Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Olpainless posted:

Summon necro is definitely the best class to start off with as it's the most gear-independent, reliable class in the game. It'll never kill super-quickly, but it will kill, and it's got essentially infinite survivability.

This is what I went with - I picked up the game... I want to say roughly a year ago? And just got around to finishing Act 5 the other day.

Literally the only issue you might have is some of the final bosses will require you to retreat and replenish your armies several times due to their powerful AoE. The nice thing about this is you can Town Portal out in the middle of a boss fight, Waypoint back to act 1 or something to raise another skeleton army, then head back and use the TP to resume the fight, they don't reset when you leave.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does anyone know anything about Project D2? It looks like it is starting up its own servers on November 1st.

I'm curious about it since its webpage doesn't list all its changes, but everything it does show seems lifted directly from PoD.

And adding to that, anything mentioning Project D2 on the PoD forums seems to get deleted immediately so I'm assuming there's some drama involved.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 11, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, since there isn't exactly a Diablo 1 topic, I just played through said game again. I'd played through it once before, just before picking up Diablo 2 roughly a year ago as I just posted above. I played a warrior because lolcanon.

This time, I did the Hellfire stuff as well since it came packaged with it (got it via GoG), and played as a mage. I uhh... I think I get why mages are considered the best Diablo 1 class. That mage gave less of a gently caress than the warrior *ever* did, and had Fireball spam to boot. (Also holy gently caress Na-krul at the end of the Hellfire stuff is a pansy. I know I used the spellbooks to weaken him, but he literally went down in two fireballs)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 12, 2020

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...

Vakal posted:

Does anyone know anything about Project D2? It looks like it is starting up its own servers on November 1st.

I'm curious about it since its webpage doesn't list all its changes, but everything it does show seems lifted directly from PoD.

And adding to that, anything mentioning Project D2 on the PoD forums seems to get deleted immediately so I'm assuming there's some drama involved.

SenpaiSomething on Twitch has a bunch of VODs that go over changes and general reasoning behind those changes. I don't think there's an updated wiki yet listing all the changes (some older ones are floating around) but it seems really interesting so far. Many of the changes are geared to making lots of classes/specs end-game viable and making gear more varied across all levels and the end-game.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Decided to start on some basic text modding just to make things a little more fun, and to try and balance out everything a little, while adding some more flavour.

Little things like adding a bunch of the disabled magic affixes and suffixes, adding %ele skill damage as mods on jewellery, +tree/class rings, +tree jewels. All adds up!

Want to add more flavour and targeting to drops next, see if I can't get more interesting mob groups, etc. Simple things, but they'll make the game much more fun, especially solo, i think!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PoppingFresh posted:

SenpaiSomething on Twitch has a bunch of VODs that go over changes and general reasoning behind those changes. I don't think there's an updated wiki yet listing all the changes (some older ones are floating around) but it seems really interesting so far. Many of the changes are geared to making lots of classes/specs end-game viable and making gear more varied across all levels and the end-game.

I went through his latest vids and it looks quite promising.

The only thing I'm not sure about is runes being purchasable from vendors.

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...
The runes and gems being sold by vendors are for the dev build while stuff is being tested iirc. Only the new crafting reagents are sold from vendors.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Ok, that 's good to know.

I wouldn't be against lower runes being sold at vendors since it would save hoarding the things, but I guess then there would have to be some way to disable the cube recipe to upgrade runes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is anyone playing project d2? I heard there were lots of stability issues.

I'm not the biggest fan of mods that change a lot about the game. I have played eastern sun & various versions of median quite a bit but never really fell in love with them. However, I might end up killing some time there once everything is stable.

Slash Diablo resets on nov 20th. Unfortunately, d3 does on the same day. I might just play slash instead because this season seems like a rehash of a season bonus I played to death already. I've been meaning to play xpac one season on slash and this might be it. Maybe.

If anyone is down for playing some softcore or hardcore expansion on slash let me know. I usually rush toward an enchant sorc there so making new characters is quick & easy (at least, getting over the 1-25 hump is, and the rest of the game is fun). The only difference from official servers is there are multiple game servers with multiple locations to pick from, drop rate is like a full game (slightly better even), and maphack is legal & provided for you. The maphack used has a lot of cool features that most pservers incorporate like loot filter, auto party/auto share loot for hc, auto filling game name/password, hotkeys to put stuff in storage/cube, auto identify (I don't use this or know how it works), and of course maphack & monsters on minimap.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 9, 2020

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Project D2's servers were a lot better today. Played a new character to lvl 30 and I think I only got booted once.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Project D2 has me curious and itching to come back. Minus server status what has the experience been like so far ?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

vermeul posted:

Project D2 has me curious and itching to come back. Minus server status what has the experience been like so far ?

