Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So wait, hold up i have even more questions.

quote:

“It’s taken a lot of effort,” Jess, from Chester, Cheshire, says. “I live with my parents, Louise and Paul, who are both in their 50s, and don’t pay rent or contribute to bills but I do buy my own food and toiletries.

quote:

"I don't even don't pinch a teabag off them, I want to stand on my own two feet.

These don't add up

edit:

quote:

Her rent was funded by her student loan which she will pay back when she gets a full-time job after graduating in May next year.

she must have a golden parachute because it's not that easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Minion of Freya posted:

Dammit Ricky your new girlfriend is stealing my business

lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a job filthying them, we sell them back and forth

It's a tax dodge

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Really want an Alan Smithee debit card

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Really want an Alan Smithee debit card

this is one of those weird things that i don't get.

so most trans people change their legal name at some point, but before you do that it can be a weird fraught situation where you're joe to some and jane to others. the worry is getting outed in places where you don't want to be. so if you put jane on your debit but John's on your ID, that's very risky; and if you go out for drinks with people who know you as John and you whip out Jane's card...

Tldr it's a good thing but very situational and could cause more problems than it solves, full trans supremacy now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

this is one of those weird things that i don't get.

so most trans people change their legal name at some point, but before you do that it can be a weird fraught situation where you're joe to some and jane to others. the worry is getting outed in places where you don't want to be. so if you put jane on your debit but John's on your ID, that's very risky; and if you go out for drinks with people who know you as John and you whip out Jane's card...

Tldr it's a good thing but very situational and could cause more problems than it solves, full trans supremacy now

It's gonna be real fun to explain to places that look at your ID too

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

we need a dictatorship of the transgenderiat

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Can just avoid all this if we abolish money.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-man posted:

full trans supremacy now

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Who even looks at the name on your card when you're buying things in person

Or is this another weird American thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Amphigory posted:

Who even looks at the name on your card when you're buying things in person

Or is this another weird American thing

I've had it happen I think twice in the 35 or so years I've had a card. Once they've also complained about my signature not matching.

e: I mean I've been asked for ID when paying twice. No idea, why.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

they do it if you "look poor"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I do it when people are running a tab with a debit card but also anyone who does that by definition 'looks Poor' so the above still stands

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I've had it happen maybe three times, I remember a gas station near me used to have a sign saying they do it for all transactions over $50, and a couple times they did it when I was buying big things at like target.

Hasn't happened in years though so I think it's kinda gone away now that everything's all chip-and-get-out-as-fast-as-fuckin'-possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shame Boy posted:

Hasn't happened in years though so I think it's kinda gone away now that everything's all chip-and-get-out-as-fast-as-fuckin'-possible.
Is America still using chip-and-PIN? I don't even remember the last time I got my card out of my wallet because it's been contactless for so long here. There's no chance for anyone to check the name on the card - if that was a thing anyone ever even did here, which I don't think it is. The only times I've ever been asked for ID at a shop was for buying alcohol or cigarettes, and they didn't check the name on the debit card to make sure it matched.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Is America still using chip-and-PIN? I don't even remember the last time I got my card out of my wallet because it's been contactless for so long here. There's no chance for anyone to check the name on the card - if that was a thing anyone ever even did here, which I don't think it is. The only times I've ever been asked for ID at a shop was for buying alcohol or cigarettes, and they didn't check the name on the debit card to make sure it matched.

You can do contactless too, pretty much everywhere supports that yeah. It tends to trigger on the like 5 other things I have in my wallet though like my work badge so I have to get the card out anyway, and once I have the card out I might as well just shove it in the chip read slot.

You can also just use your phone I guess.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I write software that integrates with card readers for a living and the ones we have pretty much everywhere in the states these days can do all the things - chip+pin, contactless, contactless-but-branded-apple, contactless-but-branded-google, whatever. Thing is they did such a lovely job explaining all this that a lot of people don't realize that you can tap to pay, or use your phone, or any of these other things, because they're all their own unique brand and marketing for what is fundamentally the same set of features. I barely ever see anyone tap to pay irl and I think that's why.

Like instead of just saying "these things are contactless payment methods, you can use them anywhere contactless is accepted" every company's gotta make their own name so you get like Visa Touchy Time, and Mastercard Wavemoneys, and Google Wallet, and Apple Wallet, and Apple Paylet, and Googlet Payboy, and Samsung Paydaddy and LG Dollarfriend, and at the end of the day I think it just seems like too much of a pain in the rear end to figure out for the average person despite all of these things being fundamentally the same thing and compatible.

Also now and then stores will have tap to pay disabled for absolutely no reason other than to make you look like an idiot when you hold your thing up to the sensor and nothing happens, that's fun.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ah, got it. It is another weird American thing

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Amphigory posted:

Ah, got it. It is another weird American thing

Because American Individual Capitalism is so strong and important and good, instead of having some single centralized systems where they matter, we have 12 private systems that all do the same thing under a "unique" brand for 10x the price instead. But it's okay because we're Free.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Well maybe if Shame Boy wrote better software it would all just work, damnit!

