Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
TMS is funny to me in that it feels like a B-grade Persona knockoff made by another company, in spite of being made by Atlus themselves.
It's a decent game though, but not all that memorable in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

TMS is the Persona where every party member is part of the Japanese idol industry and the personas are Fire Emblem characters from the 1st and 13th games only. I think the biggest flaws are that you can't get new personas for the MC and it wasn't given an English VO so all the songs are in Japanese. It's one of my favorite modern RPGs and I bought it for both systems.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Only having Shadow Dragon and Awakening, and hell, having the majority of it being Shadow Dragon was so disappointing, that approach carried on to Warriors too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Only having Shadow Dragon and Awakening, and hell, having the majority of it being Shadow Dragon was so disappointing, that approach carried on to Warriors too.
There are explicit reasons for why that happened, in both games. All Warriors games usually take the safe approach and only put in the most well-known or recent titles (which at the time, was Awakening and Fates in the case of Fire Emblem, coupled with Marth's games being the first in the series + Lyn and Celica thrown as well). It's only if the first game does well enough do Koei-Tecmo open the floodgates and let nearly every drat thing in the door for sequels (see: the Gundam Warriors games, for example). Unfortunately, no word has been said on whether or not a FE Warriors 2 is even being considered, so...yeah.

As for TMS, the reason the cast list is so limited is tied into the game's plot: Not only is Tiki a major character (who thus appeared in Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, and Awakening), but your final bosses are none other than Gharnef and Medeus, just like in Marth's games.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also if they did a broad representation then at minimum they would have to include every lord. Not counting remakes that's still 15 characters the majority of which only use swords and outside of the Fates and Awakening crew are virtual unknowns to the majority of the Western market.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bold of you to say 'they'd have to include unpopular characters' when one of the characters they brought in is Draug.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hellioning posted:

Bold of you to say 'they'd have to include unpopular characters' when one of the characters they brought in is Draug.

Draug is oddly very popular in Japan

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I didn't say unpopular, I said unknown. Shadow Dragon reached #2 on the DS in 2013 and sold ~600,000 worldwide. It was the 3rd highest grossing FE at the time of release. It's not unreasonable for the average player to have an idea who Draug is in 2016 on a FE themed Persona game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
BOO, ARCHANEA! BOO!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AradoBalanga posted:

There are explicit reasons for why that happened, in both games. All Warriors games usually take the safe approach and only put in the most well-known or recent titles (which at the time, was Awakening and Fates in the case of Fire Emblem, coupled with Marth's games being the first in the series + Lyn and Celica thrown as well). It's only if the first game does well enough do Koei-Tecmo open the floodgates and let nearly every drat thing in the door for sequels (see: the Gundam Warriors games, for example). Unfortunately, no word has been said on whether or not a FE Warriors 2 is even being considered, so...yeah.

Which is a big part of why Hyrule Warriors worked well, I think. Zelda is really suited to some wide, shallow cuts, so they could already get a decent distance with just the original game's reach of 'OoT, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword', and then once they got clearance to do DLCs it was really natural to get all-stars from other games, because they know which ones are the big favorites.

Fire Emblem is hard in comparison. After hitting up the original and the most recently popular... well, where do you go from there, what's your first stop? Go for the Smash Bros appeal and get Roy and Ike? Go for someone like Lyn and hope that's a cult hit with some money in it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

almost as dumb as people getting really mad at Makoto wanting to be an generic FOR JUSTICE anime cop because cops in real life are trash.

Cops are also trash in the story the game is telling is kind of the issue, but nice try.

As are the politicians, and the prosecutors, and basically anyone with any bit of power over the downtrodden. That's kind of the.....entire point.

Even in the true ending you're still constantly being tailed by, and thus are under the thumb of, the police.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Fire Emblem is hard in comparison. After hitting up the original and the most recently popular... well, where do you go from there, what's your first stop? Go for the Smash Bros appeal and get Roy and Ike? Go for someone like Lyn and hope that's a cult hit with some money in it?

cult hit? lyn's one of the most popular characters in the series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
tbf to Cleretic, they probably meant "in Japan".