It's very hard for no reason and there arent patchnotes. It's fun if you dont play melee but so far it just feels like diablo 2

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...
Been playing Project Diablo 2 and so far I like it. The server issues were allegedly being caused by DDOS attacks on the game servers since launch, but it seems like the devs have been continuously patching and IP banning so the attacks are less effective? I don't know if a lot has changed about the game (definitely not Median XL territory) but there are new stat buffs/nerfs to items and a few new skills. The wiki doesn't have all the skill updates but does show the item and runeword updates. Melee seems effective but the difficulty is more in line with vanilla LoD than PoD. Most of the overly effective builds were nerfed a bit and other builds are now viable. Almost all builds feel/seem "decent enough but not overpowered" and you will need to farm Nightmare a bit before going to Hell difficulty.

The biggest selling point for me was the QoL changes (stacking runes, hot keys, stat pages) and making more items/builds viable.

And melee feels fine right now tbh. Melee splash goes a long way to help out melee. Leveled a Werewolf druid and melee zon and it was ok. Again, not easy but not so difficult to make me regret the choice.

I agree that the wiki needs to be more up-to-date and the list of known bugs needs to be put out somewhere for people to see.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
is there a thread for project d2 or is this it?

Solaerin
Mar 11, 2015

I've been playing Project D2 and enjoying it. I'm currently playing through NM on a meteor sorc and it feels like I have to be a lot more methodical than I would have to be on vanilla D2, though I am playing on HC and I try to play safe. A huge part of this is also that they made teleport use the lightning FCR frames, which means at low breakpoints you're teleporing very slowly. The QoL changes are all really great, especially the big stash and the ability to stack crafting items, the ability to filter searches when joining a game, etc.

The big runewords that you would usually craft and then use to breeze through to Hell (Stealth, Spirit) are all weaker, which means I actually pick up rare armor and orbs in hopes of finding an upgrade, and not just so that I can vendor it. With that being said, I think the experience of playing through the game is going to mirror vanilla D2 a lot until you get into the higher levels and can start doing maps and other high-end farming/group content.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

server shut down indefinitely because they ran an unedited 1.13c client open to 8 year old dupe methods lol

people were going into trist runs and dropping stacks of 50 jah runes

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So far the most bizarre change in PD2 is moving Fara in act 2.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

server shut down indefinitely because they ran an unedited 1.13c client open to 8 year old dupe methods lol

people were going into trist runs and dropping stacks of 50 jah runes

ahaha oops

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I’ve just been playing it in SP and it’s been great. It does feel like you have to sink all your skill points into synergies though

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Khorne posted:

Is anyone playing project d2? I heard there were lots of stability issues.

I'm not the biggest fan of mods that change a lot about the game. I have played eastern sun & various versions of median quite a bit but never really fell in love with them

So far it's been pretty close to the unmodded experience. Unlike Eastern Sun, they didn't really add anything new to the game - just re-balanced the tons and tons of irrelevant content that's already in the game. Also, lots of QoL improvements and server admins that actually pay attention to what the players are doing, so hopefully there will be fewer cheaters.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

They ship with a stripped out open source maphack and enabling the functionality is trivial lol

Glad they patched the 1.13 packet dupes though

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They ship with a stripped out open source maphack and enabling the functionality is trivial lol

Glad they patched the 1.13 packet dupes though

How do you enable this?

They've also added some new skills to most or all of the classes, not sure if they replaced existing skills with them.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
pretty strange to do baal runs that aren't led by a bot

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've dragged a Frozen Orb Sorceress through NM in PD2 with the help of pubbies, and now I'm not sure how to begin the process of gearing up. It's been so long since I played that I don't remember at all! I can't easily kill NM Meph since I'm mostly in awful gear around level 50 something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Andy over and over is you did the trick to get her to drop good loot like the first drop every time, probably

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
get an act 2 merc with an insight polearm/spear as soon as you can, and if you get him a bit of life leech you should be able to kill mephisto with him tanking regardless of your gear. If you leech some baal runs up to like 65 or so it'll be even easier

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've dragged a Frozen Orb Sorceress through NM in PD2 with the help of pubbies, and now I'm not sure how to begin the process of gearing up. It's been so long since I played that I don't remember at all! I can't easily kill NM Meph since I'm mostly in awful gear around level 50 something.
If you got teleport you can “moat” meph. Basically you teleport to a spot where you’re far enough away from meph that he can’t target you, but you can hit him from range. And he can’t go after you directly because he’s stuck behind the moat of blood.

