Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm gonna be a big call here but I think that actually, the end boss is the hardest enemy in the game.

IMO he's really not, you can beat it even with crappy boons if you time your dodge right (which I often don't). I don't think you can reliably survive in an assorted shield-archer/spearmen elite room in Elysium with a bad build though. Even a bad Styx room with a giant armored rat and some other stuff can get closer to ending your run than the end boss would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The shield guys are easy enough if you bait their attacks, move away, and then attack briefly before moving away again -- just like all the other hard enemies. The problem with the shield guys is that they're tedious to get hits on.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kawabata posted:

IMO he's really not, you can beat it even with crappy boons if you time your dodge right (which I often don't). I don't think you can reliably survive in an assorted shield-archer/spearmen elite room in Elysium with a bad build though. Even a bad Styx room with a giant armored rat and some other stuff can get closer to ending your run than the end boss would.

Idk, most of the rooms in Elysium are big enough that you can maneuver around enemies well enough to handle a handful of elites enough to wear them down.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
How does Aphrodite's call work? Does the normal one inflict damage once the charm runs out, or is that only the full meter version? And is the full version still just single target?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

How does Aphrodite's call work? Does the normal one inflict damage once the charm runs out, or is that only the full meter version? And is the full version still just single target?

Only the fully charged version does damage. It's still single target tho. The magic of aphrodite is you can use it to stun bosses out of almost any pattern. With any sort of fast charge upgrade you can more or less stunlock the final boss to death. Also on extreme mode bull and guy, you can make the bull instantly kill the guy if you charm him during his spin attack.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

It's also just a lot of burst damage. It'll take half of Hades' health unless you have some pacts on that affect it. Only call with better burst damage is Artemis' and that has the advantage of hitting over multiple shots so it'll burn through armour and still do damage to health which is nice.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

With Dionysus' boons

If I have hangover on attack, and that does, I dunno, 6 damage per tick
But I also have Dio call, which does 12 damage per tick

And I swat the enemy with my sword twice and then hit them with a call

is that two stacks of 6dmg and a stack of 12, or three stacks of 12, or something else entirely?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Your newest stacks replace your oldest stacks once you hit the cap.

So every time the call hits him, it will add 12-dmg stacks until he gets to five total stacks, and then start replacing the oldest 6-dmg stacks with newer 12-damage stacks.

If you hit him with the sword again it will start replacing the stacks from the call.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Having troubles beating 32 heat, thinking it's my mirror set up. My quickest/best runs are with chiron, Hera, Arthur, Gilgamesh, Samsa. Shields I can use, but nothing dies in time, I feel like I do so little damage to beat out the timer. I feel like my problem is the mirror upgrades, mainly stubborn defiance Vs DD, and the last three upgrades I'm not sure which one is best. If anyone has recommendations for mirror builds, please link/let me know.

My other main problem is that shield and spear I never know what to build. I get that with rapid fire stuff like chiron it's good to stack ares/Dion, but with single hit builds I feel like nothing does enough damage quickly enough to be worth it at higher heats. I can get up to low 20ish heats and blaze through it with most builds under 30 min runs, but around 25ish heat I have a really hard time dealing enough damage to not make the game boring. Post your strongest shield or spear builds please.

Edit: I guess I could turn on God mode and plink away for an hour but this seems to be a waste of time and not very fun considering most low heat runs are 20-30 min

Guilty fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 24, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Spear probably has the worst damage output in the game. Hades spear with a heavy artemis build (preferably with athena or aphrodite duo) is solid, but it's never going to put out the absolutely bonkers damage you can manage on some other weapons. Achilles spear is rarely going to outperform Poseidon sword as a casting weapon unless you're getting ares/artemis, demeter/artemis, or dionysus/zeus duo casts. The hidden spear aspect is honestly bad; it's improvements don't justify a 50% hp penalty.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love the spear, but it's definitely not going to win you any speedrun records. It's benefit is that it allows you to quickly and effectively attack from relative safety at much lower risk to yourself than most of the higher damage weapons.

The main problem with it is that the bow is almost certainly superior at filling that niche.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Guilty posted:

Having troubles beating 32 heat, thinking it's my mirror set up. My quickest/best runs are with chiron, Hera, Arthur, Gilgamesh, Samsa. Shields I can use, but nothing dies in time, I feel like I do so little damage to beat out the timer. I feel like my problem is the mirror upgrades, mainly stubborn defiance Vs DD, and the last three upgrades I'm not sure which one is best. If anyone has recommendations for mirror builds, please link/let me know.

