Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I found the editing pretty manipulative in this episode, more so than it has been all season. It was all "LOOK LAURA IS STRUGGLING" and "LOOK DAVID IS NEWLY CONFIDENT" over and over and over and it just played on my nerves. I felt especially bad for Laura - just because she had a bad week didn't mean the episode needed to keep hammering the theme of "Laura only lucked into getting this far," and I couldn't help imagining her watching it with family and feeling bummed out about the way she was presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Noel's moment of encouragement with Laura in the finale was probably the only good moment either of them (Matt or Noel) had in the entire series, and it's a shame that it happened once in the entire series. But I'm a sentimental idiot.

Also Laura's response of "I quite like my life," after Noel said "Winning would change your life," made her instantly the best finalist. (After being one of the most boring contestants for the rest of the series.)

It's not really them that are at fault because Noel did that a few times. It's just they've got a very specific style and while it might appeal to us on the forums for a lot of normal people they're just like "???" and I felt that really keenly when Noel was talking to Dave a few times. It felt awkward as hell. I'm not saying they're bad hosts, I'm just saying that for this specific show it doesn't work, I guess.

I didn't like Laura saying I quite like my life mostly because it felt like she was really rich when it showed her house. I'm not saying you should only do bakeoff if it's your last chance for the career of your dreams, it's just a shame to think how much it seriously matters for some people.

It definitely doesn't matter for Peter though, he comes across as being really well off as well.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I liked it because it was a slap down of any sense of THIS BAKING IS IMPORTANT. Not to say it hasn't kicked off a few entertainment careers, but Bake off is at it's best when the stakes are low. "It's just a cake" and all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What do you typically get out of winning Bake Off? Is it a guaranteed lucrative baking career? The only one I've heard of doing anything after the show was Nadiya.

And what about Peter made him seem particularly well off? It's always been a show full of middle class contestants - they need to be able to afford to take a load of time off work. Especially this series where they were in a bubble and not allowed to leave on threat of sniper fire or something.

I liked Laura because her food (seemingly) tasted the best, and that mattered more to her than presentation or technical finesse. That's incredibly refreshing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Alan Partridge and Lyn should be the hosts imo, i'd watch it every week

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

What do you typically get out of winning Bake Off? Is it a guaranteed lucrative baking career? The only one I've heard of doing anything after the show was Nadiya.

And what about Peter made him seem particularly well off? It's always been a show full of middle class contestants - they need to be able to afford to take a load of time off work. Especially this series where they were in a bubble and not allowed to leave on threat of sniper fire or something.

I liked Laura because her food (seemingly) tasted the best, and that mattered more to her than presentation or technical finesse. That's incredibly refreshing.

Every season there's someone who has really good tasting food but fucks up presentation, this is the first time that's got them to the end though.
His accent for one! Usually there are people who aren't super middle class in there, although I understand why that can't be the case this season.

Yea you get a career as a baker. It might not be an amazing one but almost all the winners have gone on to do something like that.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I thought it was just an east coast accent, people seem to think you are posh if you come from Edinburgh

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

You have to be reasonably well off to be on Bake Off as the contestants have to supply all their own ingredients, apart from the final week it seems. Also any trays, tins etc are all supplied by the bakers too. Those silicon molds they were cutting up last week? They were bought by the contestants.

Ruby Tandoh got a Guardian newspaper column out of winning bake off.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Catzilla posted:

You have to be reasonably well off to be on Bake Off as the contestants have to supply all their own ingredients, apart from the final week it seems. Also any trays, tins etc are all supplied by the bakers too. Those silicon molds they were cutting up last week? They were bought by the contestants.

