Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dumb question, but I don't play much tabletop RPGs (my longest experience playing turned out as an uninteresting catpiss): What's this inspire mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HardDiskD posted:

Dumb question, but I don't play much tabletop RPGs (my longest experience playing turned out as an uninteresting catpiss): What's this inspire mechanic?

Spending an inspiration point gives you advantage on the next roll. Advantage means you roll d20 twice and take the highest roll. Similarly, disadvantage is rolling d20 twice and taking the lower roll.

DMs can award inspiration points for doing cool things, roleplaying well or being heroic. It's basically a way for the GM to reward good play.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

HardDiskD posted:

As Agrikk said, but also: you either have it or you don't. If you already have your one point of Inspiration and the DM gives you one, you can give it to someone else. It's a clean, crisp incentive to do cool, interesting, or funny things, and it adds basically no bookkeeping for the player or DM.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The Citadel of the Weeping Dragons

The blue dragon replies, “Hello Saruvic. You are looking well.”

I think the sound of our jaws dropping can be heard back in Thalos, but Snakeeyes is diffident. “I did not expect to see you here. Your timing is fortunate.”

“I heard that Brazzemal was on the wing after centuries of hibernating and could not pass up a chance to settle old scores.”

I was dying to know what those scores were, but some things you just don’t ask. Looking back and forth between the two I fail to see the resemblance.

Snakeeyes is still looking at his father. “Are you here long?”

Verrothrok shakes his massive head. “No. I cannot leave my protectorate unguarded for long, lest an interloper try to usurp my lair.”

The battle rages around us, the burning palace the backdrop for a father/son reunion.

“Can you help us momentarily? We are looking for Dragotha’s phylactery.”

“Dragotha the Undying?” he says the name with a rumble like a chasm has just opened up straight to the hells. “His phylactery is here?” The great wyrm looks animated for the first time.

“Indeed. It is either in this Citadel or in yonder burning palace.”

The great dragon suddenly transforms into a human male of the empire, perhaps late forties, fit and hale, with close cropped black hair flecked with grey at the temples. He continues speaking with his son in a voice deep and rich, while the rest of us stare in wonder and amazement.

“I will accompany you, then. Dragotha has been dormant since the theft of his phylactery so many years ago, preferring to work though proxies like Brazzemal and Necrozyte. These dragons sew discord and strife wherever they go which brings down the wrath of humans upon all of us. An opportunity to defeat the likes of Brazzemal and put a hurt to Dragotha in the same day cannot be passed up.”

The citadel is closed up tight with gates shut, but Verrothrax makes a gesture and a section of the stone wall turns into a soupy mud that sloughs across the entry area and over the sides of the promontory. I gasp and get a strange look of astonishment from Severance.

I say to Verrothrok, “That was no spell of essence, nor mentalism, nor channeling!”

He looks at me with golden eyes as the mud flows. “No, this is dragon magic, from the forces of creation itself.”

“So the arcane primordial force.”

“No. This source is from the energy of creation by the World Snake. Pure. Un-sullied. Unmasked. This is Dragon Magick. From the First Serpent itself.”

Ospar steps between us. “Respectfully, sir. Pepper. There will be time for arcane lore discussions later. The mission is that way.”

Verrothrok looks at Ospar’s blood encrusted armor and sniffs the air.

“Do you know whose skin you wear?”

“Indeed. The black serpent Ilthane who was the companion of a creature named The Exile who crossed us.”

“…crossed you.” Verrothrok looks long at Ospar. With his piercing golden eyes, vertical slits as black as pitch, I finally see the resemblance to Snakeeyes. Ospar stands tall and squares his shoulders and doesn’t break eye contact for a long moment. Something akin to understanding passes between the two of them and Verrothrok nods. "From what I knew of Ilthane it is no great loss, though wearing it is... barbaric." Ospar only smiles.

