Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Well, at least this way it’ll be a right wing, warhawk Pro Trump Democrat who loses to McConnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a9a6_story.html

Who is ready for the VA Special Session? I loving AM THATS WHAT! I have been on a ridiculous amount of Zoom calls with VA senator and delegates and I am so goddamn tired. But this is what we have accomplished:

quote:

Virginia House Democrats will try to make it easier for local governments to remove Confederate monuments — revisiting a battle they waged against Senate Democrats in the regular session, when the Senate insisted that localities must clear a string of procedural hurdles before taking them down.

House Democrats are also proposing a ban on police chokeholds and no-knock warrants. Another bill would prohibit sexual relations between officers and arrestees, something that is already banned in many states and is included in a wide-ranging overhaul measure that state Senate Democrats offered last week. One would expand the definition of hate crimes to include false 911 calls made on the basis of race.

quote:

They further seek to require officers to report and intervene in misconduct by a fellow officer, and seek to strengthen vetting before officers are hired and eliminate qualified immunity, a legal doctrine used by law enforcement to shield officers from civil suits.

Other measures announced Thursday would make it easier to expunge certain police and court records, increase good behavior credits for inmates, and strengthen prosecutors’ ability to dismiss charges.

When it comes to the budget, House Democrats say they will prioritize funding for higher education, telehealth and broadband access to support K-12 remote instruction. They also want to extend eviction protections and provide support for elections ahead of November’s presidential and congressional contests.

House Democrats also introduced a package of bills related to the pandemic. They would require businesses to grant sick leave to workers, prohibit stimulus relief checks from garnishment, ban evictions during a public health emergency, combat price gouging for personal protective equipment and require greater disclosure of outbreaks at nursing homes.

Edit: crossposting from USPOL

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

friendbot2000 posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a9a6_story.html

Who is ready for the VA Special Session? I loving AM THATS WHAT! I have been on a ridiculous amount of Zoom calls with VA senator and delegates and I am so goddamn tired. But this is what we have accomplished:

Edit: crossposting from USPOL

I'm so ready for Special Session. In a better world, the governor would call a special session every fall and we could have two sessions every year and not just one.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Did something kinda nervewracking last night... joined a virtual meeting of the local Young Dems group and now I'm considering putting myself forward on the ballot as a local Committee Council member. Local politics matter, and I want to try and drag this red county of mine at least a bit more towards blue!

On the last ballot more than half the seats were open or uncontested.

Does anyone here have any experience or advice for this kind of venture?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1304168383894650881

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Took me a while to find this thread.

GOP candidate for NC Lt. Governor, Mark Robinson, did an interview in 2019 with Sean Moon, a cult leader who believes will be king of the US when the government collapses. They talked about the Rothchilds and gay pastors ruining the Christian church. You know, shootin' the poo poo.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article246619363.html

News and Observer posted:

NC Lt. Gov. candidate appeared with religious leader who plans to become king of the US

The Republican candidate for lieutenant governor voiced agreement with a religious leader who says that the “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse” are the Rothschild family of “international bankers that rule every single ... central bank,” the CIA, China and Islam.

The conversation is part of an interview that Mark Robinson did in 2019 with Pastor Sean Moon, whose father Sun Myung Moon founded the Unification Church, which some have called a cult.

Sean Moon’s Pennsylvania-based church believes that the American government will collapse and that he will ultimately become king of the United States, according to a 2018 Washington Post profile.

Robinson is up against Democratic state Rep. Yvonne Holley to replace Dan Forest, the outgoing lieutenant governor who is challenging Gov. Roy Cooper. Robinson’s campaign has already faced criticism for Facebook posts in which he makes derogatory comments about transgender people, Muslims, a Jewish filmmaker, former President Barack Obama and fellow Black Americans who support Democrats.

But the Greensboro gun-rights activist voices other controversial views in the interview with Moon, which was posted to YouTube and features the pastor wearing camouflage and a crown made of rifle shells.

Moon explains his theory about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, including the comments about the Rothschild family, which is a longstanding anti-Semitic trope about the influence of wealthy Jewish bankers.

