Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I tried to sign up my account as a developer and it's giving me some "not authorized" message and says to contact my account administrator (which is me). Do I need to make a new microsoft account to do it or does it just hate me for some reason? I want yet another device that can play PS2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wait can the series x seriously emulate PS2?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

https://www.antonline.com/Microsoft/Miscellaneous/1414487

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're working on a PCSX2 core for Retroarch at the moment. Not sure how stable it is right now but I'd imagine it will very shortly.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Valhalla patch dropped to fix issues on the X also now 60 fps on the S. Might grab it on sale now that the bigger issues look to be solved.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Evil Robot posted:

So long post and a long shot but I'm still frustrated with this...

I am extremely frustrated due to my experience with X1X and Insider. My Xbox is in Insider due to an early build of Halo MCC or maybe Minecraft RTX I tried a few years ago and I haven't thought about it since. I can't imagine I'm the only one who enrolled in Insider for early access to some beta or cool new tech and then forgot about it forever.

A few days ago, I received errors E105 and E102 when booting my X1X. These can be hardware or software problems but are very serious. Listening to the console, the hard drive sounds fine (no clicking or other strange sounds, seems to spin up okay) which is one typical diagnosis. Factory resetting just appears to restart the Xbox back into these errors. Installing OSU1 via USB just gets me E101 presumably because I'm in Insider and we can't offline update. Opening the Insider app on my PC doesn't show me my console but I unenrolled my PC / deleted my account anyways. Microsoft says a repair is $249 because my console is out of warranty. I guess my only other option is to try to put in a new internal hard drive and copy files over, but that won't fix anything if the OS version is truly busted.

My hunch is that my Xbox got updated recently to this Insider OS version (OS version is 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840) from a relatively old OS version, since I only use my Xbox every few weeks or once a month and leave it powered off the rest of the time. The upgrade process of this new Insider OS version was not tested sufficiently and essentially bricked my One X, with my only recourse being to pay $249 to fix Microsoft's problem.

Does anyone have suggestions here? I've owned every Xbox so far except the new XSX so this is really depressing to me as a long time fan :(. I had a red ringed X360 but Microsoft fixed it at their cost which actually increased my loyalty a lot.

That’s really crappy! I would tweet at their support channel and mention an insider build bricked you. Maybe the standard support channels don’t know what insider builds are?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Evil Robot posted:

Does anyone have suggestions here? I've owned every Xbox so far except the new XSX so this is really depressing to me as a long time fan :(. I had a red ringed X360 but Microsoft fixed it at their cost which actually increased my loyalty a lot.

As a long time Xbox Insider and former alpha channel tester, Insider builds shouldn't install automatically, they should present a splashscreen at first boot that asks you whether you want to install the update or skip logging into XBL and use the console offline, UNLESS you are in instant-on mode. If you're in instant-on mode.....then you shouldn't be worried about your system getting updated from a really old OS version, because even if you didn't use it for weeks, it would have still been installing the latest system updates available the entire time. If you were able to go in and unenroll the box from the Insider program from your account settings/the app/the website, the console should automatically get the signal for a fresh install of the latest retail build upon connecting to the internet.

I can't be sure but I suspect that you may actually have a hardware problem. If you cannot factory reset without seeing "Something went wrong", I think you may have a real bonafide hardware problem on your hands. Try connecting an ethernet cable if you haven't got one plugged in and doing the factory reset with it hardwired to the net.

My X1X has been in the Insider program literally since the first day I got it so I'll do some snooping, if I find anything out, I'll let you know

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 25, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wait can the series x seriously emulate PS2?

RetroArch just needs to update their UWP client to support this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s amazing news.

Also great to hear Valhalla is now 60 on the series s.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

Didnt dishonored get a definitive edition for the Xbone/PS4 rerelease? i thought it was 1080/60. I have it im pretty sure (or I did)

Definitive Edition is 1080p/30fps on both. It's just a res increase and some slightly better textures. I have no idea how it doesn't run at 60fps on either console. PS4 version was slightly different in that they have some audio (the heart, teleport sounds etc.) come through that speaker on the controller.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Crafty posted:

I have been playing a lot more games since I got my Series X and I put that down to speedy boot up and game switching. I end up jumping in for quick games which just wasn't possible with the lovely loading times of last gen. It's taken three generations, but I'm finally going to complete GTA5 story, the loading times on that game just took too long for me in the past.

I forgot to download full spectrum warrior before it got taken off games with gold, its £11.99 :(

Quick Resume does something with my mind for sure. I was playing a lot of AC:V last week - until they removed Quick Resume from it. Now I've played a lot less just as it takes that bit longer to actually get back into where I was.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just picked up The Outer Worlds on game pass. It's actually pretty good, I didn't expect it to be. It's by Obsidian and I'm getting heavy Fallout vibes from it, it even has VATS.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's good for like the first 3 hours but then you realize it's all the same setting and the writing is really bad. I enjoyed it as a free experience though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Definitive Edition is 1080p/30fps on both. It's just a res increase and some slightly better textures. I have no idea how it doesn't run at 60fps on either console. PS4 version was slightly different in that they have some audio (the heart, teleport sounds etc.) come through that speaker on the controller.

I just don’t think Arkane are good at optimising their games, particularly on consoles. It’s a real shame, Prey is one of the coolest games I’ve ever played but it feels totally poo poo on console and the load times are insane.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm not posting the link here because I think it's sketchy, but have you heard about a version of Retroarch that is whitelisted for you and works on Retail mode?

