Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

nessin posted:

Frozen is fine so long as your DPS unit is a claymore user, which is why Chongyun and XQ are a crazy good combo. Nothing awkward about it.

Ayaka is supposed to be a sword user though, which makes her awkward with frozen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Shattered seems weirdly undertuned. It does less damage than overload and electro-charged and the damage it deals is physical (which is usually a bad thing).

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It also has 3 conditions (cryo + hydro + claymore or geo) rather than the 2 that other reactions require. Balance on reactions in general seems pretty bad.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
it does scale with EM (iirc) and gets a boost from superconduct. I think it has a lot of potential that just can't be realized with the current skillsets available, but it's something I'm keeping in mind with all the new geo and cryo units coming out.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
When the cryo artifact set comes out, maybe non-shatter freeze will be more of a thing.

Regardless, what everyone seems to overlook about freeze is that DPS is a breeze when the thing you're smacking doesn't move or hit back.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it's free damage while you're cc'ing, if it happens to be lower then that's probably the balance consideration

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It also gives you crit if you have double ice in the party.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I was talking about Ningguang's damage at C6 earlyer, so I made a quick video to show what I meant: https://youtu.be/68LRX_IIuSw

This is at WL5 since I'm only AL43 but I really hope this will still be possible at WL6 when I farm up better equipment.

What would you say are the most important aspects of that? The sixth constellation gives the strong charged attack after using Starshatter, though most of the damage seems to be done before that. I imagine artifacts are playing a big role.

It seems like the most important single-target DPS constellations for that are C2, C6, and maybe C3?

Also, aren't you actually losing out on some DPS by not running through the screen for the geo buff?

homeless snail posted:

They've also referred to this as the "Teyvat chapter" and your character is already a dimension hopper so they've already written themselves a justification for adding stuff indefinitely

Also all the character stories being "Act 1" or whatever. I'm honestly curious how that's supposed to work, since they're adding characters at a pace that seems at least equal to them adding story chapters (and the story chapters are generally content with their own voiced lines and cutscenes).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Magus42 posted:

Pretty sure that was fixed already.

Oh good. I linked my account this morning just to be safe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NINGGUANG, 4 TIMES IN A ROW

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I was talking about Ningguang's damage at C6 earlyer, so I made a quick video to show what I meant: https://youtu.be/68LRX_IIuSw

This is at WL5 since I'm only AL43 but I really hope this will still be possible at WL6 when I farm up better equipment.

This is a good video but aren’t you missing a chunk of DPS by not passing through your screen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I wish!!!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ytlaya posted:

What would you say are the most important aspects of that? The sixth constellation gives the strong charged attack after using Starshatter, though most of the damage seems to be done before that. I imagine artifacts are playing a big role.

It seems like the most important single-target DPS constellations for that are C2, C6, and maybe C3?

Also, aren't you actually losing out on some DPS by not running through the screen for the geo buff?

C2 is probably the biggest thing, the double jade screen is a big source of damage, after that C5 then C6, though C1 is still very important for groups. Equipment also plays a big role, mostly the weapon, Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds at level 80, I have decent artifacts but not amazing ones, atk on two pieces and crit chance on the helm, two pieces are still 4* too.

EDIT: As far as passing through the screen for the buff, taking the time to do that delays the kill by a little bit and can risk getting caught in the attacks so I don't bother when I'm farming these guys. In longer fights it's worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 25, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I wish!!!

I just want more characters, why is it so impossible to get a variety of characters instead of one multiple times?! :negative:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

RareAcumen posted:

teach me how

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

dogsicle posted:

no idea what g.gg recommends but:

- ascend to 60/70 for both passive unlocks
- give highest ATK sword you have freely available, recharge% is a good substat for her (Skyrider, Favonius, Sacrificial), Rancor is perfectly good as an f2p option
- 2pc Maiden's + 2pc Exile/Scholar or full 4pc Maiden's
- artifact stats aren't a huge deal. healing% hat would be super nice and recharge% hourglass is another option, otherwise ATK% is fine
- she's mostly a skill and burst bot, but you may do some short combos with her to apply one of her passive seals so other characters can heal off that. just keep the 30s cooldown on that ability in mind so you don't waste time trying to apply seals again. she can also tank when things get hairy if you keep her out and comboing during her skill/after burst

2pc Exile + 2pc Scholar is also quite good on her to give her more energy recharge so she can use her ult more often (and heal more that way).

