Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ragequit posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game before and heard great things about this one. Checking a few reviews, it appears to be a mix of dungeons and slice of life. A few reviewers thought the dungeons were a on the weaker side but the town gameplay was really well done. What's the split there? If it's heavy on the dungeon side I'll probably pass.

it’s like 50/50 I’d say

usually you wanna get every dungeon down in a single in-game day so its usually like spending 4ish hours in a dungeon and then spending the next few hours doing daily life/plot stuff and back and forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just discovered the courseplay mod for Farming Sim that lets you automate stuff and I wish I knew about this sooner, so much wasted time driving around baling silage manually like a drat sucker. It adds a fun extra layer of figuring out how to automate a task with the tools provided on top of building up your farm. The UI is dogshit though and guides are hard to come by in non-youtube formats so a lot of my time is spent figuring out just what the hell everything is by trial and error.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragequit posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game before and heard great things about this one. Checking a few reviews, it appears to be a mix of dungeons and slice of life. A few reviewers thought the dungeons were a on the weaker side but the town gameplay was really well done. What's the split there? If it's heavy on the dungeon side I'll probably pass.

If you're not determined to 100% the game first playthrough (or ever, really, because while I love P4 it's also a long game I wouldn't want to play multiple times) you have a lot of flexibility in how you divide your dungeon time and your town story time. If you're ok with the idea of not seeing everything possible across the course of the story, it's pretty flexible when it comes to how you spend your time. If you're looking for a completionist run through, you're going to have to run dungeons pretty efficiently

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So hey if people are still into balls-hard roguelite platformers, TowerClimb is about $6 now. Never got as much attention as I think it deserved, I've seen like two people on Twitch who play it religiously, it is insane how much there is to discover in it and there seems to be surprisingly little documentation but you need to be kind of crazily hardcore to get anywhere in it. No persistent upgrades, no checkpoints that I ever came across, just an ever-increasing fractal of ways to die horribly and instantly. There is an ending to reach though... apparently. It looks like it runs at about the resolution of a Game Boy, but is surprisingly atmospheric with that in mind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh that looks neat and it reminded me I wanted to check out Kathy Rain as well...

But i stopped myself because Kathy Rain is on gamepass! I mentioned this in another thread but I am at the point where I need to somehow cross-reference Gamepass and Humble Bundle offerings with steam before making a purchase, it's getting unwieldy...

Oh man I also had Whispers of a Machine unredeemed from an old Humble Bundle... are people more conscientious about cataloging their collections now that game access is so fragmented lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ragequit posted:

Most people just bum rush each month's dungeon on the first day you can so you can do more life sim stuff and P4G is very skewed in the player's favour even without touching the difficulty setting so you can make pretty light work of the dungeon dives.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also P4 is basically just Jojo's season 4.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The PC version of P4 offers a lot of convenience features to make dungeons less time-consuming as well as extra time slots in which you can get free points for social links that aren't ready to rank up yet, so the game has become much more forgiving overall even if you don't make a point of optimizing your schedule. You can pretty much complete every social link and sidequest with weeks to spare even if you go into it completely blind.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’m still working on my backlog so for me it’ll just Death Stranding and Doom 64 this sale. But Essobie pointed out earlier that legit key seller have DS for even less, so I guess it’ll just be Doom 64 for €1,50 on Steam itself :thumbsup:

I have been eyeing Wolfenstein: New Order + Old Blood for a while, but with Microsoft acquiring Bethesda I’ll just wait until those are on Game Pass.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

So what's up with Dying Light: Hellraid? I was going through my wishlist and noticed it was Mostly Negative, what's the problems with it?

I also considered buying it during the last sale, but decided otherwise after checking out some reviews. Apparently it's just bad all around. The enemies are lame, level design is poor, the mechanics are worse than in the main game and it's pretty short. Even if the DLC was 50% off, it wouldn't be worth it. 15%? No way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

explosivo posted:

Hows Mankind Divided for $5 ? I liked Human Rev a lot but remember the newer one getting a lukewarm reception.

It's underrated. The beginning is real clunky, and the end is too, but the deus exing on the middle is excellent. Needs an ssd tho.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Not mine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sininu posted:

Not mine

impressive

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VR games gettin too real

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that's one way to break the fourth wall.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I feel threatened

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I think it's kind of cool, actually. Though not very user friendly.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

I just discovered the courseplay mod for Farming Sim that lets you automate stuff and I wish I knew about this sooner, so much wasted time driving around baling silage manually like a drat sucker. It adds a fun extra layer of figuring out how to automate a task with the tools provided on top of building up your farm. The UI is dogshit though and guides are hard to come by in non-youtube formats so a lot of my time is spent figuring out just what the hell everything is by trial and error.

