Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that someone who's gained popularity due to a anime memes just signals that it is so early on in the election cycle that voter preferences are solely based on familiarity and nothing else at this point.

your avatar is *fantastic* given the topic of discussion btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
seems like the way to stop her being popular is pointing out she was actually doing this

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Naruto is bad and therefore she is bad. If it were one piece however,

i've already bought the Chilean Communist Party a boxset of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, idk why they haven't watched it yet

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

i've already bought the Chilean Communist Party a boxset of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, idk why they haven't watched it yet

if jadue can do the cherry tongue licking thing he will bring communism to all of south america

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Likely saw the first part is about English nobility and didn't bother with the rest alas

Nim_Chimsky
Mar 23, 2019

OFFICIAL SKELETON
WAR PARTICIPANT

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

US missionaries have specifically focused on Guatemala and Brazil but they're everywhere. turns out people are open to alternatives when they're desperate, the church is corrupt, and the government offers nothing. that's a reason why they haven't been as successful in Bolivia

This. I had an old (American) high school friend who was a missionary in UKRAINE and Costa Rica. lol

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
quoting myself since some folks appear under the impression that Jiles gained notoriety (in Chile) for Naruto-running.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Just to clear things up, Pamela Jiles has been a relatively well-known media figure for a pretty long while, though certainly not for any kind of meaningful activism. Most chileans probably know her best for her long stint in a celebrity gossip show (I think she did do some actual journalism in the 90s-early 00s). Either way, she's been trying pretty hard to court the youth vote (the Naruto run, she calls her followers "nietitos", etc), which appears to be working out for her, I guess. Chilean polls are pretty jumpy in the earliest stages of a presidential race (I'm pretty sure Leonardo Farkas, who has never even shown interest in running for president, has scored 2nd or 3rd in early polls for the last few elections), so it's yet to be seen if she'll manage to retain those numbers on the way to the primaries - if there even is a primary this time? I'm not even sure if she's currently part of the Humanist Party, which is imploding, and is withdrawing from the FA, which is also imploding, and is withdrawing from a broad opposition pact with the smoldering remains of the Concerta/NM parties, which are also imploding.

You can check her wiki page (the spanish version, there's not much in english) to get the basic gist of her. She's kind of an odd one - for a journalist of her generation, starting your career in APSI and Análisis (which were the leading voices of journalistic opposition to the dictatorship operating within Chile) was as close as you could get to a baptism by fire, but she moved to TVN (chilean state-owned TV station) in 1989, when it was still technically Pinochet's official propaganda outlet. In the 90's she worked in Informe Especial (an investigative journalism show), and was later fired from TVN (by Sebastián Piñera's brother, then head of the Press department) due to workplace drama. She was later recruited by Sebastián Piñera himself to be part of SQP, a celebrity gossip show (think TMZ). AFAIK, the idea behind hiring her was to have her as a publicly leftist counterbalance to co-host Patty Maldonado (possibly the most visible face of Pinochet apologism in the country). Jiles left the Communist Party of Chile around this time, and became a member of the Humanist Party (PH - a largely irrelevant left-wing party). She still occasionally did some writing in satirical left-wing paper The Clinic and other publications, but by and large the vast majority of chileans associate her with her work in SQP. She made a brief presidential bid in 2009 which was largely considered a publicity stunt, and was finally elected to congress on 2017 after the PH joined the Frente Amplio, a left-wing coalition borne mainly of student unions from the mid-10's student protests. IIRC she pretty much single-handedly made the PH collapse as soon as she took office due to some stupid drama over comittee seats and coalition membership that she flouted, causing the party to effectively implode over petty infighting, which I don't really mind because tbh the PH is kinda cult-ish so lmao good for her i guess. But she's also been getting into spats with a bunch of Frente Amplio figures(which is par for the course since that dumbshit coalition has been a 24/7 drama fest since the day it was created), former Concerta/NM people, and pretty much anyone else. It's never good spats either, just the same kind of petty, pointless bullshit folks have come to expect from the FA in general, "celebrity politicians" broadly and from Jiles specifically.

As far as her rap sheet in parliament goes, her main achievement, other than the Naruto Run, is the law during which said run took place, the allowing of a withdrawal of up to 10% from (private) pension funds for every chilean with a pension account. This was a proposal that polled huge levels of popular support, though this was less due to anybody thinking it was an excellent idea, and more out of desperation due to woefully inadequate pandemic aid, and general ire against the heavy restrictions that private pension funds operate under, despite the rhetoric of it being "your money", and its passing was seen as a huge blow against the powerful pension manager lobby (and against the government). A second 10% withdrawal was passed in Congress just the other day with Jiles as its main sponsor. While both of these withdrawals were met with popular approval and were seen as major wins for the opposition (they managed to pass with a sizeable amount of votes from the right both times, which has sent Piñera's coalition into further disarray), it's still kind of a stretch to consider it as a victory of The Left(tm), since at the end of the day it's still using chileans' personal savings as COVID relief rather than fighting harder for public aid. Jiles herself is also pretty divisive - she's gotten some flak by voting in lockstep with the right on a handful of issues - voting down marijuana legalization, voting down more favorable conditions for constituent assembly candidates with no party affiliation, etc; but others see the passage of the pension withdrawal bills as signs that she could get more important legislation passed.

