Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thoatse posted:

Fidelity squirrel ate too many fermented fidelity pears

https://i.imgur.com/DCMcsoi.mp4

..whom amongst us

Please know that I love your posts so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Also I can't help but notice that they are making this amazing announcement about Turbulent the day after they finish selling all of the limited-edition thousand-plus-dollar whale chariots. Just in case.

Nah, the sale is still on and the biggest day (the "best in show" day) is in a week.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey does anybody have that clip of the guy who was almost out of jail and fell through the hole in the stairs?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Nah, the sale is still on and the biggest day (the "best in show" day) is in a week.

The "Sale" is still ongoing but the big money limited-number Idris, Javelin and Kraken sales are all done now (I think). Everything else is just plebs shuffling store credit around.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hey does anybody have that clip of the guy who was almost out of jail and fell through the hole in the stairs?

Someone said that it was a trap stair, working as designed

Given how loving bad this game is, I can't tell if that's a joke

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BrotherJayne posted:

They are right.
Everything in this game is working.... as designed.

Which is not at all.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Titanic posted:

The genuine hard part would be the mmo piece.

Getting all this junk pulled together into a twitch shooter based mmo is a giant huge enormous problem that I'm not sure how anybody would handle.

Eve handles it with the time dilation bit, and it's not even a twitch based arcade shooter.

I just don't see how it can come together and work, and server meshing isn't going to magic it up either.

Time Dilation in EVE kicks in when you have somewhere between 300 and 3000 players engaging in the same system. How bad it is and how long it lasts depends on that population, and even without TiDi the fastest anything can happen in EvE is 1 second, cause that’s the server tick rate.

Point being, this clown show will never have the scale of EVE nor the performance of fortnite, it’s a graveyard of dreams for people who need to believe.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Clearly I REALLY don't understand game development.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Activision are probably wondering why they get so much poo poo for loot boxes at this point... 'you mean they'd pay $100 for a new gun??'

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
LIVE STATUS
Current Pledge Amount
$324,428,525

Current run of 3 days : ~ 4 Million Dollars. (was looking at the wrong month :smuggo:)

:rip:
Dr. Kyle Farnsworth ONE DOLLAR, no_recall!
Feindfeuer 317,850,025
NoMas 318,022,154
Tenzarin $318,061,024
RabbitWizard 318,234,567$
Kikas $318,345,792
Popete 318,500,001
The Titanic $319.424.424,42
RattiRatto 319,455,455$
Dwesa 319,519,865
TonyMcS $319,565,180
Differo Cathedra $319,590,008
Jack-Off Lantern 320,333,577
Pharnakes $320,420,420.69
trucutru $321,098,765.40
Thoatse $321,420,069
Thronde 321,540,247
Colostomy Bag $321,696,969
Cynic Jester $321,696,969.69
Jonny Shiloh $322,566,109
downout $322,999,999

e: wow this is strange.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 25, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Never doubt the enthusiasm of Citizens to throw money at this garbage pile.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
a guy I play another, better MMO with has been telling me how great Star Citizen is, and how it'll get even better once they implement server meshing and i-cache (??) and fix all these darn server problems

1. weren't they talking about server meshing _in 2017?_
2. it's still bad right

he hasn't been willing to tell me how much he backed for though

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
SSOCS was the last big ~tech~ that was going to really push Star Citizen forward. It came out and made no discernable difference so now it's iCache and server meshing. After that who knows, maybe Quasi Combinatorial tech?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Winter Stormer posted:

a guy I play another, better MMO with has been telling me how great Star Citizen is, and how it'll get even better once they implement server meshing and i-cache (??) and fix all these darn server problems

2. it's still bad right

Ask him if he's talking about dynamic server meshing or just a static tier 0 implementation where each server handles a different system. If he admits it's the later then act all amazed at their incredible technology and ask him to gift you an Idris.

Popete posted:

SSOCS was the last big ~tech~ that was going to really push Star Citizen forward. It came out and made no discernable difference so now it's iCache and server meshing. After that who knows, maybe Quasi Combinatorial tech?