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

re: cryo resonance/reaction chat. they can just design characters accounting for the fact that these are weaker than others to make up for the damage lost. the good/bad elements are really more like, how much work does it take to make this elemental team work? if you look at how many different pyro teams you can make that all have comparable theoretical dps and how much work it is to make a good hydro team, you can kinda see how they probably want this to play out.

this is probably also why abyss is locked to fire on floor 12, its the easiest to build around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zgrowler2 posted:

teach me how

To be specific, I don't mean 4 wishes and each of them was Ningguang, no no no.

I mean every time I got the pity from rolling and earned a character, it was Ningguang every time. The last time I rolled and got new characters was back in the old thread when I got Razor and Fischl.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Luckily Ningguang doesn't need other party members much, so it doesn't matter that all you have is Ningguangs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

C2 is probably the biggest thing, the double jade screen is a big source of damage, after that C5 then C6, though C1 is still very important for groups. Equipment also plays a big role, mostly the weapon, Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds at level 80, I have decent artifacts but not amazing ones, atk on two pieces and crit chance on the helm, two pieces are still 4* too.

EDIT: As far as passing through the screen for the buff, taking the time to do that delays the kill by a little bit and can risk getting caught in the attacks so I don't bother when I'm farming these guys. In longer fights it's worth it.

Ah, forgot to consider weapon (though it actually seems like the effect on yours doesn't benefit your video much, due to gaining power over time). I don't have any 5* catalysts, so I'm using Solar Pearl (which will be upgraded to R2 really soon from the current BP). Solar Pearl seems like a reasonable match for Ningguang due to the short time between using skills and attacking.

My other catalyst candidate is Eye of Perception, which is R4. It's hard to tell which works out to more damage overall.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ytlaya posted:

Also all the character stories being "Act 1" or whatever. I'm honestly curious how that's supposed to work, since they're adding characters at a pace that seems at least equal to them adding story chapters (and the story chapters are generally content with their own voiced lines and cutscenes).

All but Childe's at least. It said story finish and there was no to be continued. Which is curious since they made a big deal about pinky promising to visit in Sneznaya.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

All but Childe's at least. It said story finish and there was no to be continued. Which is curious since they made a big deal about pinky promising to visit in Sneznaya.

I can't believe Childe will loving die!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hmm idk I dunno if Jean is better than Barbara. At damage sure, but it's also nice to have Barbara's ability to freeze stuff on command w/ Chong

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, forgot to consider weapon (though it actually seems like the effect on yours doesn't benefit your video much, due to gaining power over time). I don't have any 5* catalysts, so I'm using Solar Pearl (which will be upgraded to R2 really soon from the current BP). Solar Pearl seems like a reasonable match for Ningguang due to the short time between using skills and attacking.

My other catalyst candidate is Eye of Perception, which is R4. It's hard to tell which works out to more damage overall.

Solar Pearl has some good synergy with Ningguang because her burst is so quick, but it seems like Prototype Malice is also really good for the same reason? I guess it depends how main she is.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Run XQ and Jean and suddenly you have 2 good units rather than clogging up your team with a bad unit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Random tip from Jinx stream: use Beidou counter plus a fire char to set grass on fire to mine very quickly. Makes it almost painless to quickly mine.

berenzen posted:

Run XQ and Jean and suddenly you have 2 good units rather than clogging up your team with a bad unit.