Together we plunge into the Citadel and immediately are attacked by the frost giant guardians of the Citadel. Despite our attempts to parlay and to reason with them, there are fanatical in their defense of the fortress, so we are forced to cut our way through wave after wave of giants as we ransack the building for a vault or secret chamber that could contain the phylactery.

The giants put up a spirited defense, but the six of us won’t be stopped. Severance is wielding the Sword of Aaqa and the Sunblade to send blazing sunlight down the halls while Laenaya and Ospar and Snakeeyes attack with their own blades. I am sending elemental bolts at targets of opportunity, but all of us pale in the face of our new companion. Verrothrok is a dervish: what giants he doesn’t destroy with a flurry of barehanded attacks he immolates with exotic spells with strange properties of vacuum, plasma, acid.

Finally, though it be hard won, we throw down the King of Kongen-Thulnir and his court as they defend the vault and it is ours. Unlocking and opening the door reveals a statue of a rampant dragon, wings spread, foreclaws extended, and mouth agape. Its chest is open, revealing its rib cage, wherein floats a ruby-red box, its faces carved with leering dragons.

I grab the phylactery and the touch of it sends screaming madness coursing through my head as Dragotha’s rage manifests itself in me. I immediately let go and, instead of handling it any further, we use telekinesis to life the box into my portable hole sealing it within. We quickly exit the Citadel, run back down the Red Road into the plaza and back into the collapsed building we occupied before. We rest briefly and heal, using some of our last healing charms and then summon up the strength to flee the city.

The approaching dawn seems to have slowed the attack and there are fewer dragons in the sky and less chaos on the ground. Only twice are we stopped by patrols of giants, but when we put up a stiff defense and shout that we are fleeing the city, they do not persist with their attacks further.

It is moments until dawn when we finish the climb up the road that snakes to the rim of Rift Canyon and we collapse from exhaustion near a particularly tall rock formation. Laenaya turns gaseous and descends into the ground against the coming dawn. Verrothrok and his son stand shoulder to shoulder, unspeaking, as they face the rising sun.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my 1st level Wizard from Toril could not have "studied abroad" in Eberron as part of his backstory.

Edit - According to my DM, if he was running Forgotten Realms, he might consider it.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 25, 2020

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Just imagining the transplanar exchange student from Athas encountering stuff like trees and the ocean and losing his poo poo completely on a daily basis

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Just imagining the transplanar exchange student from Athas encountering stuff like trees and the ocean and losing his poo poo completely on a daily basis

"I can't believe you squander such a precious resource by bathing in it."

"The wizard says the same thing."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bieeanshee posted:

"I can't believe you squander such a precious resource by bathing in it."

"The wizard says the same thing."

"...The WHAT?!?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The halfling doesn't understand why an invitation to dinner is so upsetting

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The halfling doesn't understand why an invitation to dinner is so upsetting

:perfect:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fantasy Mad Max As Painted By Brom eats dust and pisses ziggurats but every interaction with a chubby rosy-cheeked hobbit has him sweating bullets

e:
"why are you always so freaked out by Professor Applebarrel?"

"just look how well-fed he is!!"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 26, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

he'd think every elf student was a really ugly half-elf too.

also, presumably, that they were thieves and murderers from broken homes. and that they were all good runners.

not that he'd judge, but it'd be a continuous stream of inadvertent insults.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I...kind of want to play this as a one-shot now - University of Sigil.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember seeing a 'sigil prep' setting getting put together back in the 3e days and it had some decent jokes.

quote:

The Program: Necromancy students are never satisfied. Simply specializing in a school of magic? Mundane. Being a cleric of a god of death. Bah! (Necromancy students like to say "Bah!") Transferring to the True Necromancer program? Takes too long to qualify. So, in his wisdom, Professor Strahd von Zoravich initiated the Dread Necromancer program, where students can deal with the dead all day long. Students must pass a physical health exam to enter; and fail one to graduate.

apparently the guy has kept updating it and has a dedicated website?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 26, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From one fire to another

So where we last left our motley band of work in progress they had just managed to save a whole planet from corporate exploitation by Czerka, and managed to blow up one of their ships as well. Now laden with supplies from the cruiser before it disappeared into the depths of the ocean and their payment in pearls they're on their way towards the station only known as the Ring.