Quanta system!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Winter Stormer posted:

2. it's still bad right

Star Citizen is great and now is the perfect time to get in- once they get the latest Jesus Tech implemented, everything's going to come flooding through the pipelines. 2021 is definitely the year that Star Citizen will be delivered! They, uh, don't actually have a roadmap beyond December 2020 anymore, but I feel good about this prediction. Buy in now- prices on spaceships only go up!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

For those of you just getting into Star Citizen please be aware of the following trouble areas with a higher-than-normal bug rate:

Logging in
Getting out of bed
Getting on or off of trains
Summoning elevators
Purchasing food for survival mechanics
Negotiating staircases
Climbing or descending ramps
Spawning your ship
Finding your ship
Entering your ship
Walking around your ship without randomly dying
Launching your ship from a closed hangar
Accepting missions
Traveling literally anywhere
Completing missions
Purchasing cargo
Selling cargo
Picking up individual boxes of cargo
Forming a group
Finding your group
Performing any sort of group activity whatsoever including standing motionlessly in someone else's spaceship
Staying connected to the game for longer than 15 minutes

Just avoid doing any of these and you, too, can have the time of your life in the BDSSE!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen is great and now is the perfect time to get in- once they get the latest Jesus Tech implemented, everything's going to come flooding through the pipelines. 2021 is definitely the year that Star Citizen will be delivered! They, uh, don't actually have a roadmap beyond December 2020 anymore, but I feel good about this prediction. Buy in now- prices on spaceships only go up!

Roadmaps ? Where we're going we don't need roadmaps !

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

For those of you just getting into Star Citizen please be aware of the following trouble areas with a higher-than-normal bug rate:

Logging in
Getting out of bed
Getting on or off of trains
Summoning elevators
Purchasing food for survival mechanics
Negotiating staircases
Climbing or descending ramps
Spawning your ship
Finding your ship
Entering your ship
Walking around your ship without randomly dying
Launching your ship from a closed hangar
Accepting missions
Traveling literally anywhere
Completing missions
Purchasing cargo
Selling cargo
Picking up individual boxes of cargo
Forming a group
Finding your group
Performing any sort of group activity whatsoever including standing motionlessly in someone else's spaceship
Staying connected to the game for longer than 15 minutes

Just avoid doing any of these and you, too, can have the time of your life in the BDSSE!

Yeah, but the store page remembers your credit card details!

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 25, 2020

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

It's not a Joke. After 15 minutes(if you know the route) of boring cave gameplay the final staircase has missing stairs to kill players that don't press the jump button.

15:40 if the timestamp doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z1BRv1Cq0&t=940s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kilus aof posted:

It's not a Joke. After 15 minutes(if you know the route) of boring cave gameplay the final staircase has missing stairs to kill players that don't press the jump button.

15:40 if the timestamp doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z1BRv1Cq0&t=940s

Some game designers border on intentionally malicious- Star Citizen's designers just say "gently caress it" and go all in. They really hate their players. Having met their players, I can't blame them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I guess the Magic Germans couldn't fix Star Citizen, now the Magic Canadians can have a try.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

I guess the Magic Germans couldn't fix Star Citizen, now the Magic Canadians can have a try.

They're already responsible for every last piece of actual working code related to SC, so it's a safer bet than most.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Yeah, but the store page remembers your credit card details!

Persistance is in!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Originally it was the United Nations of Earth, but that was replaced with the United Planets of Earth, which in turn got replaced with the United Empire of Earth. So they have chosen and approved that sort of name three times.

Remember that the UEE is a democratic empire (lol) with a term-limited Imperator (double lol)

