Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hey!! SA poster reading this thread!!! do NOT start arguing about zack snyder movies. gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiglSBArRY

ian wears his strongest hat yet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/1331397892469354498?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We may have to start counting the film youtubers who haven't made the canonical takedown of Zack Snyder.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Let the Snyder discourse flow!
https://youtu.be/BVKeR1eRk6w

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did the creators of the reboot say why they didn't bring back Slappy? I understand not bringing back Goodfeathers or Rita or Minerva Mink or the nurse but Slappy seems like the kind of character that fans of the original show would appreciate even more now

Also should've also brought back Chicken Boo, a bit that was funny every time :colbert:

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Did the creators of the reboot say why they didn't bring back Slappy? I understand not bringing back Goodfeathers or Rita or Minerva Mink or the nurse but Slappy seems like the kind of character that fans of the original show would appreciate even more now

Also should've also brought back Chicken Boo, a bit that was funny every time :colbert:

None of the original writers/creators were invited back to write for this version, apparently they didn’t even know it was happening until the day it was announced, and considering Sherri was a big part of Slappy that’s prob why. It could also just be executives playing it safe and sticking to the core characters. There’s been little rumors here and there that if the new series is a success and they get a season 3 they’d be allowed to use more characters, and I’m taking that to mean “we’ll find a way to invite more of the old crew back.”

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Alaois posted:

im not watching that video but yeah the answer is because violence is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8iEpkcDJc

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

There's a sketch in the show featuring Chicken Boo that explains why the other characters aren't around "in-universe"

The meta reason that I've heard is that they didn't want to write for the other characters until they were comfortable that they had nailed the tone of the show and that they're probably going to return in season 2 or 3 if the show does well.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His argument (and it's backed up by a few comic book creators) is that R-Rated stuff works best when it's not being done by the exact same characters as the family friendly stuff.

Did you see the video? Because that's not his point, his point is we shouldn't be making hard R stuff with known characters because we are taking this characters from children. Quality is immaterial here.That superhero rape was bad not because it dealt with sexual assault but because it was absolute poo poo.He specifically brought Logan because its a hard R and works and uses the silly wolverine.A comic book character that apparently is the sole property of kids

He kept making the joke of "what about the children", but doesn't change the fact that this is some "what about the children?" bullshit.This is some mild moral panic and superhero normativity about like 5 movies.He doesn't care about kids.

He simply is projecting his own fears and anxiety on imaginary kids that will love too much the sight of blood when batman gives you an spiral fracture in your upper arm.He assumes the quality of the material is not important for this imaginary kids and just goes from there.

Alan Moore is always cool but we are not stuck in a grimdark era created by Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.The single biggest franchise in the world is a gigantic PG13 27 movies long saga.

The violence of superhero movies has never been as sanitized as today.The problem is not that there are spiral fractures and some blood here and there, the problem is the infinity saga ended up with everybody coming back from death except black widow ( because gently caress black widow I guess) and vision. And now there will be a tv show with him because death is not real, and everything needs to be held in stasis forever.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 25, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't really understand this, but it's now my favorite genre.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1331507176351825920?s=20

I hope she does Muzzy next. Or that "do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!" one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

hey!! SA poster reading this thread!!! do NOT start arguing about zack snyder movies. gently caress you

Can you just chill for 2 seconds

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don't really understand this, but it's now my favorite genre.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1331507176351825920?s=20

I hope she does Muzzy next. Or that "do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!" one.

Everyone covering their favourite adverts is the glorious future Demolition Man predicted for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gza8ZuhWhGE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It's Lit on Graphic Novels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpFboFcGfE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What kid wouldn’t want to see Wolverine rip people apart?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Honestly I think that R-rated movies would work better for some heroes than others. Like for Wolverine, X-23, Constantine, all the heroes that ended up on Netflix and stuff like that. And not for stuff like the Fantastic Four or Justice League.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

What kid wouldn’t want to see Wolverine rip people apart?

