Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

HUNTER?!

OST: This Is Hunter Speaking

Trees spring up around me, twisting dense to the starless sky all-black; the environment of a stalker, of the cold kill.

So this is Hunter. Why is she here? My thoughts aren't making sense. What is this? I'm dreaming. Of what? Of Blue. Was I? Then why does Hunter feel so real? Her current of gravity draws me in, and my blood reacts to the resonance...

(!Darkness) 14 - [5]+[3]+[2] = 10 - Success.

The Dark posted:

Hunter. The First Lord.
Hunter. The Martinet.
Hunter. Leader of the Blackwing Cult.

Like me, she commands the Dark- she sacrificed self for the right of rule and to overcome. Oh, but her Tyranny had a throne; the blackmetal system of the Old Owl gave her limitless blood to burn, and that blood was Lordly. She painted miles with the violet of her intent.

She's the only one of the Mightiest Three to have sanity, and that was stretched tearing-tight across the power she wielded. Using the connection to her artificial cult, she never woke and never slept, always between both worlds in her ceaseless vigil. Lordly dreams were volatile; to outsiders, to each other, to themselves...

["Now what have I caught lurking so close to Dancer's dreams? You're not a Mythos parasite. Nor an ogre; or a skulking dog for the Fae. But not a lost wanderer either."]

Dancer?! What does she mean? Had I somehow dreamed near Dancer? My brain ripples restless with the color blue as I think in demand of a correlation.

(IQ) 8 - [6]+[6]+[1] = 13 - Failure.

I can't- it doesn't... I'm not sure.

The Dark posted:

Tyrant confidence wavers...

Her tone is playful with violence, as she bobs and leans the bulk of her machine to look me over from all sides. The Old Owl is gloomy with a miasma violet, that final colour that bordered on the fatal of ultraviolet's radiance. Hunter was able to sense the same resonance I did.

["...why, you're a Tyrant! I see it there- density in the pit of your soul. That INTENT."]

I grit my teeth and hold the stare as her voice shades with mockery, bending low so I could feel the sheer WEIGHT of her gravity over me.

["But it's raw. Unrefined. A Tyrant Child!"]

She takes one talon'd step forward as she defines me with derisive delight. I don't step back, but I do begin to let my intent work me apart, knowing by her presence I'm in a dream that I could- had to wake from. I just have to will it.

(WILL - I Will Wake Up) 18 - [6]+[2]+[3] = 10 - Success.

Simple. I allow Hunter a smile under narrowed eyes. I could feel the dreamscape crumbling, trees tipping over and falling apart as my vision blurs from the end of sleep. I'd be free of Hunter and safe, and upon waking I'd have reign of the day to remember and make sense of what this was.

Why is Hunter laughing?

(WILL - Hunter Isn't Done SPEAKING) 30 - [1]+[1]+[3] = 5 - CRITICAL SUCCESS.

["Oh no not YET, TYRANT CHILD. THAT CONFIDENCE IS UNEARNED!"]

Why can't I wake up?! I fall backwards to descend into the void between dream and waking, but all I land on is the cold ground. Your hands grip the soil tightly against the nightmare now dragging you in, her old crone laughter rattling your body as it reverberates through her speakers, as you-

You?

No!

*I*

I still have control! I can still-

-look up-

-to see the blackmetal talons come down on me so fast all I can do is curl up and

The Dark posted:

Tyrant confidence is broken.

Lost all Tyrant power.
Willpower reduced to 10.

You scream. The ground thunders with the force of the stomp.

...you open your eyes, and you were curled up hidden behind a sturdy tree. You were looking right into the starlit face of Blue as she keeps her hand over her mouth, desperate to stifle her laughter as she holds a bucket of paint. You nearly cry out and throw yourself at her, but resist the urge when you hear Hunter shout in surprise. Blue presses a finger to her mouth in silence as she creeps to peek around the tree, winking at you. Peeking with her reveals... a crude effigy, crushed under the Old Owl's talons, smearing black paint everywhere.