Robinson then responds “that’s exactly right. It’s amazing to me, that we live in this age of information where you can go online and you can find all this information, and it’s not hidden from anybody.”

Asked about the interview this week, Robinson’s campaign sought to distance the candidate from Moon’s “Four Horsemen” theory.

“At no point in the interview does Mark talk about the four horsemen, and after the statement is made by the interviewer, Mark goes on to talk about how our culture, and particularly the media, despises Christianity and the Bible,” campaign manager Conrad Pogorzelski said in an email.

He criticized The News & Observer for writing about the video. “This video has under 300 views, and was posted over a year ago. This is clearly the fake news media trying to destroy not only a conservative, but a Christian just two weeks before an election.”

The N.C. Republican Party, which had previously declined to comment on Robinson’s controversial Facebook posts, did not respond to a request for comment about its candidate’s Moon interview.

Also in the interview, Robinson criticizes a Fayetteville church that has gay pastors.

“It’s a homosexual church,” he tells Moon. “You know, those two things don’t go together! ... If somebody had told me when I was 15 that there would be churches that openly allow gay pastors and gay marriage, I would’ve told them they’re crazy.”

As the two continue their discussion of homosexuality in the church, Moon says that “the wage for sin is death,” and Robinson said he’s “absolutely right. ... If you are a homosexual you are more than welcome to come to this Church. We will pray with you that you can deal with that the same way the gambler deals with his gambling, the alcoholic deals with his alcoholism.”

The N.C. Democratic Party blasted Robinson’s comments from the Moon interview.

“Mark Robinson’s posts and comments are homophobic, anti-Semitic, and downright unhinged,” party spokesman Austin Cook said in an email. “He is clearly not fit to serve in elected office, and the same goes for his running mate Dan Forest who has refused to denounce his comments. The fact that the NCGOP doesn’t have the guts to denounce this kind of fringe behavior shows just how out of touch they’ve become.”

Robinson’s campaign does stand behind his comments to Moon about same-sex marriage.

“In the interview, Mark talks about the Biblical definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman and that for a pastor to contradict the Bible would be foolish,” Pogorzelski said.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
This just in: Northam supports marijuana legalization in VA.

quote:

RICHMOND — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said Monday that he supports the legalization of marijuana, following the release of a study that found Virginia could generate $300 million in taxes from the sale of the substance.

Northam (D) plans to work with the General Assembly on legislation during the regular session that convenes in January, although the process could take two years to play out.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Can't wait to legally get high AF here without having to cross the Potomac.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Presto posted:

This just in: Northam supports marijuana legalization in VA.

:toot:

My tangle of anxious cognitive fuckery rejoices at the possibility. It's also a good political play, anecdotally even my chuddy extended family thinks weed is good for their Crohn's and whatnot.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I still cant believe this idiot won
https://jewishinsider.com/2020/11/madison-cawthorn-arrives-washington/

quote:

“It’s actually incredible,” Cawthorn said of orientation. “I’m a lover of history, so it’s incredible to be in a place where we had the vote to decide to have the Emancipation Proclamation, where we decided to go to World War II, where the civil rights battles were fought. I mean, it’s just, I got to spend about 30 minutes all by myself on the House floor yesterday — and just to be frank with you, I was in awe.”

The Emancipation Proclamation, a precursor to the abolition of slavery, was signed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863 and was not voted on by Congress.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Why would it take two years to legalize in VA? The general assembly could pass it in the 2021 session and he could sign it quick. Don't take chances delaying while you actually have Dems control everything except for the State Supreme Court for one more year.

The only reason to delay it is if the VA Dems are planning to use it as a way to gotv in the 2021 gov and house of delegate elections or to make legalization a state constitutional amendment.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

nonrev posted:

Why would it take two years to legalize in VA? The general assembly could pass it in the 2021 session and he could sign it quick. Don't take chances delaying while you actually have Dems control everything except for the State Supreme Court for one more year.