But that doesn't mean they're out of trouble yet as the ships rather poor state makes itself known. They've barely left the Coral when warning signals go off in the cockpit. Despite everything he's gone through, and still on the mend from the massive dose of radiation he received earlier, Tieron quickly surmises that the ship is dying. Several components onboard have been rendered near useless and others are going through emergency shutdown.
What's worse is that the ship has no more than a dozen jumps before the sublight engine dies on them. Replacing that is both outside of their knowledge, not to mention their wallets.

Knowing that time is of the essence they input the coordinates for the Ring and enter hyperspace.
That's when thing goes wrong. On a massive scale.

They've barely started their trip when everyone onboard can hear noises coming from the engine room. The kind of sounds you don't want to hear coming from an engine.

GM posted:

BANG KLAK KLAK PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
All of a sudden the door to the engine room explodes open, a gout of hyperheated gas flooding the back of the engine deck. It's then the ships generator gives out.

GM posted:

KLAK KLAK THRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM
Lights go out, bathing the insides in darkness before the emergency lights kick on.

Things are not good. While they're still hurtling through hyperspace the power is now gone as a massive inferno rages at the back of the ship.
In their favour the blaze does not seem to creep further up the ship, but it is being constantly fed by the fuel in the engine room.
Having had experience in working on spaceships before Tieron realizes that the cause of the fire can be fixed. But the problem is that someone has to go inside there and de-couple the fuel lines to starve the fire so he can do it.
What's worse is that they have to do something sooner than later, as the fire is steadily making the hyperspace reactor hotter. If it overheats and shuts down, then they would run the risk of dropping them out of hyperspace in the middle of a nebula, or worse.

The solution is M-4 T-31, or M4 as they've come to call the droid. After some quick bargaining (with Ross' anti-droid sentiments coming to the forefront once more) a deal is struck. As thanks for putting out the fire, something that would kill M4 as well due to its intensity and chemical nature, the droid gets to be put in the Enforcer droid they looted from Coral.

With the help of the detached droid body sacrificing itself the fuel lines are turned off and with the help of a fire is quickly extinguished. Or at least a path is cleared for Tieron to do his thing and repair the lines.
Inside the Cathar mechanic finds the issue, one of the worn out tubes connecting itself to the engine had given out and leaked large amounts of fuel that had then somehow ignited.

Despite the incredibly hot working conditions and only a rebreather preventing him from getting poisoned by the acrid air, Tieron somehow manages to repair the issue and initiate a full core cycle that vents the heat and bringing the generator back online again.

GM posted:

Stepping out of the room the Cathar is caked in a sheen of sweat, his bandages reddened and streaking blood as his entire body seem on the edge of overheating.

Worth mentioning that the player who plays Sirra was absent due to connection issues (as it turned out later) and no one else had Astrogation as a skill so the GM had us roll force dice.
Only to then flip a darkside point. :v:

With the catastrophe averted their journey can continue on undisturbed. Tieron gets his wounds rebandaged by Ross while Kyrea starts working on transferring M4's conscience into the dormant Enforcer droid.

Talking to the droid she suddenly realizes something is... strange with M4. That she's not dealing with a droid per se but something else.

quote:

M-4 T-31:"Oh no I never met them, I was a different man back then. It was long long ago you see."
Kyrae Sisk:"A different man?"
M-4 T-31:"I existed on a lower plane of existence once yes. It was a dreadful thing, full of things like pain, emotions."
M-4 T-31:"My ascension brought with -"
B4-A4:"- Certain benefits."