Yes, people are doing it. They are expecting Microsoft to crack down on it soon though.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/how-one-developer-is-sneaking-emulators-through-a-hole-in-the-xbox-store/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That poo poo sucks and those people are dumb. Using dev mode is easy and is only $19. All this is gonna do is make Microsoft pay closer attention to this stuff. Hope they just get their dev account nuked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you're planning on buying an xbox series to do emulation you better do it pretty quick because they will absolutely shut that poo poo down now that the info is everywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

If you're planning on buying an xbox series to do emulation you better do it pretty quick because they will absolutely shut that poo poo down now that the info is everywhere.

Not likely seeing as how it’s been around since the One.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Save from changing to a yearly fee for developer access there's not really anything they could do to "shut it down".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

Save from changing to a yearly fee for developer access there's not really anything they could do to "shut it down".

couldnt they pull an Apple and just remove the app from the store?

pretty sure in the case of Apple they can even go to the length of forcibly removing apps from devices if they *really* violate ToS

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Does Microsoft have some reason to give a poo poo? They don't sell SNES games or PS2 games.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

American McGay posted:

It's good for like the first 3 hours but then you realize it's all the same setting and the writing is really bad. I enjoyed it as a free experience though.

Yeah but its like 4 hours long so

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

John F Bennett posted:

I just picked up The Outer Worlds on game pass. It's actually pretty good, I didn't expect it to be. It's by Obsidian and I'm getting heavy Fallout vibes from it, it even has VATS.

Yeah I enjoyed it enough to finish it. It's a new IP and a little barebones in some aspects but is a decent foundation for an Outer Worlds 2.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Does Microsoft have some reason to give a poo poo? They don't sell SNES games or PS2 games.

Nintendo/Sony might have some reason to give a poo poo.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

Sony removed Linux from PS3's OS despite it being an advertised feature of the console so I wouldn't rule it out.

Honestly though I hope Microsoft leaves it since it only benefits them and people who own Xboxes. Even if other companies start breathing down their neck I'd ride it out as long as possible or ignore them. Sony didn't care about anything being done with Linux on PS3 until someone found a way to use it to actually pirate PS3 games - people running emulators for SNES games didn't bother them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nintendo will just put pressure on the developer to shut it down and they probably cant afford the legal battle in what is very likely a case they would lose. They dont even have to ask microsoft to pull the app.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Laserface posted:

couldnt they pull an Apple and just remove the app from the store?

pretty sure in the case of Apple they can even go to the length of forcibly removing apps from devices if they *really* violate ToS

In my experience the app store on the xbox is full of trash that never gets taken down.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think they probably could have got away with this if they weren't charging 20 bucks for it. You lose some plausible deniability when you're profiting off something people are primarily using to emulate your rivals games.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I hope everyone is cool though. Emu boxes are fun and good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

In my experience the app store on the xbox is full of trash that never gets taken down.

unofficial strategy guides to every ps4 and switch game are my favorite items they leave on there

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Microsoft isn't any more liable for what people do on Xbox dev mode, than they are for what people do with Windows PCs. Dev mode is just a sandbox where people can run their own code, Microsoft is not providing or hosting Retroarch, that's all done by the homebrew community.

This "retail" workaround is murkier because the Retroarch builds appear to be uploaded and downloaded from Microsoft's servers. Even then, the precedent going all the way back to the days of Bleem!, is in Microsoft's favor.

Nobody is knocking down the doors of the Raspberry Pi Foundation because thousands of people use their hardware to set up RetroPi machines.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If it becomes a big deal, I’d expect Nintendo to reach out to Microsoft. There’s a big difference between the tiny hobbyist company selling general purpose computers that can run an emulator and the frenemy mega corp having an easy to install emulator on their game appliance. Long before you get to the point of litigation, there’s good reasons for those two to want a decent business relationship.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsofts argument will be its no different from a windows computer or smartphone and whatever code someone runs is on them. I can't see a successful suit from Sony or Nintendo doing this when apple and google's platforms exist as well.

Microsoft won't shut it down because a) it undercuts peoples desire to hack the system and b) its 19 dollars of money per user

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I mean they'll shut down the retail workaround for sure, but I think they're supportive of the dev system.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Walmart site crashed before PS5/Xbox even went live with the restock, LOL.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Grey posted:

Walmart site crashed before PS5/Xbox even went live with the restock, LOL.

Yep. And it's doing that weird thing where you refresh and get a different result each time: out of stock, in stock but the captcha doesn't work, error, out of stock

edit: "Oops, this item is on backorder", "An error occurred"

edit 2: "This Black Friday deal is temporarily out of stock." It's 9:05pm. This is silly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I managed to get one but accide tally hit affirm payment so now I have a $580 Xbox one

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yep. And it's doing that weird thing where you refresh and get a different result each time: out of stock, in stock but the captcha doesn't work, error, out of stock

edit: "Oops, this item is on backorder", "An error occurred"

edit 2: "This Black Friday deal is temporarily out of stock." It's 9:05pm. This is silly.

Maybe they shouldn't have restock PS5 and Xbox at the exact same time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Apparently using the Walmart app was the only "reasonable" way to have a shot at it for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Grey posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have restock PS5 and Xbox at the exact same time.

Lmao yeah that'd do it. I'd missed they were doing that because I don't pay attention to playstation stuff.