["WHERE DID-"]

Blue retreats back as Hunter starts to search, eyes bulged as she fights to restrain herself. You... you can't help it. You start to giggle too. You bite your lip and hold your chest, Blue leaking mascara tears as her own mirth goes critical- she fooled Hunter so bad, she got her so good and you can't, don't, hold it-

(WILL) 10 - [3]+[4]+[5] = 12 - Failure.

You laugh. Blue lets her hands go, and she laughs with you, out into the dim forest air, which grows bright with every leaf turning starlight. You laugh harder, as the gravity of the Old Owl tears away the tree you hid behind. You laugh hardest, when Blue screams "GOTCHA GRANNA!!!" at the top of her lungs, the cabaret crusader pointing at the Lord with fearless triumph. You crawl to hide at Blue’s legs, still giggling, slipping on fresh-fallen starlight paint all the way over. Hunter stands strict-tall, voice rage behind the rasp as she addresses Blue with ["STOP IT! Cast this thing out NOW. If you dream any more lucidly you-"]

Blue leans down tango-quick to pull you up, spinning you in place to meet Hunter's face. She whispers "Little karma, little luck, little hit-like-a-truck~" before she plugs both of your ears with her thumbs, keeping you still. She... does something. You can't hear it, and you can't see her, but you feel your bones soften, vibrate, your muscles contract, gyrate, your eyes burn, hydrate.

The sky...

...like the ultimate of a starlight night.

The Old Owl slows with its violet dimming, before it collapses inert. What did Blue-

Event Log posted:

Hunter's ST is already at F-Rank.
Hunter's DX is already at F-Rank.
Hunter's IQ has dropped to F-Rank!
Hunter's HT has dropped to F-Rank!
Hunter's WL has dropped to F-Rank!
Hunter's PE has dropped to F-Rank!

Your ears are unplugged and the spasms leave you, as your partner in crime grabs your hand to pull you away. "C'MON, SHE'LL SHAKE IT OFF" - she screams with the dreams of Getting Away With It, taking you into the all-blue night of the forest, through hours and hours dreamed of hidden paths through the infinite lost. But you're not fleet like her, swift and sure- eventually you tumble and fall. But Blue doesn't leave you behind. She stops to reach down and take you back up with an encouraging smile-

She recoils, with a sound like a viper had risen up to meet her.

Blue, Blue, why are you pleading? You're just sitting in topaz sands. You stand up slowly, to get your head above the sapphire waters. You push up, to move aside the emerald jungle. Blue, Blue, why are you crying? You're just in the shallows, swimming to the beach, walking under the canopy. Blue, Blue, why are you screaming? You're just handing her a pair of garden shears, the only sharp tool that was left. You're just following her down the hall, as she claws at the walls. You're just peeking at the crack in the door to the room, where the oil has to be cut.

Hunter was inside that room.
Red raw ruined.
She was begging her to wake up.

Blue's looking at you and there's no joy left in those loveless lifeless lightless eyes.

But she smiles, sinking to her knees refusing to look as the door opens, taking your hand to squeeze it tight, reaching to your side to drag up your metal heavyfull six, six chances, six clicks, and she hugs you as the metal presses tight to temple and didn't you know the house always wins-

Black August fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

...oh. Oh dear.

Did we just kill Blue? Or Hunter?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
:frogsiren: WHAT HAVE WE DONE? :psyboom:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

We're still dreaming, so things might not be as bad as they appear. (Still pretty bad though to get dreams like these)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Sun rose...

DAWN OF THE SIXTH DAY.
HP: [ 19 / 19 ]
FP: [ 7 / 14 ] [Lost Sleep...] [Nightmare!]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ 20% ]

[Will is 10 and all Tyrant abilities are locked for the rest of the day.]