My other main problem is that shield and spear I never know what to build. I get that with rapid fire stuff like chiron it's good to stack ares/Dion, but with single hit builds I feel like nothing does enough damage quickly enough to be worth it at higher heats. I can get up to low 20ish heats and blaze through it with most builds under 30 min runs, but around 25ish heat I have a really hard time dealing enough damage to not make the game boring. Post your strongest shield or spear builds please.

Edit: I guess I could turn on God mode and plink away for an hour but this seems to be a waste of time and not very fun considering most low heat runs are 20-30 min

What pacts are you taking? For your first 32 heat clear a 7 minute deadline is really pushing it even without any increase to enemy health / numbers.

Eris and Chiron are probably your best options for doling out big damage while staying safe.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Party Boat posted:

What pacts are you taking? For your first 32 heat clear a 7 minute deadline is really pushing it even without any increase to enemy health / numbers.

Eris and Chiron are probably your best options for doling out big damage while staying safe.

I've tried several variations of pacts, I do reasonably well with maxing dmg/atk speed on enemies, but eventually I'll get overwhelmed by a room when there's a bunch of shooters and the game turns to ikaruga. If I bump up enemy health to reach 32 I can survive ok, but the damage is so piss poor I just generally lose interest around 45 min into a run.

Edit: thanks for the spear tips, always avoided Artemis on spear because ages ago I once read a Reddit post that Artemis was bad on melee and my pea sized brain never let me go of that idiotic fact.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 25, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

just had a bonker duo boon run. Had the poseidon/zeus dash and dionysus/zeus boon cast with the zeus legendary and a bunch of lightning bonuses. This with lucifer and zeus on special (3 round hammer)/ hangover on attack. I’ve never obliterated everything so quickly it felt like cheating. I had so many amazing synergistic boobs that I couldn’t pick which ones to highlight.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Guilty posted:

At 32 heat, your main concerns turn from the bosses to the standard enemies. When you have enemies doing a ton of damage to you per hit, plus being faster, plus you get less healing from healing sources, and so on you either need a weapon that tears through multiple enemies quickly or is pretty much a very high focus fire weapon.

I tried a few runs with Chiron Bow before switching to Eris Rail because Eris Rail is that crazy with a good build.

The main mirror option to change to is Stubborn Defiance since most regular rooms will be the source of your deaths. You can exploit SD a bit if you're near death in a room and there's one enemy left. Let the enemy kill you and then immediately kill the enemy. You get your defiance back plus more health.

Also to note, any boon that gives you an extra Death Defiance will work with Stubborn Defiance and will be set to activate AFTER the Stubborn Defiance. However, the boon will NOT regen like Stubborn Defiance, once you use it, you lose it.

With Eris Rail, take Zeus' keepsake and pick up his Attack boon. The splitting nature of the attack allows you to mow through groups quickly. Artemis or Aphrodite help by creating big damage. Your cast is rather unimportant to the build, but pick something that sticks for the bonus damage. Aphrodite or Artemis calls are good. Athena dash will really help with survival. If you need boons from other gods, switch to their keepsake. After you get the boons you need, switch to the Acorn or Broken Spearpoint.

As for Hammers, if you're forced into an Attack hammer, take Delta Chamber or Piercing Fire. Otherwise you want Rocket Bomb, Cluster Bomb, and/or Triple Bomb. Anything that allows you to keep the Eris buff going as much as possible. With that said, you want faster Special from Hermes as a priority, then faster Attack or more dashes.

Chaos and Erebus are luxuries that could get you killed, keep that in mind.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Guilty posted:

I feel like my problem is the mirror upgrades, mainly stubborn defiance Vs DD, and the last three upgrades I'm not sure which one is best. If anyone has recommendations for mirror builds, please link/let me know.

For my 32 Heat run, I used Stubborn Defiance because I also maxed the reduction to healing items so nothing could heal me except dying and getting health back. If you're low on health, either use the environment to die before moving to the next room (stand in Asphodel's lava/hit the exploding things in Elysium) or stand still and let an enemy kill you. Getting Athena in your run is really helpful, especially if you die in a room with her boon because the "regain 1 Use of Death Defiance" gives you an extra use that used after your stubborn defiance - meaning you can die and get healed and have 2 extra lives for when you get to Hades.

I used the Rail with Zag's aspect, mainly because I like to take the Artemis keepsake at the beginning and build towards Supporting Fire which helps a lot. I'd avoid increasing enemy health/numbers.

I don't remember what exact levels for the Pact I used, but I remember I maxed out Hard Labor, Lasting Consequences, and Convenience Fee. Extreme Measures 3 is good, don't go to 4. Damage Control 2 wasn't a problem for me because I was using the Rail but you might want to go with something else if you're using a slower weapon that hits hard.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I love the spear, but it's definitely not going to win you any speedrun records. It's benefit is that it allows you to quickly and effectively attack from relative safety at much lower risk to yourself than most of the higher damage weapons.

