Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My sister-in-law has to buy her own PPE and even had to put up a bunch of plastic sheets to separate her classroom. She's supposed to be "reimbursed" for it eventually, but I doubt that's gonna happen. There's no way they're gonna install new ventilation and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm gonna guess that GOP senators will scream about the cost and block it and ol' Sleepy Biden will go "Well I could have fixed this problem but those penny pinching Republicans wouldn't let me so everyone goes back to remote learning! Don't blame me, I wanted to open them schools right up!"

E: also Trump really fucks up the economy in the next 2.5 months so there's no money left for schools so Biden goes "Hey I can save the schools if you let me take some $$$$ out of the military budget, whaddya reckon?" and the entire country goes "Oh no you can't do that, we'd rather let the schools burn down."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 25, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Could just give that $200b as a stimulus to families and call it a day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How much of that wall actually got built?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blistex posted:

400 miles, but most of it was replacing already existing portions of wall so only nine miles of new wall got built

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Solice Kirsk posted:

Could just give that $200b as a stimulus to families and call it a day.

"As a Christian I am very opposed to helping the poor and needy. Please make sure my company's CEO is taken care of. . . I am praying for him."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

setup new ventilation for the schools still running loving coal furnaces

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Blistex posted:

I am asked so much about Wall, about the Wall. But this wall... it was built to a degree like nobody thought possible, more wall and it's even taller in some places than I thought... and I.... I mean, I designed it.

You know, these architects, they come up. And these are guys, the industry calls 'em wall guys, they know walls that well. Ceilings, too, I guess but they... they trained on the walls. Building 'em. And the wall guys show me the drawings, give me the blue prints. And the very first time, you know, I said "This looks good, but what if we did this."

And these eggheads, okay, they're looking at the paper and at me and then they go "Wow, we never thought of this." And now the wall? I made it a little taller, okay, a little bit... it's a little bit tougher to climb. And you know, the guys wanna throw the drug bags, but it's too tall for that, now. So I saved a LOTTA lives.

But the wall itself it's... I never said... I NEVER SAID only physical, or building. Okay? OKAY? I said it was a series of walls, and the real wall? The true wall, which... I built that. Okay? I designed it with these HUGE HANDS but the real wall is inside of us, and I... I did that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Lol at anyone dumb enough to believe any of that will happen, except maybe for a handful of private schools attended by the children of elected officials.

Anyone who believes that Joe Biden will save us is dumb as hell

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The worst poo poo is what the government is doing to its people. Their initial response was negligent, unprepared, seemingly not giving a poo poo about the majority of people. Then they aired all their corporate media packs that seemed to be pre-recorded with the idea that 100s of millions of people would be dead and that families would be snuffing each other out for food, extreme social punishment for anything less than perfect positivity and going along with the program, images of rotten food and scarcity, child prostitution, and absolute torrent of antidepressant medicine commercials, these washed out webcam scenes with lower quality cameras than seemingly exist, indicating a new communications platform and media takeover.

And then after the fact they want to milk this poo poo for every bit of time they can buy before the public can render judgement on them (can’t bitch about anything if their suggestions still seem to indicate an interest in public safety, which they don’t have whatsoever). They’re just grinding everything to a halt for no logical or statistically justified reason. The guidelines and suggestions are contradictory and border on superstition and ritual with no scientific backing, they scramble to justify guidelines that seem to be made by significantly mentally impaired people and statements that seem to support mass genocide. The riot line is just a gauge of how much pressure they think they can exert on society before the non-disturbed, happy to follow the program people begin demanding the return of society.

What we have is a totalitarian takeover and a complete dissolution of our rights over a preventable disaster. None of this is born out of necessity, we’ve gotten through other crises in this country without the fundamental loss of our rights and a government that stands solely to supply us with a disease with no cure. How long are people going to continue to be tricked by the “holy poo poo I’m scared to death” “well just do this and everything will be alright good citizen” routine.

No, no the virus isn’t the problem. It’s the government. That’s just one of their deadly tools. They want everyone dead and they’re blowing smoke up our rear end while they try to buy more time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

The worst poo poo is what the government is doing to its people. Their initial response was negligent, unprepared, seemingly not giving a poo poo about the majority of people. Then they aired all their corporate media packs that seemed to be pre-recorded with the idea that 100s of millions of people would be dead and that families would be snuffing each other out for food, extreme social punishment for anything less than perfect positivity and going along with the program, images of rotten food and scarcity, child prostitution, and absolute torrent of antidepressant medicine commercials, these washed out webcam scenes with lower quality cameras than seemingly exist, indicating a new communications platform and media takeover.

And then after the fact they want to milk this poo poo for every bit of time they can buy before the public can render judgement on them (can’t bitch about anything if their suggestions still seem to indicate an interest in public safety, which they don’t have whatsoever). They’re just grinding everything to a halt for no logical or statistically justified reason. The guidelines and suggestions are contradictory and border on superstition and ritual with no scientific backing, they scramble to justify guidelines that seem to be made by significantly mentally impaired people and statements that seem to support mass genocide. The riot line is just a gauge of how much pressure they think they can exert on society before the non-disturbed, happy to follow the program people begin demanding the return of society.

