Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

butt dickus posted:

i've been playing control on my xsx and noticed some weirdness. a lot of the textures look incredibly lovely until you get unreasonably close, it's very noticeable with the posters on the wall and the keycard access points. there are also parts of conversations where the npc's lips move but there's no sound, and then the player character will respond normally. i've since turned on subtitles. were these things broken on previous gen or is it an artifact of backwards compatibility? is that something likely to be fixed when they do the update in january?

The texture thing happens on PC too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

AndrewP posted:

any hot tips on when Series X might be back in stock?

just noticed these. so maybe in 15 min as of this post

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1331636871512768517

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1331638998675058693

e: updated link for the x. as said below not the best https://www.gamestop.com/video-game...dRjsXn6DSoHOoIQ

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 25, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Those bundles really suck though. Don't be suckered by these, just be patient and wait to get a system that is retail price.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

For sure, but some folks might not be price sensitive.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm not posting the link here because I think it's sketchy, but have you heard about a version of Retroarch that is whitelisted for you and works on Retail mode?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I got my XSX by following the chat at the bottom of the Nowinstock page. It’s full of rumors and general internet dumbassery, but sometimes it pays off. I had randomly woken up in the middle of the night and happened to look at the page on my phone and they were going on about Best Buy putting XSXs up soon, so I hopped on the computer and started refreshing til I struck gold.

Don’t rely on the actual NowInStock alerts though, they’re way too slow.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 25, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

just noticed these. so maybe in 15 min as of this post

thanks, someone sent me that but I really am hesitant to give Gamestop my email and phone number to set up an account. I get enough spam calls. (plus the bundle thing)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm not posting the link here because I think it's sketchy, but have you heard about a version of Retroarch that is whitelisted for you and works on Retail mode?
I don't think that's possible, so... no.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
snagged the series X on gamestop holla atcha

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

John F Bennett posted:

I've seen the LG CX series mentioned a couple of times here already. Why those? Are they the supreme choice for the true gamer?

Best looking display, 4k at 120fps, variable rate refresh (makes unlocked frame rates less lovely), best UI in the tv game. I was skeptical of the LG hype myself but they kill it with TVs. Sadly this is my 3rd 4k tv purchase, the first was a high end Samsung and it wasn't nearly as good (destroyed by a mover squeezing it too hard, rip).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is there a way to tell with bundles like the Gamestop one if the included digital games are just codes? I wouldn't be surprised if they were pre-loaded onto the console i.e. completely unsellable, but I dunno if that's how they generally do these things.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Best looking display, 4k at 120fps, variable rate refresh (makes unlocked frame rates less lovely), best UI in the tv game. I was skeptical of the LG hype myself but they kill it with TVs. Sadly this is my 3rd 4k tv purchase, the first was a high end Samsung and it wasn't nearly as good (destroyed by a mover squeezing it too hard, rip).

FYI the CX series is ridiculously thin for the top half of the set, around 3mm, so make sure you use the bottom of it to actually pick it up / move it around. Scared the crap out of me when I opened the box, it looks like a strong sneeze could bend it

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Moey posted:

Is it more relaxing than riding a horse? What about speeding in a car through a wall of pedestrians?

Hmm maybe not more relaxing. But just cruising right above the ground at 80mph with your wing suit playing ‘the ground is lava’ could be its own game outright.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but my kiddo is now playing enough that I think he should have his own Xbox Live persona. How do I do that and still have him linked to the GP Ultimate and everything else?

Is there a child profile or similar?

I know other services, like Google, support kid accounts but those then gently caress up a bunch of stuff because they are poorly implemented.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

FunOne posted:

Dumb question, but my kiddo is now playing enough that I think he should have his own Xbox Live persona. How do I do that and still have him linked to the GP Ultimate and everything else?

Is there a child profile or similar?

I know other services, like Google, support kid accounts but those then gently caress up a bunch of stuff because they are poorly implemented.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/family-online-safety/child-accounts/add-family-member-on-xbox-one

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NumptyScrub posted:

FYI the CX series is ridiculously thin for the top half of the set, around 3mm, so make sure you use the bottom of it to actually pick it up / move it around. Scared the crap out of me when I opened the box, it looks like a strong sneeze could bend it

Yep well aware, already got a B8. Moving in mid December too. :sweatdrop:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah same. Arkane games run like absolute poo poo on console. Not sure what Xbox was like but Dishonored 2 on PS4/Pro is genuinely the worst-feeling console game I've ever played, it's like there's seconds of added input lag. Prey was also very bad.