I'll bet a good old-fashioned Stimpire is looking more and more reasonable... :colbert:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah. God knows where in the thread it is.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

https://twitter.com/bascule/status/1330914065368027144?s=20

someone built a portable version of the cockpit of the "simple" fighter ship

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro...0B5YWhvby5jb20=

INCLUDES:
Intel i9-8900x 400 core CPU
128GB RGB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1280 Ti Ancestor Edition
Cherry MX power supply
Loudspeakers with tiny confetti cannons
GSync caps lock AND num lock
Dual fuel auxilary power supply
IUV-RGB (Infrared, UV spectrum & RGB) lighting

was: $29,999.00
$29,998.00
Save: $1.00
(0.00003%)
Free Shipping

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Pfft, I knew it's April 1st joke when I saw "Gameplay from Star Citizen".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I was gonna do another stream of playing the SC free fly where I try to fly a ship... But I don't really want to. Can someone post an uninstall guide so I can be sure I get every trace of it off my system?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was gonna do another stream of playing the SC free fly where I try to fly a ship... But I don't really want to. Can someone post an uninstall guide so I can be sure I get every trace of it off my system?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lord Stimperor posted:

Please know that I love your posts so much

Thanks man, catspam is my favorite part of Start Citizen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah I see you had the traditional experience. :)

After doing everything, and ultimately some weird glitch or nuance or weirdness terminating your gameplay session... so you want to do it again?

It seems like for many that answer is "no". It's just not fun, the glitches aren't funny enough, the gameplay is super dull and very very convoluted.

It's one of those things where you can say "maybe everybody is wrong!" and go in to try it yourself (hopefully on a free fly thing, don't really buy anything), and give it a roll for like an hour.

For gameplay, the most damning part of it is you can see where they are aiming with it all kind of, but that direction is pure tedium and boring and empty and not remotely fun.

I'm not sure who the target audience may be anymore.

I'm looking forward to the character devastating "medical gameplay" loops to kick in so it also kicks all the role play people right in the face and people start to lose ships because they ran out of "lives" or something.

It seems like all of SC at its core is designed to hurt you, the player, just for wanting to play the game.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I set a Windows restore point before downloading the installer when I tried Star Citizen this weekend. I have to type up a report of all the fun I did not have playing it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Another bizzare wrinkle from a thread pointing out that female characters can't wear hoodies:

quote:

Not just hoodies, most clothes are not usable by females (just look at mining helmets in Lorville - they turn into the same beanie as every other hat). That's probably to do with them not having modeled said clothes for female characters yet. They've done so for the armor and a select few clothing pieces (such as the duster you can buy at grim hex), but as to the rest we only wait until they get around to it.

this is really strange to me. so for a shitton of clothes they...only did half the work by making male-only models? so most of the "finished" clothes aren't really finished? I guess I could see this for like a shirt or something, but why do women need a different helmet or hat model?

why would anyone do things this way?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Another bizzare wrinkle from a thread pointing out that female characters can't wear hoodies:

this is really strange to me. so for a shitton of clothes they...only did half the work by making male-only models? so most of the "finished" clothes aren't really finished? I guess I could see this for like a shirt or something, but why do women need a different helmet or hat model?

My guess - the female character models were added much later than the male, and the artists who were originally tasked with creating the male clothes have moved onto other things, either outside of CIG or within, and there's no financial incentive for them to go back and adapt all the clothing. Just like they have no reason to actually make all the really old ships they sold but never coded, or update all the old flyable ships with new mechanics (or fixes to ongoing issues).

The money's been made on those things. All the new money is in making new ships. Why would they do an iota more work on anything else?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Poor artists have to endure Chris' micromanagement for every piece of armor they make and now you want them to make more for females?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/cig_donna/status/1331509722311233536
https://twitter.com/brett_dunsmore/status/1331519353401921536

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I'll give them credit, progress is indeed about the same as it's ever been.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

The Titanic posted:

So in that way I have to admire CR and crew because they've really gone off the hinges when it comes to how much they deceive people and hide the truth. It really takes some kind of superhuman strength to be able to do that to so many people so carelessly. Kind of like a used car salesman selling a junker to somebody he knows really needs a car and can barely afford it, and buying it will likely cripple them permanently, but hey it's on them right?

F. Paarp Fitzgerald posted:

They were careless people, Chris and Sandi- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 25, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Since the pandemic started, I've done absolutely no useful work towards making a space sim. Am I eligible for back pay from CIG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

idiot question but I have to ask: what the gently caress is Turbulent

I didn't actually see an answer to this in among all the fidelitious dunking. It's a digital marketing agency that does cig's website. Their outsourcing the development to the web devs.