Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Meteor Swarm wasn't a big deal in Baldur's Gate either. For some reason it wrecks shop(pe) in the pen & paper game but isn't worth the slot in the video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Meteor Swarm wasn't a big deal in Baldur's Gate either. For some reason it wrecks shop(pe) in the pen & paper game but isn't worth the slot in the video games.

It isn't really worth the slot for PCs in pen and paper, either. It's just a bigger, flashier Fireball that happens to come at the same spell levels that can stop time and call forth armies of angels/demons/other poo poo. It just works better for villains because it's a lot harder to figure out how to get a party to prepare around a BBEG four levels over the party who can create a sphere of permasleep or rip someone's mind from their body that each have like one or two specific counters besides 'make your save, fool' then one who just shoots Multi-Fireball. and even then BBEGs generally don't need to run a day's worth of encounters so if their 9th level slot turns out to be a bit of a turkey that doesn't absolutely kill everyone in the room, no big deal.

Meteor Swarm exists for the kind of Wizard who's first impulse of reading a spell list is look for the one that has the biggest and most numerous instances of XdX or villains the DM want to make a threat but don't want to just completely murder a player because the don't make the DC23 Will save.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Writing's done! Content extraction begins tomorrow.

In other news I'm seriously considering plowing on from here into Blades. I mean, I've got the footage, and it's not like I'm going anywhere during corona. As long as y'all can handle the excruciatingly slow pace, I'll keep going.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Personally, if you feel like you can do it, I say go for it. If its as linear and as boring as everyone says it is, hopefully you can do a quick Readers Digest version and move on to the final chapter and put an end to the demon a silk hat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I agree Blades is a slog, but I enjoyed playing it way back when. If you can handle playing it, I can enjoy the read.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
I am always game for more of your writing, Chokes. :D

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Id be real happy to see more even if it's slow but don't push yourself. Happy comes first

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Writing's done! Content extraction begins tomorrow.

In other news I'm seriously considering plowing on from here into Blades. I mean, I've got the footage, and it's not like I'm going anywhere during corona. As long as y'all can handle the excruciatingly slow pace, I'll keep going.

If anyone can make the dullsville game entertaining it's you. But yeah, only if you want to.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't remember well enough (I remember the Krynn games better than these), but what about skipping Blades and going to Darkness, with an appropriately wacky segue? If Blades is tedious and Darkness less so, it's worth thinking about.

Edit: I was going to comment that I was surprised that he did not play the Amiga versions of the games as they have full mouse support, like Might & Magic 1 and 2 on the Mac. Then I checked my archives and I don't have Curse for the Amiga, but I have the other three. Genuinely sad about that as I thought that I had the whole quadrology.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 25, 2020

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
You don't have to actually write the whole game up. I'll probably end up doing the same when analyzing the game.

Secret of the Silver Blades is a textbook case of building a much better foundation, and then building a shack on the foundation. Most people aren't even going to notice the better foundation.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pretty much. Write if it makes you happy, and you could also just straight up have stern tell us "there is too much, I'll sum up. Humperdink..."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Anias posted:

Pretty much. Write if it makes you happy, and you could also just straight up have stern tell us "there is too much, I'll sum up. Humperdink..."

oh man if only I were peter falk

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

oh man if only I were peter falk

what does being so high on pain killers on columbo he just got in a dinghy and rowed away at the end of an episode have to do with D&D?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

As long as y'all can handle the excruciatingly slow pace, I'll keep going.

No, no. Take your time. We can wait.

Yeah, we're booked here for eternity anyway.

I love it when you slip in those dry little puns, Frank.

Puns? What puns?

...Why is he in charge again?

Seniority, I think.

:mad:

More seriously, though, take it at the pace you enjoy it for as long as you enjoy it. The LPer is the one who most needs to have fun because the LP won't work - or likely even survive - if he doesn't.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

what does being so high on pain killers on columbo he just got in a dinghy and rowed away at the end of an episode have to do with D&D?

the best part is that wasn't the series finale after all so I like to think he had to row all the way back to next episode

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Curse of the Azure Bonds, Chapter 15: Invader Time

Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventurers and our thrilling two part conclusion! Today, we'll be invading Myth Drannor and making a beeline towards Tyranthrauxs like a guided missile. A big, dumb guided missile.