They don’t run super well on PC either. Dishonored 1 was great but dishonored 2 at launch on a good pc ran a bit poo poo

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lets try this again. I want my kiddo to have an account that is still linked to the Xbox GP Ultimate I pay for. This appears to just create a sub profile that only works on the Xbox. Nothing about all the other GP ultimate benefits like cloud support on his tablet.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah same. Arkane games run like absolute poo poo on console. Not sure what Xbox was like but Dishonored 2 on PS4/Pro is genuinely the worst-feeling console game I've ever played, it's like there's seconds of added input lag. Prey was also very bad.

One X D2 holds stable (the godawful framerate when entering Karnaca is gone and it manages 30fps) but the first game only runs at 30 on PS4/XB1 which is really weird considering it's UE3 and runs 60fps on a toaster. I got it for PS4 first but absolutely loathed hearing the heart and other sound effects come from the speaker on the controller so went for the XB1 version. It had a worse framerate (in a sewer section near the pub) but runs smooth on the One X. I cannot understand how D1 doesn't run 60fps standard on both consoles however.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They don’t run super well on PC either. Dishonored 1 was great but dishonored 2 at launch on a good pc ran a bit poo poo

A part of that was that awful DRM they used (I forget the name now but it's notorious for being a resource hog) as people found that pirated copies ran about 10-15fps better (I think?) but the new engine they used for the game was just a mess. The first game was Unreal Engine so ran great as expected. I've no idea why they didn't go with UE4 for the other games, I guess it was licensing costs and Bethesda wanting to push their own internal engine? Worked great in the end (Doom Eternal is a real showcase) but I wish the Dishonored games hadn't been the one to suffer to get there.

Barudak posted:

Also I thought an Arkane collection for next gen hardware was already announced.

Googled this and I hope it's real and 60fps. At the same time I'm not keen on having two versions of the same game in my library. I'm still frustrated by the situation with Control (have to re-buy for next gen upgrades) which I'm not gonna do because I don't want two copies of the game side-by-side, and the same goes for Dishonored since I have all three in my library. I'd love having them all running at 60fps but an option to upgrade (even if you have to pay) rather than re-buying the games would be awesome.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ineffiable posted:

That's the version that's messed up. Low audio quality, crashing on ps4 and switch, and more issues.

Audio quality is the same as on PS2, the rest not so much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oxsnard posted:

snagged the series X on gamestop holla atcha

Do they have an expected delivery date yet?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

Do they have an expected delivery date yet?

Nov 30 - Dec 3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I did something dumb

Someone sent me something on the Xbox store and I redeemed it from my email and it’s now not on the account my Xbox uses. Can this be fixed

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just got off the phone with Microsoft because I got an email about money expiring.
Sadly the phone was the only way to do it.
But the problem was that money was expiring in my account even though it should have been used months ago.
I keep barely enough in my account to pay for 2-3 months of gamepass, but somehow they've only used newer money recently for some reason.

poo poo, here in Ca its illegal for gift cards to expire. They should treat it like lent money and be happy they have extra cash to invest or whatnot.
Blatant theft in my opinion.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FunOne posted:

Lets try this again. I want my kiddo to have an account that is still linked to the Xbox GP Ultimate I pay for. This appears to just create a sub profile that only works on the Xbox. Nothing about all the other GP ultimate benefits like cloud support on his tablet.

It looks like xcloud is only for the GamerTag that has Game Pass Ultimate. Doesn't seem like there's a way to share the feature.

He could stream from your local Xbox, however. This isn't as ideal for many reasons but he could still play on his tablet using that feature.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just a quick reminder that if you were ever in the military (or say your parent was) you can sign up for the exchange website and try and score an Xbox through there. They’ve been putting them up every few days and they are probably the only Bot immune website.

https://www.mynavyexchange.com/mobile/

Also it’s tax free so you save a few bucks.

I made an account a while ago and it’s pretty simple. You don’t need any weird information just your SSN.

They just posted some xboxes and they were in stock for a good 10 min.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also if you use headphones with your Xbox a lot the Dolby headphone app is on sale for $10.

I’m not going to claim it’s some huge improvement but it is noticeable and I use my headphones quite a bit so it’s been worth it for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jabro posted:

Nov 30 - Dec 3.

siiiiiiiigh :kingsley: meanwhile my Microsoft Store order on November 9 is still scheduled for December 23.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MarcusSA posted:

Also if you use headphones with your Xbox a lot the Dolby headphone app is on sale for $10.

I’m not going to claim it’s some huge improvement but it is noticeable and I use my headphones quite a bit so it’s been worth it for me.
What's this? You have to pay for better sound? :thunk:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

What's this? You have to pay for better sound? :thunk:

Windows Sonic is built-in to the Xbox One and Series consoles. This is a better (I can't tell a difference honestly) version of that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dolby charges licensing so instead of baking that into the cost of every single unit sold you just unlock it for those who want it.

