Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sets like the Stranger Things house or Voltron are great for multi person builds since the bags and instructions are separated component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
It's unfortunate that LEGO sets have such a long development cycle that the police station (if that's what it is) would have been decided before 2020, but they still would have had time to change or abandon it. I will be pretty disappointed if they just go for it anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hopper posted:

That would be so tone deaf I can't imagine ... oh wait, this year's advent calendar is cops and robbers themed, too.

It seems like every year the City advent calendar is cops and robbers themed?

Anyway, yeah, a police station is an easy skip.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In my experience, a multi-person build is always better when you are trading off rather than attempting to do things simultaneously. Some people don't enjoy building, but they do enjoy sorting the bags into the various types and colors. Or tackling a particular element, like doing an individual floor of a modular.

I found the water stage of Ninjago City to be therapeutic and zen as opposed to monotonous. In fact, seeing NC Docks and its similar water feature in 2019 was pretty much what inspired me to start balling out and spending big bucks on new Lego sets as an adult. I can't overstate how excited I am for the new one. The sets of my childhood simply had "blue baseplate" for water, so seeing something like that was kind of mindblowing and a signal for how far Lego had evolved since then.

Can't wait to see what else is coming! Colosseum is a no for me, but I echo everyone else regarding the bonsai tree.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

It seems like every year the City advent calendar is cops and robbers themed?

The last few years have been winter or Christmas themed builds plus a few other odds and ends.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Makes gardens of ninjago a much easier purchase at least.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

If it’s police station it will be my first skip since I started collecting modulars with the cinema.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My wife enjoyed the holiday train so much she told me she went to eBay and bought Santa's workshop. Well gosh that's nice I thought. Except it turns out she paid $250. I found a knock-off for $25. Seems like a huge waste of money when she doesn't care about collecting or resale value. I do hate to support Chinese knockoffs. What do you all usually do when there's a retired set you want? Just buy all the legit pieces individually from bricklink? Does that end up being much cheaper than eBay prices?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I don't have any interest in a police station as is, but I might get it if it could easily be reconfigured into a bar or coffee house or something. I'd like to do a modular scale moc building.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

davebo posted:

My wife enjoyed the holiday train so much she told me she went to eBay and bought Santa's workshop. Well gosh that's nice I thought. Except it turns out she paid $250. I found a knock-off for $25. Seems like a huge waste of money when she doesn't care about collecting or resale value. I do hate to support Chinese knockoffs. What do you all usually do when there's a retired set you want? Just buy all the legit pieces individually from bricklink? Does that end up being much cheaper than eBay prices?
It depends on the set but if there's an old set I REALLY want that bad, I'll suck it up and pay the price. My Haunted House was around ~350-400. If I was trying to, like, fill in a collection of Winter Village or modulars, I'd be tempted to go bootlego, but I probably would just not bother and collect something else, or MOC something to fill the void.

For $250, I hope it was NIB, by the way!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

davebo posted:

Buying individual pieces would be a nightmare. It is cheaper on bricklink. At least if you decide to sell it you can get the money back pretty easily.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Lol at it being a police station. If it is I will probably pass as well. I used to be dead set on having all of them till I realized that’s crazy person thinking. There’s no way for me to display them all and I’ve been trying to thin my collection anyway. I actually sold my fire station because I decided I didn’t like the look of it, and I’m passing on the corner garage for the same reason. If anyone remembers I like market street and have it displayed. That means I like market street more than corner garage and firehouse.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

First year doing this for the holidays. Loving it already.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hopper posted:

That would be so tone deaf I can't imagine ... oh wait, this year's advent calendar is cops and robbers themed, too.

Right. Cops never do anything good. They are all universally terrible. The world would be a better place without cops.
In addition, inspiring kids to be good cops some day is also horrible. And let’s not forget, Lego is a US company so it really should know better. Because the US is the whole world.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Fair point, however, as a global company and especially a toy company you have certain responsibilities. I know we live in a capitalistic hellscape but I like to think there are still some people who care in these companies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I seem to remember global protests? I don't think recognizing policing has reached a crisis point in more ways than one during the past year is confined to the United States by any means, there were numerous high-profile incidents of police brutality against marginalized communities in other countries during that period as well.

