Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

me: i can sell the M5 for easily 20% more than what I paid for it 2.5 years ago

my wife: out of curiousity how much money have you spent on it since you bought it

me: :yikes:

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

me: i can sell the M5 for easily 20% more than what I paid for it 2.5 years ago

my wife: out of curiousity how much money have you spent on it since you bought it

me: :yikes:

drat, your wife is asking the right questions.

I don't think mine has figured out the taxes/insurance/maintenance implications on my fun cars yet. Or she has, but doesn't care right now.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Ahead of what though? 15 years is a long time for, say, the S&P 500.

Ahead of not owning a 930 for essentially free for 15 years, even including maintenance?

I had been looking in 2005 so by now SPX has tripled, and I want to say I was seeing decent examples for $25k back then but I could be off because it's been 15 years. So probably roughly comparable assuming I had been putting miles on it this whole time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

Ahead of not owning a 930 for essentially free for 15 years, even including maintenance?

I had been looking in 2005 so by now SPX has tripled, and I want to say I was seeing decent examples for $25k back then but I could be off because it's been 15 years. So probably roughly comparable assuming I had been putting miles on it this whole time.

:shrug:

Things get complicated when you start mixing cars with "investing." It's one thing to say that "that car was 25k 15 years ago, and now it's $75k!" That's discounting that you need to pay for:

1. Taxes
2. Yearly registration
3. Yearly maintenance
4. Very probably a 1 $5-10k engine rebuild over that time.
5. Storage

Then take into account that those $75k cars are typically the ones that gave been pampered/survived this long, ie not driven every day for 15 years.

Maybe you're taking those things into account, I don't know, but I think you're going to have a very hard time finding a car that will consistently beat the market over a 15-20 year period even if you don't take all of those things into account.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
idk, how much is the enjoyment you get out of owning the car worth over watching numbers in your monthly updated google spreadsheet go up. when it comes down to it, this is what the market is for a lot of us and in the short term it doesn't change poo poo

imo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

idk, how much is the enjoyment you get out of owning the car worth over watching numbers in your monthly updated google spreadsheet go up. when it comes down to it, this is what the market is for a lot of us and in the short term it doesn't change poo poo

imo

Yup. That's why I try to ignore car "investing advice."

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oh I agree that in terms of absolute returns just investing would have been better, but the difference is smaller than I expected and then I would have a cool car this whole time. I would never buy a car at current prices as an investment, unless you're talking about some incredibly rare car I can't afford anyway.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

drat, your wife is asking the right questions.

I don't think mine has figured out the taxes/insurance/maintenance implications on my fun cars yet. Or she has, but doesn't care right now.

She almost certainly has. My wife has seen the maintenance and parts summary for my '82 and she's still here--that's how I know she loves me.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I will never understand this sentiment that a car must be resold at some point, as if any retained value must immediately go into a fresh new depreciating asset.

Cars are like shoes to me. I'm gonna get what fits and enjoy them instead of picking some one-size poo poo and hoping to recoup later like the plague of neutral colored SUVs taking up the roads around here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I will never understand this sentiment that a car must be resold at some point, as if any retained value must immediately go into a fresh new depreciating asset.

Cars are like shoes to me. I'm gonna get what fits and enjoy them instead of picking some one-size poo poo and hoping to recoup later like the plague of neutral colored SUVs taking up the roads around here.

All of my cars are resold at some point because I don't run a junkyard (the state makes me say this and places limits that are bullshit) so at some point they're getting sold. If only for scrap.

Also, on the less sarcastic side of this sometimes you just don't want the same thing forever and being the bagholder is a bad idea.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hey motronic tell me about 944s, i seem to recall you had one

other people can tell me about 944s too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hey motronic tell me about 944s, i seem to recall you had one

other people can tell me about 944s too

Don't. The end.

(no, they're awesome, but it's an old car and it comes with a lot of old car issues - are you ready to keep one garaged and pay premiums for things like door gaskets to keep it in good nick? If not, just buy a cheap boxster and be happy)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Yup. That's why I try to ignore car "investing advice."

Benchmark fun car vs daycare cost.

:(

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They're also half as fast as you'd think, even turbo.

I gotta drop a :yeah: on even a base 1st gen Boxster over a 944, which should somehow still eat fewer water pumps.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Benchmark fun car vs daycare cost.

:(

I was just talking about this with a friend as I saw an ad to lease a McLaren 570GT for pretty much the same cost as my child care*

*$1,571/mo, but also $20k down, 5 year lease, and capped at 2,500 miles/year, so one of the worst leases I can imagine. I assume you're on the hook for ridiculous maintenance costs too

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MomJeans420 posted:

I was just talking about this with a friend as I saw an ad to lease a McLaren 570GT for pretty much the same cost as my child care*

*$1,571/mo, but also $20k down, 5 year lease, and capped at 2,500 miles/year, so one of the worst leases I can imagine. I assume you're on the hook for ridiculous maintenance costs too

Cheaper then a Altima

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MomJeans420 posted:

McLarens are notorious for huge depreciation, even by supercar standards

Money aside though I just can't handle the idea of paying all that money for a V6

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MomJeans420 posted:

TIL I could lease a McLaren for cheaper than a track habit with some 20 year old Japanese car

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 18, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

Are we on the same e-mail list?

Whenever I see the McLaren ads (even after reading the fine print), I wonder if I'll ever end up lucky/crazy/dumb enough to do that.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 18, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That was about five hours of work. Just waiting on my blacked-out corners and that's my exterior mods basically complete.

