Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
we talkin' MAD variation in the rec guides or in general because I remember there were LPL and ERLL variants before, plus whatever that one was that dropped the autocannon for LRMs.

compared to the WHM where I think the biggest break was to drop the missiles entirely.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In the Rec guide.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So has anyone read 'Icons of War' or 'Children of Kerensky' yet? Pretty good reads.

Icons of War Spoilers:
Clan Wolf sends a commando team to kidnap the body of General Kerensky aboard the McKenna's Pride. A lot of the book is spent on the Commandos enveloping themselves into Clan civilian society. Apparently there's groups called Free Guilds that can travel around Clan Space taking work from Clans that are short-staffed. Good look at the Dark Caste/Civilian side of things. The book also includes a Clan Detective Sherlock Holmes-like guy, so that's fun.
Also IlKhan Baracek of Clan Star Adder is pretty Machiavellian; after the body of Kerensky gets stolen he simply takes the body of a dead Wolf warrior of Kerensky stock, has doctors surgically alter him to look like Kerensky, and claims DNA problems is from space radiation damage.
I haven't finished the book yet but it was fun read in Clan society with minimal Battlemech fighting.

Children of Kerensky Spoilers:
Alaric and Malvina are both racing to capture Terra. Alaric has been building a 'super-Clan-friends Coalition by declaring Trials of Possession for useful people from other Clans, while Malvina simply murders people.
Apparently the Wolves-in-Exile are set to rejoin Clan Wolf, also Alaric lays out his plan for the IlClan: Resurrect all the dead Clans in the Inner Sphere (Nova Cat (wheee!) and Smoke Jaguar), then take all the Clans and after conquering Terra, conquer every Inner Sphere House to re-establish the Star League.
At the end of the novel, a Ghost Knight leaks how to break thru the Fortress Wall to Clan Wolf, and Alaric shares it with Malvina. Both are gonna hit Earth within a month or two of each other.
Decent read but it suffers from a lot of recent BT fiction which means it is very dialog-exposition heavy, trying to cover lots of material that fans may not have read up on back in the old fiction books. Oh well.

EDIT: VVV Oh Defiance, how did I know you'd say something like that.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 10, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thank you for your service, now nobody else has to give money to a Confederate apologist.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So Kickstarter questions. I'm sure they've been asked before.

Is the only way to get the Kickstarter models right now to back the Kickstarter again? Or is there a secondary market or store that sells individuals or packs of mechs. I'd like a Nova Cat and Kit Fox, but don't want to have to drop 100+ to get the kits with a bunch of stuff I already have.

Also if that isn't avaiable right now is the plan to make it available eventually?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So Kickstarter questions. I'm sure they've been asked before.

Is the only way to get the Kickstarter models right now to back the Kickstarter again? Or is there a secondary market or store that sells individuals or packs of mechs. I'd like a Nova Cat and Kit Fox, but don't want to have to drop 100+ to get the kits with a bunch of stuff I already have.

Also if that isn't avaiable right now is the plan to make it available eventually?

All of the packs except for the legendary mechwarrior box will be available at retail at some point over the next year or so

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Legendary Box is only 4 mechs, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Correct, and aside from Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker they're not hugely different than the normal versions: Aidan's Timber Wolf gets its gun pods and jump jet ports on the back, Grayson Carlyle's Marauder has a slightly bigger autocannon, Morgan Kell's Archer is just a normal Archer with a worse pose.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The pose is such that I was kinda surprised at how much taller it made the standard Archer seem.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Both Nova Cat and Kit Fox are in wave 2 and not out yet even in the Kickstarter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The pose is such that I was kinda surprised at how much taller it made the standard Archer seem.

I got a Kell Archer in my blind box which makes the one normal Archer I have the unique one. It really is the lamest of the Hero 'Mechs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They shoulda done someone who drove anything but a heavy, since that's what all the others are. Dan Allard in the Wolfhound?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Assuming no changes to the actual 'Mech roster, I'd have preferred the Bounty Hunter's Marauder over Carlyle's. They could've given it more Clan-like weapon pods to play up the fact that it used to be Natasha's and I'd have picked Jamie Wolf's Archer over Morgan Kell's. Move the cockpit from the tip of the beak up to the top to make it look like a transitional precursor to the Mad Dog.

I don't like the new Archer much, it's just kinda fat.

Assuming we're limited to the eight Wave 1 'Mechs (because that was the real limitation) the only good option for a non-heavy would've been Shin Yodama's Phoenix Hawk, which would've been appropriate for the Clan Invasion kickstarter but Shin is probably not anyone's favorite character and picking him over Morgan Kell or Jaime Wolf would've generated a lot of complaints.

Obligatory joke option:

Nicolai Malthus's Summoner, Adam Steiner's Awesome, a Wolfhound with a can of pepsi shooting out of it, and the top half of Pytor's Hunchback IIC poking out of a pile of rubble.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 11, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd have preferred Natasha's Warhammer and VSD's Dire Wolf over what we got. Or maybe Legend Killer as a Rifleman. The pool is not particularly deep with those limitations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Giving players a Daishi with a Gauss slug-proof head is a bad idea if you ask me

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
When I finally get my legendary stuff, I'll happily trade whatever one I get for Carlyle's Marauder if someone else wants, because that's the only one I want. I'm still pretty pissed that the Gray Death didn't get coins/dice/patches/etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you like battlemechs? Boy, I sure do. Trad Games Secret Santa is up, and you have about a week left to sign up! You could get some mechs or perhaps a pack of hex maps or a dusty old Technical Readouts book from the late 1980s? Go on, it'll be fun.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a guy on Etsy selling 3d printed Battlemechs for like $3 a pop... and was selling 3 different variants of the Bushwacker, my personal favorite. That and the IWM Bushwacker means I can finally run an all-Bushwacker lance! Hallelujah.