The main problem with it is that the bow is almost certainly superior at filling that niche.

Only the Chiron Bow or the bow with certain upgrades. The spear has a very nice range, and I really really dislike having to stand still to charge the primary attack. (It's why I simply won't touch the Lucifer gun)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Only the Chiron Bow or the bow with certain upgrades. The spear has a very nice range, and I really really dislike having to stand still to charge the primary attack. (It's why I simply won't touch the Lucifer gun)

If you hold attack the whole time, the ramp up is preserved through dashes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kuros posted:

Also to note, any boon that gives you an extra Death Defiance will work with Stubborn Defiance and will be set to activate AFTER the Stubborn Defiance. However, the boon will NOT regen like Stubborn Defiance, once you use it, you lose it.
:vince:

---

I just got baby's first (and probably last) EM4 kill.

holy poo poo piss

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Guilty posted:

If you have the blood to invest, the hidden spear aspect is actually not the worst, but it involves almost never actually using the charge up attack. Basically you can use it when enemies are spawning in or boss phase changes, and other than that its a trap. However, the special is pretty amazing. It doesn't have the "hit the button to recall" thing (so you can use attack right away after using it), and it pierces enemies, and does 45 base damage (base spear throw is 25). If you're on a high heat, the armor shredding hammer is amazing (+400% on special), and the charged special is pretty good if you can get used to it.

I'd recommend demeter as a high heat option, as she has a good damage multiplier and the chill effect will make normal rooms a lot easier to manage. She has some additional boons that are solid, such as more dmg/def when no cast gems, decay on enemies when all chilled, and her legendary is effectively "enemies have 10% less hp". A low key additional benefit is all of those can't be upgraded from poms, letting you funnel them towards boosting your special easier.

Athena makes a good combo, deflects on dash/attack is a solid survivability aspect that also can do good damage against some enemies. The demeter/athena duo boon (as long as you haven't foolishly tanked *all* of your healing ability) is pretty useful with the stubborn defiance mirror option, I've had it save a few runs before. If you can leverage it, the exposed debuff is a solid damage boost.

Artemis would be the other god I'd keep an eye out for, her cast/call do really solid damage with only just a little pom investment and are extremely reliable for your output. The athena duo boon is excellent for giving you crit to non-artemis stuff, and hunters mark is low key really good at helping to clear rooms. In general she's a good god to boost damage output since she has a lot of low investment boons and a lot of stuff that applies to anything you do.

Mirror wise I'd recommend taking family favorite over privledge status for this, since trying to get that double status effect and play safe is fairly hard. I prefer dark foresight over olympian favor usually (more in-run useful rooms I feel shakes out better than slightly better boons). God's pride/god's legacy entirely is about if you want to see duo/legendary boons for this setup or not. If those are a "nice extra" I'd probably take the epic option as its a decent increase in power for most boons, but the other option makes it a lot more reasonable to see a duo/legendary if your build really wants it.

You should 99% of the time take fated persuasion (reroll boons/shops), outside of some edge case things its basically always the better option.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ok I took the tips you all gave me and tried three times and each time died on the second version of Hades in around 25, min, all three tries with Eris rail, so I consider this a massive improvement. My previous tries we're around 45 min/60 min to reach Elysium boss which was just awful. Tomorrow I'll try to slow it down a bit and see if I can't finally nail this hurdle. Thanks for the tips!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think my overall issue with Elysium isn't that it's necessarily hard (though I feel like it is a bigger leap going Asraphel->Elysium than Tartarus->Asraphel is), it is more that it just takes too long. I don't mind enemies being deadly, but they also just take forever to die, then half the enemies you have to kill a second time. And I swear some of these rooms have 4 or 5 waves of enemies. It's just loving fatiguing.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I just had the weirdest Fists run where I was about to to just let myself die because of abysmal, mismatching boons but then all of a sudden I got attack speed%, that thing that shoots missiles everything you do and crit. Not over until it's over I guess, I like the fact that a run can be somewhat salvaged even near the end with some luck.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

On top of all the other little details in this game, I just noticed today that every keepsake has a unique sound effect when you select it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Out on the surface having the time of my life fishing with my dad. Hes just offscreen, fishing too :)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Sailor Viy posted:

On top of all the other little details in this game, I just noticed today that every keepsake has a unique sound effect when you select it.

Half the reason I love the Acorn is hearing Eurydice sing when I get hit.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Took chiron bow and was bummed I didn’t get either of the special hammers...but I did get flurry shot, so I took dio attack, aphrodite cast (with extended duration), and artemis special. Rolled heart rend, splitting headache, and low tolerance.