I usually do this from the left side. But don’t go too far left that you aggo Maffer, or too far right that you aggro the rest of the council. This takes practice. If you’re strong enough to take the council members then it’s easier and their drops aren’t bad either.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Laslow posted:

If you got teleport you can “moat” meph. Basically you teleport to a spot where you’re far enough away from meph that he can’t target you, but you can hit him from range. And he can’t go after you directly because he’s stuck behind the moat of blood.

I usually do this from the left side. But don’t go too far left that you aggo Maffer, or too far right that you aggro the rest of the council. This takes practice. If you’re strong enough to take the council members then it’s easier and their drops aren’t bad either.
I thought in pd2 meph flies and can cross the moat

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So how would PD2 be for somebody with the sudden itch to play Diablo 2 again after a million years? I haven't played since like, 1.09 and I don't think I ever got past normal so I don't know a whole lot about how to Diablo 2 Good. Does it have any way of respecing or anything? It was always kind of stressful feeling like I needed to have a character planned out from the start down to every last point and the exact gear they'd end up using or I'd just totally screw myself over.

I also remember really liking summon necros just for having my own pocket army murder everything, but I remember they fell off pretty hard post-normal from what I heard about, though I've heard in times since they've apparently become like the single most gear-independent class in the game and actually really drat good?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Inverted Sphere posted:

So how would PD2 be for somebody with the sudden itch to play Diablo 2 again after a million years? I haven't played since like, 1.09 and I don't think I ever got past normal so I don't know a whole lot about how to Diablo 2 Good. Does it have any way of respecing or anything? It was always kind of stressful feeling like I needed to have a character planned out from the start down to every last point and the exact gear they'd end up using or I'd just totally screw myself over.

I also remember really liking summon necros just for having my own pocket army murder everything, but I remember they fell off pretty hard post-normal from what I heard about, though I've heard in times since they've apparently become like the single most gear-independent class in the game and actually really drat good?
Later patches in d2 have a respec from akara after doing den of evil on each difficulty, so 3 total, and tokens to respec more times that drop from act bosses in hell. You can just dive right in.

The most popular ways to play right now that are close to the vanilla experience are Path of Diablo, Project D2 (super popular right now because it just launched), and single player with PlugY and other quality of life tools. There's also official bnet if you're a big fan of rmt & botting or slash diablo if you like maphack, 9player drop rate in 1p games, and small communities. There's also Median XL if you want heavily modded. They've done some crazy stuff.

PD2 is designed around teamwork and playing with other people. If you don't like that then choose one of the others ways to play. It has thousands of real people playing in a pretty legitimate environment and it's a new enough experience.

re:necro, in the current official patch they are the slowest class to go through the game with but you can beat the whole game with them and they aren't weak. Lots of people enjoy the play style and class design. I don't know pod or project d2 balance as much, but on project d2 I saw quite a few golem necros because you can summon multiple golems there and I also saw curse necro which looked strong and useful because you can cast multiple curses and consume them.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 23, 2020

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Khorne posted:

Later patches in d2 have a respec from akara after doing den of evil on each difficulty, so 3 total, and tokens to respec more times that drop from act bosses in hell. You can just dive right in.

The most popular ways to play right now that are close to the vanilla experience are Path of Diablo, Project D2 (super popular right now because it just launched), and single player with PlugY and other quality of life tools. There's also official bnet if you're a big fan of rmt & botting or slash diablo if you like maphack, 9player drop rate in 1p games, and small communities. There's also Median XL if you want heavily modded. They've done some crazy stuff.

PD2 is designed around teamwork and playing with other people. If you don't like that then choose one of the others ways to play. It has thousands of real people playing in a pretty legitimate environment and it's a new enough experience.

re:necro, in the current official patch they are the slowest class to go through the game with but you can beat the whole game with them and they aren't weak. Lots of people enjoy the play style and class design. I don't know pod or project d2 balance as much, but on project d2 I saw quite a few golem necros because you can summon multiple golems there and I also saw curse necro which looked strong and useful because you can cast multiple curses and consume them.

Median XL sounds absolutely bananas and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious, though something close to vanilla as well might be good for just kind of getting back into the swing of things a little. PD2 does sound interesting for the notion of actually playing D2 as a multiplayer game proper though, I think that's something I'm going to look into. Also it sounds like it has a lot of really nice quality of life changes to go with it? Plus it sounds like there's a fair few goons running around on it as well.

