Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How does damage calc work, btw? It doesn't seem to be uniform over the [min, max] range but maybe it is, I haven't paid very close attention.

seems pretty uniform, but remember that enemies have block, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

seems pretty uniform, but remember that enemies have block, too.
That's gotta be what I'm forgetting. Despite it being the reason I die half the time (the other half is bullshit powers on enemies obviously)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I'd be fine with that if the game didn't AFK when I had another browser tab open or if the game's AFK earnings weren't a fraction of non-AFK. That's where I feel like the balance is bad enough to put me off: The already slow game is made even slower if I don't pay attention to it.

You can disable tab throttling in chrome

From Idleon's faq:

"If you're using Google Chrome, you can type in chrome://flags into the address bar and search for the #calculate-native-win-occlusion setting. Setting it to Disabled will make your game keep running when the window isn't visible."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lone Goat posted:

look just lol if you don't have 5 different chrome windows (not tabs, WINDOWS) open, one for each idle game you play
I was trying that but it still went AFK...

please knock Mom! posted:

You can disable tab throttling in chrome

From Idleon's faq:

"If you're using Google Chrome, you can type in chrome://flags into the address bar and search for the #calculate-native-win-occlusion setting. Setting it to Disabled will make your game keep running when the window isn't visible."
Ah hah! I'm curious to see if this kills my computer considering my tab usage is insane to the point that I use a tab suspender but yeah, I'll try this.
Edit: Didn't work. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 26, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh really? Hmm, strange. It works for me. But yeah, that kind of blows for you. I use multiple screens so I can just have it open in a small window, but you might be SOL.

The only other thing I can think of is using an always-on-top app for the idleon game, and then just shrinking it down to a small size. But honestly, it’s not a super must play game or something, I just like watching things progress.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh wait, pulling it out into its own window is what that fixes, not the tab thing. Gotcha. This might work after all... I... still have no idea if I'll stick with it past the night though. :P Thanks for the help either way!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Crossposting from the Android thread. I'm still enjoying NGU somehow nearly a year and a half later (at SAD), but as of a week ago I've started playing a new idle game on my phone: Melvor Idle

It's basically Runescape with the numbers filled off, but better? Idling is actually more fun than repetitive clicking. Active development and I'm enjoying it so far. It's free online and on App stores: https://melvoridle.com/. There's an ad-free version for phones and it just launched on Steam (launch sale -25% for 14 more hours). Each purchase is independent, but there are cloud saves that syncs across all platforms so I play on my phone and I just pulled the trigger on the Steam version to support the dev.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enemies with mind exchange can gently caress right off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

Enemies with mind exchange can gently caress right off.
Is it any good when the hero has it? I have no idea how to unlock it but it's so loving strong for enemies that it must be good for us right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is it any good when the hero has it? I have no idea how to unlock it but it's so loving strong for enemies that it must be good for us right?

Haven't seen it but I would assume that another 90% chance to not get hit is going to be huge.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do two of those work if you have two? I assume multiplicative but it's not impossible that it's "highest chance wins" (everything else is multiplicative, though, so I assume that's how it is).

I've definitely seen at least two, even if they're 10/20/30 percent rather than the completely insane 90%.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Mind Exchange sounds like some Captain Ginyu type of junk.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Mucking about with idle superpower, and it turns out the YOLO challenge and Rage Strength were made for one another :v:
(Rage strength boosts damage/regen as you lose health, so between big fights you outregen incoming damage and don't get the full benefit.)
(Yolo challenge slashes regen and gives max health a 10x boost, so put them together and get some big damage numbers going)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Idle Superpower is interesting but its a little bit frustrating it is so dependant on getting good supers and/or that so many of them are garbage, garbage on their own, or completely useless.

I have started savescumming before each reset and at least the first few powers...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineptitude posted:

Idle Superpower is interesting but its a little bit frustrating it is so dependant on getting good supers and/or that so many of them are garbage, garbage on their own, or completely useless.

I have started savescumming before each reset and at least the first few powers...
I just reset time over and over if I don't get what I want. Equally tedious! But still.

...anyone got tips for when's good to take on Yolo and Unpredictable, prestige-wise? I want the multipliers unlocked. I think I could do Yolo with Vampirism or Rage Strength banked + a good roll, no clue if Unpredictable is equally easy with Super Strength or something banked or if it takes a lot more in the tank.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just reset time over and over if I don't get what I want. Equally tedious! But still.