Overall, Jiles has largely been a professional shitposter for most of her career. Politically she mainly strikes me as a weathervane and a spotlight chaser with vague leftist ideals, but this makes her no different than (almost) any possible alternative among the left. If it comes to a primary, I'd still prefer someone like Jadue (if there are no better options available), who unlike Jiles might actually run a campaign on policies, but a loud famous rear end in a top hat like Jiles might do a better job of getting new voters to the polls against a golly-gee-shucks type like Lavín (who appears to be the only viable option among the right wing). Both Jadue and Jiles would face serious handicaps getting anything passed through congress if they were elected, but as of right now Jadue strikes me as slightly more likely to form a broader coalition (since the Communist Party was a relatively functional part of the NM before it imploded, is slightly less loathed by the FA than other ex-Concerta parties, and Jadue himself hasn't been getting into stupid slapfights with the rest of the left since day one).

TL;DR - If you're under the impression that there's something deeper to Jiles than the Naruto run, some kind of undiscovered marxist mastermind - ehh, no, there probably isn't. If you're under the impression that we can do any better than her - ehhhhhh idk lol. Dehumanize yourself and face to Naruto.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This is all working under the assumption that the left will somehow manage to agree to a larger primary and present a single candidate, otherwise they might as well end up losing the first round to some shithead like Parisi lmao

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why don't Chileans get rid of the office of the president in the constitutional convention? Technically everything is on the table. I also don't understand why most Latin American countries keep the Presidential. I recall that Brazil was supposed to abolish the presidency after the transition to civilian rule.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
While a parliamentary system of government would make some level of sense considering some aspects of our particular brand of nonsense, it'd be a hard sell, since Congress overall is absolutely loathed by the Chilean populace at large (its approval rate has barely been any better than Piñera's even at his lowest point) and has pretty consistently polled as the most despised public institution for decades, and there's also the precedent of the "Parliamentary Period" of the late 19th-early 20th centuries, which is generally seem as a pretty low point in the nation's history. Granted, the parliamentary period wasn't actually a parliamentary system, just a semi-presidential one with greatly diminished checks and balances of the executive against the legislative (as the aftermath of the 1891 Civil War which pitted the president against Congress), but that's still what most people jump to when the possibility is floated. I do believe that things might eventually skew at least partially in that direction, since the current presidential system was designed along with an electoral model that favored two political blocs, but now the possibility of any president in the immediate future having a majority in Congress seems increasingly slimmer.

Still, while I don't recall it being brought up in public discourse lately, it might come up once the constituent assembly gets started, along with things like an unicameral legislative.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The candidate most likely to establish a Department of Silly Walks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The real question is what is the best candidate to get around the Biden administration...they are coming.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ardennes posted:

The real question is what is the best candidate to get around the Biden administration...they are coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5c1FuLDd4

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

I recall that Brazil was supposed to abolish the presidency after the transition to civilian rule

it was one of the proposals to the new constitutional assembly back then, to consider the possibility of a parliamentary system. It was handily shot down and with reason because, in Latin America, the legislative is the de facto body representative of the caudillo class and its derivatives which historically do not act towards nation building

if Brazil didn't have a presidency we would be far more decentralized for the worse, not for the better. Brazil only manages to have a stature of relative strength and economic capability among the G20 because of the strength of the Union, and Bolsonaro is proving to be quite the argument for how important it is in regards to national policy

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it was one of the proposals to the new constitutional assembly back then, to consider the possibility of a parliamentary system. It was handily shot down and with reason because, in Latin America, the legislative is the de facto body representative of the caudillo class and its derivatives which historically do not act towards nation building

if Brazil didn't have a presidency we would be far more decentralized for the worse, not for the better. Brazil only manages to have a stature of relative strength and economic capability among the G20 because of the strength of the Union, and Bolsonaro is proving to be quite the argument for how important it is in regards to national policy

We voted not only on presidentialism versus parliamentarism, but also monarchy versus republic.

And yeah, parliamentarism would have been a shitshow in Brazil. PT is still the largest party in congress and they have slightly more than 10% of the seats.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I assume Maradona passing away is subject matter for this thread, given his influence as a figure even outside of Futebol:

https://twitter.com/teleSURtv/status/1331634639392419843

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

god loving drat it

Maradona is dead

e:f,b

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

I assume Maradona passing away is subject matter for this thread, given his influence as a figure even outside of Futebol:

https://twitter.com/teleSURtv/status/1331634639392419843

Same day of the year as Fidel.

