Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Which SD character is most likely to put their yoga mat down in the squat rack area and then get a Stone Cold Stunner from Gabby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Goops is the psychic manifestation of all the sweat people didn't wipe off the equipment and seats.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Neophyte posted:

Goops is the psychic manifestation of all the sweat people didn't wipe off the equipment and seats.

No wonder she is salty

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I just feel terrible for poor Zoe here with that last panel, she's been coming out of her shell ever so slowly and she finally reaches out... and she gets dropped with zero warning into the mother of all drama scenes. Gotta be downright terrifying for someone as socially anxious as she seems to be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hell yeah Undine

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-33 link

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hell yeah Undine

came here to post exactly this

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Theme for the next couple of pages
But yeah, this isn't Undine's first rodeo and this time she knows to hold onto the reigns or a fractured group.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't skip the speech bubbles in the background, by the way!

It's a really good use of space.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah that was really well done

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Ooh I hadn't noticed that, great detail.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man Bud's an rear end in a top hat.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

habeasdorkus posted:

Man Bud's an rear end in a top hat.

To be fair, Harley deciding to fight Bud on this is not helping matters, which is kind of the point. The girls are getting caught up in their own heads to their own detriment, just like Team Alchemical.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Teenagers that aren't assholes are the exception, not the rule. It's just different when it's a life-or-death carnival every night.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which brings us to an interesting point. Goops may be selecting her targets (consciously or otherwise) based on emotional turmoil. Team Alchemical were in dark places emotionally when they got attacked, and Undine was still shattered from losing her team the next two times that Goops showed up. Then Rue was upset from a fight with her parents the next time, and we know Cassidy was all messed up after the confrontation with the training club when Goops found her.

I'm thinking Goops is attracted to negative emotions, so going out while upset is how you get gooped.

e: While reading back through to check Goop's appearances, I also noticed this sneaky bit of foreshadowing...

...where-in on the night she dies, Cassidy declares that "...I'm never exercising again." About which she is totally correct!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 27, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oooh that'd make a lotta sense, you also have Tessa who's in a dark place and getting visits by Goops nightly.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If something as small as a spat with someone is enough to get on goopdar for the night then I think the connection's kind of, I dunno, meaningless? The night alchemical died, I would be shocked if there wasn't other large groups that same night who were having their own interpersonal conflicts because they're teenagers and you are like 5 minutes away from being really angry at someone. Meanwhile goops went after Cassidy for...being kind of a poo poo while Undine (someone directly on the shitlist) was elsewhere having a big angry & sad breakdown over the whole situation and Harley was just Pissed Off over the whole affair; more meanwhile, monster attacks have been escalating for weeks now for everyone. & if general on-edgeness was a thing I feel goops would've rose to power way sooner, or at least after any notable girl dies (which have been more than enough in this history for statistics galore).

Tessa's in a dark place but her situation is also even more unique than Undine's, so I think that is the real reason Goops is interested rather than strong untreated Depression.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I sincerely doubt Goops went after Cassidy for any other reason than being adjacent to one of her primary targets of interest and subsequently vulnerable. It was an opportunity hit, nothing more. Goops is, by her own implicit admission, killing time by killing magical girls until she gets her claws on Tessa and/or Undine.

The real mystery is still what is Goops and why does she have Hella Beef with Team Alchemical.

Personally I have vague theories that Goops is literally the person powering the nightly shield and her functionally eternal imprisonment is why she's Hella Mad but that's COMPLETELY speculative.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

jng2058 posted:

...where-in on the night she dies, Cassidy declares that "...I'm never exercising again." About which she is totally correct!

😬

She would've been okay if she'd said "next time I'm exercising half as hard".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

😬

She would've been okay if she'd said "next time I'm exercising half as hard".

More like she should have said "I'll be cutting back on all the reps"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The real mystery is still what is Goops and why does she have Hella Beef with Team Alchemical.

Personally I have vague theories that Goops is literally the person powering the nightly shield and her functionally eternal imprisonment is why she's Hella Mad but that's COMPLETELY speculative.
My money is still on her being Alchemical Void.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Big Jeanne energy

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

jng2058 posted:

e: While reading back through to check Goop's appearances, I also noticed this sneaky bit of foreshadowing...

The writer has confirmed that this was 100% intentional.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

T-Pose for dominance

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

gabby, still just off screen, doing dead lifts: its good advice, work through that frustration

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
For God's sake, someone hug that poor girl.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wittgen posted:

For God's sake, someone hug that poor girl.

It's really not safe to hug someone who is holding up like, any amount of weight.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
This page just fills me with a deep sadness, because I know what this comic’s major influence is, and I have a pretty good idea of how bad things are going to get. And I just feel bad for these kids. :(

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Mary Cagle is undoubtedly very significantly a fan of Madoka, but that doesn't mean that Sleepless Domain is necessarily going to tread the same ground as it did.

In fact, I'd say that it makes it less likely that Sleepless Domain will go quite as bleak as Madoka did. There really wouldn't be much point in writing a story like SD if it was just going to be a flat rehash of another, significantly more famous work, and I feel like Mary's a good enough writer to not do that purposefully, and understands what Madoka did well enough to not do it accidentally.

(also, the Four Specific Things we were told in advance:)

Mary Cagle posted:

- Monsters aren't dead kids
- No Time Travel
- It's not All Just a Dream
- It's not Madoka

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When you get right down to it, Sleepless Domain is less a story about pain and more a story about healing. The whole story since Team Alchemical died has been about Undine picking up the pieces and rebuilding her life. This isn't a story that wallows in misery, throwing increasingly brutal tragedies at its characters until they all break.

Which isn't to say there isn't going to be more tragedy, of course; this whole arc has been about it. But the whole tone of the story is about coming back from it stronger, and I expect a happy ending in the end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My impression of Cagle is that while she’s a big fan of Madoka that doesn’t mean she isn’t critical of it and its influence on the genre.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Well, no, I don't think SD is going to have a bad ending. Madoka itself didn't have a bad ending, but you had to pass through a lot of fire and brimstone to get there, and I think the same thing is going to happen in SD. This is all speculation, but I don't think it's unreasonable speculation, especially considering that SD's setting (a post-apocalyptic domed city) is even bleaker than Madoka's.

And I know Mary said the comic wasn't a full-on rip off of Madoka, and I believe that, but IIRC she also said something along the lines of "I'm surprised at how many people still think Sleepless Domain is a fun and lighthearted comic".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-35

:unsmith:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Disaster averted, the girls are alright.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a good comic

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Gabby is really beginning to consider getting a home weight set.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Bud is great :3:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the admission that Bud really does just freak out about not knowing things. Her whole rumour network thing is at least in part her being neurotic.

My hopes for next chapter is we'll see Zoe train with Kokoro and Undine train with Bud. Both of those pairs would have a lot to talk about, and off-screen Vedika could probably use some of Harley's straight talking to help her deal with all that guilt.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Last panel: Cassidy arrives: "Sorry for being late. I was visiting my grandma."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Twibbit posted:

Gabby is really beginning to consider getting a home weight set.

Last panel of the comic is gonna be Gabby using a dumbbell to smash Goop into, er, goop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kennel posted:

Last panel: Cassidy arrives: "Sorry for being late. I was visiting my grandma."
"She has a nice farm upstate."