The M4 mentions that the Enforcer droid seems to have a rather interesting, if not sad, story. But also that he as no need for it, to which Kyrae interjects that he should save it. But not being a droid tech, the task of transferring the old droids conscience into M4's old head turns out to be too much for her so she calls for Tieron. Who has turned out to be more competent in slicing than her.
But things do not go exactly as planned. (I rolled a despair for the check.)

GM posted:

Tieron steps in, fiddling with the dataslate. Being a much better slicer than Ky he initiates the save. However doing so he forgets to set a target, force-saving the information into M4's neurocortex, overriding his own subroutes.

Suddenly the Enforcer droid shuts down and collapses back down again. When he comes back to again it's clear that something is very different.
Tieron's blunder during the transfer process somehow made the two droid personalities mix together as one and creating a whole new personality. What follows is a discussion between the crew as Ross clear dislike for droids rears up time and time again, advocating wrongness of it all and that the thing should be dismantled. While both Tieron and Kyrae being strongly against this and all for helping the new very confused reborn droid and repair him back to a more operational status. As he was only a walking torso at the moment after the damage sustained in the fighting on Coral.

The argument peters out before anything can happen and before the crew realize it they've reached The Ring and are dropping out of hyperspace.
The stations name is a bit of a misnomer as it's more of a station built into a massive asteroid, the ring itself being made out of some kind of spires that orbit around it. The oddest thing is that it's geometrically perfect as well. It's obvious that it's not something natural, but who actually built it is a bit of a mystery.
The base itself is built into the planetoid itself and access is through large sinkholes.

As the crew decides where they need to dock they quickly come to a rather grim realization. For while there are plenty of open pads, there is a pattern to them. Most sections appear to be owned by a gang of some sort and all appeared to be open for business. But in truth most of them were nothing more than hidden chop shops.
With the exception of one section.
The Hutts.

The landing is not what anyone would call graceful, the ship coming to a loud screeching halt on the landing pad and as the cherry on top the engine finally gives up the ghost as it shut it off. It has also attracted the attention of pretty much everyone in the hangar, including a trio of Dugs that come barging out of what is probably their office.

Mik posted:

HEY WHATTA DA BLAST IZZA DIS ! YAKA THSIYA.

The crew quickly gets introduced to Mik, Mak and Muk. Who quickly make it apparent that the bill for repairing the ship isn't going to be cheap. So they get directed over to their boss, someone called Ynedra, so they can introduce themselves and do a couple of jobs for her to cover the bills.

If Coral was the crew's first taste of another planet, then the Ring is their first taste of a crowded space station unlike anything else. The interior of the station is a chaos of corridors made out of ships turned into buildings connected to plazas connected by grav platforms and wire bridges. The place is far from sparsely populated, but with the crowds keeping mostly to themselves there is a weird sense of space and distance. Order being kept in the Hutt district by enforcers in bipedal assault walkers, other places seemingly not as fortunate as they can in the distance see blaster bolts and explosions racking one area.

Find the place they need to go isn't all too difficult. Ynedra's palace turning out to be a massive cruiser repurposed into an impressive spire and its halls turned into habitats and more.

Not even the wild interior of the Station could have prepared them for what they were to see as they stepped through the gates of the palace itself.

GM posted:

Inside the Palace everything becomes more cramped and more ... hot in every sense of the word. This place is a den of vice and pleasure, with bars, strip joints, prostitutes (of all race and gender) and arms seller lining the corridors up. The main hall seems to be forward and as you enter the circular coliseum, light and sound erupt all over you. Easily a hundred people might be on this floor, the space large enough to allow distance but remain somewhat contained. There's no indication of where to go to meet the boss, the Barabel guards and a few of the barmans being the only member of personnel you can obviously identify.

For a bunch of late teens never expecting to travel beyond their hometown, let alone their home planet the sights are bewildering and overwhelming.

quote:

Kyrae Sisk:"Man, nobody told me guys came in colours other than pink, red, and blue."
Ross'ti Lan:"And many ssizess."

