Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

Someone at my group was raving about Spartacus forever, so we played it with him once. It took four hours and everyone's good will was running out by the end. If it took half the time we'd probably have enjoyed it.

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten that. There's a rule that you can play to a lower winning score that we always used, but it is still fairly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Someone at my group was raving about Spartacus forever, so we played it with him once. It took four hours and everyone's good will was running out by the end. If it took half the time we'd probably have enjoyed it.

My exact experience. The fights almost felt perfunctory and maybe I was playing a rule wrong but my gladiator had a spear or something that could reach and more movement and just seemed to dance all around the arena. If someone reskinned it and streamlined it I think it'd be a hit but as it stands I wouldn't touch it again any time soon.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
It had an X-men retheme, but I have no clue if it changed any rules

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone have any feelings about Noria? The designer was well-loved at Essen a few years ago and it seemed like one of those games that was going to take off and then... it just sort of disappeared? I'm seeing it on deep sales and clearances all over and I was wondering if anyone had any glowing reviews for it. Word I've read since is that it might be a little needlessly complicated and doesn't really stand out, but I'm game to hear alternative takes.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I've got the chance to get an all-in pledge of Planet Apocalypse at a not-terrible price (given I'm in NZ and shipping something like this is normally insane). I'm very tempted but curious if anyone here has played it and has any thoughts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

Anyone have any feelings about Noria? The designer was well-loved at Essen a few years ago and it seemed like one of those games that was going to take off and then... it just sort of disappeared? I'm seeing it on deep sales and clearances all over and I was wondering if anyone had any glowing reviews for it. Word I've read since is that it might be a little needlessly complicated and doesn't really stand out, but I'm game to hear alternative takes.

Noria has ingenious mechanisms, but it never quite clicked as a game. Sophia Wagner's released a couple of games since, but none of them made any great waves either.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Kerro posted:

I've got the chance to get an all-in pledge of Planet Apocalypse at a not-terrible price (given I'm in NZ and shipping something like this is normally insane). I'm very tempted but curious if anyone here has played it and has any thoughts?

It's fine but a pretty unremarkable game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm thinking of getting a deckbuilding game for christmas (for myself :(). Something single player or multi would be nice since lockdown means it's tough to see friend. Two that we're suggested were mage knight or one deck dungeon.

Any goons have experience with these? I'm looking for something that has some fantasy or sci-fi elements, the dungeon crawling aspect appeals to me. Fan of things like slay the spire or that poker quest rpg which was fun. 30-45 minutes per session?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I'm thinking of getting a deckbuilding game for christmas (for myself :(). Something single player or multi would be nice since lockdown means it's tough to see friend. Two that we're suggested were mage knight or one deck dungeon.

Any goons have experience with these?

One Deck Dungeon isn't a deckbuilder. It's also loving terrible, but you can check that for yourself with the app version.

Mage Knight is nominally a deckbuilder, but it's hugely overcomplicated. The three hour series of tutorial videos puts most people off.

As far as recommendations go I can't think of many good solo deckbuilders. Legendary Encounters: Alien is good but has the drawback of needing to house rule the first scenario if you play a true solo game (I recommend playing two or three decks by yourself instead).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kerro posted:

I have no idea what is up with their shipping. I backed the expansion kickstarter and the shipping was cheap(i'm also in NZ and it's almost never cheap) but their kickstarter page is full of people complaining about the shipping prices...

As for the actual game, dunno haven't played it yet. I brought it off their main site and some of the heroes came with different bases, asked customer service about it and they were like 'we only give replacements to the kickstarter version' which is kind of weird because you think they would have fixed the problem for the retail version. Between that, the issues with the pledge manager and the various other things i've seen people mention I'm probably not going to buy the other $500+ of content i'm missing.

Also the quality of the minis is all over the place, some of the heroes are pretty bad. They might look better painted idk, i'm painting up the larvae demons at the moment and they already look a ton better with just a wash

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dang, maybe I'll shell out for baseball highlights 2045. Apparently it can be single player..

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Maybe look up Renegade by Victory Point Games?

I like that one quite a lot

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

My exact experience. The fights almost felt perfunctory and maybe I was playing a rule wrong but my gladiator had a spear or something that could reach and more movement and just seemed to dance all around the arena. If someone reskinned it and streamlined it I think it'd be a hit but as it stands I wouldn't touch it again any time soon.

Yeah you need some good will in the game because you can get into fights that are essentially stalemates.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Any goons have experience with these? I'm looking for something that has some fantasy or sci-fi elements, the dungeon crawling aspect appeals to me. Fan of things like slay the spire or that poker quest rpg which was fun. 30-45 minutes per session?

Jedit posted:

One Deck Dungeon isn't a deckbuilder. It's also loving terrible, but you can check that for yourself with the app version.

Mage Knight is nominally a deckbuilder, but it's hugely overcomplicated. The three hour series of tutorial videos puts most people off.