Yeah, was going to post this. XQ and Chong are very nice. Jean is decent because she's pretty tanky. Her throw can situationally be great. I used Barbara from when I got her to like AR40. The biggest thing I miss is her C6, which is a giant convenience if you accidentally get squished.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ytlaya posted:

The effect of Lost Prayer was in full effect there actually, the text on it is somewhat misleading, you gain 8% elemental damage every 4 seconds that the character who has it equipped is on the field, so after 12 seconds you get +32% elemental damage until you switch to another character. IIRC Solar Pearl is her best 4* weapon. Memory of Dust is competitive with Lost Prayer but is harder to build for because of substats on artifacts and needing a crit helm and geo damage time piece.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Squiddycat posted:

Hmm idk I dunno if Jean is better than Barbara. At damage sure, but it's also nice to have Barbara's ability to freeze stuff on command w/ Chong

I hate how much of a liability Barbara is against Cryo enemies. If she didn't keep drenching the party I think I'd be okay with her (although I think I'd still prefer Diona), but I'm really sick of my own healer putting debuffs on me.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I think I might make an exception for C6 Barbara, because her capstone ability seems just absurd. But until then, she's benched except against fire shielded enemies.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't any element affix skill going to have the same issue in some regard? Bennett applies fire to the team that makes you vulnerable to overloads and melts/vaporizes and so on. i figure it's meant as a tradeoff for their ability to remove elemental debuffs, especially with Bennett and Barbara being able to fully cleanse their party.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Frozen is by far the worst status enemies can apply to you, though. (And the most annoying.)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Getting frozen is a lot more annoying than the other reactions you can self-cause

If that one effect with the high DoT burning were more common than cryo enemies, maybe Barb and her repeated self-hydro would have more favorable encounters.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Barbara's constant self-hydro application is really useful in certain niche situations where you want to remove pyro though (a very notable example being abyss 10).

Regarding Chongyun freeze comps, I kinda regret putting a bunch of resources into him. There are a load of awkward things about chong's kit and with freeze comps in general.
His normals dealing cryo damage and shatter dealing physical damage means you don't get the full benefit of either cryo res reduction or phys res reduction.
The cryo res reduction debuff the moment you hit the downtime of his cryo aura is a baffling bit of design.
Most of the elite bosses are immune to being shattered (technically the frozen reaction occurs, but this doesn't do any damage and they don't get frozen).
Any enemies with innate elements (other than hydro) also screw up your ability to freeze.
Chong needs to be built with carry stats, but he's also always the trigger for shatter, so you have to rely on EM buffs like sucrose/instructor to boost shatter damage.

In situations where freeze comps can do their thing it can feel good, but it's too situational to really be a good A-Team setup. Chong's dps is relatively poor compared to other carry options if you're not getting the full benefit of shatter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ashenai posted:

I hate how much of a liability Barbara is against Cryo enemies. If she didn't keep drenching the party I think I'd be okay with her (although I think I'd still prefer Diona), but I'm really sick of my own healer putting debuffs on me.

It's arguably useful in that it's an on-demand "cleanse" (something that's relatively rare; Razor, Bennett, and Jean also have them on their bursts, former for himself and latter for anyone in the AoE, and I think Diona's skill is another self-application), something that's invaluable in certain domains, but Hydro is definitely worse than most other elements as a cleanse option due to the Cryo interaction.

Geo seems like it'd be the "best" cleansing element, meanwhile, since its interactions wouldn't be bad for you at all, whereas Anemo making Swirls seems like it could still be inconvenient for co-op and the others usually aren't ideal even if they're less annoying than Freeze is. Appropriate, since Geo's already the "defensive" element.

Topic of interactions, Overload is pretty annoying against you too; from what I can tell it doesn't even need to hit you, just be caused by enemies near you, in order to send you flying, which makes grass fires and the Treasure Hoarder bottle throwers extra annoying. (Which was also the main reason in the previous phase of the event the 10+ Treasure Hoarder version, possibly in part due to it happening with a Pyro meteorite, wound up being the only one I ever had enough trouble with to turn the difficulty down; it seemed like I'd dodge the attacks and still get juggled around, because the splash AoEs left by the bottles would overlap and Overload anyway. It was very frustrating.) I wonder if that kind of thing is intentional; I think they mentioned Overload being planned for some adjustment in announcement they made regarding the environmental Pyro damage and stuff but that it'd come later?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

combination of the forced QTE and Barb not bringing much else to the table probably seals it for most people, which i get. i just think all those other reactions are equally if not more dangerous and you have stuff like getting overloaded out of your healing/damage circle definitely being an issue with Bennett. even in a safer situation like the Stage 2 event, the electro meteors were pulsing me out of the points circle.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

hit button posted:

Barbara's constant self-hydro application is really useful in certain niche situations where you want to remove pyro though (a very notable example being abyss 10).