Finding Ynedra's quarters turns out to be easier than expected, it's located in what used to be the ship's CiC. Getting their goes on uneventful as well, the crew handing over their weapons to the pair of trandoshans standing guard. Then they're let inside.
What they encounter exceeds their wildest expectations.

GM posted:

The smell hits you first, it's sweet, almost fruity and sparking ease into your muscles. The silk-covered walls come second, the fabric ever-shifting in the light of the lumen-globes. Your feet sink in the lush carpet, the ornate details and finery making you hesitate in your steps.
Past the corridor you enter what looks like a large antechamber, a massive ornate dais large enough to host a Hutt and his entourage sits in the back, the surrounding space filled with low-tables, hookas and lush cushions. Smoke fills the air as a dozen people sit in the room, the majority of them lounging amongst the couches surrounded by courtesans and exquisite concubines of a myriad of species and genders.
Sitting in the Hutt's dais, a red-skinned woman clad in the most risqué of outfit reigns above her court. Her arms and neck are adorned in jewelry and finery, her hands busy with the large end of a hookah billowing white smoke. The woman is surrounded by a dozen finely muscled alien men, each one almost entirely naked and chained from the neck down at the woman's feet.

The crew had fully expected to meet a Hutt, instead they find a female devaronian languishing like a Queen in her own court.
Ross has barely the time to speak before he is dismissed by Yzerra.

quote:

Captain Ynedra Kor dismisses Ross' words, looking at Kyrae.
Captain Ynedra Kor:"Rule #1: Males speak when we allow them to."
"You, Sith, what is your name."

Content with the Sith's reply at what business they have in her lair she takes them to a small side room where they can talk business undisturbed. During the conversation Kyrae admits to the Captain, impressed at what she has seen the woman accomplish, that she does not share her mother's ambitions about the Sith Empire and admits wanting to find something better for herself.
In the end it turns out Yzerra is in need of some people to help her deal with an unruly associate of hers.

Captain Ynedra Kor posted:

Yes, tell me have you ever heard of the dastardly rogue corsair known as Captain Vilka?

In the previous campaign, Vilka was a teenage Jedi Padawan that the party befriended alongside his master and helped at least once with a mission.

Next time: Pirate business??

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 27, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The phrase is "per se".

Can't wait to see how they deal with a jedi.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

The phrase is "per se".

Can't wait to see how they deal with a jedi.

Doh, keep mixing that up.

Or at least an ex-Jedi if he's being described as a corsair. This is going to be first major link to the previous campaign outside of the overall campaign goal.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I love the fire aboard the space ship in hyperspace. I'm imagining a bunch of rolls against various skills to cobble together a solution in a "I wake up naked in a room, what do I see and what can I use" kind of way.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
This week in Night's Double Cross game:

quote:

(The villain backstabs the squishy wizard for 94 damage, before defenses)

Night: Do you want to use your reactive coat?
Alex: Under the circumstances, I think I'll just die, actually.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
(don't worry, they got better)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's actually a good strategy if you have limited use defenses and were likely to go down despite using them! Since in DX you can always get back up (at low HP, and at a cost in Encroachment) as a free action if you aren't at/over 100% Encroachment yet.

That same fight featured their werewolf nun intentionally springing the trap that she has a 100+ power that lets her take a full turn before she goes down, when she goes down, and then two 120% powers that let her get back up once while at 120% or better, then another that transforms her into her ultimate battle form there. She very nearly went completely insane, but also got to pull off a genuine 'I, too, have a second form' combo on a boss in his second form. Which culminated in said villain getting punched in the face by gravity after distracting himself with his own edgelord speech, and then rooted to the ground by a 'do all the status effects' attack by their fairy knight, then his extreme Dodge shut down by another reaction, just in time for the stage-2 werewolf train to smash him to bits.