Had just a little set up time but would absolutely rip dudes apart.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

fool of sound posted:

Spear probably has the worst damage output in the game. Hades spear with a heavy artemis build (preferably with athena or aphrodite duo) is solid, but it's never going to put out the absolutely bonkers damage you can manage on some other weapons. Achilles spear is rarely going to outperform Poseidon sword as a casting weapon unless you're getting ares/artemis, demeter/artemis, or dionysus/zeus duo casts. The hidden spear aspect is honestly bad; it's improvements don't justify a 50% hp penalty.

Yeah, I'm trying to get the last spear daedalus upgrade for the prophecy and the spear is just not fun to play after playing cool stuff like the hidden aspect bow and sword. It just doesn't have enough damage in it.

I really, really wish you could reroll Daed upgrades.

Random question: What's the trigger for the Hypnos bond? I have zero clue and he has absolutely nothing to say to me right now. I have bonds on pretty much everyone.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dragongem posted:

Random question: What's the trigger for the Hypnos bond? I have zero clue and he has absolutely nothing to say to me right now. I have bonds on pretty much everyone.

You apparently have to have specific conversations trigger between Hypnos and Thanatos and there's no way to make it happen yourself. So just keep playing and hope you get it - I also have everyone else's bonds but not his.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Can we talk about how the Daddest thing about Hades is that he turned his mustache into a logo?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gods Legacy or Gods Pride?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Gods Legacy or Gods Pride?

I prefer Pride just cause it makes it more likely that the basic elements of your build are good, but if you are playing a weapon that really needs a duo boon to come online, like Achilles Spear, Legacy is probs better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm yet to get a clear with the sword, shield or fists. What are the recommended go-tos for the close range set of weapons? Poseidon / Dio everything?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dragongem posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to get the last spear daedalus upgrade for the prophecy and the spear is just not fun to play after playing cool stuff like the hidden aspect bow and sword. It just doesn't have enough damage in it.

Yeah, the spear really either should have either a base damage upgrade or faster animations/charge time. As it stands it's an unhappy medium between the fast melee weapons and the ranged weapons.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

well why not posted:

I'm yet to get a clear with the sword, shield or fists. What are the recommended go-tos for the close range set of weapons? Poseidon / Dio everything?

For fists, I recommend Zeus or Dionysus for the attack if you can get it (Demeter is decent too), and anything with a high percentage for the special (or Ares). You're going to be dashing through enemies frequently so Athena dash with exposed upgrade or Zeus dash with anything that gives you more lightning is great. Remember that the special has a deceptively large aoe on it, but also has a long recovery time compared to punching, though Athena makes it fairly safe. Grab Colossus Fist if you see it: it's more or less permanent 30% damage reduction; stack with Myrmidon Bracer and laugh as attacks do half damage.

Sword is pretty similar to fists in a lot of ways and most of this advice applies there too, except percentage buffs are fine on attack cause it's slower and hits a bit harder. Grab a level of Nemesis aspect, it's a substantial buff even at level 1 and doesn't really change playstyle.

Both fists and sword really benefit from extra dashes or sprint after dash from hermes.

For shield: unless you have a maxed out aspect, flat damage boons are the name of the game. Get ares or zeus on the special and focus on dodging while keeping doom/jolted applied for a slow but easy clear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

well why not posted:

another example of "everyone has different weapons they like" because the fists are my favorite weapon lol

any god that gives an attack boon that benefits from rapid strikes owns for fists, you can get a clear with Poseidon Sword by just going Maximum Cast, for which Artemis is a good pick

if you feel lazy enough a clear with shield is trivial because you can totally no-sell any attacks from the direction you're pointing when charging up bull rush, or if you have my sort of playstyle it benefits from dash attacks

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah demeter fists are my favorite weapon. Unloading a charged super cutter with artemis boons into extreme final boss for a third of a bar feels great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I DID IT Y'ALL

I think this was run #26.

Just really had everything go right this run. Got Flurry Shot early. Got a billion loving damage ups. Then had the Poseidon attack + the Rupture boon + the slam damage boon. Nothing could get near me as they all just kept getting nailed to walls.

Made it all the way to Hades' second form before I burned a Death Defiance, he almost made me burn a second. But I didn't even need that.

Bosses loving MELTED.

I also had insane health because I had the Dionysus boon that gives health when you get a nector.

Oh, and I also caught two legendary fish on the run too (Stonewhal and Scyllascion)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Congratulations, and enjoy the new game mechanics! As mortals do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

El Fideo posted:

Can we talk about how the Daddest thing about Hades is that he turned his mustache into a logo?

He accidentally dipped it in his inkwell and after cleaning the excess off with parchment thought it looked pretty choice.

I like how the only god who comments on you skipping their dialogue is Hermes but he understands you're in a hurry.