(No not really, I imagine writing software for something like that is very much a, "I finished this tiny piece I'm responsible for, now push it out into the vast morass" type of project).

e: oh, also this reminds me of the overwrought comic from a cool guy that isn't frequently referenced:

palindrome has issued a correction as of 10:32 on Nov 26, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Also now and then stores will have tap to pay disabled for absolutely no reason other than to make you look like an idiot when you hold your thing up to the sensor and nothing happens, that's fun.

My wife's old credit card processor (Square, I think? Not sure) charged higher fees for tap-to-pay than if it was swiped. Probably not applicable to a big business using an actual, big-boy processor, but it's a possibility at least. :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

palindrome posted:

Well maybe if Shame Boy wrote better software it would all just work, damnit!

(No not really, I imagine writing software for something like that is very much a, "I finished this tiny piece I'm responsible for, now push it out into the vast morass" type of project).

e: oh, also this reminds me of the overwrought comic from a cool guy that isn't frequently referenced:

Better software isn't possible.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

no it is, I just think it's called "AI"

as in, Ayyy, I didn't write any of it LOL

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

palindrome posted:

no it is, I just think it's called "AI"

as in, Ayyy, I didn't write any of it LOL

Outsourced it on Fiverr to some guys who outsourced it on Fiverr to some guys who...

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Tarn Adams of Dwarf Fortress should start outsourcing pieces of his new promised Steam release to random coders, so the game development process can become even more procedurally interesting

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

program = get_stackOverflow(searchTerm)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

suck it computer touchers i just automated your job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

palindrome posted:

Nah it's a "you're responsible for 100% of payments because nobody else wants to figure out how they work and if anything breaks ever we're going to call you and freak out" kind of deal. A few other people now know how they work finally at least but yeah. To be clear I don't write the actual software on the pin pad thing, just the software that talks to that. The thing on the pin pad is written by Verifone or whatever and, oh man, it is the worst. Like not insecure as far as I can tell, but just terrible. Slow, inconsistent and sometimes nonsensical user interface, disconnects from the network for seemingly no reason sometimes, lots of fun. Like it's software they made hardware designers write and it shows.

Sundae posted:

My wife's old credit card processor (Square, I think? Not sure) charged higher fees for tap-to-pay than if it was swiped. Probably not applicable to a big business using an actual, big-boy processor, but it's a possibility at least. :shrug:

Yeah some of em' will do that, I know they were (maybe still are) setting pricing like that to try to push chip read because it's the one hardest to fake and thus responsibility for fraud can be shunted off onto the end user.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

program = get_stackOverflow(searchTerm)

This is also already an xkcd comic. I hate that that knowledge is just like, bouncing around in my head, taking up space.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah some of em' will do that, I know they were (maybe still are) setting pricing like that to try to push chip read because it's the one hardest to fake and thus responsibility for fraud can be shunted off onto the end user.

Guess who just found the reason why no one wants to make sure people can tap to pay.

Shame Boy posted:

This is also already an xkcd comic. I hate that that knowledge is just like, bouncing around in my head, taking up space.

It's either that or posts.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah I have a hard time forgetting things that I read, especially web comics, rpg level-up statistics, and stack overflow knowledge about computers. Fortunately that doesn't apply to posts on this forum. PHEW

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Guess who just found the reason why no one wants to make sure people can tap to pay.

Judging by how many times I have to "implement" it in different ways (that are all the same way but nobody knows that so they request it separately over and over for each different branded version of it) I don't think that's actually the reason, or well at least not the main reason. All the poo poo I write is used on like cash registers by big corps though and they definitely get better deals on this stuff than normal people so eh.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Massachusetts weed stores require the online order name to match the state issued ID or passport and then the atm card name has to match as well if you pay with card.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Is America still using chip-and-PIN?

Some places don't even have chip and PIN yet

Mag stripe and sign is still very much out there

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There's even chip and signature if you want a payment method that makes no sense at all.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i have never used a contactless cc terminal hth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
chip is kind of becoming the norm but contactless is still very much a thing you shouldn’t count on when going wherever your going

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

There's even chip and signature if you want a payment method that makes no sense at all.

This is what my credit union does but only with a credit card and purchases over $50

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Giga Gaia posted:

i have never used a contactless cc terminal hth

re: chip and pin, does anyone refer to inserting the chip into the reader as "dipping"? i remember a good number of credit card commercials being like "swipe, dip, or tap, it's easy to pay" and thinking, wtf who calls it dipping. wonder if they were able to successfully astroturf that into being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I do it when people are running a tab with a debit card but also anyone who does that by definition 'looks Poor' so the above still stands

eat my rear end