You don't realize you're awake for a while. Kwiat's gentle sounds rouse you, followed by a sudden headache wracking you fully aware. You wipe your eyes with a dry groan, crawling to a crack of water in the wall to gulp it down. Your heart is racing- what did you just dream? You splash the icy water over your head, scrubbing it clean dry with Red's shroud, before you open Kwiat's cage, crawl inside, hold onto her, and begin to shake so hard your teeth chatter. You gasp for air that just doesn't seem to reach your lungs. You want to call out- but nobody is listening.

You reach for calm. Focus. Focus your breathing. Think. Reach out across that void and find the Silver Mind.

(The Silver Mind) 11 - [6]+[6]+[4] = 16 - Failure...

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ 30% ]

Find it. Find it! Idiot- THINK! Where was it?! Just gray. Sloppy dull dim gray. No black, no silver, no color but dorsal. You pound your hand into the stone floor, over and over and over until it hurts and Kwiat gets up to scurry away from your thrashing. You immediately beg for an apology from her, sitting up with hurting hand shaking. Don't. Don't go. Don't.

(Disquiet) 9 - [6]+[6]+[2] = 14 - Failure...

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ 40% ] [Disquiet]

no no no please no why is everything bad why is everything always going to go wrong why why why why WHY DO YOU KEEP loving UP?!

The tears come and you hide under your shroud, burying your head into the corner with hand around your neck and nails clawing at your eyes stop CRYING or Śmiercią will hear and she'll get so ANGRY, STOP CRYING-

you rake your eyes

[-1 HP]

you bite your hand and scream into it as you draw blood

[-1 HP]

You take out your gun and charge to the door, certain something had heard you and was racing that second to find you, to hate you, to mutilate you. You slide down and press into the door weakly, gun shaking in your bleeding hand, eyes darting in desperation to finish adjusting to the dim blue dark of the waterlit room. Kwiat clucks and you shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shh sh no no don't let them FIND you.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ 30% ] [Disquiet]

...rain. It's raining out.

You can feel and hear it, and the waterflow through the room was heavier. Nothing was outside the door. You had to just- just had to do something. Do something. Do anything. Get up, or move, or hide, or Śmiercią will know and she'll scream at you. She'll be so so angry.

[PC] - ...what do you DO?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Devour gun angrily, gun is out

Can we have a not-gun related option? no? guess it's time to go back and learn about gun safety in da school zone.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Who knows if Blue is actually dead - we may still very well be in a dream and/or psychosis.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Let's stay close to Kwiat, but not simply sit and let our thoughts fester.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Little Karma, little luck, little hit you like a truck, now all your stats are suck!

... Did that say Red raw ruined? I'm super concerned about the colors referenced in those final paragraphs.

Let's search about the school. We may not be alone.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Well, that tells us what Starlight Serenade does I think - a super star debuff. Neat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, if nothing else, we now know that Hunter's Str and Dx are her weak points. The question is at what cost did we learn that? And does it matter at this point?

Edit: if nothing else, at this point, the character sheet still lists all the Lords as being alive, and it doesn't say that we missed a chance to off Hunter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
it doesn't say whose temple the shears (gun?) was pointed at

if it was our own, it may have either a) trying to sever our link with the Tyrant and our Corruption (not easy) or b) been just to wake us up

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Randalor posted:

Well, if nothing else, we now know that Hunter's Str and Dx are her weak points. The question is at what cost did we learn that? And does it matter at this point?

I'm guessing that low ST/DX is because she's tethered to her machine, which... is nice to know, I guess? But I'm not sure it makes anything easier.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think it means that if we can sneak into the airship and survive her initial attack, we have a pretty good chance. But that'll be a long way in the future! Also worth noting that we learned Doubler and Moulder are utterly insane, so we're unlikely to be able to befriend them.