...anyone got tips for when's good to take on Yolo and Unpredictable, prestige-wise? I want the multipliers unlocked. I think I could do Yolo with Vampirism or Rage Strength banked + a good roll, no clue if Unpredictable is equally easy with Super Strength or something banked or if it takes a lot more in the tank.

Unpredictable is literally just a normal run with a strength build. Getting eagle eye back when you're done is harder than the run itself. I pretty much did all the challenges back to back to back except the zone 500 one, which I still don't qualify for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Same, even overnight I only got to level 483. Gonna miss you, Eagle Eye. Taking Vampirism now to try Yolo.

edit: actually I forgot to check the box for vampirism so I kept eagle eye and so I gave up instantly and then instantly got Super Speed which feels even stronger than the guaranteed attack first cause 10x Agility is insane so I'm letting it ride

edit2: has anyone bought the "Restock for [rarity]" gem upgrades, are they affected by the free restock timer? If not I'm gonna keep going for the first level of stat multipliers at the very least.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 26, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Force Field pluses: "at start of fight, hit enemy for 10% of min damage" doesn't require an attack animation and might bypass Mind Exchange? we'll find out when I get there

Force Field minuses: holy poo poo I'm going faster than my computer can handle and the browser tab is lagging rofl (and the graphics are literally a constantly changing mook in a state of rocking back and forth on their back, they don't even get a frame of being upright unless they have high HP and hit a block on the Force Field damage)

definitely the correct way to get speedrun achievements is to lock in Force Field when you have two powers on reset (but that's 1B time energy so that won't be for a while yet given that I've had, total, 5m time energy earned)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 26, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Force Field frustration: it totally clobbers you when an enemy gets it and you are doing the 0.01 max health challenge

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kaschei posted:

Force Field frustration: it totally clobbers you when an enemy gets it and you are doing the 0.01 max health challenge
...drat, yeah, that's gonna get ya.

(thanks for the tip on Rage Strength for that one btw thread, instantly shot up to like level 350 and got the vitality multiplier, now I just have the stupid min damage 0 one left to grind out right now and then I can go back to "real" gameplay once I find Eagle Eye again)

(finding Eagle Eye again is the #1 QoL use of gems, gently caress multipliers and restock buttons)

e: also the best joke in the game is that the achievement for having Evasion is called "Miss" and the one below it for Accuracy is, of course, "Mr"

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 26, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I did Yolo with an eagle eye build using Sonic Waves (more dex based on missing HP) and Force Field. Who gives a poo poo if you're at 5/800k HP when you hit every enemy for 12m damage as soon as it spawns?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How do the daily mini games in idleon really work as far as # of tries goes?

It seems it would be as simple as like, each character gets to play every game everyday, or each account gets to play each game everyday, but it doesn't seem to actually do that?

I might just be crazy but I swear sometimes I expect to have some minigames available and don't, or vice versa.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Unlocked Undying and then immediately got offered it, let's see how good it actually is.

trip report: yep it's real dumb it just stops all the downtime from happening (though it doesn't actually stop stuff like getting stunned or 90% to attack yourself or whatever, so it still doesn't make runs infinitely fast)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 27, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Agent355 posted:

How do the daily mini games in idleon really work as far as # of tries goes?

It seems it would be as simple as like, each character gets to play every game everyday, or each account gets to play each game everyday, but it doesn't seem to actually do that?

I might just be crazy but I swear sometimes I expect to have some minigames available and don't, or vice versa.

You get 3 minigame plays per character, across all minigames. So it you spend them all on chopping, you can't do them on fishing or catching.

If it ever seems like this isn't the case, it's because it is a little glitchy and sometimes you don't get your daily minigames for some reason.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 27, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ahh okay that makes more sense then. I thought the minigames might be counted seperately but I can see that now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Superheroes: oh god the level 600 challenge is, and I quote verbatim including typo, "The powers you can choose will be the ones you chosed the least"

oh god they're gonna give me a shitload of the fuckin ones like Balance that are literal trash, what the christ, do you just throw gems at that?!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like you could just do a bunch of throwaway runs where you choose the worst powers then reset at 21, then do the challenge with only the good powers in the pool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jabor posted:

Sounds like you could just do a bunch of throwaway runs where you choose the worst powers then reset at 21, then do the challenge with only the good powers in the pool.
That's likely going to be my strat. Heavily affected by how far back it remembers - if it's lifetime, that's gotta be a bunch of throwaway runs!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
That sounds actively unfun.