Thats so beyond cheap, especially with the killing they are certainly making off the show.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 26, 2020

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Catzilla posted:

Ruby didn't win her year, but just being in the final seems to be enough to guarantee at least one cookbook or newspaper column anyway. If you're entertaining during the show you can even get noticed without making the final (like Liam, who got his own show for one season and is now on both the Bake Off spin-off shows).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Catzilla posted:

Seriously? I could've sworn I remember hearing that they were basically given whatever they needed.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

crispix posted:

Alan Partridge and Lyn should be the hosts imo, i'd watch it every week

This would make Bake Off instantly watchable for me.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Catzilla posted:

You think they can't just expense all the stuff they bought? I would have thought it so personally.

edit: I googled this:

3. Contestants have to pay for their ingredients

Those that take part have to pay for all of their own ingredients right up until they reach the final – when they are then supplied by the show.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/bake-contestants-pay-ingredients-7-427077

That's absolutely Tory.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 26, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

Seriously? I could've sworn I remember hearing that they were basically given whatever they needed.

I remember either this or masterchef saying they COULD buy their own stuff, if they wanted.
Not that it was always the case, I dunno.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

They do at least practice their signatures and showstoppers multiple times which is not something a person on a constrained budget would necessarily find easy to afford.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I feel like they can buy extra stuff to bring in like a specific alcohol or spice or jam or whatnot the show pantry won’t have, but the prerequisite stuff (sugar, flour, etc) is almost certainly going to be on hand for them.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they can buy extra stuff to bring in like a specific alcohol or spice or jam or whatnot the show pantry won’t have, but the prerequisite stuff (sugar, flour, etc) is almost certainly going to be on hand for them.

I don't see, fundamentally, why they should have to pay for anything. It's an extremely profitable tv show. They should be reimbursed for what they buy. And that link I posted said 'all'. Even if it's just the alcohol or spices or whatnot, the fact that they're not the staples means they're probably going to be more expensive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean contestants on any contest/reality show should also be paid a fair wage but I'm guessing that's not the case either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The ultimate "working for exposure"

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Taear posted:

I didn't like Laura saying I quite like my life mostly because it felt like she was really rich when it showed her house. I'm not saying you should only do bakeoff if it's your last chance for the career of your dreams, it's just a shame to think how much it seriously matters for some people.

It definitely doesn't matter for Peter though, he comes across as being really well off as well.

I really think you're projecting too much onto this show. It's not a vehicle for oppressed proles to rise up, or a front in a class war, or a political statement. It's a low pressure amateur baking competition. Of course it's going to skew middle class. It always has and that's fine. If you're on it and it seriously matters to you, you should probably reassess your planning.

I was happy with this season. All the contestants seemed like normal, decent people who for the most part genuinely got on with each other. I'd agree that Matt was the weak link. Just seemed to continually miss the the tone and it gave the impression that whenever he was near a contestant that they just wanted him to leave. Noel wasn't perfect either, but he did seem a bit more empathetic and was the one who tried to lower the pressure and keep things in perspective when people were getting too worked up about their bakes not setting. Plus it was good to see him engaging more with the judges in their discussions. Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I don't recall one of the presenters advocating as much in previous years.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The ultimate "working for exposure"

The other weird thing is the contestants eat some, but the crew eat the rest. So like. Essentially the contestants are doing a lot of the catering. Unless the contestants are paid for the food consumed, which seems unlikely.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should do it like ready steady cook. Give them a twenty, tell them if they spend more than that they're being too French.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

I really think you're projecting too much onto this show. It's not a vehicle for oppressed proles to rise up, or a front in a class war, or a political statement. It's a low pressure amateur baking competition. Of course it's going to skew middle class. It always has and that's fine. If you're on it and it seriously matters to you, you should probably reassess your planning.

I was happy with this season. All the contestants seemed like normal, decent people who for the most part genuinely got on with each other. I'd agree that Matt was the weak link. Just seemed to continually miss the the tone and it gave the impression that whenever he was near a contestant that they just wanted him to leave. Noel wasn't perfect either, but he did seem a bit more empathetic and was the one who tried to lower the pressure and keep things in perspective when people were getting too worked up about their bakes not setting. Plus it was good to see him engaging more with the judges in their discussions. Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I don't recall one of the presenters advocating as much in previous years.

Eveything is a political statement, sorry.

