Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you clearly don’t have enough then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I need a nas but whenever I’ve briefly looked into it the nas devices seemed not cheap. lame

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I need a nas but whenever I’ve briefly looked into it the nas devices seemed not cheap. lame

I got a DS218+ and a pair of 8tb drives for ~450

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, i'm looking to finally get a synology box (the ds920+) and whoah not cheap at all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they consume so little power that the NAS will end up being free after 3 years, versus running some dumbass HoMe sErVeR.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the Russians just plugged in an external drive

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

they consume so little power that the NAS will end up being free after 3 years, versus running some dumbass HoMe sErVeR.

I've got my FIOS terminal, a unifi router + wifi access point, a raspi 3+ network controller, and the DS218+ on a single battery backup and it's good for hours when the power goes out. Pretty impressive.

Apr 7, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

the Russians just plugged in an external drive

I use symlinks to put poo poo out on the network drive but make sure it's in my OneDrive folder so it can sync to the cloud.

I used to use dropbox and the minute they disabled using symlinks this way I jumped ship, gently caress dropbox.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint, mac mini home server
just need a ton of usb drives or buy a thunderbolt enclosure for the cost of a synology

Apr 7, 2003

love to overcomplicate things

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m not reading that

Apr 7, 2003

Wow, rude.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like someone just jizzed and the post nut clarity took over

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

anyway I’m probably gonna buy a seagate exos hard drive and huff all the helium out of it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I built an overbuilt 4x8tb with 4 empty slots nas for $1300 all in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

freenas is cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
More like peenas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if someone feels like being really generous do they mind following this link and telling me if this mobo is worthwhile? tbh idk what I am looking for anymore :qq:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MBDGBM35522/Gigabyte-B550M-DS3H-MATX-For-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-CPU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wish it had more usb ports

i actually have a usb3 pci card which gives me like 6 more external ports but the ports were kinda poo poo and didn’t work as well as the native ones. and i suppose there won’t be room for that card in this one anyway. 🥲

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm probably going to put a 4tb SSD in my new build, in addition to a 2tb m2 drive. It looks like there's roughly a $250 premium on m2 drives to go from 2tb to 4, after doubling the price. same concern with modern games just being huge as poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

wish it had more usb ports

i actually have a usb3 pci card which gives me like 6 more external ports but the ports were kinda poo poo and didn’t work as well as the native ones. and i suppose there won’t be room for that card in this one anyway. 🥲

i have like fourteen ports in my ryzen box (fill out all the mobo headers with 2.0 backplates for your slow poo poo like kb/mouse) and eighteen in my old 4670 machine. that's enough.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

hmm i can’t be hosed with the obscene ordeal of starting fresh vs a decade old windows install that works perfectly. but it’s a good candidate for a non-boot drive

but I gotta keep my eye on the prize. getting a 5900x

i thought this and then about an hour after upgrading I thought 'gently caress this' and reinstalled windows and its muich better. it only took like 20 minutes too

I do have a nas with all my packrat poo poo tho so nothing of value (lol) was lost in the format

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

you can get bargs on trademe if you are prepared to put in the hours. I got my current rackmount for $250

NAS ain't cheap in general tho. you still gotta fill it with drives. I have 4x4TB ones and that's some bucks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

if someone feels like being really generous do they mind following this link and telling me if this mobo is worthwhile? tbh idk what I am looking for anymore :qq:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MBDGBM35522/Gigabyte-B550M-DS3H-MATX-For-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-CPU

yes that one is fine. I ened up buying this 450 one though as I am cheap and 450s are getting ryzen3 (5000 series CPU) support next year: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MBDASU22208/ASUS-PRIME-B450M-A-mATX-For-AMD-Ryzen-2nd3rd-GenSo

it is also fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yea 450s are fine. somebody yelled at me to get this 570 and i was like sure whatever. idk what i gained over the 550

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i have a b550 tomahawk and it's fine

wish i could change the boot logo cause it's some kind of dumb rusted metal unreal tournament looking thing (JONNY) but i'll deal with it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echi if i was ordering today I'd probably get that gigabyte or there is another one that has wifi/bt for $220ish on pbtech. There's no reason not to get a 550 if you have $40 more than me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

love to overcomplicate things

i'm the macro-enabled excel workbooks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

echi if i was ordering today I'd probably get that gigabyte or there is another one that has wifi/bt for $220ish on pbtech. There's no reason not to get a 550 if you have $40 more than me

hmm thanks. it’s the usb ports im mostly “concerned” about. as in going full atx
there’s not that much choice and the price goes up quick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ngl needing more than a dozen usb ports seems weird. like i have multiple ham radios and four webcams and some external sound cards and sdr dongles plugged into mine and i still got five free. are you trying to plug 19 lovely usb external drives in or something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my nas is an old i5 desktop with a bunch of hard drives shoved in it running unraid.

very needs suiting.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my nas is an old i5 desktop with a bunch of hard drives shoved in it running unraid.

very needs suiting.

terrible. also v yospos. in conclusion,

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"terrible and v yospos"? i can top that.

my nas is that one supermicro motherboard with a built-in LSI raid card in non-raid mode (so like an extra eight SATA ports on top of the four onboard) with a haswell xeon. it's running ESXi and the LSI sata ports are routed to a linux VM that hosts an mdadm raid-6 built from the six 8tb drives plugged in. the linux VM exposes an iSCSI interface over an internal network, which a windows VM then connects to in order to format the drive as NTFS and share out the volume via SMB.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
chassis is a lian-li PC-A76

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"terrible and v yospos"? i can top that.

my nas is that one supermicro motherboard with a built-in LSI raid card in non-raid mode (so like an extra eight SATA ports on top of the four onboard) with a haswell xeon. it's running ESXi and the LSI sata ports are routed to a linux VM that hosts an mdadm raid-6 built from the six 8tb drives plugged in. the linux VM exposes an iSCSI interface over an internal network, which a windows VM then connects to in order to format the drive as NTFS and share out the volume via SMB.

im surprised you don’t have some freebsd and zfs in there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a firm believer in putting your storage in the most tested, proven, boring, universal, safe configurations.

It's fine if you have a bunch of fuckin stupid esxi boxes and linux servers all over. Just iscsi your NAS, which should be a Synology or similar, for your bulk storage needs.

Not hating on nerd boxes at all. just ones with all your anime on them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not being able to expand double-parity ZFS volumes one drive at a time was/is a deal-breaker for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

. are you trying to plug 19 lovely usb external drives in or something

yes

lol after I have two keyboards (music and letters) , mouse dongle , mic , external hard drives, ps4 controller , kids charging their phone, my camera , they do get eaten up. but im just suck it up really i can unplug the music keyboard and ps4 sometimes i suppose

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
get a hub for slow poo poo, put a 4 or 8 t platter in for your D drive, back em up and throw em in the drawer. They are slow and suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

echinopsis posted:

lol after I have two keyboards (music and letters) ,

Music keyboard is just letters but fewer