Edit: also I was wrong the best faction is Word of Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NCkZQX5Bs

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 17, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just finished Icons of War, too. It was pretty generic and poorly-written, but it effectively portrayed an interesting piece of Clan history nonetheless. Lots of Wolves doing Wolf stuff. Also really makes me think that Wolves will be the ilClan in the end!

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

I found a guy on Etsy selling 3d printed Battlemechs for like $3 a pop... and was selling 3 different variants of the Bushwacker, my personal favorite. That and the IWM Bushwacker means I can finally run an all-Bushwacker lance! Hallelujah.

Edit: also I was wrong the best faction is Word of Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3NCkZQX5Bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVrAdhCfc4&t=7714s

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I ordered some lances off Etsy finally, and now I need to pick up painting gear since I haven't painted minis since high school.

Is there any special advice for mech/battletech painting? I'm sort of assuming it's easier than a lot of the assumptions/advice in the minis thread, given I'm not trying to win any competition and I'm not trying to paint anything lifelike.

Also, I think I'm going to use this as my color scheme: https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2018/12/12/tikonov-lancers-1st-8th/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Vallejo Mecha is the best, especially for beginners. Electric Blue is magic. But Citadel Paints are also pretty much idiot proof, so don't be afraid to fall back on those.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I think Vallejo Mecha is the best, especially for beginners. Electric Blue is magic. But Citadel Paints are also pretty much idiot proof, so don't be afraid to fall back on those.

I google Vallejo Mecha and it takes me to something about airbrush paints.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I google Vallejo Mecha and it takes me to something about airbrush paints.

I handpaint with Vallejo Mecha, sometimes you gotta water it down a bit but it works just fine.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I handpaint with Vallejo Mecha, sometimes you gotta water it down a bit but it works just fine.

Perfect, thanks.

Any suggestions on primer?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Army Painter spray primer Black is your best bet as a beginner. If you miss little bits, the black will cover for you. When you're feeling more confident, move up to grey if you want your colors to come out more vibrant.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I just buy artist grade fluid acrylics from my local art store. I'm also a professional artist, and have never seen the point in buying citadel or other hobby branded paints. I can see buying the branded stuff if you aren't familiar with art store, but I really urge people to give them a try. You can thin further with acrylic thinning medium, or water in a pinch. I recommend Golden brand, they are high quality, good value, and worker owned.

I'm modifying and painting up a couple lances now, I'll post my results once done.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Many thanks to both Stalins in their advice thus far.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, are all the Wave 1 shipments from the Kickstarter supposed to be out? Haven't seen anything but as far as I could tell reviewing my pledge all my info was correct for shipping. Any way to check on status, or are certain people delayed thanks to Covid or something?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From the latest Kickstarter update:

Wave 1 Fulfillment Status

QML (US/CA) : 100% complete/mailed

GamesQuest (UK/EU) : 100% complete/mailed

Aetherwerks (Aus): 80% complete. Expects to be 100% by end of November. (For those asking why they started and fulfilled other projects during the BattleTech schedule: The company works in teams. The BT team has been working since the project opened, but it is a big project. Meanwhile other teams have started and finished smaller projects along the way.)

Asia: Our hub expects to be done "packaging" by the end of November. That means all of Hong Kong and China will be in the mail, and material will be going out to the subordinate hubs by that time. Japan and Korea expect to have all items mailed by mid December. Singapore by the end of December. No explanation as to why Singapore is taking that much longer, but that is what we know at this time.

I'd try emailing the guys handling the shipping for wherever you live (Quartermaster Logistics if you're in the US or Canada.)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Anyone know what those who recently pledged can expect?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pledge manager closes in about three weeks. Then it ships out in the Spring, if all goes according to plan.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Not bad honestly, I got a lot of stuff for the money I put up, i can wait a few months. I got some etsy mechs to paint and use in the meantime.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MadDogMike posted:

OK, are all the Wave 1 shipments from the Kickstarter supposed to be out? Haven't seen anything but as far as I could tell reviewing my pledge all my info was correct for shipping. Any way to check on status, or are certain people delayed thanks to Covid or something?

First up double check your pledge receipt to make sure you're actually part of wave 1. If everything is correct then: congrats! You're got a hosed up order!

I'm in the same boat as you. I reached out to the fullfilment company and they let me know there are some issues with my order catalyst side. I'm not really in a rush so I didn't press them much on details, but from the sound of things I'm not alone and there are ~80 impacted US pledges with issues that haven't been fullfilled.

They gave me the option of getting a partial Wave 1 delivery, but I opted to just wait for it all to get together. They are super responsive, but I didn't hear anything from them at all and had to contact them up front to learn about the issue.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Battle of Tukayyid PDF is out, seems pretty cool!

Oh, and, uh, Blaine Lee Pardoe and a Catalyst employee are starting a plastic miniature production company to release plastic mechs? Hope that goes well.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 27, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yeah the book is cool.

Really interested to see where the minis go.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Can't wait for Lost Cause Miniatures

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All profits go to the legal fund to defend Confederate monuments.

Good thing nothing from BT ever manages to make a profit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

All profits go to the legal fund to defend Confederate monuments.

Good thing nothing from BT ever manages to make a profit.

Wait what? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If it is in response to the first thing: Blaine Lee Pardoe is a Confederate apologist.

If it is in response to the second thing: BT has a long, long history of financial mismanagement.