I do hope Dancer is alright... Especially given that Hunter said ["STOP IT! Cast this thing out NOW. If you dream any more lucidly you-"]. I think "this thing" is probably us.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it means that if we can sneak into the airship and survive her initial attack, we have a pretty good chance. But that'll be a long way in the future! Also worth noting that we learned Doubler and Moulder are utterly insane, so we're unlikely to be able to befriend them.

I do hope Dancer is alright... Especially given that Hunter said ["STOP IT! Cast this thing out NOW. If you dream any more lucidly you-"]. I think "this thing" is probably us.

iirc the Third Lord (doubler) has been described as 'everdrowning' and its chief cultist mostly comforts its bodies as they wash up on shore

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
its worth noting that in a dream being shot in the head has likely effects which include "awakening your persona" so we shouldn't jump to conclusions

otoh we should probably assume blue paid a real price for helping us

also when possible, we need to put a couple of point into the old noggin. we don't need to be a genius, just be able to put things together

otoh a certain nameless one once crushed its own tyrant beneath the weight of accumulated will and intellect modifiers and then ripped the brand of torment off its own skin and made it an item which casts a level 9 aoe spell with unlimited uses... so genius does have its benefits

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This does throw a wrench in our plan to befriend Dancer and Burner and resurrect Kwiat the chicken, doesn't it?

It also looks like my plan of "wait and calm down, especially as we don't have the Tyrant to step in and lock down our anxiety" is getting outvoted.

Did Blue shoot herself or us with the revolver? I'm parsing that last scene as Blue hugging us and shooting us in the head to get us away from Hunter.

We are really going to need to figure out how to stand on our own two feet, we can't keep dragging Dancer and maybe Burner around to solve all our bullshit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Randalor posted:

Edit: if nothing else, at this point, the character sheet still lists all the Lords as being alive, and it doesn't say that we missed a chance to off Hunter.
Makes sense that it doesn't say that, I don't think Hunter can be killed in a dream of their making.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - [ white noise ]

walk gun is OUT - 7
school gun is OUT - 23
bed gun is OUT - 3

...LOADING

hapsby
Oct 12, 2012

I just think this judgy rabbit makes a good av.

i'm a little late with this comment, but if we're ever forced to eat kwiat, i will take a permanent disquiet penalty irl.

Black August, your writing is beautiful and nasty and shocking and frightening and evocative and unsettling and uplifting and oh so lovely. i cannot thank you enough for sharing this mysterious adventure with us.

e: i can't spell

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

c'mon c'mon don't lose your focus get up.
get UP.
listen to the rain and hide between the droplets where nobody would ever look; easy easy.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ 30% ] [Disquiet]

You swallow once, and wave to Kwiat. You promise her, you promise her three times-

I love you.
I love you.
I love you.

You'll be right back. You'll be right near. You'll always be here.

Lick your lips, kick open the door, down the sights gun OUT-

Just a flooding roof. Water is getting in. poo poo! You run out and push the door closed, still shaking from your self-harm and the weight of exhaustion over you. Yesterday's escape and long swim followed by a poor night's sleep left you drunk from fatigue. Every muscle hurt.

You stalk the roof squatted low, the rain drenching Red's shroud dries almost as fast as it soaks through, leaving you damply warm. You scan through the downpour, gun always aimed out, one arm held over it to hide and keep it dry. Twenty minutes pass while you scour every corner of the roof and what was visible below for signs of intruders, but you see nothing but a lot of puddles, and the skateboard hiding under a bench out of the water.

no no but you know better don't you they'll hide INSIDE and sniff sniff for blood so you'll sneak and peek to bang bang their brain

You rush to the furthest roof access, and duck down the ladder into the collapsed hallway. You stop to scuttle behind the rubble, sitting with back against the wall, aiming up at the ladder and then down the hall. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down.

Rainfall silence.

It's been long enough. You get up and creep quiet through the halls. So you're... down here now. It's hard to focus, what were you even doiSECURE THE AREA THEY'LL USE THE RAIN FOR NOISE-COVER TOO yes yes don't stop until every possible place is swept what if something smelled you from when you slept on the stage what if they follow from that?!