And while I understand there's a certain moral role we're supposed to vie for represented in the police officer, they have repeatedly failed as an institution to reach that standard. While massive protests over the death of George Floyd were erupting, I was treated to the information that the police in my hometown had caused the death of a Black man and tried to cover it up for MONTHS. So that's my community; the people my children are supposed to want to become like when they grow up are all complicit in a cover-up of assault and murder. By dint of wearing the uniform.

I'm sorry to get like this in a LEGO thread of all things but taking a year off from cops isn't a big ask when questions of authoritarian overreach hang heavy in air already virulent with a global pandemic

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Was there a new modular announcement?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Darth TNT posted:

Right. Cops never do anything good. They are all universally terrible. The world would be a better place without cops.
In addition, inspiring kids to be good cops some day is also horrible. And let’s not forget, Lego is a US company so it really should know better. Because the US is the whole world.

If you don't think Lego is constantly looking at the US you are seriously mistaken. Most of their products are based on US IPs. And even the stuff that isn't is often based on US stuff. Palace Cinema, Diner are both obviously based on US architecture. The list really goes on and on the more you want to look.

If a modular police station is really coming up it is incredibly tone deaf of them and will likely get a lot of pushback. It's the sort of thing that might only last a year before they pull it from shelves.

And yes, cops are universally terrible. And the world would be a better place without cops. You got some things correct in your horrible post.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Combatant posted:

Was there a new modular announcement?

Later this week. Some of the tags on the video suggested it'll be a police station.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Didn't Lego pull all police related sets for a month earlier this year?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Reminder that sets, themes etc. are decided far in advance and aren't a direct response to whatever is happening culturally in the US or abroad :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth TNT posted:

gently caress right off out of the lego thread with this

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
LEGO Cops: lurking, in the carpet, waiting to shoot you

Thanks for bringing politics to the Lego thred.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why not a community mental health centre modular? Just a bunch of regular people getting help.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Setting aside the fact that ACAB a police station is just loving boring. Give us an arcade, a record store, a bar - something fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spookydonut posted:

Why not a community mental health centre modular? Just a bunch of regular people getting help.

Honestly a modular hospital/medical centre would be nice.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Honestly it's pretty hosed up when you look at the City sets for the past however many years and the majority of them are police themed so that they can fit in a cops vs robbers thing that appeals to market research for little boys. I don't think that's LEGO establishing that trend, but it's pretty depressing to look at the City line versus the Friends line over the past, say, five years, and see how much more effort has been made on the Friends side to diversify what the sets are about. I really appreciate that the LEGO marketed to girls includes things like doctors and DJs (and dives!) and other types of careers and interests.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
insert mention of that article about how lego cities must be 90% police stations and prisons here

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feenix posted:

First year doing this for the holidays. Loving it already.

That looks really awesome! Did you use a lighting kit or made it yourself?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They grow up so fast. :unsmith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is... is that his mom?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I assume he’s just got together with someone a lot like his mother.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

She’s immortal.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Clearly it's a modern retelling of the King of Thebes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wasn't there like, a mini cop station in an older modular? But I guess there hasn't really been a modular with a police station façade. Modulars are rarely ever just a single thing as well, so I'm kinda curious to see what exactly it looks like & has going on.

I've linked it before, but I kinda liked this idea for a police modular and I'll be disappointed if the real one doesn't have a donut shop or stand.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

I assume he’s just got together with someone a lot like his mother.

Yeah, it happens....sigh...(checks when next therapy is scheduled).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lizard Combatant posted:

Clearly it's a modern retelling of the King of Thebes

His beard isn’t bedewed with eyeball. Well, yet, I guess.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dogen posted:

His beard isn’t bedewed with eyeball. Well, yet, I guess.

Never honour the gods in one breath and take the gods for fools the next.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't really ever followed lego closely so I wasn't aware of the modular city sets, it's a cool idea and I'm surprised they haven't expanded the concept to like Christmas themed town sets or Halloween themed ones that that could release annually like other companies already do with miniature towns. I'd buy the hell out of a Halloween town that could grow each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
They do release a Christmas themed set each year though. But it's not modular if that's what you mean.