I had probably seen Terminator and Alien a dozen times by the time I was 12. My dad loved R-rated comedies, too. I watched everything with him. I learned at a very early age that I was not allowed to repeat certain words outside the house.

gently caress yeah kids want to see Wolverine rip people apart. Let kids see Wolverine rip people apart you cowards.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Imma be real with you fun splatter film violence is way better and easier to get right than the serious gritty violence that bad comics tend to dive into. But there has been basically two super hero movies where everyone seems happy to be there for the ultraviolence, those being Deadpool and Blade.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The world desperately needs a superhero movie with the tone of Devil May Cry

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So a Devil May Cry movie. He could cross over with Bayonetta for the avengers team up film.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have never laughed at a single one of that guy's comics, which seems like a problem when i'm pretty sure they're supposed to be funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

i have never laughed at a single one of that guy's comics, which seems like a problem when i'm pretty sure they're supposed to be funny

The one about soundcloud rappers is really funny so you musta missed that one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i musta

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Alaois posted:

are you sure they're supposed to be funny or merely accurate

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

are you sure they're supposed to be funny or merely accurate

i don't think they're particularly accurate either! they seem like the kind of thing that looks accurate from a surface level but actually aren't

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

The comic isn't funny if you have a book shelf dedicated to graphic novels.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Alaois posted:

I was almost too distracted by how terrible that comic’s art was to even notice it was trying to tell a joke.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it's just trying to take the piss out of Mark Millar. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Apparently minerva mink showed up again which lol

I don't even know what you'd do with her. I read someone say to make her a single mom with a very prim daughter and that might be fun maybe but like she's such an embarrassing part of the original show

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Imagine trying to do a Punisher film while also trying to maintain a PG-13 rating.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Imma be real with you fun splatter film violence is way better and easier to get right than the serious gritty violence that bad comics tend to dive into. But there has been basically two super hero movies where everyone seems happy to be there for the ultraviolence, those being Deadpool and Blade.

I remember there was some talk back when one of the Deadpool movies came out, with it news that it was being rated 'R', and I think one of them ended up getting a PG-13 edit. I know there was some parent who tried to petition Fox to make a PG-13 edit: https://geekologie.com/2016/01/woman-starts-petition-for-pg-13-edit-of.php

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing with ratings is that a lot of people treat them as shorthand to decide if they should consume that media product or not. Partially because as a species we're pretty mentally lazy about that sort of thing and love shorthand, and partially because there's so much goddamn media available that critically pouring over everything to decide what is and is not worth your time isn't feasible. Like if you're a working parent with three kids you don't have time to tear into all the reviews for the summer releases, you open up the Now Showing page and see the thing rated G with a cute name and go "yeah okay I'll bring my kids to that." A problem that arises though is that ratings really only care about superficial elements like the level and type of violence, sex, and language. They don't really care about themes or target audiences. Which can result in oddities like 2001 Space Odyssey getting a G rating (imagine bringing your ~10 year old kids to that one lol) or Breakfast Club getting an R because it acknowledges that teens experiment with drugs and sex and alcohol, which gates the film off from what is arguably it's target audience.

The thing is, studios know ratings are used as shorthand, and so they will add or withhold certain elements to achieve a rating that matches the audience they're going for. Office Space didn't need tons of swearing - you could rip pretty much all of it out and the story still works - but without it you're looking at a PG movie whose whole thrust relies on the viewer having experience at the very least familiarity with the soul-crushing insanity that is corporate office culture. Kids movies have to bend over backwards to make sure any violent elements are depicted in a ratings board friendly way: the infamous "Disney Villain death" is one such example. So movies with "mature" themes often have gratuitous sex, violence, or swearing thrown in because that bumps the rating up to an "R" and makes adults more likely to show up for it, which conflates those superficial elements with something being "mature". It's not just limited to movies either: TV and video games suffer from the same problem. HBO is a particularly big offender: pretty much any prestige television they make throws in a ton of gratuitous nudity and swearing even when it doesn't serve the story whatsoever, presumably just to get an MA rating and drum up interest.