Regarding Chongyun freeze comps, I kinda regret putting a bunch of resources into him. There are a load of awkward things about chong's kit and with freeze comps in general.
His normals dealing cryo damage and shatter dealing physical damage means you don't get the full benefit of either cryo res reduction or phys res reduction.
The cryo res reduction debuff the moment you hit the downtime of his cryo aura is a baffling bit of design.
Most of the elite bosses are immune to being shattered (technically the frozen reaction occurs, but this doesn't do any damage and they don't get frozen).
Any enemies with innate elements (other than hydro) also screw up your ability to freeze.
Chong needs to be built with carry stats, but he's also always the trigger for shatter, so you have to rely on EM buffs like sucrose/instructor to boost shatter damage.

In situations where freeze comps can do their thing it can feel good, but it's too situational to really be a good A-Team setup. Chong's dps is relatively poor compared to other carry options if you're not getting the full benefit of shatter.

*cough*

gandlethorpe posted:

My DPS has felt pretty fine.

Cryo slimes do make me cry though.

But yeah, some of the things you point out are gripes for me. Still, it hasn't stopped me from rolling 90% of AR45+ content with an 80/60/60/60 team.

Bosses being essentially immune to freeze is annoying, especially when the words still pop up. It would be nice if they just instantly took the shatter damage or something. But you only do bosses when you're ascending toons or doing the three weeklies, in which case it's easy enough to swap for the 2-5 minutes that takes. Most bosses demand you take someone you wouldn't normally use anyway, or are straight up immune to what you're running. Side note, I'm salty that they'd make 1 out of 3 (previously 2) weekly bosses immune to my main's element, but I still take Chong out of spite.

As for shatter damage, I really hope that if they add the artifact set from beta, it gets updated to boost shatter. Otherwise, it'd be the only reaction damage not boosted from a set. Kind of weird if it only affected melt and superconduct. It being physical is a bit of a bummer, missing out on extra damage unless you run superconduct, which has its own issues. With my EM share comp, I find that it already deals respectable damage, adding about a full attack chain's worth of damage over the course of Chong's E.

The res happening at the end is weird, but it does last long enough to boost your next E's initial hit. I run Sucrose with VV anyway, and that's way more impactful than the 10%.

In any case, every element kind of has awkwardness with reactions, except for pyro which gets everything. They're the only ones whose reactions all deal the same type of damage. I hope when they add dendro in, they can do a balance pass of the whole system.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
You can use almost anyone as a carry if you really want to. When people say a character is "good" what they really mean is that compared to other characters, this character needs less resources invested and/or less specific team comps to work well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dogsicle posted:

combination of the forced QTE and Barb not bringing much else to the table probably seals it for most people, which i get. i just think all those other reactions are equally if not more dangerous and you have stuff like getting overloaded out of your healing/damage circle definitely being an issue with Bennett. even in a safer situation like the Stage 2 event, the electro meteors were pulsing me out of the points circle.
They are insanely less dangerous. Everyone is desperate to take barbara out of their party from floor 11 onwards and almost nobody cares about Bennett's status effect. Part of it is Barbara constantly reapplying it (XQ's wet status proc is annoying but manageable).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know what sucks? Getting frozen while playing on mobile. It is extremely awkward to press quickly on the phone screen like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Prototype Malice has HP% as a substat which makes it pretty inferior to pretty much every other catalyst if you're using Ningguang as a damage dealer. But since Ningguang can charge her burst so fast (she's the only 40 energy catalyst user), you will be able to trigger the HP regen/energy regen on cooldown which provides a pretty decent amount of sustained healing for the party on top of the geo crystals she'll constantly be making.