And yea they definitely said much more to the judges than before, although Mel and Sue did that themselves a bit, sometimes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do it like Can’t Cook, Won’t Cook and have the contestants judged by people who don’t taste the food.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everything judged by phone vote.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a series of blind Twitter polls voting on pictures of the cakes, released without any connection between contestant and food. Turn it into the best plate decorator sim that all cooking shows want to be.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The technical should have an ask the audience option.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every contestant gets a joker card they can play that will force the hosts to annoy someone else of their choosing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Reality show contestants should form a union.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Do contestants on The Apprentice get severance?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They absolutely should have been paid like employees this year on account of having to be in the show bubble for weeks on end.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They absolutely should have been paid like employees this year on account of having to be in the show bubble for weeks on end.

Yea 100%

Some Strange Flea posted:

Do contestants on The Apprentice get severance?

I wonder if they tried to get the Apprentice to work this year?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Taear posted:

Werent all the contestants basically rich? At the start they showed their homes and they all seemed to have massive nice houses... except for the Londoners, who were conspicuously shown in parks or streets instead because London houses are poo poo.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Regardless of how much they're paid or how much is provided once you get on the show, it still takes a lot of baking to get good enough to appear. Equipment, ingredients, a large enough kitchen that you can actually do larger baking. Especially now it's been around long enough that people are literally having bake-off as a goal so they're specifically practicing weird things and large projects, it's not cheap to be a competitive baker.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Werent all the contestants basically rich? At the start they showed their homes and they all seemed to have massive nice houses... except for the Londoners, who were conspicuously shown in parks or streets instead because London houses are poo poo.

Probably. The demographics this season seem very different. I get that it has to be people who can lock down in this manner but still.

In sorta related news I can't believe in I'm a Celebrity when they got pheasant they're like "Oh finally some normal food" when they've had rabbit, hare, squirrel and pidgeon. Is rabbit not normal food? What the gently caress?
To me pheasant is a far rarer thing to be eating.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'll probably find pheasant in Waitrose. I used to buy rabbit from a guy at the farmer's market, but you don't generally get it in the supermarkets. Too many connotations of being rural poor I guess.

He had squirrel and pigeon and sometimes venison if he'd been culling deer out of posh gardens. Nice man.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Taear posted:

Probably. The demographics this season seem very different. I get that it has to be people who can lock down in this manner but still.

In sorta related news I can't believe in I'm a Celebrity when they got pheasant they're like "Oh finally some normal food" when they've had rabbit, hare, squirrel and pidgeon. Is rabbit not normal food? What the gently caress?
To me pheasant is a far rarer thing to be eating.

When do you eat rabbit? I've only ever had it once, when my dad shot one with an air rifle when he spotted it going at the vegetable garden and then decided it would be interesting to try, and I've never heard of anyone actually having it regularly. Pheasant is a classic posh country person staple, if you know people who are into shooting as a sport (and don't stick to clays like a sane person) they almost certainly shoot pheasants, and pretty much all the ones they shoot will end up getting eaten. I've got family who do it a lot, I really don't get it (even aside from the ethics, it's not a fun activity), but it's a common thing.

And just in case you were wondering, neither rabbit or pheasant are particularly nice. I'd rather just have chicken or something.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 27, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I ate it quite a lot when I could get it easily. It's a good lean meat.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Deformed Church posted:

When do you eat rabbit? I've only ever had it once, when my dad shot one with an air rifle when he spotted it going at the vegetable garden and then decided it would be interesting to try, and I've never heard of anyone actually having it regularly. Pheasant is a classic posh country person staple, if you know people who are into shooting as a sport (and don't stick to clays like a sane person) they almost certainly shoot pheasants, and pretty much all the ones they shoot will end up getting eaten. I've got family who do it a lot, I really don't get it (even aside from the ethics, it's not a fun activity), but it's a common thing.

And just in case you were wondering, neither rabbit or pheasant are particularly nice. I'd rather just have chicken or something.

We used to eat rabbit a lot in India, though we were an outlier because we bred them to sell to restaurants. In the UK the local village greengrocer would have locally shot rabbits and pheasants hanging up ready to buy. I don't know if they'd skin or pluck them on request or if you were expected to know what you were doing if you bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I once had an amazing rabbit and plum dish in Brussels. I've tried to recreate to no success.