You continue to stalk. Each room, if the door was open, gets a sweep and a peek. Shadows hurry out of your way for vision clean into the black, compromised by the claw marks over your eyes and the weight of unrest giving you a splitting headache. You haven't eaten yet but the acid boiling in your belly, combined with last night's excess of soda, left you wanting only milk of magnesia. You shake it off with an angry inward growl, working your way with painful slow through the halls. You reach the auditorium at last, taken aback for just a moment at the chorus it now sang with because of the rain coming through the roof. Hundreds of water rivulets coursed under the chairs and down the walls, leaving the stage a curtained island as the flood drains back out into the waterfall. You look at it for a moment, leaning on the door after checking your back. The gun was so heavy from constantly keeping it aimed. Your stone sword weighed your belt. Just one second... rest and listen to the song...

ANXIETY: [ X ][ 20% ] [Disquiet]

You slowly rise back up from your gradual slump to the floor, fighting off the urge to sleep. Your disquiet burns gray-hot, but you're so worn out and in pain that all you can manage from it is a slow ugly sadness. You rub your swollen eyes and carry on, slumping back into a tired stalk as you make up your mind to check out parts of the building you haven't seen yet, and maybe poke around a bit for something useful. Shame trickles warm down your neck as you concede that the day was going to be wasted. You had ideas of securing the school and scavenging it top to bottom, but your horrible morning, the rain, and your lack of sleep drags you down barely two hours after you woke up. You don't have it in you. So... may as well make the token effort, and then sit there in your dorsal state until the dark came.

After staring out the front door at the downpour for another half-hour, you shuffle down a new first-floor hall with quiet tension in your knees, still driven by a nagging fear something was near. You pass a long row of decayed wood lockers you haven't seen yet, set into the stone wall with sturdy locks. Maybe later. It's too much right now to wail on the locks or p̷i̢ck͘ them. Pick ̷ing lockss

you're so tired but you hear him doing it posted:

you hear the Thief making that obnoxious little teeth-clicky sound again. Always when he thought you did something that wasn't a good move. You glare back at him, and ask WHO of you two did the Boss pick to be the official locksmith for the town? HM?

Always that olive smile inside of his mustard hood. He shrugs. "Yeah. You lockSMITH, not PICK. I mean, fine, no duh you're PICKing up how to pick them too as a matter of course." You bang the unopened lock against the door, and stand up to glare daggers his way. NOT today. Not on 3 hours of sleep. He backs off with his hands up, smile softening. "Hey. Sorry. Didn't mean it like that. You are good at this stuff. You pay attention, and the Boss has a lot of respect for your hustle. Look, look at this, I'll make this easy by sharing a trick."

He yanks something out of his pocket. It was a small round metal disc. He winks once, and bends down to allow you space to see what he's doing. He slides a pick into the lock, noting its design and contours. "Alright... feels like it came from a common timeline... so not too deviant from standard design patterns... and there it is. Ok. This is the big trick. It's called a magnet, and it performs miracles."

He presses the disc to a particular point on the lock, and wiggles it for a while, before there's a sharp TAK and the lock pops open with another few seconds of pickwork. The Thief stands up, claps the magnet into your hands, and steps back with arms out in expectation of adulation. Baggy as your eyes are, they crinkle up with a smile.

ssssssSHIT WHAT FELL ON THE FLOOR JUST NOW AIM DOWN GUN OUT

LOCK!

Lock?!

Lock.

Fell off its hinge. You aim at the locker, and with your nerves flaring to chase away the sleepy feeling, you put a hand on the wooden handle... and yank it open, leaping back with a slide-to-crouch as both hands swing up to aim at the open door.

Special Holiday Event! posted:

It's a holy day! Even the damned can earn their respite, if only for one blood-hallowed night of the feast.