tl;dr a lot of people who think "Batman but he says "gently caress" and shoots people" is more mature only think that way because the way media ratings incentivize writers in such a way that media aimed at adults often has elements thrown in to artificially pump the rating up to one that matches the target audience.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I remember there was some talk back when one of the Deadpool movies came out, with it news that it was being rated 'R', and I think one of them ended up getting a PG-13 edit. I know there was some parent who tried to petition Fox to make a PG-13 edit: https://geekologie.com/2016/01/woman-starts-petition-for-pg-13-edit-of.php
I can see how that might be helpful for people who are grossed out by movie blood and gore. I think that it would be a lesser product because those things legitimately add to the human and energy of the film, but no harm if you have the resources to make it do so for the people who need it. Same as easy mode on a well tuned game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They did make the PG13 cut of Deadpool 2 with cutaways where Deadpool was holding Fred Savage hostage and reading to him Princess Bride style.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

They did make the PG13 cut of Deadpool 2 with cutaways where Deadpool was holding Fred Savage hostage and reading to him Princess Bride style.

did this improve or lower the quality? Either way thats a very deadpool solution.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

did this improve or lower the quality? Either way thats a very deadpool solution.

every review of it was worse than just regular Deadpool 2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Apparently minerva mink showed up again which lol

I don't even know what you'd do with her. I read someone say to make her a single mom with a very prim daughter and that might be fun maybe but like she's such an embarrassing part of the original show

Make her into a villain trying to harness cartoon power to destroy Nickelodeon and turn her into The Mask at the end or something. Make her into a mob boss and the actin thing is just a smokescreen so no one suspects her? I dunno.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah, I am someone whos really grossed out by gore. While I do love action and stuff I tend to like more light-hearted violence like the kind of thing you see in James Bond games like Goldeneye where the silly, over the top but bloodless death animations just makes the bad guys look like virtual stuntmen putting on a good show. It's fun :unsmith: I'm one of the few people who turns off the gore in Gears of War, which makes everyone ragdoll around when they die. It's hilarious!

When you have people screaming in pain and terror as their limbs are torn off, well, that just grosses and bums me out tbh. :smith: The way I look at it, there's enough gore and rape and all that awful stuff in real life. I don't need to see it in my escapist fictional stories. I'm not saying "ITS EVIL AND MUST BE CENSORED/DESTROYED". Nor am I saying no fictional stories should try to tackle said topics. I'm just saying I do not care for it and I tend to avoid that kind of thing.

I understand wanting something like Watchmen, Deadpool, or even Wolverine to be R, but Batman? The guy who dresses up as a bat to punch an evil clown prince of crime? That kind of thing doesn't need rape or decapitations. Those tweets Patrick Williams showed in that video that said "ALL SUPER HERO MOVIES SHOULD BE R" are insane to me lol It really just reeks of "This R rated batman movie is rated R because its MATURE and ADULT meaning IM MATURE AND ADULT FOR LIKING IT SO SHUT UP MOM!!!!!!"

Anyway, excellant video by Patrick Williams as always.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One of my big pet peeves is people wanting things meant for children to be more "adult," which generally manifests itself in extremely superficial ways like swearing, gore, lack of humor, etc. It's (ironically) an incredibly childish impulse, a refusal to accept the things one grew up with not growing up with them. There's nothing wrong with enjoying silly things, and going "well, children enjoy gratuitous sex and violence too!" could not possibly be missing the point any harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd kinda of like to see something studying the intersection of demand for "serious" comics and continuity obsession interact. Those two things help each other at first but then as time goes on directly harm each other. Given that the market need for an iconic character to be available in their default state means any serious consequences need to be reversed or undermined.