What we have is a totalitarian takeover and a complete dissolution of our rights over a preventable disaster. None of this is born out of necessity, we’ve gotten through other crises in this country without the fundamental loss of our rights and a government that stands solely to supply us with a disease with no cure. How long are people going to continue to be tricked by the “holy poo poo I’m scared to death” “well just do this and everything will be alright good citizen” routine.

No, no the virus isn’t the problem. It’s the government. That’s just one of their deadly tools. They want everyone dead and they’re blowing smoke up our rear end while they try to buy more time.

what

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

check post history in this thread, he's been on the "government engineered the virus" kick for eight months

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mental illness is sad

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Source your quotes

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on this. Masks reduce risk but they're not a 100% guarantee of safety, especially if they're in a room together for an extended period of time. If they're not testing all the classmates they absolutely cannot rule out that one of them passed it along asymptomatically.

You can't assume that no student has been infected by a classmate if you never searched for evidence that they may have been infected by a classmate, that's just wishful thinking.

If you're not seeing an increase in students testing positive in this school setting despite high rates overall (France was higher than the US until recently) it would indicate that there's pretty limited transmission in schools among students. Of course there's not a 100% guarantee of safety (not sure when this became the standard for anything?), but it's a pretty positive indicator that we won't see huge issues when schools do re-pen. As I posted earlier, whenever schools do reopen it will be with 0% of the students vaccinated so if transmission is minimal that will go a long ways of removing a vector for people who aren't vaccinated (whether by choice or medical necessity) being infected by kids.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Your rhetoric seems sincere but it is wrong. The world is complicated, society is complicated. Governance is complicated- as a species, we suck at it a lot because we're selfish and skittish and dumb. Your government is not trying to kill you, it's just very bad at doing what it's supposed to be doing, especially right now (but also always).

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What's the end game from the government requiring masks in public?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Navajo Nation is getting hit hard by COVID :(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/24/health/navajo-nation-coronavirus-losses-wellness/index.html

quote:

Since the pandemic began up until November 22, the Navajo Nation has had 15,039 cases out of its population of 173,667 from the 2010 census, which means this hard-hit population has over 8,659 cases per 100,000 people.

The "big towns" up there like Tuba City are only 8500 people. Most people live in teeny communities with terrible roads and poor access to electricity and water. For a lot of them, medical care is far away, poor quality, or both. 8.7% infection rate is devastating.

quote:

When people are able to watch the news, Navajo Nation residents like Chenoa Begaye, a senior at Chinle High School and Mix's daughter, say it's a challenge convincing their older population to listen.
"Most Natives, we don't believe what we see on TV," Begaye said. "We have to have it affect our family and then say, 'Oh OK, this is serious.'"

The attitude of "the feds are lying to you and don't have your best interests in mind" that a lot of Americans have is more widespread and more extreme in Indigenous communities for obvious reasons.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

What's the end game from the government requiring masks in public?

Sharia law.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Clam has truly blurred the line between "shitposting using a mental illness gimmick" and "legitimately suffering from paranoid schizophrenia". I frequently do not know whether to feel pity or admiration.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

You know the phrase "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" that's what's going on here. Not your insane conspiracy. The Trump admin hosed up the response to the virus because they are completely incompetent. That's it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

canyoneer posted:

The attitude of "the feds are lying to you and don't have your best interests in mind" that a lot of Americans have is more widespread and more extreme in Indigenous communities for obvious reasons.

Because it's the truth in their case?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

Because it's the truth in their case?

Exactly.

I'm still annoyed that the US government blew the early response so badly by being inconsistent and contradictory about mask wearing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we weren't alone in that, but we definitely take the cake in reveling in idiocy currently

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Who else has put the plywood and duct tape back on their windows? People gonna get desperate this winter, need tobe prepared for that.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
poo poo is getting rougher here in East TN. Went to best buy today to get my curbside pickup for stuff I got online, and the whole store was blocked off. Had a guy at a tent telling everyone that their store had 14 cases of COVID in employees in the last few days, and they are only doing curbside for online orders, or they would go and pick an item for you if you knew what it was, and pay at the tent area. This was causing some serious tension outside, mainly from what I saw was people over 50, who were getting very mouthy and threatening towards the best buy people, cause they wanted in for their deals. I really worry about how Thanksgiving and Black Friday is gonna go, not just for COVID, but also violence too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The biggest government failing is not taxing the obscenely rich and megacorporations, and using that money to pay people to stay home and bail out small businesses. There's more than enough money to do it, they're all just cowards afraid of losing votes.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