I'm gonna hold of until tomorrow to decide whether to dip my center caps and also double check that it's safe to.

Edit:

Just gonna leave the centercaps alone. It's a nice contrast.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 23, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Blacked out LED corner markers, spécial d'aliexpress, with three rows that do front-to-back sweeps when signalling. Pretty neat for like 22 bucks compared to the OEM LED pair.

That's it for visual/exterior mods. It's mine now. Getting the wheels clean for the dip was such a nightmare that I'm probably gonna go get some low metallic pads on tomorrow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lookin sharp

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

If you're willing to take a 570S, you can get a 3 year lease with $12k down and $1850/month with the same 2500 miles/year.
https://www.mclarenofgreenwich.com/new-vehicle-2020-mclaren-570s-c-3463/

I wonder what they put the residual at...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

If you're willing to take a 570S, you can get a 3 year lease with $12k down and $1850/month with the same 2500 miles/year.

So that's $9/mile or so. Ooof.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Don't worry about the mileage cap, it'll spend half the time broken anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Don't worry about the mileage cap, it'll spend half the time broken anyway.

Wonder if the local dealer does loaners?

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

meatpimp posted:

To understand McLaren residuals, for another $250 a month you could straight up by the cheapest 12C on Autotrader for $12k down and $2100/month for three years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rakekniven posted:

To understand McLaren residuals, for another $250 a month you could straight up by the cheapest 12C on Autotrader for $12k down and $2100/month for three years.

Yeah, McLaren is literally the world's first disposable supercar manufacturer. Basically anything else you can buy will hold value or increase (barring "excessive" mileage) but never a McLaren.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's a QA Stop Sale on all 9x1's and some other cars with Sport Chrono right now, so no dealer can resell them nor will want to take them in. Speculation goes two ways that it could be to do with Launch Control but more likely it's that Sport Plus was defeating emissions controls in these cars:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7hcCRDIR4uzxZE3W6UZZxAHOMccSDsP/view?usp=sharing

Related article from a few months ago regarding emissions and Porsche:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-porsche-manipulation-idUSKBN25K13P

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I drove up the mountain roads for the first time in the Taycan last night. This thing is incredible, just so much torque. It hides the weight well, going uphill at least, I'll see what happens with 2200kg heading downhill tomorrow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ranzear posted:

There's a QA Stop Sale on all 9x1's and some other cars with Sport Chrono right now, so no dealer can resell them nor will want to take them in. Speculation goes two ways that it could be to do with Launch Control but more likely it's that Sport Plus was defeating emissions controls in these cars:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7hcCRDIR4uzxZE3W6UZZxAHOMccSDsP/view?usp=sharing

Related article from a few months ago regarding emissions and Porsche:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-porsche-manipulation-idUSKBN25K13P

Looks like only older ones though, fwiw, so at least they also stopped cheating.

Edit: stopped cheating on that specific things.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 25, 2020

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe VAG was cheating on emissions, wait no I do believe it. This seems oddly specific cheating. Good new is if my search indicated anything this only effects 2 cars.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Good new is if my search indicated anything this only effects 2 cars.

Pdf above. Not just two cars. 991s and 981s but also some Cayennes and Panameras.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Porsche Thread: Just buy a used McLaren

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.classaction.org/media/del-barrio-et-al-v-dr-ing-hc-f-porsche-ag-et-al.pdf

The claim is that shorter gearing than when tested caused higher emissions output, but this doesn't quite fit with the list of cars in the stop sale nor having anything to do with Sport Chrono vehicles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2.5 Months of 993 Ownership Update: Still in love with the car. Only changes have been:

1. Ordered/installed a Continental Radio that looks period correct but has bluetooth. It was either buy this for $150 or buy the Porsche Carplay Radio for $1200, which I almost did but then came to my senses.
2. Put in new hood struts.
3. Found out that I should have either a spare DME Fuel Relay or upgrade to a solid state one that some guy is selling for $70 ($50 on Black Friday) if I don't want to get stranded by the side of the road some day.
4. Santa is probably bringing me a new set of floor mats.

There's something about this car that just makes you seem so much more approachable than when you're driving a newer car. People smile/wave, guys stop at the gas station to reminisce about their old Porsche, etc. It's kind of nice and much better than being an rear end in a top hat in a new sports car.

Still absolutely love this thing. Too bad winter has finally come to the North East.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tell me what you think of the Continental. Are you getting a plug and play wiring kit too? Doing anything with the speakers?

I've been thinking about a Continental with the 996 but have yet to do anything.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Tell me what you think of the Continental. Are you getting a plug and play wiring kit too? Doing anything with the speakers?

I've been thinking about a Continental with the 996 but have yet to do anything.

I ended up making my own harness from an ISO extension I got from eBay (it's just swapping two pins), but there's a guy who makes them and sells them whose website is back up now: https://www.bergvillfx.com/categories/wiring-harnesses The radio itself is fine. It's definitely barebones (ie, bluetooth audio doesn't display song names/etc), but the built in bluetooth mic works well enough for phone calls, which is a nice bonus. FWIW, I greatly prefer it to the kludgey solution I had to use in my old Spyder, which involved plugging a rechargeable bluetooth adapter in to the aux-in.

Haven't done anything with the speakers yet, but I'm thinking about it. I don't want to do anything that's not OEM-ish. Was thinking this for the rear speakers: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK964REARSPKR.html Still not sure what I'll do for the front speakers.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:drat: