Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As a Dynasty Warriors fan I only know the block button as the "reset camera" button, and am annoyed it's on ZL instead of L like in DW8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I haven't been blocking much in AoC. Dodging is so much more fun and stylish.

Haven't made it very far yet, just have Mipha and Daruk unlocked, but I'm really enjoying everything so far. Might be smart to start looking up korok seed locations before I get too far, but I guess replaying levels with overpowered gear later on should make things easier, so whatever.

You can block in AOC? Why?

I mean I never learned to and I agree dodging is fun. Then again Impa just vanishes half the time I’m playing so maybe those are all invulnerability frames?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ultimate Mango posted:

You can block in AOC? Why?

I mean I never learned to and I agree dodging is fun. Then again Impa just vanishes half the time I’m playing so maybe those are all invulnerability frames?

You block because characters equipped with shields can parry while doing so and you can reflect Guardian lasers back into them just like in BotW.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have yet to encounter an enemy attack that Daruk can't block.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm absolutely loving the game but motion controls for Divine Beasts while plating handheld with the Switch are by far the worst character/camera control since Mario 64. Please tell me they're better with the console docked and using the pro controller.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GWBBQ posted:

I'm absolutely loving the game but motion controls for Divine Beasts while plating handheld with the Switch are by far the worst character/camera control since Mario 64. Please tell me they're better with the console docked and using the pro controller.

"Turning the motion controls off" is a better approach ime. The beasts turn so pendulously and with such limited angles that any benefit from even a good motion control implementation would be lost, and this does not feel like a good motion control implementation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The game asked me if I wanted to turn off motion controls after the absolute shitshow that was the Talus fight in the second level. Great QoL feature there.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm in the middle of a battle but are there separate options for characters and divine beasts? It would be awesome if there were.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I like that it rumbles when it’s done loading, so you can look at something else

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

b_d posted:

I like that it rumbles when it’s done loading, so you can look at something else
Agreed, although it kills battery life.

edit: this is really weird because I've never had this happen with any other game, but has anyone else playing on the Switch experienced motion sickness while targeting a strong enemy? I guess I need to go back to playing on a TV

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

b_d posted:

This is like the "your table is ready" feature, haha.
Definitely wish more games that had long load screens featured it (although it'll be less of an issue with next-gen loading times).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wasn't really feeling Zelda's moveset but after a few combo upgrades it gets pretty crazy. I'm just slamming minecarts into people all day.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

YggiDee posted:

I wasn't really feeling Zelda's moveset but after a few combo upgrades it gets pretty crazy. I'm just slamming minecarts into people all day.
Like I said before, this is the first Warriors game I've played and it definitely takes some time to get used to things. I'm pretty sure I have a Zelda "how to get away from a hit and run" quest ahead of me because I haven't seen anything involving a minecart yet.

Also, question for people who have played a lot more than me, I'm in the first few quests past the demo and have the champions plus a goofy rear end tree with me, anything I do involving fusing weapons at this point is going to be meaningless after another few hours of gameplay, isn't it?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Kinda. General rule of thumb for Warriors games, don't worry too much about getting good weapon skills until you get to the postgame.

Leveling up weapons to get them stronger is still worthwhile though, since a high level weapon gives way more experience when used as fusion material, so the investment isn't wasted when you find a stronger one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GWBBQ posted:

Also, question for people who have played a lot more than me, I'm in the first few quests past the demo and have the champions plus a goofy rear end tree with me, anything I do involving fusing weapons at this point is going to be meaningless after another few hours of gameplay, isn't it?

Surprisingly, not necessarily. This isn't HW1 where you end up getting ridiculous 7-star weapons that completely override any previous weapon you picked up; you'll get weapons that start at a higher damage level and some "+" and "++" seals, but later in the game you'll be able to remove some/all seals from weapons and remove the level 20 cap, and I'm actually not sure if there is a cap once you've done the latter or if you can just keep upgrading a given weapon in perpetuity.

I've put the game down for a bit after wrapping up the main plot, but I'm absolutely planning on stripping Link down and giving him a god tier boat oar for as long as the postgame allows me to get away with it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm on chapter 7 and my weapon upgrading still consists entirely of feeding stuff to the highest base strength weapon I have for that character
Once I finish the story I think/assume that will change especially after I unlock the improved derusting upgrade and the other upgrade that improves the weapon quality of weapons you find

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Weapon level cap is 30, and if you have Skills with the same shape on them, the power gets a small boost.

Specifically after the midgame upgrade, you can raise the cap to 25, and then postgame you get an upgrade that can raise it to 30. Both times give a set bonus skill, which is the same for every weapon with the same name. I've only upped Mipha's Champion weapon and Riju's level 3 weapon to 25, and I haven't gotten the latter to 25 yet, but that's how it goes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm still in mid Chapter 6, and I currently have 15 playable characters. I posted my thoughts on the first ten or so characters in one of the threads (might have been the megathread), but here are some updated thoughts and thoughts on the later characters:

Monk Dude - Now that I understand his ZR better, I like him even more. His ZR interacts with the balls summoned by C2, C3, and C6, and the bounce it causes with those can often hit enemies in their weak points (generally their heads) and force the weak point gauge back out.

Great Fairies - Not much new to say here except that I tested their C5 on giant bosses and it totally works.

Sidon - He feels very strong. His ZR gimmick isn't world shattering but simple timing presses making good moves great is still nice. He has the worst cancelable Stasis in the game but it doesn't hurt him as much as I would have thought. His bombs are fun.

Yunobo - His ZR gimmick is neat in that it lets him force out weak point gauges whenever he wants. I haven't found a great pattern for actually breaking gauges with him yet, though. Still strong though.

Teba - I think it's his C3 where he flies forward while shooting a spread of arrows with his feet. This is a weak point gauge shredder if you can keep him stuck on the enemy. His ZR charge makes me have to switch my grip slightly so I can hold ZR with my middle finger while being able to hit R with my index finger still.

Riju - She's fun but she feels like the worst of the four young ones. She has strong crowd control but the awkward movement goes from being fun and charming to kind of annoying pretty fast.

Kohga - Admittedly I have not tested him much, and I haven't tested him since getting another Bonus Combo map point. His stress laser is ridiculously strong, so his gameplan probably revolves around getting that going as often as possible.

Zelda Bow - I thought having instant access to her strong enders would feel better but it kinda doesn't. Well, being able to do ZL+Y for the laser during luminescent is pretty nice I guess. She can't cancel her stasis apparently so that sucks, but she does good damage with great range so that's cool.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 26, 2020

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The weapon power curve in this is way flatter than in any other warriors game I've played. Some people on reddit have tried creating maxed weapons and it's like...165 attack with 14% damage increases if your seal shapes match. If you can stack the same seal that might make things more interesting, but otherwise minmaxing doesn't seem that worth it

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Okay I have 9 material side quests left before full map completion.

Some of those last side battles are ridiculous. The last one I did with a Lv 100 character on easy and I still only beat it with less than 5 seconds on the clock.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Any advice on the "one hit you are dead!" side missions? I can't even do the first one!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BattyKiara posted:

Any advice on the "one hit you are dead!" side missions? I can't even do the first one!

Use your rods to just keep weak point gauges up the whole time

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

play as the bird and fly into the sky

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Throw bombs for mooks if you’re really scared, abuse all your rods and stasis for bosses.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BattyKiara posted:

Play as Impa, get a full clone array, spam zr from a distance?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Use the Master Sword and sword beam everything into submission.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Use Riju and mash X to Spin to Win.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alacron posted:

Use the Master Sword and sword beam everything into submission.
I'm in Chapter 4 and almost exclusively addicted to the full-health master sword beam attack. Good for just mowing down huge amounts of troops and hitting crates from far away. Might be boring, but I'm maining sword/shield Link so far.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I really can't settle on someone yet but every time I pull Mipha out I'm astounded at how quickly I shred through enemies. I need to play with combos in training with some of the characters I think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BattyKiara posted:

Zelda is completely invulnerable while using her bomb power so just trigger that when you're about to get hit

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some more in-depth thoughts about a couple of the characters from late Chapter 6 into early Chapter 7:

Character 1:

Kohga - If you don't have the stress gauge charged, ZR itself will build small amounts of the gauge. Strong attack eats a banana which will allow you to build the stress bar to max without having to expend it immediately to avoid a Kohga Tantrum. You can mash X to eat up to 5 bananas in quick succession, which seems like it extends the duration of the tantrum delay buff state.

C2-3 (YXXX) goes airborne, and the airborne YYY chain ends in a belly flop that builds significant stress. Airborne X throws down rocks which don't build any stress. C2-3 into the air chain into bellyflop builds about 60% stress.

C3-1 builds about 30% stress, C3-2 (when he puts the banana out front to make the blademasters run faster) builds about 40% stress, but C3-3 ends in Kohga eating a banana, causing the chain to build no stress at all but end in the tantrum delaying banana buff. These are slow ways to build stress, so this is probably most useful as a way to mow down enemies and end in the banana buff.

C4-1 makes Kohga punch himself with a clone, which does next to nothing to the enemy but builds about 30% stress. C4-2 makes Kohga and the clone fight each other like cartoon characters and builds up about 70% stress total between the first punch and the fight. C4-3 causes the clone to rip-cord Kohga into a whirlwind spin. This entire string seems to take the stress gauge from 0 to just enough to fire off the ZR laser, but C4-3 is also pretty slow to come out, so it might end up being more useful to just end at C4-2.

C5-1 has Kohga rolling on a rock/ball/bomb thing until he falls off and gets run over by it. You can mash X to keep rolling, and the ball will increase in size twice as you do this, ending in a large spiky ball. Ending the combo at the original ball size builds 50% stress, ending at the middle size is about 75% stress, and going all the way to the huge spiky ball builds the full gauge. It takes a long time to get there, though, so this feels mostly like something you'd use to kill mooks while traveling from Point A to Point B on a map.

His Stasis is awful, probably the worst in the game, which hurts his weak point gauge breaking ability. However, his ZR laser is so good at this that the goal instead just becomes to build the laser up as quickly and safely as possible and use it to murder things with extreme prejudice.

Character 2:

King Rhoam - This guy decided he wanted to be like a different Zelda and can swap between King Form and Disguised Form with ZR. Disguised seems to have slightly faster attacks with the axe than King does with the sword.

His main gimmick, though, is that he can use ZR after any Strong Attack combo finisher to swap forms and do the next combo finisher in line in the alternate form. For example, if you do King C4-ZR (YYYX-ZR), Rhoam does the sword combo into the C4 finisher, then swaps to Disguised and does that form's C5 finisher. This works even if you have not unlocked that finisher in the chain, so C5-ZR still lets you do the other form's C6 finisher even if you don't have the C6 finisher unlocked.

This all seems to be balanced by none of his strong attacks seeming to do impressive amounts of weak point gauge damage, but I haven't fully tested all the possibilities just yet.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 26, 2020

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
BOTW was amazing in that there were tons of hidden stats to items. I think there was even a friction stat to shields so that some were much better for surfing than others. What I don't know is if they went that in depth at all with AoC

I can't figure out how to tell if one weapon is going to be better leveled up than the others. I don't know if the travelers or soldiers sword are supposed to be better or if they are all just reskins. I also haven't gotten to see if the falcon blade or whatever one you get from the bird people is actually faster or has different animations or handles differently. Besides the slot they occupy like 1h or 2h do they actually perform differently outside of visible stat values? Does the tree branch actually do anything different in combat?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Philosopher King posted:

BOTW was amazing in that there were tons of hidden stats to items. I think there was even a friction stat to shields so that some were much better for surfing than others. What I don't know is if they went that in depth at all with AoC

I can't figure out how to tell if one weapon is going to be better leveled up than the others. I don't know if the travelers or soldiers sword are supposed to be better or if they are all just reskins. I also haven't gotten to see if the falcon blade or whatever one you get from the bird people is actually faster or has different animations or handles differently. Besides the slot they occupy like 1h or 2h do they actually perform differently outside of visible stat values? Does the tree branch actually do anything different in combat?

Some have specific properties. Like the Boomerangs will be thrown for much longer range during Link's one handed spin attacks compared to other weapons. I haven't noticed anything super obvious besides that

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The weapon power curve in this is way flatter than in any other warriors game I've played. Some people on reddit have tried creating maxed weapons and it's like...165 attack with 14% damage increases if your seal shapes match. If you can stack the same seal that might make things more interesting, but otherwise minmaxing doesn't seem that worth it

That seems a lot better than any DW game I've played, where people's max level weapons are usually like 54 attack or so. Then again, you also get attack stats from leveling up (or getting items on the field, depending on which game) which is where you really get the most damage from, whereas this game it seems like you probably get some attack boosts as you level but the majority of your attack is coming from weapons.

I got a Royal Guard Claymore from Hyrule Castle today, which is now Link's main two hander for me. I also managed to get a rusty weapon for Impa with the amazing property of...Fusion EXP 150%. Kind of a dud, but at least that'll be nice if I ever get another rusty weapon for her. It's still much more attack than what she had before.

So far my favorite characters to play as are Mipha and Hestu, with the Great Fairies being my absolute least favorite. Monk dude seems cool but I need to get his bonus combo missions finished before I start messing with him. Also I'm pretty disappointed Soogah isn't one of the playable characters. Maybe DLC? I'm also only in chapter 5 so maybe there's a story reason for not being playable, but I'll still hope for being a DLC character.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'll be salty af if we never get Linkle as dlc

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think I know who we all want for DLC:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got the final character after the secret ending and lmao it's so goofy I love it.

Big ol character spoilers (and impressions)
Calamity's moveset is just so absurd and he does damage just walking into dudes. You absolutely feel like total carnage when playing as him- and it's really really funny finding koroks, they do their little yahaha laugh and it zooms out to a hell man. Or the characters in general going 'wow your so great we love you, we can save everyone with your power :)'. The fact your other characters call out to him when switching is also silly.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Anyone else feel like sooga was a playable character that got cut for time/DLC? He's pretty heavily developed and then towards the end of the story just vanishes.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Skeep posted:

Anyone else feel like sooga was a playable character that got cut for time/DLC? He's pretty heavily developed and then towards the end of the story just vanishes.

Cia, Wizzro and Volga weren't playable until a few months after launch in HW1, so most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm in the postgame now and super low on rupees. Does anyone know of a great map to farm them on?