As far as recommendations go I can't think of many good solo deckbuilders. Legendary Encounters: Alien is good but has the drawback of needing to house rule the first scenario if you play a true solo game (I recommend playing two or three decks by yourself instead).

A lot of folks (myself included) like Aeon's End as a solo or multiplayer co-op deckbuilder. It doesn't really have a significant dungeon crawling or RPG component, however, and the first two games (Aeon's End and War Eternal) are one-off boss battles. Aeon's End: Legacy adds a campaign and I found it a fun introduction to game systems, but the campaign is a linear series of boss battles and the legacy components are rather limited. The last two games (The New Age and Outcasts) have a campaign-lite system with a small amount of story and a few choices for modifying the market and character skills across a four-battle "expedition". It's also a fixed-market deckbuilder, so it's going to feel more like a puzzle than Slay the Spire or Poker Quest.

The digital version of the first game is on sale on steam, if you want to try it out. If you want to go with a physical game, I liked Legacy as an entry point with the caveat that it's components don't work quite as well for one-off games after the campaign is complete as those in other games in the series. I'd definitely watch a few playthrough videos first before dropping money!

E: Baseball Highlights is a solid choice as well.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 26, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah that looks really good. The digital version is on sale so I'll give it a try. Could be one I can play with family on steam as well which would be nice.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Two others to add that seem to come up a lot are: XenoShyft: Onlslaught (that SVWAG podcast stans constantly) and Shadowrun Crossfire (reputation for being very hard, rpg elements, best game ever according to Rahdo)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Xenoshyft is decent but not amazing, it's a bit.. Predictable with just the base game stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Xenoshyft is decent but not amazing, it's a bit.. Predictable with just the base game stuff.

And the not base game stuff was KS exclusive, of course.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

If you are looking for a solo quarantine game than Mage Knight is the one you want. Get the expansions too!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Aeon's End (+ all its expansions and standalones) is my favorite deckbuilder. The bosses bring a lot of variety to the game.

One Deck Dungeon was too light and forgettable, I got rid of my copy.

Mage Knight is a heavy multi-hour affair. I love it, but do know what you would be getting yourself into. I do agree that it's probably overcomplicated.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, Mage Knight owns and if you're into stuff like Slay the Spire, I bet you'll love it. But it's not under an hour unless you're way faster than me. It's a long heavy game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, Mage Knight owns and if you're into stuff like Slay the Spire, I bet you'll love it. But it's not under an hour unless you're way faster than me. It's a long heavy game.

I have over 1000 hours in Slay the Spire, which would be just enough time for a second four player game of Mage Knight. Which I hated.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with aeon's end to play with family on internet. Apparently a friend of a friend has a physical copy so I'll see if I can give it a few play runs as well before I look for it in physical.

Probably going for baseball highlights as my purchase. Mage knight sounds cool, but I want something fairly small and short for now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with aeon's end to play with family on internet. Apparently a friend of a friend has a physical copy so I'll see if I can give it a few play runs as well before I look for it in physical.

Probably going for baseball highlights as my purchase. Mage knight sounds cool, but I want something fairly small and short for now.

I assume you're not considering 1+ player LCGs like Arkham Horror or Marvel Champions as deck builders?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I can't give an opinion on that because I don't know what those are. I played a marvel deck building game once years ago but remember very little about it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ilmucche posted:

I can't give an opinion on that because I don't know what those are. I played a marvel deck building game once years ago but remember very little about it.

Think collectable card games, like Magic, but with a fixed (nonrandom) distribution model. Several of them are co-op/single player, where you build a deck and then use it to challenge an adversary deck. I believe Arkham also has some campaign elements wherein you can earn additions to your deck.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Also, think of Magic, in terms of the significant amount of money you'll need to pump into a LCG.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the goonsensus on Pandemic: Season 0 now that it's been out for a while? I'm playing on playing with my partner, who can handle Concordia easily but struggles with Spirit Island.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I was gonna defend One Deck Dungeon before realizing I haven't played my copy in ages.

Renegade is a good option for Mage Knight Lite. It's not amazing but ticks the same boxes for me and I can play it without melting my brain and my time.

For solo stuff there's also a lot more out there if you're not looking for a deckbuilder. Spirit Island is a beloved solo title that is deckbuilding adjacent, in that you are building up a small pool of cards over time that do actions when played.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the goonsensus on Pandemic: Season 0 now that it's been out for a while? I'm playing on playing with my partner, who can handle Concordia easily but struggles with Spirit Island.

Have they played regular Pandemic or either of the previous 2 seasons? I'd probably start there...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jewmanji posted:

Have they played regular Pandemic or either of the previous 2 seasons? I'd probably start there...

Pandemic 0 is where they introduce all the young versions of the characters that show up in 1 and 2, so you'll get a lot more out of it if you play them in order.

Er, wait, no, sorry, been reading up a lot on the Yakuza video game series.