(Quality?) Rndm - [2]+[3]+[2] = 7 - Good!!

!!!!!!!!!!

CANNED FOOD. Canned food! An entire LOCKER OF IT! Oh it was even dusty and kind of dingy- not a LICK of Fae scent on it, just boring-bland-safe-canned! You collapse and slam your hands to your mouth to stifle the sudden joy. Beans! OHHHHH! BARBEQUE FLAVOR! And... and some... is it? Was it?! JALAPENO CHEESE AND CRACKERS. Corn! Tsili sprouts! GRAVY. CANS OH CANS OF GRAVY. But was there... had to be... JUST ONE OF...

YES!!!!!!!

[+11 days food supply!]
[-Disquiet]

You don't care. You don't! You grab it and charge outside, running around the side of the school, gun waved in one hand, can held high in the other, cloak fluttering against the stormy winds. You end up in the courtyard to rush to where the skateboard is hiding, wailing like a wounded animal as you dance in front of it and wave the can to show off.

The skateboard... rolls back a little ways. You laugh as you pant for air, the release of tension making you sweaty. But you and the skateboard both look at each other in pause as you hear it; above the sound of the rain was a rising high-pitched droning noise. You duck under the bench with the board, gun out and dead still, heart starting to race. You were ready. YOU WERE READY!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ 30% ]

...........THERE! Up in the sky! It was a. Uh. Some kind of small black flying machine? With a box, and blinking light that flashed red, yellow, and blue. You steady and try to aim up at it while watching, giving the skateboard an inquisitive look. But it didn't know either. You felt tense from possible danger, but it was kept in check by the fact that the machine was barely keeping up in the rain, and was flying disorderly from navigating the downpour. All the same- it had to die.

You very carefully brace yourself against the bench, and aim your gun best you could... eyes blurred... will weak... arms tired...

You nearly shoot from surprise when the skateboard suddenly rockets out from under the bench, cutting water into the air as it picks up speed on the soaked stones. It cuts a HARD corner on two wheels, but turns it into a spin of additional momentum. The board continues to angle, hops a ledge, and finally hits one of the ramps of the wall.

It catches air like a tomahak, spinning fast enough to look like a black wheel as it expertly *PINGS* off the flying machine, sending them both falling to the ground. But the board-!

(DEX - I GOT IT I GOT IT GOT-) 11 - [1]+[5]+[1] = 7 - Success!!

-IT! The skateboard falls RIGHT into your open hand! YES!!! You throw it into the air to hi5 it on the way down. Which hurts because it's wood and metal and your hand is already hosed up, but this little sleep and emotional whiplash makes lots of things seem like a good idea.

You nearly fire your gun off again when the machine smashes into the ground about 3 feet away from the both of you. When the panic clears, you approach to see what in the world you were dealing with. Just... a little flying machine. Oh, wait! It had the MC&D logo on it! Wait. Wait. Why?! What was its cargo? The box was sturdy but busted open around the edges from the fall. You aim your gun yet again, moving in with violent intent as you kick the box a few times, ready to shoot. The skateboard watches, ready to bolt.

The box falls open. ...did you smell food? You squat down while the board rolls around to look with you. It takes ten seconds of examination and disbelief to confirm- there were several packages of hot food inside. You could SMELL it. Was this a Fae trap? Poking with your gun, you find a slip of paper attached to one of the boxes. It- hey, you know these. It was a receipt from the fractal convenience. It had a delivery charge on it, and an unclear destination of REG01STH2DRMGATE02.

You grab the machine's corpse and with a finders-keepers titter of evil, and begin the animal labor of hauling the mess into the dry hall. You load up the hot food with the mass of canned goods in your pack... and go back outside to approach the skateboard again. You give it a part of the dead machine, and a can of cream spinach. The board allows you to place them on top of it, before it stares at you for a moment and then takes back off to hide from the storm.

