Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Ate a kipper. Wait. Hang on.
Ate a mackerel.
Ate a cod.

What a great way to stretch my incoming 3070. drat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

With the global failure of card deliveries (more than we usually get on a release) + covid, i'm more than happy to sit out this years releases and be happy with my 5700xt.... losing my job is also an incentive to be sure. ;-)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
3060ti looks like it punches too close to the 3070 to differentiate below 1440p so i expect demand to remain bonkers

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfAbGo9OJw

AMD cards coming out in 2021 looking pretty good!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

buglord posted:

Have there been any 3070 FE drops on Best Buy since launch? My mission is half over now that I’ve secured a triple fan 3070 for my buddy’s first computer. Now I just need a dual fan one which will fit into my SG13 ITX case.

Yes, there was one last Friday. Quantities are still limited, obviously, but I was able to grab one for my girlfriend without too much trouble. You do absolutely need to have a BB account with all your info already loaded and ready to go, though, and when the stock notice button goes to "Please Wait" or it tells you it needs "One more thing..." you need to NOT reload the page--just sit there and wait. If there're any left it'll eventually change back to the normal Add to Cart button on its own, at which point you mad-rush through checkout and hope you win.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Are there any 3080 AIBs with known issues to avoid, or is it safe to desperately click anything that pops up on a stock tracker?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Thoom posted:

Are there any 3080 AIBs with known issues to avoid, or is it safe to desperately click anything that pops up on a stock tracker?

AFAIK all the 3080 cards are fine.

On the 3070 side the 2 fan Zotacs are the only ones that seems kind of lame because they have a loud/undersized cooler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Asus TUF/Strix line are regularly the highest rated card for AIB performance and thermals but every other manufacturer is within MOE of one another.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DrDork posted:

Yes, there was one last Friday. Quantities are still limited, obviously, but I was able to grab one for my girlfriend without too much trouble. You do absolutely need to have a BB account with all your info already loaded and ready to go, though, and when the stock notice button goes to "Please Wait" or it tells you it needs "One more thing..." you need to NOT reload the page--just sit there and wait. If there're any left it'll eventually change back to the normal Add to Cart button on its own, at which point you mad-rush through checkout and hope you win.

Yeah I did this exact same process to nab my buddy's Ventus x3 3070 last Friday morning. I've had great luck with the Best Buy app. Its just that the 3070 FEs seem so rare compraed to everything else.

bus hustler posted:

3060ti looks like it punches too close to the 3070 to differentiate below 1440p so i expect demand to remain bonkers
you're in like all the threads I read and I just wanna say you have a kickin rad av, hustler of busses

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Rolling Scissors posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfAbGo9OJw

AMD cards coming out in 2021 looking pretty good!

https://imgur.com/a/z1zEXGW gallery of just the benchmarks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol why did he get banned from pubg

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sounds like whatever script he was running (in the "offline" training mode) to make his benchmarks repeatable made him look like a bot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DrDork posted:

well,

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do kind of love how Buildzoid has poo poo all over the Zotac and MSI designs already. Zotac's is visibly cheap while MSI's PCB is just - even as someone with maybe 0.5% of Buildzoid's knowledge of computer minutiae I can look at it and say "that ain't right."

I think EVGA is the only card I haven't heard about when it comes to people having coil whine, but that might also be a function of everyone boycotting their weird-rear end lipstick GPU.

ASUS TUF seems to be a better buy than ASUS Strix and EVGA QC3/FTW3 in terms of quality relative to performance, and you still get a vBIOS switch for quiet/performance mode as well as more than one HDMI port. There don't seem to be any egregious disasters this generation, but some Strix models seem to have quite nasty coil whine, although that might be a 3090 thing.

Which is probably also why so many people ditched EVGA, because with so many cards being fairly similar, people will buy based on looks, and EVGA sure hosed that up this time around.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

exquisite tea posted:

The Asus TUF/Strix line are regularly the highest rated card for AIB performance and thermals but every other manufacturer is within MOE of one another.

Asus are also the only ones who put more than one hdmi on their cards. Possible decision point.

You can of course use passive DP converters for hdmi 1.4 but if you have hdmi 2.0 then you’ll need active converters. It is easier just to have two ports on the card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Asus are also the only ones who put more than one hdmi on their cards. Possible decision point.

Gigabyte have dual HDMIs as well

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

ufarn posted:

I think EVGA is the only card I haven't heard about when it comes to people having coil whine, but that might also be a function of everyone boycotting their weird-rear end lipstick GPU.

i think that they stopped sending them with the clown lips on. in any case I don't think anyone Is boycotting something that can't stay on virtual shelves. they'd still sell if they gave it even more clown lips

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

repiv posted:

the maps typically have about 300 real NPCs but they can have 1000+ of the crowd NPCs

Crowds are pretty dumb IRL so I don't see the issue.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can of course use passive DP converters for hdmi 1.4 but if you have hdmi 2.0 then you’ll need active converters. It is easier just to have two ports on the card.

repiv posted:

Gigabyte have dual HDMIs as well

The Gigabyte AORUS cards actually have 3x HDMI and 3x DP. You know, if you want to bleed money out of your rear end in a top hat for one.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

AirRaid posted:

The Gigabyte AORUS cards actually have 3x HDMI and 3x DP. You know, if you want to bleed money out of your rear end in a top hat for one.