Which is still bullshit because Lyn is still stupidly popular, even if said popularity is probably bigger with "older" Fire Emblem fans.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Inflammatory posted:

cult hit? lyn's one of the most popular characters in the series.

Okay, but what about the rest of her game? I mentioned individual characters, but you can't make a Warriors DLC out of a single character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hector is like stupidly popular, what are you talking about

Like almost everyone from blazing sword is super popular

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Intelligent Systems is constantly baffled by their fanbase. They didn't understand why Awakening was such a hit which is why Fates is such a mess. They were surprised when Lyn won the CYL poll over Lucina. That was in 2017 btw when Warriors was already in development which is why Lyn was DLC. They didn't know at the time how popular Lyn is.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Lyn wasn't DLC, though she was post-story content.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I forgot honestly. It's been a while. Wasn't she included in an update?

Either way it's almost surprising that Fire Emblem is surging in popularity since IS seems to completely drop the ball on what works and why.

quote:

"We did not expect Lyn to get first place. We knew that Lucina was very popular, but we never expected Lucina to lose to Lyn. One other thing we noticed is that characters from the Game Boy Advance era tended to be popular, and that was a little unexpected. Also, because the final results were a little unexpected, it also meant that development for the Choose Your Legends characters took a bit more time than expected."

That's from an interview with Touch Arcade in 2017. It's baffling how ignorant the teams there can be.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 25, 2020

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Man-In-Madden posted:

What’s the word on TMS anyway? Even as a huge SMT fan I keep forgetting that game exists and for that price I might just finally pick it up.

I'm not a fan of Japanese pop music, idols, or Fire Emblem. I loved TMS and thought it was worth it at full price, though be aware it is far more like Persona rather than mainline SMT. As an aside, as someone who grew up in LA, it was weird seeing young people succeeding in the entertainment industry.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cleretic posted:

Okay, but what about the rest of her game? I mentioned individual characters, but you can't make a Warriors DLC out of a single character.

Each DLC for Warriors was three characters, so in the event Blazing Blade got DLC without Lyn being baked in then her, Eliwood and Hector would have worked perfectly fine, assuming you wanted the three to have something to do with each-other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would have been Lyn, Flornia and Hector for maximum love triangle.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

It would have been Lyn, Flornia and Hector for maximum love triangle.

Don’t remember that triangle attack strategy but you have my attention :haw:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For real, Lyn is hella popular. Hector is so popular that people have continuously misread his loving character arc despite having the subtlety of a Final-Fight barbecue powerup. Hell, even Eliwood is popular, despite having some of the blandness that his son has (he makes up for it thanks to his Bill & Ted-esque relationship with the two aforementioned Lords).

By the time Warriors was being developed, FE had already gone through the big-rear end revival and re-igniting the interest of previous titles. OmegaForce, Team Ninja, Koei-Tecmo and IntSys could've had their collective big-rear end pie and eaten it too. The biggest crime Warriors committed was not including L'Arachel.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Wark Say posted:

Hector is so popular that people have continuously misread his loving character arc despite having the subtlety of a Final-Fight barbecue powerup.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to parse this sentence.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tergaso posted:

I'm not a fan of Japanese pop music, idols, or Fire Emblem. I loved TMS and thought it was worth it at full price, though be aware it is far more like Persona rather than mainline SMT. As an aside, as someone who grew up in LA, it was weird seeing young people succeeding in the entertainment industry.

Yeah that’s my take minus the growing up in LA. Just Vancouver, so same.