TenTonHammer posted:

poo poo is getting rougher here in East TN. Went to best buy today to get my curbside pickup for stuff I got online, and the whole store was blocked off. Had a guy at a tent telling everyone that their store had 14 cases of COVID in employees in the last few days, and they are only doing curbside for online orders, or they would go and pick an item for you if you knew what it was, and pay at the tent area. This was causing some serious tension outside, mainly from what I saw was people over 50, who were getting very mouthy and threatening towards the best buy people, cause they wanted in for their deals. I really worry about how Thanksgiving and Black Friday is gonna go, not just for COVID, but also violence too.

drat, our best buy in San Diego, CA did that immediately upon the statewide lockdown here, and as things eased they allowed in-store browsing and buying, and reopened in-store pickup. Now that we're under the restrictions again (but less severe than before), pickup is back to curbside only, but they allow a small number of people indoors for browsing and buying. I live in a deeply red part of San Diego and shockingly everyone is pretty chill with this because they went through it before. It's a shame that a lotta folks across the country are just now seeing major distruptions to how their lives work instead of getting used to all this back in the spring.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Who else has put the plywood and duct tape back on their windows? People gonna get desperate this winter, need tobe prepared for that.

I don't think anyone but you has been doing that at any point other than for hurricane-related reasons.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

I live in the deep south and have been hearing "stockpile guns and ammo, social order is doomed" since March. We got mutual aid instead. Not concerned about the windows

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

Space_Butler posted:

drat, our best buy in San Diego, CA did that immediately upon the statewide lockdown here, and as things eased they allowed in-store browsing and buying, and reopened in-store pickup. Now that we're under the restrictions again (but less severe than before), pickup is back to curbside only, but they allow a small number of people indoors for browsing and buying. I live in a deeply red part of San Diego and shockingly everyone is pretty chill with this because they went through it before. It's a shame that a lotta folks across the country are just now seeing major distruptions to how their lives work instead of getting used to all this back in the spring.

I wish it was like that here. Everyone here thinks every minor inconvenience in their life is just "losin my freedumbs hurrrrrrrrr".

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Not me. Instead we upped our contributions to the local food bank since we've been financially lucky through this pandemic, and a lot of people are going to need food this winter.

That's the normal human response to your neighbors being in distress by the way, not acting like some hoarde is going to loot your goon cave.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

TenTonHammer posted:

I wish it was like that here. Everyone here thinks every minor inconvenience in their life is just "losin my freedumbs hurrrrrrrrr".

Having my stuff brought out to me and placed in my trunk is great. Free personal shopping and they gotta complain about it. I got my parents to try it, and my Dad said something like "I might never walk into a Target again."

I'm guessing the complainers can't figure out how to use it. It is new and confusing, and probably scary for them. I hated using online pickup with most stores, they often have the pickup all the way in the back, and they don't have a good system to find your order. But now stores have been forced to adapt, and they are getting better. The stores who get people on board with their system will come out of this with a reputation for good service.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

TenTonHammer posted:

On the topic of minor inconveniences being a loss of freedoms, any of y'all have workplaces where masks are actually enforced? Mine absolutely does not give a poo poo unless corporate is physically present and it drives me up the wall

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

zgrowler2 posted:

On the topic of minor inconveniences being a loss of freedoms, any of y'all have workplaces where masks are actually enforced? Mine absolutely does not give a poo poo unless corporate is physically present and it drives me up the wall

Some of my workplace does. Im safety manager for an industrial contractor, so some of the sites/mills/plants actually do require you to wear them as soon as you go indoors. I appreciate those sites so much more cause at that point I have the ability to remove people from site for being idiots. The main corporate company that I am apart of though does not enforce it at all, which ties my hands at other sites.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pro starcraft loser posted:

So....is that worth it?

If doing all of that with that cost (it will of course run over) to open schools in lets say...March, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the schools closed until the end of the school year and hopefully have them open in Fall 2021 normally or with way less upgrades required due to the vaccine?

When has responsible government spending ever been a thing though?

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

any of y'all have workplaces where masks are actually enforced?

As a GM I'm on top of it. I've had to make a few examples to get it into their heads that I'm not putting up with poo poo.
The ones that I have to "remind" the most are the ones that are most at risk to die because of it.

it's all so tiresome.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

I work at a grocery store in Minnesota so everyone is always wearing a mask outside of the break room, and I've never heard any coworkers fuss about it. All customers wear masks, which is required by state mandate. If someone comes in without a mask a supervisor quickly provides them with one. I haven't seen a customer walking around the store maskless since the mandate began.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My favorite is when I walk into a store wearing a mask and see two employees hanging out chatting with their masks pulled down. Then they see me and pull their masks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can only offer anecdotal comments, but I am a high school teacher and have been back to work since November 1st. Masks are enforced everywhere except the classroom, classrooms are aired out every class, there is hand sanitizer literally everywhere and classes are sequestered as well as possible.

So far one teacher has caught the roni and one class is quarantined because a student got it, but the numbers are way lower than I was expecting, especially given that students here are allowed to go maskless in class.