time fee to put it into dev mode pretty much kills most incentive to hack it in the first place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just need RetroArch to update their Xbox App version to support PS1/PS2 emulation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm kinda excited for what happens with it. One thing I'll say though is that these hacking nerds need to get some UX friends. This poo poo is so ugly and the menus are convoluted as hell. Get in touch with the Plex guys or the OpenEmu team.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So with the Dev mode I could stick in my Return of the King disc and play it just as if I was using an og xbox?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No. Dev mode is for building and running custom applications using a sandboxed version of the Xbox hardware.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

its for emulators to play pirated games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

if they had a one time fee for an xbox windows license and i could just get steam and all my programs on there i would be king xbox.

That would absolutely kill their software-centric business model though

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
If anyone wants a Series S bundle this has been sitting around for at least a half hour and still appears to work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Breaking news: the World Science Fiction Society is presenting a Hugo Award for Best Game in 2021! This award has been around since the 50s and is probably the biggest prize in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I made a thread here since it's the first time they've had games as a category and they're considering adding it as a permanent one.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Midjack posted:

Breaking news: the World Science Fiction Society is presenting a Hugo Award for Best Game in 2021! This award has been around since the 50s and is probably the biggest prize in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I made a thread here since it's the first time they've had games as a category and they're considering adding it as a permanent one.

Congrats to, uh, Destiny 2?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

crackhaed posted:

If anyone wants a Series S bundle this has been sitting around for at least a half hour and still appears to work.

I just can't make myself buy those games.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Thinking about buying a just cause game in this sale. Never played any of them, is 4 the best? I know they’re all dumb

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Crafty posted:

Thinking about buying a just cause game in this sale. Never played any of them, is 4 the best? I know they’re all dumb

Just Cause 2 was very good. I played 3 and 4 and forget which one was the one I liked of those two (they were on gamepass). But the main issue with those games was that I was on a One and the FPS would crawl to like 10 (seriously) during any battle so the X will make things much better. The framerate was what made 3 and 4 bad not gameplay.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just Cause 2 owned but I'm not sure they ever fixed the performance of 3 or 4. I know there were patches to improve things but I think the games remained not-so-great regardless. Didn't they also work on the Mad Max game and that reboot of Rage as well? Had a lot of output compared to other developers throughout the gen but they were all kinda rushed, I think.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Warning about just cause: it makes traversal in every other game lame and stupid.

Every game should have a powered grappling hook/wing suit.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the last just cause was pretty bad regardless of platform.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nuts and Gum posted:

Every game should have a powered grappling hook/wing suit.

Is it more relaxing than riding a horse? What about speeding in a car through a wall of pedestrians?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Celexi posted:

the last just cause was pretty bad regardless of platform.

I'm a JC junkie and yeah... even though the X and S supposedly fix a lot of the FPS problems... 4 was just... blech. I'll probably go back and try it again but it tried to do SO much. Like... nobody gives a poo poo about that kind of "innovation" in JC.

Give me huge gently caress off maps with tons of cools poo poo to do and lots of cool weapons and flight mechanisms. Also lots of fun easter eggs.

As soon as 4 was like "hey try to gain allies and do some Risk Lite poo poo with the game board" I lost interest. Ain't nobody got time for that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
FWIW I had a ton of fun traveling the map in JC3 on my OG Bone, capturing new areas of land, slowly taking over each island, even when the game would slow to powerpoint speeds while you were really lighting up a settlement. If there are even marginal performance improvements to be had by playing on a S/X, I'd definitely recommend finding a copy of 3

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JC2 owns bones.

Probably one of my favorite games.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MarcusSA posted:

JC2 owns bones.

Probably one of my favorite games.

Man I spent well over 100 hours trying to 100% it only realizing there is a glitch that prevents it. I was at 99.99% which took mind numbing efforts to.get too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsQldhmN5XU

DF check out back compat on JC3 in this vid- 3m 30s. The one x struggled and I played this on the OG lol.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s discouraging seeing GameStop and others restock and my Microsoft.com order from two weeks ago has done nothing but issue authorization charges and say pending.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The more I play NFS hot pursuit remastered the more i realise this is burnout 4.

the only thing missing is boost refills for takedowns.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They were also forced to call Burnout Paradise 2 "NFS Most Wanted"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be funny if xbox got ps3 backwards compatibility before ps5 did via an RPCS3 port

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 25, 2020

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

It's been forever since I've been in the emulator scene. How hard is it to find ROMs these days?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Grey posted:

It's been forever since I've been in the emulator scene. How hard is it to find ROMs these days?

Incredibly easy. Just google vimm

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is it still verboten to talk about archive.org just asking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah archive.org is incredible for complete rom sets. They have literally everything.

In Minecraft.