Your sack now weighed a loving ton, but this was your last missive of the day. You knew to quit when you were ahead. You struggle all the way back to the roof, and then to your hidden lair. You sing-song Kwiat's name, flopping on the ground after you open her cage to let your arms stop hurting. She walks all over you again, exploring the bag's smells. You chuckle and thumbs-up the chicken. See? Gonna provide for baby.

Oh wait, hot food! You consider that you actually are kinda-

Trash Compactor + Six-Pack Subscription + Central Nervous posted:

YEAH YEAH YEAH

You throw your cloak over Kwiat. It has to be a surprise. What did you get? Lots of little boxes. Tumeric-Teriyaki Rice... Spiced Apple Salad... Pepper Honey... Beet Stuffing... Blue Turnip Pie... Crunchy Pork Pasta... Pierce Bread... Picowhale Sushi... and one tiny bottle of lemon wine. You yank the sheet off to show the chicken - surprise! No eating stale bugsnax and wilted greens today!

Soon, the cloak is spread out as a little picnic blanket, and you and Kwiat sit on it with your meal, wolfing down every last bite. It was some really good stuff! You haven't eaten this good since... well, you're too tired to want to think on it. You're so, so very tired- but you're content in this moment. The storm rages on outside. Kwiat was bindled up next to you on the bed of silk, with pack pillow and heated cloak blanket. You were well fed, found a windfall of supplies, and didn't feel bad about spending the rest of the day warm and asleep in the security of your hideaway. The downpour roar lulls you further into rest, just enough that you feel a silver neuron flare, sending signals to the fungal colony they neighbored.

(The Silver Mind - Truffle Therapy) 11 - [2]+[4]+[3] = 9 - Success!!

As you lie on the warm ground, your muscles soften and relax, your thoughts swirling off into a colorful cascade that took you down as gently as it could manage. It succeeds the careful act, flooding your brain with psilo-softness.

ANXIETY: [ 10% ] [Mushroom]

It was-

It was a good day. It WAS. It has been good. You felt good. It was ok! All this food and the excuse to let your poor body rest the hours away made you wonder, as the mushrooms defy your disquiet, whether there was the hope someone was watching over you after all.

...like an angel...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A very bad night and morning has managed to smooth itself out with some lucky good rolls. You lost most of the day, but got way ahead all the same. But more bounty than the food windfall is what the holy day allows you to do.

You can spend any Levels you've accumulated without asking Śmiercią's permission!

Your current character statistics screen-

[CHARACTER SHEET]

You have 2 Levels to spend. Because this is a holy day gift, you can spend the Levels to upgrade whatever you want. Your only restrictions are as follows-

Level Up! posted:

1. You can only upgrade something once.

2. You can't upgrade beyond A+-Rank.

3. You acknowledge and accept that increasing your Level also increases your risks.

There is not going to be a strict vote-choice for this Level Up. Instead, open thread discussion about what feels like the best choices is encouraged. When a general consensus is reached, or enough time passes by tomorrow, a decision will be made and the last day of the week will begin.

Questions or confusions will be addressed as needed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Not voting yet, just looking at the character sheet and considering. Tyranny is an obvious choice considering it's our class' primary skill, although it will make us a bit more susceptible to the Dark. It's probably a worthy tradeoff though?

Beyond that, Intelligence strikes me as being a decent shot, both the Silver Mind and Tyranny need it and we're dumb as a brick currently.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 27, 2020

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

thinking intelligence and perception might be good to boost - would help with both Tyrant and Psychic abilities plus make it easier to use our new healing skill

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hm. I forget, wasn't there something on getting rid of flaws by spending levels?
Sorting out Disquiet would be nice, if that's an option.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Unfortunately, buying off Flaws requires extraordinary circumstances or long term gradual changes. You’re stuck with your current Flaws.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Stoner Sloth posted:

thinking intelligence and perception might be good to boost - would help with both Tyrant and Psychic abilities plus make it easier to use our new healing skill

I agree with this. Perception looks to be slightly more key since it's Psychic's primary stat, but I haven't looked closely at how our spell works, and in general increasing Intelligence could do us a lot of favors.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Antivehicular posted:

I agree with this. Perception looks to be slightly more key since it's Psychic's primary stat, but I haven't looked closely at how our spell works, and in general increasing Intelligence could do us a lot of favors.