The only reason to delay it is if the VA Dems are planning to use it as a way to gotv in the 2021 gov and house of delegate elections or to make legalization a state constitutional amendment.

Erecting a regulatory structure doesn't take no time, but I agree that two years seems excessive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That's almost certainly the case, but atleast they're smart enough to get that it gonna be super powerful at the ballot box, unlike Democrats at the national level

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

nonrev posted:

The two year timeline is all the way up to open retail market, either through government owned methods or pure private licenses. It'd be legalized far before that, that's just around when you'd see businesses opening it up to sell to everyone. This is all a result of a study they commissioned which went over all the different ways they could go about it while also doing stuff like expunging records, getting people previously convicted of possession involved with the new businesses, etc etc. A big focus was on making it focus on small businesses and helping out disadvantaged peoples.

Also the VA legislature is set up in an incredibly stupid manner so getting things done is a challenge in general. Odd year sessions are 30 days max unless a 2/3rd majority approves longer (and Dems are a long way off from that), or the governor calls a special session.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nonrev posted:

it took about 20 months in Washington, dating from the passage of state initiative. They did a study then issued licenses to start strictly-controlled farms, then finally to the official opening of the first stores.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

For those that didn't already know, Denver's mayor is a loving jackass

After warnings to avoid travel, Denver Mayor Hancock flies to visit family for Thanksgiving

His defense was that he thought it was "safer for me to travel to see [his wife and daughter] then to have two family members travel back to Denver", because apparently everybody just staying put and having a Zoom get-together for Thanksgiving, like so many of us are doing at his urging, was just out of the question!

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Lee Carter just announced he is running for governor in Virginia.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1345053262848946177

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

nonrev posted:

Lee Carter just announced he is running for governor in Virginia.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1345053262848946177

That insulin price cap bill he wrote also goes into effect today IIRC, so even though it's an uphill battle, this is probably the best possible timing for him to make an attempt?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mitsuo posted:

That insulin price cap bill he wrote also goes into effect today IIRC, so even though it's an uphill battle, this is probably the best possible timing for him to make an attempt?

He can definitely push the conversation left in the primary, but everyone please adjust their expectations accordingly, he's entering an already-crowded field that includes popular former Gov. Terry MacAuliffe. Uphill battle would be an understatement. Plus due to weird state campaign laws, as a state legislator he's forbidden from raising money while the General Assembly is in session, which begins in, like, a week.

Goons and Twitter may love him, but that isn't as big of the Virginia electorate as one might hope.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Ballz posted:

He can definitely push the conversation left in the primary, but everyone please adjust their expectations accordingly, he's entering an already-crowded field that includes popular former Gov. Terry MacAuliffe. Uphill battle would be an understatement. Plus due to weird state campaign laws, as a state legislator he's forbidden from raising money while the General Assembly is in session, which begins in, like, a week.

Goons and Twitter may love him, but that isn't as big of the Virginia electorate as one might hope.

Oh yeah by uphill I meant drat near vertical, but this is probably good timing to make the biggest splash he's capable of making to move the conversation left even though he won't win.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a nonsensical ego trip.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Getting every Virginia gubernatorial candidate on the record as to whether they support abolishing right to work in Virginia and giving government employees the right to strike is worth having Lee Carter run.

I am probably most curious to see whether unions in Virginia will actually endorse the most pro-union candidate running.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Looks like COVID is leading to another special election...

https://twitter.com/goadgatsby/status/1345199609925292033?s=21

Southwest Virginia, so no chance it’ll flip but GOP will be down a Senator as the new General Assembly session gets underway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Who is allowed to run for office and this not apply? This is a pretty strong position for so little information in the post

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Harold Fjord posted:

Who is allowed to run for office and this not apply? This is a pretty strong position for so little information in the post

Carter stands zero chance of accomplishing anything with his run, other than wasting the money of people who donate to him. Activists and actual campaign people in VA, (including some current and former goons) are basically throwing up their hands at him doing this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah i agree, terry mccauliffe needs to gently caress off already

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Utterly unsurprising dnd's number one lib fanboy cant stand a man running based on his beliefs instead of being an empty suit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah i agree, terry mccauliffe needs to gently caress off already

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Really there oughta be a law against this sort of thing.