But first: let's check out stats! It's been a while, so we might as well see how the party's coming along.

Our front line's lookin' real good with AC -3 and a bevy of top tier magical swords. Of course, some Gauntlets of Ogre Power would be appreciated for the 18(00) strength, but I'm not really complaining. It's amazing what a little Protection from Evil will do.

Shanna is, well, Shanna. Nevertheless, -3 AC for a Cleric is still fantastic. Plus, she has a magic sling staff now, so she can bonk things from a distance. You'd think this wouldn't be a big deal, but it's actually really handy. I mean, you know my feelings about slings. Give them to a cleric so they can do damage without risking their necks, and I like them even more!

Charisma :ocelot::grin:

And, finally, Rezen. I still don't know how she got down to -1 AC, but it's funny putting her on the front lines and bonking things with a staff. You can't see it here, but she has an obscene abmount of Magic Missles and Fireballs ready due to her Ring of Wizardry. Still don't know why Llewyn wasn't wearing this thing. I swear he and his summons are even stupider than the All-Stars, and I didn't think that was physically possible.

All right, eveything's squared away. We're geared up and spelled up. Let's go punch Bane's lieutenant in the throat until he stops bothering us.

Step one is to go back to the ruins, then immediately turn around and walk back out. In addition to the wilderness, we'll have the an option for the trail to Myth Drannor proper. We want that option. I mean, relatively speaking. It's gonna suck, but we've come this far, soooo.

Looks like we're going... *peers* North.

Does it specify how much north, or...?

:shrug:

Nice place they got here. I mean, if you like ruins.

Do I?!

Have you ever considered therapy?

Shyeah! This one time, I totally messed up my shoulder, and—

Never mind. Let's just move on.

Journal Entry 5 posted:

We Rakshasa are very fond of gambling. I have been having a streak of bad luck and gone through most of my possessions. Recently, I discovered that Birsheya had been cheating in those games. However, the Clan Lord will not act without proof. Birsheya guards the clan storehouse and I know that there is evidence hidden there. If you help me break in, you may select whatever you want the storehouse. I just want the proof of Birsheya's cheating.

Oh, come on. You're going to backstab us. You're going to backstab us when we least expect it, and we're all going to be idiots for it, because we knew you were going to backstab us.

Believe me, I wish I could. But, it's one of me and six of you, and I can't afford to screw this up.

So we are going to get treasure?

Why would I even you ask you without a bribe?

:hmmyes:

I still don't trust you.

Hey, you're smarter than you look.

This should be it.

Why are you standing in the back?

Absolutely no reason.

Yup. There it is. The thing I said would happen.

You're always so negative, Justine. Cheer up!

No, and you can't make me.

Tirsheya here needs our help, and he seems a little different than the other rakshakas we've met. We might as well tag along and see what happens. Like he said, if he tries to pull anything, we can just beat the crap out of him.

Guarding this warehouse are a couple of new enemies: hellhounds and margoyles. Margoyles are a lot like gargoyles, only spinier. They have some sort of gimmick, and I think it pertains to immunity from arrows, but gently caress all if I know. The hellhounds can spit tiny fireballs up close for equally tiny amounts of damage IIRC.

Neither are impressive. We flatten them quickly.

This hellhound is the only smart one and peels out. Unfortunately, it fails its escape rolls at the edge of the battlefield, and we have to chase it down. :sigh:

As soon as we get there, it succeeds and flees. gently caress you too, game.

Who?

This is the guy. The guy I told you about.

What guy?

The guy with the power.

What power?

The power of hoodoo.

Who do?

You do.

Do what?

Remind me of the man~

please kill me

No way! We're on Team Tirsheya.

Totally. Team Beyrha is so yesterday.

So be it.

All right, this isn't anything we haven't seen before. Stand fast, and—wait, what are you doing here?

Sunk cost fallacy.

You're... different than the other rakshakas we've met.

I'm what my people like to call "an idiot."

Welcome aboard! You'll fit right in.

In a neat twist, Tirsheya actually joins in this fight!