Double Cross's mechanics letting you organically pull a bunch of anime bullshit in combat, from team attacks to crazy trap reactions to 'I refuse to die' combos? That's the good part of Double Cross.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Not a specific complaint but a general one:

5e D&D DM: "Roll up a character."
Me: "Cool, can I buy my own equipment instead of taking the starting gear by class?"
DM: "No."
Me: *figuring the DM has things planned that will enable the party to gear up or buy equipment during gameplay, making for a richer acquistive experience* "Okay."

*Cue months of slogging through the wilderness with no loot or towns to rest in.*

Kumo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kumo posted:

Not a specific complaint but a general one:

Me: "Cool, can I buy my own equipment instead of taking the starting gear by class?"
DM: "No."
Me: *figuring the DM has things planned that will enable the party to gear up or buy equipment during gameplay, making for a richer acquistive experience* "Okay."

*Cue months of slogging through the wilderness with no loot or towns to rest in.*
See here's how that conversation reads to me, and how I would react:

Me: "Cool, I am going to get these things with my meager starting wealth, which will not matter past level 4 at most."
DM: "No, letting you make any decisions frightens me and I am an incompetent rear end in a top hat. You can only start with what is printed in the book, and even then only if it does not disrupt the novel I already wrote for this game."
Me: "Thank you for letting me know before I made my character and got interested in playing it. I will find something more fun to do than play in your game, such as slamming my dick in a car door."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Some games you can go a long while on your starting equipment, but not D&D - it's absolutely reliant on the equipment upgrade treadmill loop for both feeling a sense of accomplishment and actually being able to actually keep up the damage race.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

depends on edition and what type of game you're playing - having curated cheap mundane stuff can end up being super useful in niche cases depending on what you're working with

and of course wealth usefulness mostly depends on whether or not the player is trying to cheese it, someone won a 3e level 1 character tournament by rolling a wizard, selling his spellbook, and buying like thirty trained attack dogs with the proceeds

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
CharOp tournaments are an entirely different beast to a real game, and regardless of edition there's never anything you can get at lv1-3 that is going to be game-breakingly cheesy. More to the point, telling players they can't choose their own starting gear just screams "control freak" and those are never good DMs. Like, if you can't handle the idea that I might buy a bag of flour instead of 100ft of rope then how are you gonna act when I want to learn scorching ray over acid arrow, or whatever?

Reminds me of a time when I got to talking to a guy on roll20 who was looking for players (a yellow flag at the best of times) who had this huge homebrew world made; tons of maps, an assortment of factions for people to join and/or fight, volumes of lore on par with Forgotten Realms, just an insane amount of everything. Seemed like a decent fit since it was clear he wouldn't flake out with this much investment, right? So I say sure I'm game, I have a concept for a wizard I'd like to try out. I'm gonna drop the familiar class feature for this alt class feature which works way better with my concept, it's in [book, page#] but here's the short version.

He loses his absolute poo poo on me. Goes on this enormous tirade (I wish I still had it, it was just shy of 3 pages in Word) about how I am a dirty dirty powergaming munchkin who is trying to cheat to have the biggest numbers and also familiars are the most important class feature in the game "if you know how to roleplay, which you obviously don't" and just... I clearly struck a nerve cluster with a branding iron because I got up to get a beer and he was still typing when I got back. After the flood of :words: subsided he blocked me on skype, then kicked+blocked me on roll20. Another friend of mine thought this was as hilarious as I did so he applied to the game as the most generic human fighter possible, just so he could watch this guy have a blazing tantrum at everyone who came in asking to play anything but bog standard human/elf/dwarf/halfling fighter/wizard/cleric/rogue. After about a month of this he kills the game and posts a massive screed on the LFG forum about how no one on the site wants to "actually roleplay", that everyone wants to ignore his carefully crafted lore in favor of big numbers and individualism, etc.