Who wouldn’t pay extra to have a tamagotchi on their GPU?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Voxx posted:

i think that they stopped sending them with the clown lips on. in any case I don't think anyone Is boycotting something that can't stay on virtual shelves. they'd still sell if they gave it even more clown lips

My XC3 Ultra from Best Buy last week has clown lips

Though I'm planning on using Step Up into a 3080Ti if it exists in time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The evga clown lips do look less ridiculous in person, imo. The lightbar on the FTW3 quite literally outshines it. It’s def the best rgb implementation I’ve ever seen. The two other leds on the card I immediately turned off but the lightbar I actually left on, which I didn’t expect.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speeeeeaking of that, I just got my queue alert for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra, so if a goon wants it at cost hit me up fast or imma let it roll to the next person.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3897-KR

If someone does want it, please be aware that I WILL be requiring you to provide me with One Local Goodie as payment.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Eagerly waiting for a day where I can casually add a 5600x and 6800xt/3080 to my amazon cart.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

infraboy posted:

Eagerly waiting for a day where I can casually add a 5600x and 6800xt/3080 to my amazon cart.

im going to make a game but instead of "pc building sim" its "pc parts buying sim" where you just get to experience things being in stock, competitive pricing, etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

infraboy posted:

But then something new and better will be about to "launch"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think someone may have asked about Control in here, and the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC is $20 on Steam right now. Highly recommend.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

Speeeeeaking of that, I just got my queue alert for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra, so if a goon wants it at cost hit me up fast or imma let it roll to the next person.

If someone does want it, please be aware that I WILL be requiring you to provide me with One Local Goodie as payment.

I’ll take it, and when I get my turn I’ll pass it on too.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think someone may have asked about Control in here, and the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC is $20 on Steam right now. Highly recommend.

Even cheaper on Fanatical (in £, anyway).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also $16 on Green Man Gaming for the next day and change.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

DrDork posted:

Did this and I managed to grab a 3070. Took 3 tries all with different cards but it worked in the end. I mashed so quickly I selected store pickup so hopefully I get the email that it's arrived at the store today...

RoboTiio
Dec 29, 2007
ointernet!

Cygni posted:

Animal posted:

I’ll take it, and when I get my turn I’ll pass it on too.

Just want to throw my name into this queue if you did pick up that 3080 Cygni. Guess I'll buy a plat upgrade on the off chance I need to PM.

Look at what you made me do, paper launch.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

RoboTiio posted:

Just want to throw my name into this queue if you did pick up that 3080 Cygni. Guess I'll buy a plat upgrade on the off chance I need to PM.

Sounds good, you might get one sooner than you think. I just check and I might be close.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Just Another Lurker posted:

With the global failure of card deliveries (more than we usually get on a release) + covid, i'm more than happy to sit out this years releases and be happy with my 5700xt.... losing my job is also an incentive to be sure. ;-)

I haven't even thought of jumping on a new card, I picked up a 2070S before the 3000 series dropped & it's been great for 1440p for me so far. By the time supply actually ramps up for current AMD/Nvidia cards, we'll be seeing release ads for the 7000 & 4000 series :laffo:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In line with the leaked official benchmarks, it's a bit faster than the 2080 Super

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1331712910385700867?s=19

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I haven't even thought of jumping on a new card, I picked up a 2070S before the 3000 series dropped & it's been great for 1440p for me so far. By the time supply actually ramps up for current AMD/Nvidia cards, we'll be seeing release ads for the 7000 & 4000 series :laffo:

nobody on any sort of 2080 card should be upgrading unless you're already stretching it at 4k or make money via the card somehow (or if money is of course totally no object, go nuts).

3080 super or 3080ti or whatever in a year or two is going to be real nice if you can get today's 3090 performance for like $700.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thought it was my 970 struggling with 1440p, but does this look more like a single core issue?

It'll occasionally dip like this from 100.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thanks Cygni for your spot on the EVGA queue! I’m passing on my spots to other people here.

RoboTiio posted:

Quoting this for posterity to put RoboTiio on my queue for my EVGA waiting list, with Don Lapre who PM’d me being next in line. I have a XC3 Gaming and an XC3 Black on the list at Sept 16 7:48PM (Day 1 of the queue) so as soon as I get the emails to order, they will take my place.

I encourage other people who don’t need their spots on the queue to do the same, EVGA allows you to ship to a different address than the billing address, Cygni already ordered my card and I PayPal’d him.

RoboTiio please PM when you get a chance.

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 25, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to be put on the 3080 love list.

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

As would I, I can offer many local treats and home baked goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone jump on that 3080 drop on newegg? They were all monster :hmbol: Gigabyte cards that wouldn't even fit in my case.