And I'll be goddamned if he doesn't actually contribute! There's something about this particular rakshaka that seems off. He hasn't put a knife in our back (yet), and he's actually getting his hands dirty. I don't know if he's a named character in lore or just a huge weirdo. Either way, you can't beat an extra lightning bolt every round!

Beyrha's troops are utterly unimpressive. We immediately surround him and beat him senseless. He doesn't even get one lightning bolt off. I mean, we just got done slaughtering every beholder within a fourty mile radius. What did he think was going to happen?

All done. Thanks for the help.

You're a strange little man, and it's been interesting knowing you.

You too. Good luck with the whole Tyranthraxus thing, and help yourself to what's left. Peace.

That's a real classy guy right there.

Indeed.

...this is the treasure?

I dunno whether to punch him for this or shake his hand.

beep beep beep

?

treasure detector, beep

Hey, I found this on the floor. You read it, Sternn.

Why me?

If it blows up, I want to be able to laugh.

Yeah, definitely the handshake.

It's not often I meet someone I respect, but this is one of those times.

:patriot:

If you come in here, you'll immediately think you got screwed and your new friend only held up to the most literal interpretation of his promise. If you hit (L)ook, you'll uncover a hidden cache of loot, so he didn't actually hang you out to dry. Still, it's a rakshaka. They have to get their trickery in somehow.

The mace is +2 and therefore junk, but that Long Sword is +3. We immediately give it to Heather. A +3 Long Sword for two low impact fights? I'll take that.

Well, that's that. Let's see what other trouble we can get into.

Hello, inferior race. :smug:

Hello yourself, you smug feline jackass.

Woah. Has it always been this easy? Should we just let Justine swear at more people?

It's not like we can stop her.

Goddamn right.

Rakshaka patrols wander around this area. Now, you can fight every one of them you stumble across, which is an incredible pain in the rear end. We have ammo called Blessed Bolts which instakill rakshakas, but we have to hit them first, and we only have so many bolts. If you're not a chump, though, you can (P)arley (H)aughty and give them so much poo poo they leave you alone. There's no reason to fight fights at this point. We gain nothing from it. Any "get out of encounters free" cards we have left should be played.

Honestly, I don't get rakshaka. Other than "evil trickster," their character design is all over the goddamn place. They're hindu, but they're also tigers, but also they throw lightning bolts?? Well, whatever.

Dude's gettin' mauled.

We should probably do something about that.

'Reckon so.

RIP in peace. Let's go find his treasure stash!

That's a little ghoulish, don't you think?

Shanna, that man's dying wish was that we take his loot. It'd be a crime to refuse it.

Did... did you just use morality as a cudgel against me?

*scribbles notes furiously*

Lesse. Accordin' to this map, we should be getting close.

Here, let me take a look at that.

Okay, who drew this? Fess up.

Not me!

Uh huh.

Omigod, look!

We have to do something!

Huh. I didn't expect you to be an animal lover.

Of course I am! My mom's an animal!

I'll say.

No, really. She's a fox.

I'll say.

It's not a metaphor. She's literally a fox.

I'll—

Oh shush.

Anyway, I'm with Heather. Family comes first.

quote:

Rezen! I've been looking all over for you!

Hey, Elly.

I mean... H-hiya, Elly! I'm so wacky and random! Ha ha ha!

Ryzen? Where's your sister?

Promise me you won't get mad.

Yes, there's no one that supports you quite like family.

Everybody shut up and help me rescue that poor thing.

rakshaka?

yup

Heh heh. Now to steal all their gear.

Yes, just stoop down and grab all their magical items.

Nothing whatsoever could go wrong with this plan.

OH MY GOD I CAN'T BEEEEELIEVE IT, HOW COULD THIS HAVE POSSSSSIBLY HAPPENED

:grin:

Another sucker play by a rakshaka gets you owned by a cave-in for about 20-25 damage. This one is kind of satisfying, though, because you can play dead, let this rear end in a top hat get close, and then surprise attack. This is also one of the few battles where I remember Sternn can backstab. Honestly, I don't feel all that bad forgetting about it. A fireball to the face is much more effective. Thief is a dead-end profession in Gold Box.

Okay, this is definitely it.

Now you guys just making stuff up as you go.

Why are you looking at me when you say that?

Because you're the one that did it?

Sweet! Exactly where my map said it would be.

:mad:

Quit yer yappin'. Let's see what this guy left us.

Holy poo poo! We've hit the motherload!

Gimme that girdle!

Hell yeah! I'm back, baby!

Me too!

Uh...

Check it out! I can military press Justine now!

put me dooooooown

This is last treasure cache of the game. Get it. You'll be rewarded with Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Girdle of Giant Strength. The former we already know about, but latter boosts a character's strength to 23. Twenty three. That is ridiculously above and beyond human standards and will absolutely loving wreck anyone on the battlefield. Give it to Hanover, and look the gently caress out. In addition, the Gauntlets are still instant max strength, which is why I gave them to Rezen. Here at the Gold Box Adventures, we make spectacularly bad decisions, such as playing the Gold Box Adventures.

All right, we're geared up. Let's go kick down Tyranthraxus' door.

Oh, fine. I guess we'll find a sneakier way in. :rolleyes:

This looks like a rad place! What's the sign say?

"The Tiger's Den."

Coooool.

Normally, I'd be against this.

But?

But we're just gonna do it anyway, so let's make the best of it.

It's good to see you've grown as a person.

Oh, no. I still have nothing but burning hatred for all five of you. I just want to get home more.

Like, that's probably the best you're getting.

I'll guess I'll take it.

Omigod, this is so chic. Is this rug real fur?

Yup! Made it from my cousin myself!

You even have gourmet food!

...curried lemon?

Yes. Peasants in this area always get it backwards. It makes it taste terrible.

Look, we're pressed for time here. Are you gonna attack us or what?

Journal Entry 57 posted:

It is good to speak with those with confidence enough to deal. My clan has taken this spot as a place to rest for a few mortal lifetimes. But, the Flamed One, Tyranthraxus, has stolen our followers and threatened my clan. His power is such that we cannot attack his temple directly, though we hate him with great passion. Now to our deal. You wear the Flamed Ones mark, but I have been told you are his enemy. When you attack his temple we will bend our power to reclaim our followers. That may weaken him enough for you to be victorious.

So we can count on your support?

:lol:

I'll take that as a yes!

Do we do anything competently?

That's a negative, buddy.

As far as I can tell, we're done with rakshakas once we leave this area, so this parlay gains you absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure it's just sloppy scripting, but rakshakas telling you they have your back and then just loving off to do whatever is pretty on-brand.

Okay, we've exhausted most of the map, and Nameless yelled at us about going through the front door. What else do we have?

I can't believe I have to fix these things. "Sure, let's put in clay sewer pipes a century ago!" Who the hell would even do that?

quote:

Sure, let's put in clay sewer pipes right now! I would do that!

Someone just put me out of my misery.

THE MONKEY'S PAW CURLS

Nope. I don't get paid enough for this.

Oho. I've got... an angle.

Does it involve sneaking in through the sewers?

Wow. Spoilers, Shanna.

(time to save, y'all)

Looks like we won't be going that way again...

Ehn, it's not like we're leaving anytime soon. Everybody ready?

You're goddamn right I'm ready. *flex*

Me too! *flex*

Me too! *FLEX*

Will you take those gauntlets off?

No.

Next Time: Gotterdammitrung

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 2, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Margoyles, like gargoyles, are immune to nonmagical weapons. But they have five attacks per round and more hp.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

You forgot to mention that the other part of that treasure cache is a long sword +5.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Rakshasas are very inconsistent in their original myths too. Some look human but with backwards facing hands, some have multiple heads, some fly... the haughty demon-trickster psychology and use of magic are about the only things consistent about them.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Chokes McGee posted:

And I'll be goddamned if he doesn't actually contribute! There's something about this particular rakshaka that seems off. He hasn't put a knife in our back (yet), and he's actually getting his hands dirty. I don't know if he's a named character in lore or just a huge weirdo. Either way, you can't beat an extra lightning bolt every round!