Yeah courseplay basically can turn the game into a farming empire simulator. It is really satisfying once you have it set up so the AI harvests the field, drives up in a truck to unload the combine, and then drives off and sells it all on its own. I do suggest turning the random traffic off though since I don't think it adds much to the game but it really disrupts courseplay.

Follow me is also a useful little mod for baling and such if you still want to drive your tractors but don't want to go over the same field three or four times in a row (mowing, tedding, baling, and then pickup).

Farming sim is definitely one of those games were mods open it up in a big way (and are thankfully very easy to install).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's finally happened. Resident Evil 3 is under $20, which is the price point I've been waiting for: https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-resident-evil-3-54582

edit: Also $19.79 on Steam itself

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 26, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no buy until they change the name to Resident Evil Threemake

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Do not buy Gunfire Reborn unless you're ready to deal with some rough stuff.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyone know if the new Black Mesa update fixed their aimbot marines

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Started Ys 8 this morning and one thing I'd completely forgotten about the series is how good the music is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17_m1hJ2wg

:rock:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So hey if people are still into balls-hard roguelite platformers, TowerClimb is about $6 now. Never got as much attention as I think it deserved, I've seen like two people on Twitch who play it religiously, it is insane how much there is to discover in it and there seems to be surprisingly little documentation but you need to be kind of crazily hardcore to get anywhere in it. No persistent upgrades, no checkpoints that I ever came across, just an ever-increasing fractal of ways to die horribly and instantly. There is an ending to reach though... apparently. It looks like it runs at about the resolution of a Game Boy, but is surprisingly atmospheric with that in mind.

There is a checkpoint about a third of the way through that you can choose to begin from once you've reached it. That's also the point where the game goes from sort-of generic biomes (bug zone, plant zone, lava zone, etc.) to just the craziest, coolest poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuligin posted:

You’re actually supposed to get shot a fair number of times in Half Life so no they haven’t.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean, they ARE marines. If anyones gonna be good at shootin things its gonna be them

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fuligin posted:

Last I saw, there was a mod that reduces their bursts to what it was in the original HL instead of the :blastu: it is in BM.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kibayasu posted:

You’re actually supposed to get shot a fair number of times in Half Life so no they haven’t.

I dunno if you've played BM or the original HL but the new marines' time to aim and rof was completely ludicrous and turned every marine encounter (the most enjoyable part of the original) into a game of tedious peak-a-boo. But I guess it's ~~their vision~~

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
My wishlist's shat itself, claims there's nothing in it, while the button just up and right to it shows "WISHLIST (35)"

:confused:

ed: and it just unfucked itself, after the nth reload. Steam servers :shrug:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kerbtree posted:

My wishlist's shat itself, claims there's nothing in it, while the button just up and right to it shows "WISHLIST (35)"

Having this too, but I assume it's the normal Steam sale freakout and it'll be back to normal in an hour or so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fuligin posted:

you have to shoot them

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

poo poo, I can't decide if I want Metro Exodus, or Farcry 5. I love both franchises, but I only have enough time to play one of them. Any thoughts?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what does the DLC for hunt showdown do? are you at a disadvantage without any of it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

poo poo, I can't decide if I want Metro Exodus, or Farcry 5. I love both franchises, but I only have enough time to play one of them. Any thoughts?

I haven't played those specific games, but the Metro series always felt fairly thoughtful and detailed while Far Cry was more of a grind

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I dunno if you've played BM or the original HL but the new marines' time to aim and rof was completely ludicrous and turned every marine encounter (the most enjoyable part of the original) into a game of tedious peak-a-boo. But I guess it's ~~their vision~~

Depending on when the last time you played Black Mesa was they did make some changes to the marines. I played it when they first released the retail version and again when Xen was added and didn’t feel anything unfair going on with them.

I eve believe whatever changes they made to the marines were done before the initial retail release.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kibayasu posted:

Depending on when the last time you played Black Mesa was they did make some changes to the marines. I played it when they first released the retail version and again when Xen was added and didn’t feel anything unfair going on with them.

I eve believe whatever changes they made to the marines were done before the initial retail release.

I don't think I've played since the first public release so that sounds promising.

God willing, now they can get cracking on opposing force

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bioshuffle posted:

Even if you had all the time in the world I’d still recommend Metro Exodus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

ed: and it just unfucked itself, after the nth reload. Steam servers :shrug:
only 35 games wishlisted, look at this scrub!!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morter posted:

Yeah I picked it up a while back but refunded it after an hour, there's definitely potential but it needs a lot more time to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Morter posted:

The (optional) puzzle vaults are the only part of the game like that, but yeah the rolling boulder puzzles are the loving worst and me and my buds skip them if we don't have the cat in our party to eat up a boulder or two to make way for everybody else. Mercifully they seem to have made the puzzle vaults a lot less common than combat vaults with a recent patch (could be luck and confirmation bias on my part) so the devs seem at least a little aware their players hate them. I really hope they eventually remove them entirely.

The rest of the game is loads of fun tho.