Slash Diablo sounds interesting for the improved drop rates, although I wonder if there's a mod that would do the same thing for singleplayer along with PlugY? PlugY sounds pretty wonderful to play with as well.

Honestly taking more of a look at it PD2 sounds like a pretty fantastic "enhanced" take on D2, making a lot of stuff that wasn't viable, viable rather than adding a whole ton of new stuff? And having a large, vibrant community and actually playing with other people sounds like precisely the jolt of nostalgia I'm looking for. Is it completely and entirely solo unfriendly in that it's basically impossible to do anything alone, or does it just give more weight to the idea of working with other players rather than doing everything yourself at all times?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Inverted Sphere posted:

Slash Diablo sounds interesting for the improved drop rates, although I wonder if there's a mod that would do the same thing for singleplayer along with PlugY? PlugY sounds pretty wonderful to play with as well.
Path of Diablo & Project D2 have a ton of qol changes. The maphack slash diablo maintains is used in both but with maphack disabled. It is what provides a significant portion of the qol changes. Lots of people who play single player also use that maphack for the qol changes but don't enable the cheaty features.

For single player, yes. You can set nodrop to 0. There is an easy mod maker that will let you do it if you set a config option to true. That mod maker lets you do a whole lot of other qol & fun things. Scroll down to the screenshots for examples of randomly generated set/unique items and massively increased mob density.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 23, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You can solo in pd2 just fine. I'd say 99% of people play solo or only do public baal runs as their interaction. Find a public group to run through hell or get someone to kill mobs if you hit too many immunities and you're good.

Median xl is great and actually extremely solo friendly and much less insane than people make it out to be. They have unique set items called tiered uniques that give a decent bonus, and you can do a cube recipe to upgrade them to better versions to get you through to the start of the endgame. It's a very unique concept for an arpg that manages to not fall into the d3 trap of sets being the endgame, it's rather the opposite

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Khorne posted:

I thought in pd2 meph flies and can cross the moat
Well that’s just terrifying.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Laslow posted:

Well that’s just terrifying.

I don't remember which mod added the swamp of Duriels, plural, but it sure was a surprise bumbling into without warning.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

You can solo in pd2 just fine. I'd say 99% of people play solo or only do public baal runs as their interaction. Find a public group to run through hell or get someone to kill mobs if you hit too many immunities and you're good.

Median xl is great and actually extremely solo friendly and much less insane than people make it out to be. They have unique set items called tiered uniques that give a decent bonus, and you can do a cube recipe to upgrade them to better versions to get you through to the start of the endgame. It's a very unique concept for an arpg that manages to not fall into the d3 trap of sets being the endgame, it's rather the opposite

Median XL eventually gets just as insane as its reputation, but that's the ultra-endgame stuff and by that time you've put in a few dozen hours and more or less maxxed out your character. Even if you call it quits without killing the various superbosses with their invincibility and insta-kill gimmicks you'll have had great time.

Eastern Sun is still being updated by some mad lad (there's a beta lying around that adds corruption orbs that can destroy your gear) and it's a decent halfway point between vanilla+ like PoD and total conversions like Median. You can pretty much ignore the insane crafting stuff if you want, it only matters for bleeding edge endgame characters (though it can make literally any build viable, which is fun). That said, it's an ancient mod and the jank shows.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 23, 2020

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I don't remember which mod added the swamp of Duriels, plural, but it sure was a surprise bumbling into without warning.

Eastern sun has the swap of Duriels. Not sure if other maps have it though.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Alright, think I'm taking up Project Diablo 2 to get my multiplayer/closer to vanilla fix and when that gets old, I'll give Median XL a shot! Not going to lie I'm quite curious how Golemancers in PD2, think that's what I'll make first to get up on my feet.

EDIT: Got curious and decided to fire up Median XL as well and good holy poo poo, well this just threw everything I expected out of Diablo modding straight out onto its rear end. Very intriguing though and seems well designed so far.

Inverted Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 25, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Median xl is honestly good enough to be its own stand-alone game and imo if they'd realized how much they were going to actually end up overhauling d2 in advance it probably straight up would be a standalone.

Also the charm endgame is a cool way of handling player power growth beyond just farming the same items for better rolls or some POE type randomized crafting. Plus the deterministic crafting system is all around pretty drat good.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Whatever you do, don't play Median XL first if you plan to play a more classic experience. You'll get spoiled by the increased resolution, leveling speed, progression, and endgame content. By the time you're done trolling through Act 2 on classic, you'll be at the end of normal in Median, with the beginning of a nice build and gear.