I've got Pandemic 0 waiting to be played on my dining room table, still sealed, but until this Pandemic (IRL Edition) finishes up, I get the feeling it won't be opened. We may be trying to get a setup going with a webcam, since (as far as I know) there's no hidden information so I can just draw cards and tell my friends who have a view of the board what I drew, and let them keep track of their hands while I manage board state. Need some sort of rig for a webcam though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ilmucche posted:

Dang, maybe I'll shell out for baseball highlights 2045. Apparently it can be single player..

I adore BH2045, for what it's worth. Calling it a deckbuilder is a bit of a stretch just because it doesn't follow a lot of the genre conventions. Solo play is basically making a deck and playing off the top blind, which is fine but meh.

It does have an app as well, IOS for sure, dunno about android.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Also, think of Magic, in terms of the significant amount of money you'll need to pump into a LCG.

That's absolutely not true. LCGs don't have chase rares or mythic cards. Particularly if you're playing solo and have no pressure to remain "competitive".

I should've linked the LCG thread for reference:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608727&pagenumber=187&perpage=40

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
LCGs are a significant up front investment if you want to buy an entire run of one that's been out for a long time, but generally it's about $15 a month to have a full playset of everything or ~$100 for a full cycle. Marvel is notably cheaper too, since they aren't doing campaign cycles and you get full 5 mission campaigns with 2 complete hero decks for $30. If you like the theme Marvel would definitely be my recommendation for solo play.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I guess for Marvel you can pick and choose whatever, but for the cost of a single Arkham LCG 8-scenario campaign you could get Gloomhaven, and I'd say don't bother if you are just going to get a single Arkham campaign.

Also, I've been "chasing" some out-of-stock mythos packs for over 6 months now, and they're not skippable if I want to have the complete campaign.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

LCGs are a significant up front investment if you want to buy an entire run of one that's been out for a long time, but generally it's about $15 a month to have a full playset of everything or ~$100 for a full cycle. Marvel is notably cheaper too, since they aren't doing campaign cycles and you get full 5 mission campaigns with 2 complete hero decks for $30. If you like the theme Marvel would definitely be my recommendation for solo play.

The flip side of this is that Arkham Horror is campaign-based and Marvel Champions is just one-off battles (outside of the mini-campaign in the Red Skull expansion), so they'll have different appeal depending on what people want out of the game. I personally find the campaign structure more engaging overall, though I do like Marvel's nutso power curve as you get your character's engine running.

Llyranor posted:

Also, I've been "chasing" some out-of-stock mythos packs for over 6 months now, and they're not skippable if I want to have the complete campaign.

This is a good point too, though - stock has been iffy and inconsistent this entire year and it can be difficult to complete cycles.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Maybe it's because I'm a filthy casual, but I'm perfectly content to buy a $30 core set, and pick up an occasional card lack when I feel like mixing things up. You don't actually have to buy everything available unless you think it's worth it to you.

Too bad about the Arkham scenarios being out of print, I thought I might pick that up some day.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Llyranor posted:

I guess for Marvel you can pick and choose whatever, but for the cost of a single Arkham LCG 8-scenario campaign you could get Gloomhaven, and I'd say don't bother if you are just going to get a single Arkham campaign.

LCGs are great if you're entering at the ground floor. They're much less great if you're entering into a mature game several years in, especially when it's a competitive LCG (Netrunners, Thrones, L5R is now approaching that point). Because distribution is fixed, you can't buy singles, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to for example get a cheap budget deck where you replace some of the pricier cards with "good-enough" alternatives like in magic for peanuts - no, you have to hunt down each pack , which is particularlly troublesome when each faction only gets 1-2 cards per pack. Coop LCGs are slightly better in this regard, but still suffer from many of the same issues.

This all turns off new players and with the natural attrition of players, it becomes an increasingly insurmountable barrier to entry without rapid and efficient rotation.

Coop LCGs are better, but they're also lifestyle games in the snese that you really ened to be willing to devote your time to learning the game for them to be truly rewarding.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crackbone posted:

I adore BH2045, for what it's worth. Calling it a deckbuilder is a bit of a stretch just because it doesn't follow a lot of the genre conventions. Solo play is basically making a deck and playing off the top blind, which is fine but meh.

It does have an app as well, IOS for sure, dunno about android.

I got the app but my phone is to old to play it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think at least one new spirit aspect for Shadows Flicker like Flame might be kind of overtuned, at least in solo. Glimpse of the shadowed void buys you a lot of time for digging into your growth track, which starts to get really good in the midgame, and by then you've had a couple chances to fish for a good major or gather all your best minors. Plus there's all that incidental fear you've been scooting down.

I'm not complaining. It's a lot of fun.

E: maybe it's because I'm playing Sweden 3-5, which is vulnerable to explorer manipulation, and 5 damage cities matter a lot less when you can get a strife on there the same turn it ravages.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 26, 2020