Yeah agreed about Perception. Plus increasing our mental powers could definitely be handy if we have to go back into the dream world and we've already got kickass willpower so figure these two would be a natural evolution to get us a little bit better at dealing with mental tasks.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Better braining should work in our favor so I'm behind this.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Put it all in intelligence.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
it may be worth boosting the silver mind, or even the tyrant. i think we end it to be stronger if we're ever going to do that gold border thing that sounds important

e: oh we have two levels, yeah, stats
going long term, here's some powerhouse level 3 perks from the gurps superlite book:

Altered Time Rate - You move unbelievably fast - you take two turns for every one you get.

Compartmentalized Mind - Whether by training, technology, or magic, your brain is able to process in parallel - you can think and take two mental actions of any kind at the same time, including using Skills and Powers.

mind you i dunno if you can just save up levels and buy that stuff outside of going all in on one at character creation or having a lot of fun with flaws

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 27, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

habituallyred posted:

Put it all in intelligence.

we can only improve any one thing once

e: we could put a level in our psi, which I think relates to the silver mind and maybe the mushroom stuff?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 27, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Just to be clear, we can upgrade any stats, as well as skills and powers? But nothing else?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I definitely like upgrading PE from 11 to 13 for the silver mind procs - right now we have a bit over a 60% chance of getting it, and with the upgrade that jumps to over 80%, cutting the failure chance by about half. That’s a big deal.

IQ feels like a good second pick. On the one hand it doesn’t come up that often, and we’ve got occultism from Darkness to fill some of the gaps. But on the other hand it feels like we might not get the chance to boost it too often, and right now it’s a bit of a vulnerability. Going from 8 to 10 would double our success chances on an unmodified roll, from roughly 25% to 50%. Alternatively, there’s major return on going from B-rank HT to A-rank - it increases by 4 rather than 2, making it impossible to fail an unmodified roll, and our natural DR increases by 1. HT rolls are what decide whether we stay conscious and/or alive at negative HP, so this would be very nice indeed. In a vacuum, where we knew we’d be able to upgrade IQ later, I’d rather go with HT. But right now I think we’re much more likely to get a chance to upgrade HT in the near future than IQ, so I’d be happy with either.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 27, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Bear in mind that Tyranny governs our combat skill - it does feel like boosting that is worth it, as it'll come up a lot. I guess IQ or PE as well?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Razakai posted:

Bear in mind that Tyranny governs our combat skill - it does feel like boosting that is worth it, as it'll come up a lot. I guess IQ or PE as well?

this is a good point - think of the other two PE is probably the more immediately useful so Perception and Tyranny sounds like a good combo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

IQ is a biggie, and I'd say upgrade Tyrant while we're at it. If we normally need rely on finding a trainer to upgrade skills, it sounds like we've pissed off the only other Tyrant we know of, so might as well get in the upgrade now.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
IQ Vs PE is tricky. I don't like being dumb, but PE governs our Psionics, and we don't have a lot of spells or stuff keying off it yet. So I'd be more inclined to do Tyrant and PE.

e: bear in mind that normal levelling needs to find trainers etc. I imagine stat trainers and so on are way more common that something that could train Tyrant stuff

Razakai fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 27, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
iq and perception seems like a solid bet at the moment. leveling can be a lot more sexy than boosting some stats, but our fundamentals kinda do need shoring up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Can we put a point into ![ER_INVALID]? Not sure if skills can be independently leveled but if so, I vote we put a point there. It'd be nice if our character could be happy again.

Other than that, I agree we should upgrade perception.