Maradona es mas grande que Pele.

https://twitter.com/clebiojr/status/1329779992532803586

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

joepinetree posted:

"Pelé might be better than Maradona, but Diego Armando is better than Edson Arantes"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I blame arfjason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

joepinetree posted:

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1331638348620980224?s=20

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
:(
https://twitter.com/elmundotoday/status/1331640917888000002?s=19

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

maradona es mejor que pele

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am legit sad. :(

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1331649722059251714

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

joepinetree posted:

https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1331660388111441926

Love was mutual.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

for gently caress's sake

None of those show match ups against Jadue, who iirc is super popular

he's still in right?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
guess he finally found the 100% sure way to dodge taxes, paternity suits, and domestic abuse allegations

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol at the dig at Argentinians in the headline

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

guess he finally found the 100% sure way to dodge taxes, paternity suits, and domestic abuse allegations

this is not meant for you, but I find it opportune

there is still going to be the day where the measure of somebody is going to be understood considering both figure and character as within the same person but apart from each other, we will move past liberal moralism and that will be a happy day

Maradona the player was an absolutely heroic character, given how much prejudice and disgrace he suffered for being who he was. But hey, I am Brazilian and I am not going to be the one to try to school about Maradona to Argentinians (because holy poo poo lmao), I just agree with Eduardo Galeano that, in his case, Maradona often challenged people in power wherever he went, whether that was Buenos Aires, Napoli or Barcelona, and that he made a lot of enemies as result. Hell, after he went to Napoli and they kicked the rear end of the northern teams, the sporting press of Turin, Milan and Genoa was basically screaming almost every week how much of a loving cocaine addict he was and publishing whatever allegation of misbehavior came across their desks lol

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think it's fair to say Maradona had a lot of problems, but also I trust Maradona's politics and roots far more than most footballers, or liberal politicians for that matter.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this is not meant for you, but I find it opportune

there is still going to be the day where the measure of somebody is going to be understood considering both figure and character as within the same person but apart from each other, we will move past liberal moralism and that will be a happy day

Maradona the player was an absolutely heroic character, given how much prejudice and disgrace he suffered for being who he was. But hey, I am Brazilian and I am not going to be the one to try to school about Maradona to Argentinians (because holy poo poo lmao), I just agree with Eduardo Galeano that, in his case, Maradona often challenged people in power wherever he went, whether that was Buenos Aires, Napoli or Barcelona, and that he made a lot of enemies as result. Hell, after he went to Napoli and they kicked the rear end of the northern teams, the sporting press of Turin, Milan and Genoa was basically screaming almost every week how much of a loving cocaine addict he was and publishing whatever allegation of misbehavior came across their desks lol
When you say he often challenged people in power wherever he went do you mean

a) people who thinking doping in sports isn't cool,
b) people who think that filthy rich people should pay taxes,
c) the various women in his life who alleged that he was abusive, including at least one example where its on film,
d) the children he refused to recognise, even being forced by the courts to take a paternity test?

I don't know what they said in the Genovese dailies and I don't see why it matters. I think its extremely sad that this person is held up as such a celebrated figure by so many. I don't think anyone can deny that he was an incredible talent on the pitch, but so much of what he did off it is more than lamentable, and in many cases should be actively denounced. I personally think it speaks poorly on the politicians who were so eager to be seen with him. People are flawed, surely, but Maradona also clearly made no effort to better himself as a person along the course of his life (if anything, his behaviour seems to have gotten worse the older he got). When I see a picture of Fidel with Maradona I don't think its funny, I think its sad

On 25th November, International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the Argentine Ministry for Women, Gender, and Diversity put a black ribbon of mourning on their avatar on social media because Maradona, a literal recorded wife-beater, died. The ribbon was uploaded in line with the social media update for all other state entities, following the declaration of three days of mourning for Maradona by the president. I sadly cannot think of a better summary for the priorities in this country right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/PatricioBarton/status/1331646018329382912

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
people who care about doping in sports are idiot pearl clutchers tho

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

agreed, hence why i put them first in the little list I posted

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/BarbraNoworries/status/1331649809036537859

https://twitter.com/BarbraNoworries/status/1331694336526995458

lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

When you say he often challenged people in power wherever he went do you mean

a) people who thinking doping in sports isn't cool,
b) people who think that filthy rich people should pay taxes,
c) the various women in his life who alleged that he was abusive, including at least one example where its on film,
d) the children he refused to recognise, even being forced by the courts to take a paternity test?

I don't know what they said in the Genovese dailies and I don't see why it matters. I think its extremely sad that this person is held up as such a celebrated figure by so many. I don't think anyone can deny that he was an incredible talent on the pitch, but so much of what he did off it is more than lamentable, and in many cases should be actively denounced. I personally think it speaks poorly on the politicians who were so eager to be seen with him. People are flawed, surely, but Maradona also clearly made no effort to better himself as a person along the course of his life (if anything, his behaviour seems to have gotten worse the older he got). When I see a picture of Fidel with Maradona I don't think its funny, I think its sad

On 25th November, International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the Argentine Ministry for Women, Gender, and Diversity put a black ribbon of mourning on their avatar on social media because Maradona, a literal recorded wife-beater, died. The ribbon was uploaded in line with the social media update for all other state entities, following the declaration of three days of mourning for Maradona by the president. I sadly cannot think of a better summary for the priorities in this country right now.

shut da gently caress up

rip maradona

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

he's among the best soccer players of all time which rules, and he actually had good politics which is cool as hell. sure his personal life might have been total poo poo but good luck screaming into the void about it. kobe's death has shown us pretty concretely that you'll just be wasting your breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1332132482251108352