The strength multiplier challenge is interesting

Vitality x 0.01

Basically you get oneshot if you ever get hit, but since you have so little health it regens really quick meaning you are up again in a split second. This has the weird effect of making runs FASTER than without the challenge running at all. (Since if you had a lot of health it would take a lot of time to regen it)
HOWEVER! If you meet a single enemy with "Force Field" your run is over, since that kills you before you ever get to do anything, over and over again.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 27, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hm. In Idle Superpowers, unless I'm missing something, it seems it's better to fight the boss on the main timeline instead of the other path.
Why? Because of the extra power you get on that branch paired with enemy difficulty going back to normal after beating the supervillain, you have an easier time progressing afterwards.
(Mind, given how expensive keeping a second power on time travel is and how many resets you'll likely have to go through to get a build good enough to do this, it can take a while to get started.)

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 27, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've tried Evolve for a bit, since it's been mentioned in the thread.
But it's pretty tedious for an incremental, because nearly everything you can idle up has tiny caps, and a lot of the time you have to keep proactively increasing the caps just to afford things.

Are the research + building queues the only 'kinda-automation'-y features the game has in vanilla?
I tried loading up the scripting edition + one of the scripts that have been mentioned, but it was just an impenetrable mass of toggles and menus, and probably spoils every surprise the game has in store.

I'd really like it a lot more if it had some basic automation stuff, research, building, and raiding being the big ones at my current place in it. (Just hit the internet age today.)
It's especially odd since there are a handful of craftable resources that are just... infinitely storable, while everything else has these tiny caps you have to micromanage.
(Crates + containers to micro caps feels particularly pointless and unfun.)

I'll probably give it until I hit a reset, and see what kind of mechanics the prestige system brings with it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Storage is definitely a big hurdle early on in Evolve at least until you start spending the first prestige currency. The speed of the runs also increases drastically after the first as you gain access to multipliers which makes sitting in the first phase less time consuming than you would expect.

As for the automation yeah that's pretty much it. And even those were a later addition to the game so you really do need to run the script if you don't feel like having to deal with constantly having to keep an eye on the game throughout the day. There is definitely some spoilery stuff in the settings menus if you go looking and running it through the first run or two isn't particularly advised anyways.

The new(er) attacking system, while an upgrade from the old, is unfortunately not as easily automated without complex scripts and is also the best way to progress for a pretty significant time so unless you're constantly checking it you'll be much slower than the old systems.

The base game really is a bit weird in its expectations of constant management instead of embracing the more idle parts of what is a very long game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, it's good to hear that it speeds up notably atleast, I've apparently already gotten a stray plasmid, which I guess you can get passively from the biotech labs rolling through and doing research.

But yeah, often I wonder how much of the strange expectations in incremental games comes from them being built upwards like a tower, with devs stacking on features (and thus content.) on top, piling it higher and higher.
And then never really rebalancing the early game around the fact that the game is suddenly like a dozen+ times as long once it's matured a bit.

(And that said devs often do a Starbound, and don't actually playtest the game as it is for a player. But rather dropping in, console-ing them to the point where they have the thing they want to test, then peace out again. Ie testing content and features in a vacuum.)

Though I very much appreciate the flavour of playing as Ents, building poo poo out of their pussed out scabs/amber.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While we're talking Evolve, should I be doing the bioseed or world collider stuff first? Or does it not make a difference?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

has evolve had much in the way of big changes, last time i looked was stuff about black hole endgame and the LHC or w/e

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yes, 2 additional prestiges past the black hole, a lot of content.

I've always said evolve is best played sped up a lot. Still provided me a few months of entertainment even sped up 20x

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Garfu posted:

Yes, 2 additional prestiges past the black hole, a lot of content.

I've always said evolve is best played sped up a lot. Still provided me a few months of entertainment even sped up 20x
what's the console command to speed up tickspeed?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I quit evolve after it didn't seem to change a whole lot after I had gone through it a number of times. I never went past a MAD prestige though maybe I could have, but I was eventually bored by the fact I didn't seem to be reaching MAD any faster despite having all these plasmid bonuses.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 28, 2020

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

While we're talking Evolve, should I be doing the bioseed or world collider stuff first? Or does it not make a difference?

Bioseed. The world collider unlocks things that will be needed when you're pushing past bioseed stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

JTDistortion posted:

Bioseed. The world collider unlocks things that will be needed when you're pushing past bioseed stuff.

Awesome, thanks!