Pretty sure you used to have to pay to watch DVD movies on old Mac computers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

is this a per-account license or a per-machine license?

I had it on my one X and want to keep using it. definitely improves the sound stage in COD (presumably its just exaggerating stereo to a greater extent)

SUNKOS posted:

I would be overjoyed if the Dishonored trilogy got updates to 60fps.

I know their new game Deathloop is very similar in gameplay but with Bioshock-styled art, but I wonder if it was Bethesda that told them to move on from the Dishonored IP and Microsoft might let them return to it? Deathloop looks great and I'll definitely buy it whenever it comes out on the XSX but I'd love the Dishonored series to continue and see more of the world. I think people expected the next numbered entry to be set in Tyvia? Arkane did a great job of creating a whole world to be immersed in, I'd love to see more of it. That and a return to Unreal Engine like the first game because the custom one they used for 2 & DotO was a mess. Phenomenal level design but I'm sure they could have accomplished the same with UE.

Didnt dishonored get a definitive edition for the Xbone/PS4 rerelease? i thought it was 1080/60. I have it im pretty sure (or I did)

Both Dishonored 2 and Prey were completely unplayable on both my one and one X

one of the tomb raider games had dogshit input lag too. 30fps is only acceptable when the controls feel incredibly good (see: Halo, Destiny)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure you used to have to pay to watch DVD movies on old Mac computers.
And the original Xbox !

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Laserface posted:

is this a per-account license or a per-machine license?

I had it on my one X and want to keep using it. definitely improves the sound stage in COD (presumably its just exaggerating stereo to a greater extent)

I bought it on my XBone and am now using it on my SX, so it’s an account license.

My opinion for anyone on the fence: for games that support it, it makes a huge difference. A console update reset my audio output to Windows Sonic and I was able to tell immediately while playing Modern Warfare. It’s almost an unfair advantage to how accurately you can locate enemy players just by sound. Definitely worth $10 if you play with headphones often.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

In that case, any Dolby headset recommendations?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Akuma posted:

And the original Xbox !
Well it came in the form of a remote control and IR dongle, you couldn't buy only software.

With the 360 iirc they just ate the cost with the console, and with the bone they paid when you download it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

30fps is only acceptable when the controls feel incredibly good (see: Halo, Destiny)

Yeah I've played plenty of 30fps first person games over the years on PS3, PS4 and most of them feel ok, it's really down to the input lag.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A good chunk of DVD/Blu-Ray/music software on consoles will only work after a one-time activation online, it's a way of not paying a license fee for every single console. If you try to play a BR in a new PS4, it'll make you connect to the internet to license the drive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

In that case, any Dolby headset recommendations?

all headphones are supported. Im using Astro A40s from a decade ago (complete with custom printed speaker-tags) plugged into a Plantronics RIG headset adapter (because I like to have physical controls for volume on the controller)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
So long post and a long shot but I'm still frustrated with this...

I am extremely frustrated due to my experience with X1X and Insider. My Xbox is in Insider due to an early build of Halo MCC or maybe Minecraft RTX I tried a few years ago and I haven't thought about it since. I can't imagine I'm the only one who enrolled in Insider for early access to some beta or cool new tech and then forgot about it forever.

A few days ago, I received errors E105 and E102 when booting my X1X. These can be hardware or software problems but are very serious. Listening to the console, the hard drive sounds fine (no clicking or other strange sounds, seems to spin up okay) which is one typical diagnosis. Factory resetting just appears to restart the Xbox back into these errors. Installing OSU1 via USB just gets me E101 presumably because I'm in Insider and we can't offline update. Opening the Insider app on my PC doesn't show me my console but I unenrolled my PC / deleted my account anyways. Microsoft says a repair is $249 because my console is out of warranty. I guess my only other option is to try to put in a new internal hard drive and copy files over, but that won't fix anything if the OS version is truly busted.

My hunch is that my Xbox got updated recently to this Insider OS version (OS version is 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840) from a relatively old OS version, since I only use my Xbox every few weeks or once a month and leave it powered off the rest of the time. The upgrade process of this new Insider OS version was not tested sufficiently and essentially bricked my One X, with my only recourse being to pay $249 to fix Microsoft's problem.

Does anyone have suggestions here? I've owned every Xbox so far except the new XSX so this is really depressing to me as a long time fan :(. I had a red ringed X360 but Microsoft fixed it at their cost which actually increased my loyalty a lot.