Dude I just didn't want a pet that could set me back a level.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If looking for players is a yellow flag, what color flag is looking for a GM to run you a specific game?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"you all wake up in jail without any of your gear or magic items"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The funny thing is that by virtue of giving extra actions, familiars are the most charop choice.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Doc Hawkins posted:

"you all wake up in jail without any of your gear or magic items"

Yeah. That's a plot that can absolutely be done well, but requires a ton of trust and good faith to pull off. But it's also super easy to use to go on a control freak power trick

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Tunicate posted:

The funny thing is that by virtue of giving extra actions, familiars are the most charop choice.

If it's 3.5 like I'm guessing, then weaponizing a familiar is neither strong nor efficient, and a wizard who loses theirs will lose a huge chunk of exp and potentially be set back a level. On the other side of the coin, there were a lot of alternate class features of varying levels of usefulness that a wizard could take in place of a familiar. I think the best of the bunch was Abrupt Jaunt that let you take a 10' tele-hop out of danger as a reaction? Which depending on your interpretation could be extremely useful or borderline broken, if your DM let you blink to dodge an arrow in flight.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just remembered like eight games into a dungeon crawl that my goth halfling bard has a pet mouse on her character sheet from her urchin background. Now I need to pick a name. Here are some ideas, gladly taking votes and/or suggestions:

Mister Whisker, the Cheddar Risker

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

Lord Gragthar, Called The God Hammer (or "Hammy" for short)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lightrook posted:

If it's 3.5 like I'm guessing, then weaponizing a familiar is neither strong nor efficient

It's surprisingly strong because they can activate magic items and get their own turns to do it, since magic items and wealth by level assumptions created a hidden point buy system that accounts for a significant fraction of character power*. It does require bookkeeping just like any powerful wizard poo poo in dnd.

The immediate action teleport is indeed one of the best alternatives because it also effectively gives you more actions.

* if you are crafting, due to how exp allocation works you actually WANT to be a level behind because you end up getting boosted xp to catch you up to the rest of the party, and you then spend that boosted xp to be stronger than a normal party member and also buff the other players. 3e is broken in incredible ways.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 30, 2020

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tunicate posted:

It's surprisingly strong because they can activate magic items and get their own turns to do it, since magic items and wealth by level assumptions created a hidden point buy system that accounts for a significant fraction of character power*. It does require bookkeeping just like any powerful wizard poo poo in dnd.

The immediate action teleport is indeed one of the best alternatives because it also effectively gives you more actions.

* if you are crafting, due to how exp allocation works you actually WANT to be a level behind because you end up getting boosted xp to catch you up to the rest of the party, and you then spend that boosted xp to be stronger than a normal party member and also buff the other players. 3e is broken in incredible ways.

Yeah, base familiars suck, but improved familiar is one of the strongest feats in the game, really only behind things like Leadership.

Railing Kill posted:

I just remembered like eight games into a dungeon crawl that my goth halfling bard has a pet mouse on her character sheet from her urchin background. Now I need to pick a name. Here are some ideas, gladly taking votes and/or suggestions:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

I vote for Lord Gragthar

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Railing Kill posted:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

Aw man, when I was running Dragon Heist for my one group of friends, the one who was totally new to TTRPGs saw the pet mouse and loving dove on it. Based her whole character around that little mouse.
She played a kenku druid named Squeak, and she took better care of her mouse than she did herself.

Also, voting for Mister Whisker the Cheddar Risker.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Railing Kill posted:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

Penfold Dangermouse

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

Name it Pinky, but try to keep your secret BBEG speech until you ACTUALLY try to take over the world

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Railing Kill posted:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

I vote Lord Gragthar.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

If looking for players is a yellow flag, what color flag is looking for a GM to run you a specific game?
Not looking for players, looking for players on roll20's forums. Which is a yellow flag specifically because so many of the GMs using that part of the site are aggressively terrible; most of my cat piss GM stories are from me going "this time shall be different!" and roll20 yelling "It's not different at all, is it Yawg? Ahahahahaha!" and pinning me to the wall with corn cobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Railing Kill posted:

Elminster (no relation)

Lil' Garfunkel

Robert Smith

Robert Smith