Carter didn't even go to Harvard, who does he think he is

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 2, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Lee doesn't have a chance in hell, but I think it's great he's jumping in, wish him good luck, and hope he doesn't end up acting too online.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How are u posted:

Lee doesn't have a chance in hell, but I think it's great he's jumping in, wish him good luck, and hope he doesn't end up acting too online.

Based on his online-ness up to this point I'm gonna say there is a 0% chance of this happening

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mandatory lesbian posted:

Utterly unsurprising dnd's number one lib fanboy cant stand a man running based on his beliefs instead of being an empty suit

Choose a different way to post

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Choose a different way to post

no

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hello do not backseat mod

use yer report button, pm a mod/ik, or if you don't have either of those things visit our discord to contact us helpfully linked in the rules thread

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Discendo Vox posted:

Carter stands zero chance of accomplishing anything with his run, other than wasting the money of people who donate to him. Activists and actual campaign people in VA, (including some current and former goons) are basically throwing up their hands at him doing this.
Yeah that's what I've heard as well; the fact that especially in DSA spaces in VA/MetroDC it's not just one group of people upset but more broadly doesn't reflect well imo. I'll put my trust with those people over a politican anytime.

Granted my brain has been melting for the last month over this dumb inorganic Force the Vote stuff.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think Sanders 2016 showed that a principled outsider campaign can catch fire. It's worth a shot, I mean why not? Maybe he'll catch on, maybe he'll pull the field left. What's the problem?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tmac is massively massively well liked in va, and was one of the people that helped to build the va into the blue wall it's become in the last 5 years. He is a known entity that people remember for good times and progress with almost no scandals or issues during his term. Almost every issue at that time was squarely placed on the gop and used to catapult the dem party to a majority over the last 2 elections.

Lee has a problem of being to online, and causing himself more headaches and issues because he gets in stupid twitter fights. Lee has the ability to do well if he can get that aspect under control, but won't advance if he can't stop fighting with people. Danica roem is much more likely then lee to reach higher office, she's insanely well liked in a district that elected a guy that actively hated trans folk, and she's an entity that plays to the politics of areas that she has a passion on that vibes with her constituents (mainly we need to fix this loving road) without being something that people can use against her.

Lee's other problem is the field is already to crowded. With way to many people that would be fighting for the left vote, he doesn't have the ability to try and play the field like bernie and thread the needle as the more centrist and liberal Dems fight eachother. Tmac coming in basically drives out anyone that would be in that part of the field especially when the nova area is where he will perform massively in.

This is kinda akin to the dem field last year. With biden and tmac basically acting at the same level, the race thiers to lose and tmac is not gonna phone it in or take it for granted is the gist I get from friends that did work his campaign.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

When I think of the labor vote in Virginia I think of abolishing right to work and giving public employees the right to strike.

No candidate except Lee mentions these anywhere on their sites.

This is in a year where public sector workers will finally get a chance to collectively bargain in Virginia for the first time in 30 years.Thanks to the state senate collective bargaining only applies if the specific locality allows it Why is no other candidate running on moving to these next steps to benefit labor rights?

When I think of the environmental vote I think of ending fracking and stopping the Atlantic Coast pipeline and the Mountain Valley pipeline. Why is no other candidate running on stopping fracking and these pipelines?

When I think of police/prison reform I think of defunding the police, ending the death penalty, ending private prisons, and ending cash bail. Why is no other candidate running on these issues?

Lee running puts these issues in the forefront. There is a clear difference to what he is calling for and what other candidates are calling for. As I said earlier in the thread I am most interested to see whether unions in Virginia will actually support and endorse the most pro-union candidate running.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The big thing I get from comrades in VA is that Lee also has skeletons in his closet that are probably going to come out with him running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

achillesforever6 posted:

The big thing I get from comrades in VA is that Lee also has skeletons in his closet that are probably going to come out with him running.

Other than the ones that he announced publicly?