But yeah, I really enjoyed TMS, it didn’t overstay its welcome, the mechanics were fun, a little deep but not obscure. It respected my time. I’ve never had a mainline SMT game - I actually bought a switch near launch cause I enjoyed P4 & P5 enough that I was excited for the new SMT and thought it’s be out shortly. Lol. Anyway, TMS had its issues, the setting is aging awkwardly, but it’s a drat good game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

I have no idea how I'm supposed to parse this sentence.
He's kinda misunderstood as a lord. I just wanted to make a reference to the life-recovering items on esteemed old-school beat-em-up Final Fight because it took me like half an hour to find good and clear screenshots of 'em. :v:

Here's a pizza:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I mean I figured through context clues that the barbecue was a particularly unsubtle powerup. It was more the “Hector is so popular that people constantly get his character arc wrong” that was confusing me, I don’t get how those two thoughts are connected.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Snake Maze posted:

I mean I figured through context clues that the barbecue was a particularly unsubtle powerup. It was more the “Hector is so popular that people constantly get his character arc wrong” that was confusing me, I don’t get how those two thoughts are connected.

I don't even know which one Hector is, but I can buy it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

God drat how did Fire Emblem talk take over this thread? Maybe we should move to one of the Fire Emblem megathreads?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, sorry. You're right I shoulda been more specific: Like that whole "Wow, cool robot!" meme thing, but for a character instead of a work as a whole.

I should probably get some rest. Anyway yeah, TMS #FE Encore is fun and if you can play it, that's rad. The whole entertainment business thing is kinda weird, but they still make the most of it and I actually enjoyed most of the characters.

Also, I can't wait for more SMTV.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I'm as culpable as anyone, so yeah

TMS is the best exclusive RPG on Nintendo consoles, and is pretty drat good in it's own right. It's like a light-hearted Persona and isn't 100+ hours. And I like the pop songs.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
and tbf while the idol business is definitely a focal point of the game, only two of the characters are actually idols. the rest of the party is an aspiring sentai actor, a cooking show host/enka singer, and two film actors.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cops are also trash in the story the game is telling is kind of the issue, but nice try.

As are the politicians, and the prosecutors, and basically anyone with any bit of power over the downtrodden. That's kind of the.....entire point.

Even in the true ending you're still constantly being tailed by, and thus are under the thumb of, the police.

All cops are indeed bastards but in the case of P5 I think Makoto very specifically states that she wants to get into the field so she can change that from the inside. I'll grant you it's been awhile since I played P5 and I might be misremembering but she frequently places no trust in The System to actually do justice for anyone. I think it works from this angle because Makoto is exactly the kind of hard-headed stubborn bitch to immediately start telling everyone in her new career that they are poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Remember that the Phantom Thieves are, at the end of the day, lovely teens in a myriad of ways. Makoto's made the wrong career choice, but it's because she's a lovely teen, and she'll grow out of that and hopefully into being a productive member of society.

Out of all the Cop Teens in recent Personas, I think Makoto is the most likely to leave being a cop behind and find a better way pretty fast. Naoto's probably gonna break off and be a private eye eventually too, but that'll be more gradual disillusionment rather than direct objections.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m playing Yakuza like a Dragon now and this is the adult persona I always wanted. It’s really great. Did some of the persona team work on it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They probably would have made the combat more interesting if they had.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Remember that the Phantom Thieves are, at the end of the day, lovely teens in a myriad of ways. Makoto's made the wrong career choice, but it's because she's a lovely teen, and she'll grow out of that and hopefully into being a productive member of society.

Out of all the Cop Teens in recent Personas, I think Makoto is the most likely to leave being a cop behind and find a better way pretty fast. Naoto's probably gonna break off and be a private eye eventually too, but that'll be more gradual disillusionment rather than direct objections.

Yeah this is a good angle to read it from too. All the Persona cast are pretty good noodles.

I can imagine Chie getting fired for not playing ball with the bullshit cop politics and not allowing fellow officers to be shitheads.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
These games are fantasies, and part of that fantasy is "not all cops are evil"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Did we play the same intro to Persona 5? Cause I think it's established pretty much immediately that that's not the case in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I was more thinking of 2, 3 & 4

Edit: also Makoto's dad apparently was "a good cop"