A quick Google for "Tirsheya" doesn't turn up any English-language results except for Curse of the Azure Bonds walkthroughs, so he's not from the lore. He's just a weird rakshasa, I guess.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

You forgot to mention that the other part of that treasure cache is a long sword +5.

oh poo poo I missed that. I'm not 100% convinced I didn't just leave it behind because I thought my loadout was topped out. lmao

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

:ramsay:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rakshashas are inconsistent
Rakshashas are tricksters.
Rakshashas are cats.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tax Refund posted:

A quick Google for "Tirsheya" doesn't turn up any English-language results except for Curse of the Azure Bonds walkthroughs, so he's not from the lore. He's just a weird rakshasa, I guess.

Hey, sometimes someone is just too pissed off and wanting revenge to care about being a dick to others. It happens.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The last time I played this, Tirsheya didn't account for Lightning Bolt's ricochet in true AI "ally" fashion and thus caused more damage to my party than any of the enemies did in that battle.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alpha3KV posted:

The last time I played this, Tirsheya didn't account for Lightning Bolt's ricochet in true AI "ally" fashion and thus caused more damage to my party than any of the enemies did in that battle.

Hanover almost ate a tremendous amount of poo poo when Tirsheya attempted, unbelievably, to lightning bolt his rival (which of course wouldn't work). Thankfully, it pulled up one square short.

Like I said, he's an All-Star level idiot. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 27, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Holy poo poo, 23 strength? In any edition prior to 3rd that's where you start bench-pressing minor deities and walking through walls rather than doors because you can just shoulder your way through brick and concrete like it's slightly denser air.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PurpleXVI posted:

Holy poo poo, 23 strength? In any edition prior to 3rd that's where you start bench-pressing minor deities and walking through walls rather than doors because you can just shoulder your way through brick and concrete like it's slightly denser air.

It’s Giant Strength for a reason. They’re talking about the kinds of giants you got in Norse/Greek Myth, who waged war with deities on the regular.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PurpleXVI posted:

quote:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

a dm let me RP as a 25 charisma priestess once and i was effectively invincible against anyone that could perceive me directly

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

a dm let me RP as a 25 charisma priestess once and i was effectively invincible against anyone that could perceive me directly

turn on your monitor :kiddo:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Unrelated to anything but the unbridled terror of previous chokes things.

I'm watching VoD's VODs of a game called Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening.

How is that making me think of other chokes content?

That's a random encounter in that game

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Unrelated to anything but the unbridled terror of previous chokes things.

I'm watching VoD's VODs of a game called Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening.

How is that making me think of other chokes content?

That's a random encounter in that game

That... is weird and unfortunate.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
If you want to know why rakshasas are vulnerable to blessed bolts: no, it's not anything authentically Hindu. The inspiration is from a 1974 episode of the TV show Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Which seems silly, but that's not really any different from vampires getting vaporized in sunlight because of a 1922 movie.

Rakshasas don't cast Fireball, because no enemy AI does in Curse. That's almost certainly fallout from people complaining vociferously about getting splashed by "friendly" Fireballs in Pool of Radiance. SSI also noticeably didn't leave it off Akabar (who isn't supposed to know Fireball to begin with), which kept the complaints going.

That Girdle of Giant Strength should actually give you Strength 24 (storm giant), not 23 (cloud giant). (What Strength you actually get varies by Gold Box game.)

And those gauntlets should actually be Dexterity gauntlets (+1 Dexterity). (The game doesn't gracefully handle Dexterity 20+ on a thief though.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Boldor posted:

And those gauntlets should actually be Dexterity gauntlets (+1 Dexterity). (The game doesn't gracefully handle Dexterity 20+ on a thief though.)

Ehn, I stopped giving a poo poo about accuracy about halfway through PoR. v:shobon:v

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Abraham Lincoln, after telling us about the internet posted:

Ehn, I stopped giving a poo poo about accuracy about halfway through PoR. v:shobon:v

The truth finally comes out!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I can't believe I have to fix these things. "Sure, let's put in clay sewer pipes a century ago!" Who the hell would even do that?

quote:

Sure, let's put in clay sewer pipes right now! I would do that!

So now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a broken pipe in a Mario game, and now I'm wondering what they're made of.

It's lead, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

fritz posted:

So now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a broken pipe in a Mario game, and now I'm wondering what they're made of.

It's lead, right?

Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story had broken pipes. Turns out they still connect to the other end even after being broken and inhaled by a large, angry turtle. As to WHY they still work... magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They're plumbers. They fixed the pipe while going through them